Start by marking “Second Chance Friends” as Want to Read:
Second Chance Friends

Second Chance Friends

The national bestselling author of The Accidental Book Club shares a novel of four ordinary women rediscovering themselves and their futures at the most unexpected time….

Karen Freeman, Melinda Crocker, and Joanna Chambers have never met—but every morning they get their coffee at the Tea Rose Diner.  Karen stops in on her way to the office job she’s held for more than twent
Published May 5th 2015 by NAL

Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
An accident, three women, and then four women to complete their circle.

Could the circle be completed, though, with the fourth woman?

Karen, Melinda, and Joanna met by chance the day a school bus ran into a car waiting at a red light as they helped save the children on the crashed bus but not the husband of the fourth woman, Maddie, in the car.

All three women had personal issues, but as women are they all were there for each other. They were even there for Maddie who really didn't want any part o
Sheila DeChantal
May 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Second Chance Friends was a little hard for me in parts due to the subject matter. Thankfully the accident in the book is in the beginning and while it is the glue of the book – it is not the soul. The soul of the book is what I appreciated and that was the friendships that came out of nowhere. A wise person once said (my son), that people come into our lives for a reason. Those who do not get you will drift away and that is ok because better people will come into your life who will genuinely lo ...more
PacaLipstick Gramma
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: goodreads-win
I won this book thru a Goodreads Giveaway.

Another book where the synopsis is better than the book. The writing is good, but I did not care for any of the characters. I so sick of reading about insecure, overwrought, depressed, woe is me, I can't make decisions, let people walk all over me, treat me like dirt, I'm not worthy of being loved, don't know how to parent, can't live without a man in my life or because I got burned once all men are bad, think it's OK to cross professional boundaries, an
Nicole
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I won this book in a Goodreads Firstreads giveaway. The cover has a blurb that says "A powerful voice in women's fiction." I think that is a great description. It is a story about 4 women in different stages of their lives all struggling through hardships. They meet over tragic circumstances and a friendship is born. This novel showed what can happen when women support one another (instead of judging and tearing each other down). Definitely requires a box of tissues to read!
Mary
Mar 05, 2015 rated it liked it
On an early September morning four women witness or are part of a terrible traffic accident. That experience brings together the women whose paths otherwise would not have crossed.

Each woman is living her own personal drama that is close to boiling over. When they are drawn back to the diner near the scene of the crash they form an unusual friendship that will become stronger with each meeting. Each will feel support from the others and ultimately learn the meaning of true friendship.

I enjoyed J
BJ
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016, mine, womens-fiction
This is the second book that I have read by this author. The first, The Accidental Book Club, I really liked. This one, not as much. It was just okay for me. It was a story about friends and their relationships, which I liked. There were three strangers having breakfast at an all-nite diner one morning when there is an accident that happens right in front of them. A bus hits another car. Inside the car is a man and his newly pregnant wife. This is the beginning of a friendship between the 3 stra ...more
Sara Smith
Oct 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Four women all going through hard situations come together during a tragedy.
Teri
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The story revolves around a group of women who happen to be in the same place at the same time and help during a tragic accident. It shows that once incident can really change the course of your life!
Mary Jo
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good, a quick read
Jessica
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written! I loved this book!
Stephanie Dahlberg
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it
An enjoyable, well-written book with some meat.
Lori
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a refreshing read about heartbreak and friendship, read just at the right time. I truly enjoyed this book.
Laurie Carlson
On Friday, the last day before the Labor Day weekend, the traffic is crazy, other people are looking forward to an extra day off from everything, and the kids on a certain school bus are acting up horribly, throwing books and pencils out of the windows and more. Of course the school bus driver is upset, trying to control the kids and drive at the same time through the busy city streets that she doesn’t see a red light until it’s too late. She slams on the brakes, but the unthinkable happens. The ...more
OpenBookSociety.com
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kayt

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Kayt

Second Chance Friends is an engrossing tale of 4 ladies, all different, all not perfect, that all come together over a horrible tragedy. The Tea Rose is a nice little place to get pies and a good cup of coffee to start your day. As three ladies, Karen, Melinda and Joanna sit separately, thinking of their own lives, a horrific accident unfolds out the window. They go to help what turns out to be a school bus and car crash.
Alicia
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found this book by chance on the self of a bargain book store. I enjoyed this story. While the premise was a tad sad, the over arching story was uplifting. The characters were extremely affecting and relatable. Each woman’s story was heart wrenching and touching. I loved how they each came together to reach out to Maddie despite how noisy their own lives were. The plot was well written and paced perfectly. The ending was sweet and hopeful which fit the story.
Susan Becraft
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Realistic story of random human connections

This is the story of three women who are total strangers when they witness a horrific automobile accident from a diner window and attempt to help the victims. Their primary focus is on an overturned school bus until they notice a demolished car lying on its roof. Inside, the women find a young couple. The injured woman, clutching a positive home pregnancy test stick, is saved, but her husband dies before her eyes.

