Start by marking “The Life and Loves of a He Devil” as Want to Read:
The Life and Loves of a He Devil

The Life and Loves of a He Devil

Revealing, moving, and hilarious, Graham Norton tells the story of his life through the things he loves in a brand new memoir

Graham Norton has been entertaining audiences and having fun with some of the world's biggest stars for nearly 20 years. He is loved for his delight in the peculiar and for his ability to find humor and a common ground in all that life brings. Here i
Published April 1st 2015 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published April 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Life and Loves of a He Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Life and Loves of a He Devil

Start your review of The Life and Loves of a He Devil
Deborah
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I like Graham Norton but there's always a risk with anything autobiographical that it will all come tumbling down, so I was slightly worried about reading this - what if I ended up never able to watch Eurovision again?

Luckily Graham didn't let me down. His stories are funny and moving and above all interesting, even the ones that involve vomit-covered socks. Some of the stories are, in fact, very ordinary - lots of people can tell a tale about falling asleep on the night bus or falling in love w
Tessa Barding
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographies
An amazing read. I picked it up because I enjoy watching his talk show, because I think he’s funny but not in a silly way, because I’ve read a pretty insightful interview with him a while back... and because I got the hardcover at a good bargain price :-) I didn’t know what to expect from a book that goes by the title of “The Life and Loves of a He Devil” but let me tell you, it’s funny, sad, ridiculous, wise, disgusting, entertaining, and it will give you some food for thought, too.

I’ve liked h
Iola
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who has watched and enjoyed one of Graham Norton’s TV chat shows will know he’s funny, irreverent, and gay (both happy and homosexual) with a distinct voice. If any of that bothers you, this isn’t the book to read, because his ireverent voice shines through in this memoir. It’s as though he’s reading (and no, this wasn’t an audiobook). I enjoy Norton, so I enjoyed this book.

Norton wrote a “then I did this” autobiography when he was forty, and The Life and Loves of a He Devil memoir is qu
Charlotte Jones
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I love Graham Norton's late-night show on the BBC so I thought I'd check out his latest autobiography.

Graham Norton's narration made this book all the more enjoyable as his voice really added to the way it was written. Though some sections were a little slow at points, I was surprised that not only did Norton make me laugh, but I was actually crying on my way to work listening to one of his stories. I think that the presentation of his career progression was an honest and inspiring one.

This isn'
Shirley Revill
I listened to the audiobook and the narration was absolutely brilliant. In fact I thought the whole book was absolutely brilliant. Final thoughts absolutely brilliant. Okay, maybe it's just brilliant.
Nadja
There are some funny chapters in here but in the end not much really stayed long in my mind.
Sandy
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: physical-books
Can’t recall another non-fiction I’ve enjoyed so much. Yes this left me with few frowns from people around and funny pains and aches solely caused by uncontrollable laughter. The flawless writing is absolute gold. Totally worth the time spent. Might re-read this one day.
Casey Morrison
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read!!!
As always, Graham had me laughing up a storm! Soooo many great goofy, deep, controversial, relatable, unrelatedly, sad, happy, hilarious, ETC, stories in this book! I would bark/hoot/giggle/snort/guffaw/etc out of the blue, with one hilarious comment or sentence or story of his, that it got to the point where my family asked me to read this book in a separate room because I kept startling them with my sudden outbursts lol. Honestly, I loved everything about this book and it has tu
Shelby
This was an entertaining telling of some stories in Graham Norton's life. His recollections of things in his life he's loved was fun and heart felt as well.
Jeanie
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love Graham and his story telling about his life!
Mariaan
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love his show and absolutely loved the book. Laughed out loud so many times. Very honest and funny.
Pedro
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: british, lgbt, psy, humour
Favourite passages:

All silver linings are attached to a bit of cloud.

As we were carrying our gay fur baby back to where we had parked the car, I heard a flesh-trembling deep bark and suddenly, from behind a half-stable door, there jumped up a standard poodle so big you could have thought it was a farmhand having a bad reaction to the moon.

Bad boyfriend had become intolerable boyfriend and no amount of dog care was going to help. With his return to New York, I was left holding the baby but happil
Steff
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was a Graham Norton fan before I left the UK to come live in Canada, and happily still get to watch the Graham Norton show here. The couch filled with celebreties sometimes produces something simply amazing and memorable, like the Matt Damon / Bill Murray / Hugh Bonneville evening, and the Will.I.Am / Miriam Margoyles meeting for the first time. This book did not disappoint at all. It is divided into sections of his "loves", has cute little illustrations along the way, and contains great stori ...more
David Highton
Graham Norton writes this autobiographical book at age 50, ten years after a more standard chronological autobiography, so this is grouped thematically around his loves - dogs, divas, work etc. Norton is a very funny and pretty camp chat show presenter and Radio DJ and had an earlier career as a stand-up, so I was expecting this to be very humourous. In reality, parts of it are funny but all in all I found it an easy read but generally pretty uninspiring and disappointing (certainly compared wit ...more
Rocio
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was hilarious and also sentimental in all the right parts. I already loved Graham Norton, and this book only convinced me more of the fact. It’s really sweet and funny and effortlessly helpful, even without intending to be. Strongly recommended if you, like many others, believe Graham is currently the best late night host.
Christina Rothfusz
Jul 04, 2020 rated it liked it
This is not so much a autobiography as a reflections on life through the things he loves. It is moving, very honest and seriously funny. It is also very open and candid.

