Start by marking “Gathering Prey (Lucas Davenport, #25)” as Want to Read:
Gathering Prey (Lucas Davenport, #25)

Gathering Prey

(Lucas Davenport #25)

4.20  ·  Rating details ·  20,464 ratings  ·  1,566 reviews
The extraordinary new Lucas Davenport thriller from #1 New York Times–bestselling author and Pulitzer Prize–winner John Sandford.

Lucas Davenport’s adopted daughter, Letty, is home from college when she gets a phone
Published April 28th 2015 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about Gathering Prey, please sign up.

·  20,464 ratings  ·  1,566 reviews

Start your review of Gathering Prey (Lucas Davenport, #25)
Kemper
Lucas Davenport relentlessly tracks down a murderous gang of hippies?!? It’s not even my birthday!

Davenport’s adopted daughter Letty befriends a young woman, Skye, who is part of a subculture called Travelers who wander around the country living like hobos. After her friend is murdered Skye contacts Letty for help and tells her that the people responsible are a pack of jackals led by a guy named Pilate. Skye is convinced that Pilate’s gang roams around in an RV torturing and killing people.

Letty
Andrew Smith
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
According to a web site I was checking out last week, the four personal traits that define an effective leader are: honesty, openness, decisiveness and conscientiousness. Of all the cops in all the crime fiction I’ve read (quite a lot), Lucas Davenport is the one who most obviously possess all of these – and he does so in spades! You can also add humour, personal gravitas and a huge dose of charisma to the list. I guess you could say I’m a fan.

It’s a pleasure to welcome him back for his 25th
Alex is The Romance Fox
What is the secret to keeping a long-running series successfully going for 25 books? Some of the challenges facing any author are keeping a character fresh and interesting and continuously having to come up with new, inventive and great story ideas.

John Sandford has certainly met these challenges in Gathering Prey, the #25 installment in his superb The Prey Series.

If you are a fan of this series like I am, you will not be disappointed in the latest story of the Lucas Davenport that we have seen
James Thane
The twenty-fifth book in John Sandford's Prey series opens when his adopted daughter, Letty, befriends a pair of Travelers while at college in California. The two are a couple and, like other Travelers, they move from place to place, most often camping out and living as cheaply as possible, sometimes panhandling to make ends meet. The two tell Letty that they are planning to be in Minnesota later in the summer en route to a series of festivals. After treating them to lunch, Letty gives them her ...more
Liz
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
This Davenport mystery is based on a Charlie Manson like cult, traveling the country and leaving dead bodies in its wake. Extremely entertaining, with a great mix of humor and suspense. I listened to this and the narrator was superb.
Lesa
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There have been twenty-five Prey novels by John Sandford, and he's still at the top of his game with Gathering Prey. The latest book featuring Lucas Davenport is gritty and brutal, but I read it straight through in seven hours.

Lucas' daughter, Letty, attends Stanford, and it's in California that she first meets Skye and Henry. The two young people are Travelers, panhandlers who move from city to city because they like to stay on the move. But, she's back home in Minnesota for the summer when
Mike French
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another 5 star Lucas Davenport novel! This series by John Sandford is one of my all time favorites. If you haven't read any of the PREY books, do yourself a favorite and start ASAP! Best if you start at #1. You have a lot of enjoyable reading ahead, as this is #25
Cindy Newton
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the 25th book in the Prey series, and I've been reading them pretty much since the first one came out. When the new book appears on the shelves, I buy it--no need to read the jacket, no need to flip through the pages, no need to even check the reviews. What's to check? It's a Sanford--the quality is guaranteed! This book is no exception.

Now, I know there are a lot of detective/crime books out there--a LOT. And I know that some of them are probably really good. For some reason, they don't
Albert Riehle
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm going to break this review up into two parts. In the first part, I'll review the book itself, and by that, I mean the plot line that is unique to this book only. In the second part, I'll talk about the series as a whole and how this book plays into it--I'll warn you in advance, while the first part won't have any spoilers, the second part--the part about the overall series plot arc--will have spoilers. You've been warned.

This Book: This book starts with Letty and for my two cents, that's
Paula
The Prey series by John Sandford is one of my favorite crime thrillers in fiction. Love Lucas Davenport. This is # 25 in the series and I've read all of them.

