Start by marking “Daylight Starlight Wildlife” as Want to Read:
Daylight Starlight Wildlife

Daylight Starlight Wildlife

In amazingly lifelike, luminous paintings, Wendell Minor, one of America’s finest wildlife and landscape painters, reveals the variety of animals that surround us when we are awake and when we are sleeping.

Minor’s vivid introduction to diurnal (daytime) and nocturnal (nighttime) creatures invites readers to experience the movements, sounds, colors, and textures of nature.
Published May 19th 2015 by Nancy Paulsen Books

To ask other readers questions about Daylight Starlight Wildlife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daylight Starlight Wildlife

Start your review of Daylight Starlight Wildlife
Renee
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Daylight Starlight Wildlife is a beautiful work of art which reminded me of bedtime classics for young children such as Time for Bed by Mem Fox and I Love You as Much… by Laura Krauss Melmed and illustrated by Henri Sorenson. I never tired of reading these books which featured soft lilting rhymes while gazing at the gorgeous illustrations magically capturing a wide variety of wildlife on full page spreads.To be clear though… Daylight Starlight Wildlife is NOT a rhyming book.

Not only is Daylight
J
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous illustrations.
Michelle
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Too long for very young children but the art is beautiful!!!
Hannah
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I still remember the first time I saw a fox running through my backyard in the dim light of evening as an orange flash appeared seemingly out of nowhere, and I remember the chill that ran down my spine as I first heard the haunting call of the barred owl in my neighborhood. There is wonder in nature all around us, even if we live in the suburbs. I still gasp when I see a deer dart across the road and chuckle as I watch a little chipmunk making his chaotic, puffy-cheeked run through the brush. ...more
Tasha
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Explore the world of animals in your own backyard that come out either in the day or at night. Shown in pairs, the various animals are awake at opposite ends of the day. Hawks fly the skies in the bright sunlight while owls glide the skies after dark. Rabbits and their babies are active in the fields and meadows in the day while opossum mothers and their babies come out and forage the same areas at night. Even the butterflies of day are replaced by the moths of night. The book moves from bright ...more
Caryn Caldwell
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
In this study of animal habits, pages depicting diurnal creatures are interspersed with those showing nocturnal ones. Accompanying text explains more about each animal, as does a "Fun Facts" section at the end. The text is nicely worded, and the information is helpful, but it's the breathtaking illustrations that really make this book stand out. Would work especially well as an accompaniment to a science class lesson on diurnal/nocturnal wildlife or an art class lesson on drawing animals.
Alistair Parker
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
it was a great book my favorite animal in the book is a barn owl
Laura Salas
Love the sounds of the words and the alliteration!
Jayda Safford
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
i learned new words.
diurmal
nocturnal
crepuscular
Compare and contrast format. Lush illustrations.
Rani
Joyful introduction to critters that appear in the daylight and starlight with series of fine examples.

#Nature #Wildlife #critters #Daylight #Nocturnal #STEM #Childrensbook
Stephanie
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
a very cool dual page contrast of the wildlife from daylight to starlight! perfect for introducing many animals to little ones in a simple way!
Linda
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous illustrations with a lot of detail
Margie
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Several weeks ago in the early evening on a Saturday, a male fox ran across my front lawn. After recovering from shock and grabbing my camera, I dashed out the door to see it merrily running, as if on a familiar path, down the road in our subdivision. The following Saturday afternoon a male fox raced across my backyard. Later, that same day sometime a little after midnight, I was outside with Xena. I heard something running down the street along the front property line. In the glow of my ...more
Alison
Minor's illustrations are constantly technically beautiful. Part of the 100 Books Every Child Needs collection at the Rochester Hills Public Library.
Heather
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: informative
Title: Daylight/ Starlight
Author: Wendell Minor
Genre: Nonfiction

Summary: This book explains the life patterns of various animals in the forests. Some of them are active during the day and some are most active at night. The pictures are done with watercolor and gouache.

Criteria for nonfiction: The author and illustrator of this book is one of America' finest wildlife and landscape painters. The author is clearly basing this book on facts because these animals can be seen outside during day or
Diane
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If your young children are interested in wildlife and you are interested in teaching them about the amazing creatures that roam outdoors by day and by night, this is the perfect book to share.

Lovely illustrated wildlife can be found throughout the pages of this book. Swallow tale butterflies, opossum and her plods, cotton tale bunny and kits, red-tale hawk, barn owl, white tail deer, fox, woodchucks, skunks, chipmunks, box turtles, bob cats, coyote, raccoon, wild turkey and cardinals.

The text
Claudia  Fett
Daylight Starlight is a beautifully illustrated book about animals in the day and night. The carefully chosen text uses adjectives and alliteration to give image to the pictures. The book has Fun Fact pages at the end to explain further about each animal depicted in the book.