Graham writes with the some dry humor he shows on he's show. I started this a big fan an finished it a even bigger one.

Anyone that loves he's dogs this much is someone I can admire.
Rebekah
Nov 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Delightfully light and easy read which passed the time exactly as I expected.
Gabrielle
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This was staring down the barrel of a one star review when he wrote a genuinely adorable chapter on divas. His telling of Liza’s wedding was what I read memoir, as a genre, for. His chapter on men was more graphic than he implies.
Ken Walsh
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book, written as a collection of stories or topics. Easy to pick back up at a later date.
Denise Williamson
Graham Norton

Enjoyed this book better than I thought I would. I hope him and Bailey have a lot more adventures together.,,'
Pamoliverio
Nov 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read -funny, enlightening, endearing & sometimes a little TMI. I am a big fan of Graham Norton, & now I still am. ...more
Nicolene Murdoch
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love Graham Norton. The audio book is a must as his jokes and wit are best told by him.
Ghost of the Library
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I may be biased given how much I enjoy watching Graham Norton's show, but then again who cares?
This was refreshing, down to earth, warm, funny and at times a little sad, I have to say I enjoyed it very much and would definitely recommend it to any fan of Graham's or just of a good storyteller with a delicious razor sharp humor.
The same flawless at ease he shows on TV with all the big names is here as well, and makes this read a bit like your own chance to sit down with him and have a lovely cha
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Unsurprising that Norton's gift of gab translates well to the written page. This is his second (I think!) autobiography, so the normal details of upbringing and anecdotes are replaced with anecdotes from his life about things he loves. A great read!
Mandy
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
if you like graham, you'll like this. if you don't know who he is, don't read it!
Paul
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is Graham Norton's second book, the first was a straight up autobiography telling the tale of his life in a chronological order whereas this is his memoirs which basically means he picks a topic (Ireland being one of them) and then tells what effect this has had on his 50 plus years on this planet.

The thing I like about Graham Norton is that he entertains and makes me laugh, there was a few moments here and there which raised a slight chuckle but nothing that made you feel you were reading
Julie
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Graham Nortons show is one I usually sit down to watch over the weekend. He has a constant supply of interesting celebrities on his shows, although the American ones often look slightly puzzled as they fail to get the joke or understand the humour.

It was a cracking little read this book, and I think as a comedian he bought a great amount of balance to this memoir. It was funny without being silly and I like that he broke up the book into a series of stories on a subject, talking about his dogs,
Advance
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This fitted my mood going into the New Year. There were some giggle moments, some thoughtful moments, and some quite heartbreaking moments too. It was written very well covering themes rather than a general autobiography. He says at the beginning he hopes that readers will find at least one passion of his that we share and I certainly did. His love for New York, dogs and divas were particularly enjoyable for me. An easy read but I felt I did learn a lot about Graham and it was refreshing to read ...more
Joe
Dec 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
A much better and more enjoyable read then I ever expected. I enjoy Graham on TV and radio, I read his first autobiography and wondered what to expect from this follow up.
This time round we get the lowdown on various topics that play a big part Graham's life, and a very enjoyable and, to my mind fulfilling read it is too. Not the run of the mill autobiography but a great collection of tales and anecdotes that give an insight into one of the brightest Stars around.
Margaret
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fantastic memoir by Irish television host Graham Norton.

Done by subject, rather than being linear, "The Life and Loves of a He Devil" makes for interesting and extremely funny reading.

Graham takes a warts and all approach, so consequently this is no rosy view of his life. It's very much, this is me, take me or leave me.

Highly recommended.

• Dear Fatty
  • Bonkers: My Life in Laughs
  • The Life of Rylan
  • How to be Champion
  • Spectacles
  • Camp David
  • In Strictest Confidence
  • John Bishop: How Did All This Happen?
  • Between the Stops: The View of My Life from the Top of the Number 12 Bus
  • Peggy and Me
  • Life & Laughing: My Story
  • A Tiny Bit Marvellous
  • Quite
Graham William Walker is an Irish actor, comedian, television presenter and columnist, known by his stage name Graham Norton. He is the host of the comedy chat show The Graham Norton Show and the BBC commentator of the Eurovision Song Contest.