Start by marking “Skin in the Game” as Want to Read:
Skin in the Game

Skin in the Game

Three kinds of people live in Zombie City-La Boca Del Diablo: the zombies, los vivos, and the ghosts. Officer Jimena Villagrán, not truly at home with any of these groups, patrols the barrio for stalking monsters. Magic con men and discarded needles make this beat hazardous enough, but the latest rash of murders threatens to up the ante by outing the horrors of Jimena's ...more
Published December 2nd 2014 by Tor Books (first published November 3rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Skin in the Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skin in the Game

Start your review of Skin in the Game

v, is for Vourvoulias

2.5 Stars

This short story is a case of intriguing concept/disengaging writing. Don’t take my word for it, though, here are some of hers:

I am at B Street and Somerset, headed for Zombie City. Or La Boca del Diablo – the Devil’s Mouth – as the Latinos in the surrounding barrio call it.

Neither name shows up on the GPS, of course, because maps are pure fantasy. What is real doesn’t fit on the grid. The Zombie City/La Boca del Diablo is real.

These are the first two paragraphs
Rain Misoa
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Metaphor lovers and people looking to learn a bit more of Hispanic/Latinx culture.
Recommended to Rain by: Tor.com
A beautifully written short story of what it's like to be Latinx in a world filled with zombies, ghosts, and monsters.
Cora
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Vivid short story--an urban fantasy with vampires (or something like vampires), but also a nifty little story about identity and injustice and police brutality. Vourvoulias is apparently a Philly resident, and this story is set in a Philly that many of us never see (while many others see all the time). This is the kind of story that I've been discovering this year that has made me excited about the possibilities of fantasy for the first time in years.
Lauren
May 08, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5*
Marco
Jan 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: supernatural
An interesting urban fantasy with a Latin flavor. Three kinds of people live in Zombie City-La Boca Del Diablo: the zombies, los vivos, and the ghosts. Officer Jimena Villagrán, not truly at home with any of these groups, patrols the barrio for stalking monsters. Magic con men and discarded needles make this beat hazardous enough, but the latest rash of murders threatens to up the ante by outing the horrors of Jimena's personal history.
Kimikimi
Dec 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: tor-com
Another Tor.com short story

I love the way this story said it was one thing, became another, and then returned to the original premise in a better way.
E.A.
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really liked this. Read almost like Daniel Jose Older. Great exploration of the formation of identity and community bonds.
Liz
Dec 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Quite, original ! Very good
Amy
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, short-story
How can a creepy monster story be so beautiful and vibrant? It just is.
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really liked this one - didn't expect the twist at the end, but thought it worked really well.
Kate
Jan 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
A really interesting concept and good writing, but not as fleshed-out as it could have been. It felt almost like I was reading excerpts from a novel-length piece.
p

• The Raven Tower
  • Swordheart
  • To Summon Nightmares
  • The Drowning Girl
  • The Shadowglass (The Bone Witch, #3)
My novel, Ink, was published by Crossed Genres in October of 2012. (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15...)

I was born in Bangkok, Thailand -- the daughter of a Mexican-Guatemalan artist and an American businessman. I grew up in Guatemala, and moved to the United States when I was 15. I studied filmmaking and creative writing at Sarah Lawrence College in Bronxville, N.Y., which -- it has to be