Gathering Prey is different from Sandford's usual story line where Davenport is solving a crime in Minnesota. This time the book centers on daughter Letty. I do like Letty, but I couldn't get past her meeting up with Skye, a Traveler, on the streets of California. Too contrived. We are introduced to a Charles Manson type of character named
Skip
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-detective
#25 in the Prey series. Davenport's adoptive daughter Letty befriends some drifters, who tell her about a vicious band of sadistic killers preying on the helpless. Lucas dismissed this as "legend," but then one of two disappears, and Letty helps the other get to Minneapolis. When the other goes off on her own, Letty follows, forcing Lucas to follow. With much of the book based in the UP (Upper Peninsula), author Sandford does a very good job of portraying the hearty locals, including the police ...more
Judy
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another episode with Lucas Davenport as he searches for a group of travelers who care very little for the lives of anyone who get in their way. What is interesting is that Lettie, Davenport's adopted daughter plays a significant part in introducing her Father to the group. She also does some sleuthing on her own. Language is crude as usual and events are gruesome as expected, but following Davenport as he pursues his prey is exciting.
Jim
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got to see a lot of Letty in this book, which I always enjoy. The crimes & the hunt were just tough. It's amazingly easy to be a nut on the loose in the US or even a group of them. The end was something else. I can't say more without spoilers, but it was really a wild ride getting there & ended with a couple of great scenes.

There were a few things that didn't ring quite true, but were easy enough to go along with since they were somewhat inevitable. (view spoiler)
Brenda
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful addition to the Lucas Davenport saga! In typical Sanford style, the bad guys got what was coming to them. Everyone on the team showed up in this book. I'm really looking forward to the next Davenport book, and I won't be surprised if Sanford's next book is a Virgil Flowers edition!! Grrrr...the wait!
Jean
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lucas Davenport has had a long and storied career as a Minneapolis cop and a Minnesota BCA detective. In Gathering Prey, John Sandford’s 25th of the “Prey” series, Davenport hops, skips, and jumps from Minnesota to Wisconsin to Michigan and back to the Twin Cities in pursuit of a band of crazed killers.

Letty, Davenport’s stepdaughter, befriends a young “traveler” called Skye. Travelers are peaceful hobo types who never stay in one place very long, and when her male companion goes missing, a
Monnie
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hard to believe this is the 25th book in the "Prey" series - most of which I've read - and while I won't call it the best of the bunch, it's well worth reading as usual. Also as usual, author Sandford manages to get in a guest appearance by one of his other cool characters, Virgil Flowers.

The story begins when Letty, the daughter adopted by Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension agent Lucas Davenport and his surgeon wife, Weather, is home from college. Letty gets a call from a panhandling
Cameron Wiggins
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite authors is undoubtably John Sanford and Gathering Prey is a classic example to support this favoritism. I have read 24 of the 25 “Prey” novels, and this is definitely my favorite series, too. John Sanford, a former Minneapolis newspaper reporter, is an excellent police procedural/thriller writer IMHO, and Sanford’s creation, policeman, and then Minnesota BCA Agent Lucas Davenport is definitely one for the ages.
Lucas’ adopted daughter is now away at Stanford University. Summer
Obsidian
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this is the 25th Lucas Davenport book I have read and it seems that we will see Davenport pursue something different. He once again is dealing with depression, but being asked to help find a young man that his daughter Letty met is enough to push that back for the time being. When it appears that Letty's friends may have come across a brutal group murdering Travelers, Lucas and others do what's necessary to take down the group.

"Gathering Prey" follows Lucas as he is dealing with depression
Mark
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Been on a John Sanford, Lucas Davenport roll this past month...In this one, Davenport is drawn into running down a Manson-like group that on a killing spree across the northern tier by his daughter Letty...the usual good stuff!
Truman32
Dec 28, 2014 rated it liked it

The jacket description to Gathering Prey, John Sandford’s 25th (Twenty-fifth!!!) Prey novel I must admit made me a little nervous. “They call them Travelers. They move from city to city, panhandling, committing no crimes—they just like to stay on the move. And now somebody is killing them.” Oh, great, I thought, Sandford wants to educate us on the homeless. Happily, while Sandford probably could teach us about the plight of the homeless, he chooses not to go down this route in his novel, instead
Kim Reads (Read Your Writes Book Reviews)
Reviewed for Read Your Writes Book Reviews
by Gemini

Gathering Prey was a very involved and in-depth look at some disturbing criminals that traveled the country like nomads leaving dead bodies along the way. The Travelers have a leader named Pilate that could easily be compared to Charles Manson or any other cult leader. They are as evil as evil gets and Pilate had to be the devil himself. As with all stories like this, someone has to play the hero. In this case, that person is Lucas Davenport. He
Sarah Darwin
May 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Something missing