Grades Pre-K - 5
The book could be used in the following ways:
- Day/Night Unit for grade K
- Model for creating a nonfiction picture book - grades 2-5
- Model for carefully chosen words to write a story - grades 2-5
- Model for
Jillian
Jun 22, 2015 rated it liked it
A very basic, bare-bones look at some common animals that are "mostly" daytime or nighttime critters. (They're all definitely found in the American Midwest, but are likely find-able through most of the continental US.) There are a couple notes at the back to give more information, but they tend to be of the single-sentence variety.
Things that made me frown: the coyote "calls to his pack," but coyotes usually hang out in pairs or alone. A pack doesn't come together often. Also, no love for bats.
Amanda
May 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Beautiful illustrations, but I found the whole concept of THESE animals are ONLY seen at night and these animals are ONLY seen at day to be confusing. I grew up on a farm and saw some of the NIGHT ONLY animals during the DAY....what's up with that? Hmmm, the animals must not have known that they were supposed to be asleep *sarcasm*. Ok, maybe they are really only considered to be MOSTLY one or the other or a bit of both (diurnal, nocturnal, crepuscular) and I was just fortunate enough to see ...more
Sandy Brehl
Wendell Minor's art is a masterful blend of textured realism, nuanced light, and heart. The premise here of exploring single settings through the lives of nocturnal and diurnal provides a perfect landscape for his talent. I felt the visual parallels and reflective perspectives provided an even more effective basis for comparing the day/night wildlife than did the text. A gorgeous book that kids will love and likely respond to its call to observe nature closely.
Linda
Wendell Minor's gorgeous art makes this book special, showcasing twenty-two animals who live their lives at different times of the day and nigh or dusk. The illustrations show action that accompanies the brief text. There is extra information about each animal at the back. Minor shares that at one time or another, each one has visited his backyard, and encourages watchful eyes to see what might be discovered in their own backyards.
Lynn
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it

Contrast between crepuscular, diurnal and nocturnal animals is shown by words as well as daytime and nighttime habitat scenes, some split pages, some double pages. Soft illustrations include footprint tracks on endpapers.
Each sentence describe an animal starting with a characteristic adjective, "Fearless mother skunk..." or "stealthy bobcat"
Backmatter gives more info on each animal.
My first grade teachers will love this for their fall units!
Serina
Dec 30, 2015 rated it liked it
more for the early readers and you never can go wrong with cute animals. i really liked the science, nature and wildlife presented. the illustrations were beautiful and more realistic in style. nice glossary at end that gave a little extra detail on the animals. rhyming seems to normally be a go to thing for kids books. instead this one presented a different reading type that i don't usually see. alteration is awesome, amazing and very astounding!
Samantha
An informative look at the way daytime/nighttime creatures behave in their environment. Fun facts follow text and define the differences between diurnal (daytime), nocturnal (nighttime) and crepuscular (twilight) creatures and labels each of the animals that appears in the book with one of the terms.

Good nonfiction read aloud set against luminous gouache and watercolor artwork. PreK-2+.
Earl
May 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Readers are introduced to the habits of some diurnal, nocturnal, and crepuscular animals in this beautiful picture book. The lush illustrations reminded me of Kadir Nelson. Includes two pages of fun facts at the end.
Bmack
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction-1-3
This would be a good read-aloud about the animals that like to be out during the daylight and those who are out at night. Background information is at the end of the book. Really nice illustrations.
Karin
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nicely illustrated book talking about the different animals that live outside during the day and the night. Great Fun Facts at the end of the book that gives quick info about all the different animals mentioned in the book.
Meredith
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Nonfiction for young readers is a tough thing to pull off. Often it is really boring or too simplistic, but this is perfect. The pictures are beautiful, and there's just enough information to interest very young readers.
Great Books
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ages-5-8
Daylight Starlight Wild Life creates a magical fact-filled adventure for young readers to enjoy and understand first facts about nature. The beautiful illustrations will entice and engage the readers of the story to recognize and remember the wildlife from daytime or nighttime.
Reviewer 3.

• Small in the City
  • Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star
  • Swimmy
  • Steam Train, Dream Train
  • Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?
  • Where Horses Run Free: A Dream for the American Mustang
  • All the Animals Where I Live
  • Raindrops Roll
  • Lion of the Sky: Haiku for All Seasons
  • Piggies
  • What Do You Do With a Tail Like This?
  • Man Gave Names to All the Animals
Wendell Minor was born and raised in the town of Aurora, Illinois. Drawing and painting have always been an integral part of his life, and after completing his studies at the Ringling School of Art and Design in Sarasota, Florida, Wendell began creating original designs for book publishers in New York City. His children's books have consistently exhibited his love for the land and environment.