As time passes, the women meet every mor
Sara
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review for Chick Lit Central (www.chicklitcentral.com)

Jennifer Scott is a magnificent storyteller. She weaved the lives and stories of four very different women, each going through their own turmoil, into a delicate, intricate web of honesty and empowerment. It was interesting to learn about Karen, Melinda, Joanna and Maddie, women who might be the next door neighbor, or someone you’ve run into before a time or two and didn’t realize just how much they become a part of your life, and your own st
R J Mckay
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book from Goodreads in exchange for a review.

Four women…four lives on a collision course to save one another.

Maddie and her husband Michael couldn’t be happier. Maddie was pregnant and nothing could be more perfect for this young couple who were so much in love. But then their world was turned upside down, when a tragic accident took Michael’s life.

Karen, Melinda and Joanna were inside the diner when they saw the school bus barrel into the car All three ran out to do what they co
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
* ARC Received in exchange for my honest review*

Women are powerful creatures when we need to me. We put aside thoughts and feelings to help others when it is needed and usually do not expect anything in return. Such is the basis of this powerful new read.

I remember quite well the authors first novel, The Sister Season. It explored a hurting family and all of the issues that we deal with even in times of grief. Issues that mold and change us too.

This book is a bit similar but it deals with the s
Lauren Wallace
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank penguin Random House Canada for providing me with an advance copy of this novel. I really enjoyed this novel. The book is set up in short chapters each focusing on one of three women who's lives all get changed for the better after dealing with an horrible situation. This is one of the books that makes you question how everything happens for a reason. It's amazing the secrets we hide from the world, and how it takes good friends for you to share your worries.
I would recomm
Ellen Moore
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was a very good book which dealt with four women who met and gradually formed a friendship following a horrible school bus/car accident. Each woman had unique problems, and the author did an excellent job of describing their struggles and eventual solutions to their difficult situations. This was a first reads book my daughter won from Goodreads and loaned to me. I had not read this author before but certainly enjoyed having the opportunity to become acquainted with her. This book contains ...more
Fluff Smut & Murder
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I thought Second Chance Friends was going to be a typical women’s friendship novel, but I was proven wrong. It was such a pleasant change from all of the other “chick-lit” friendship novels. In this tale, the characters are anything but cookie cutter and I have never seen their particular problems and concerns in another story so it was an absolute joy to read, even if the subject matter was a little depressing.

What I loved: The way these women rallied around another and placed their own issues
Stephanie Rollins
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
What happens when three women witness an accident and help the first responders? They develop a lasting bond. With this bond, they attempt to reach a pregnant woman, Maddie, who lost her husband in the disaster. Maddie suffers a deep depression. Can they help her through.

In the meantime, all three women are battling through their own issues. The three form a family of sorts.

There are good times and sad times in this book. I suppose it reflects life. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and I recom
Ann
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 women are drawn together due to a terrible accident. They are all wrapped up in their own lives and problems until a bus hits a car in front of a diner. This story deals with some serious issues and everything does not turn out perfectly at the end of the book but that makes it all the more real and endearing. I like Jennifer Scott's writing and her insight into friendship and marriage. A good read.
Ameena
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Not really sure what possessed me to pick up this book but I really wish I hadn't.

In short this story had potential but the characters were utterly boring, in some cases pathetic (Karen for example), and generally unlikable. The story was predictable with no twists or turns.

Sorry to be harsh but if you are looking for a very average story with a neat little ending than this may be the book for you!
Amanda
Jun 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Four women, with nothing in common, meet in the midst of a terrible accident, a tragedy for one of the women. Over the next year, they go from complete strangers to friends.
Each woman has her own problems, but as they come together to help Maddie, the other three work out difficulties in their own lives.
Ruth
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Disclosure- I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.
Three strangers become friends with a young pregnant woman after a horrific car accident. Chick lit, a beach read, light fiction- call it what you like but I enjoyed reading this story of women unexpectedly becoming friends and supporting each other. A story of how life can take you in a direction that you didn't plan or expect.
Samantha
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very interesting book. Emotional, but inspiring how life leads in you mysterious directions at times when you need it most. Bringing in new friends when you are questioning old, bringing in new lifelines when your old ones can't handle your life.
Susan
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
this story is a emotional and inspiring of four woman who will come togather to help maddie all there lifes will change have the tissues handy you will cry out at sadness and happness love the story thanks to goodreads firstreads for the free book
Debbie
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
Four women, one accident, lives changed forever, friendsips formed...

The story is compelling - well written, believable characters. I thoroughly enjoyed this book!

I won this book as a Goodreads first-reads giveaway.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • There goes the Bride
  • The Wedding Dress: Masquerade Bride
  • The Sisters
  • Of Rags and Riches Romance Collection: Nine Stories of Poverty and Opulence During the Gilded Age
  • Under a Desert Sky
  • The Grass Castle
  • The House At The End Of The Street (Swallows Fall, #5)
  • Nobody's Child