Something was going on. Not a big something. Something, though.
Lucas called up Shrake who said: “What’s up?
“Got a bunch of conjunctions gone missing.” Said Lucas.
“And?”
“Yeah, that’s one of them.”
Shrake took a moment. “People go missing all the time. Mostly turn up. Imagine it’s the same with words.”
Lucas thought about that. “Maybe.” He said. “Keep an eye out, all the same.”
“Where you figure they’re gonna be?” Said Shrake.
“There’s a rumour they’re connected,” said Lucas. “Kind
Mike
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sandford is one of the authors that as soon as a new story hits print I have no self control and must devour instead of savoring. Davenport has changed over the years: aging, friends or associates retiring or killed in the line of work, children growing up.
Daughter Letty is at Stanford, and while on a shopping trip meets a couple who move around the country, camping out and attending festivals. She befriends the woman, leaves her number, and is contacted by her when the man she travels with
Darlene
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have read every book in this series. Bravo to another winner. After so many years I truly feel I personally know all the characters. I was originally drawn to this author so many years ago because he is from my home state of Minnesota, and the majority of his writing takes place here. Knowing exactly where he is makes the story a more personal connection for me.
After all these years what will Lucas do next?
Sandi
I am always impressed at how consistently good this series is and this book was no exception. Lucas is at his best tracking down bad guys and this had and entertaining plot with lots of action. Listened to the audio version which was read by the always superb Richard Ferrone.
Ed
Apr 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucas Davenport in hot pursuit through Northern Wisconsin, Michigan's Upper Peninsula and Minnesota after a gang of Charles Manson-like thrill killers from California. Another solid John Sanford "Prey" thriller but the endless chase became somewhat tedious.
Peter
May 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-thriller
Gathering Prey is the twenty-fifth in John Sandford's “Prey” series of down south crime thrillers starring either Lucas Davenport, Virgil Flower, or both. Lucas is Virgil’s boss at the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA). The series has been very popular, and for good reason: the books are well written, nicely platted and paced, and often very funny. Well, usually.

Skye and Henry are traveling street buskers who know a bad dude with a hot car and a blonde—his name is Pilate but he
Pamela
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Rip-Snortin' Amazing

I was right to be excited when "Gathering Prey" was released. Well worth the wait. And, while waiting, I listened to an audio interview with the author, John Sanford, courtesy of my husband's preference for audio books. Sanford confirmed my experience of him as a top-notch writer with some skills that not all writers possess. One is that his journalistic background gives him a great appreciation for hands-on experience. That said, it is like the reader becomes embedded in the
Viccy
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
Letty, Lucas Davenport's adopted daughter, meets Skye and Henry in California, where she is attending Stanford. Skye and Henry are travelers, similar to hobos, back in the day. When they hit Minnesota, Skye calls Letty to tell her that Henry may have been killed by Pilate, a crazed, Charlie-Manson style ringleader. Lucas goes on the hunt and what transpires is one edge-of-your-seat crazy manhunt across three states. And the ending will leave you hanging.... Great job, as always from John ...more
Connie
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times...Sandford is the absolute master of dialogue. This latest edition to the long running Davenport series is no disappointment in terms of dialogue. The banter between the characters leaves me chucking at times and feeling like I am right there as part of the group. I've never experienced any other writer than can nail it so completely. Maybe it's the sarcasm that pops up from time to time that I relate to so well....

First all, I've been an avid

• The Fool's Run (Kidd & LuEllen, #1)
  • The Empress File (Kidd & LuEllen, #2)
  • Memory Man (Amos Decker, #1)
  • Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • The Promise (Elvis Cole, #16; Joe Pike, #5; Scott James & Maggie, #2)
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • The Crossing (Harry Bosch, #18; Mickey Haller, #6; Harry Bosch Universe, #27)
  • The Black Box (Harry Bosch, #16; Harry Bosch Universe, #24)
  • The Escape (John Puller, #3)
  • Dark Sacred Night (Harry Bosch, #21; Renée Ballard, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #31)
  • Long Road to Mercy (Atlee Pine, #1)
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • Make Me (Jack Reacher, #20)
  • A Dangerous Man (Elvis Cole, #18; Joe Pike, #7)
  • Gathering Prey: (The Prey Series Book 25) by John Sandford | Summary & Analysis
  • Past Tense (Jack Reacher, #23)
  • Motive (Alex Delaware, #30)