Start by marking “Shy” as Want to Read:
Shy

Shy

Shy loves birds. He'd love to watch them fly and hear them sing, but he's only ever read about them in books. . .until a real bird comes along. He's dying to meet her, but there's just one problem: Shy is, well, shy--so shy, in fact, that he's afraid to leave the gutter of the book. Can Shy overcome his fears and venture out onto the page?

This sweetly relatable picture bo
Published September 27th 2016 by Viking

To ask other readers questions about Shy, please sign up.
Deborah Amazon's age ranges tend to be a bit limited... my publisher says 4 and up — which pleases me because I like to think that this book works on differen…moreAmazon's age ranges tend to be a bit limited... my publisher says 4 and up — which pleases me because I like to think that this book works on different levels, appropriate for the youngest readers, but also a fun mystery for older readers. And I think the idea of shyness is one that most people can relate to. Thanks for asking!(less)

Start your review of Shy
Colby Sharp
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-nerdy, 2016
Deborah Freedman is amazing. Shy will blow readers away.
Cheryl
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
I get it, but I just don't care for it. Message has been done and isn't worth redoing, art is too delicate, simple, and difficult to see. I'd be willing to bet that, in general, more adults than children will love it. When I was a shy child (which I do remember), I would not have liked this.
Ricki
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I have read this book dozens and dozens of times with my son. He absolutely loves the story. When my husband walked him upstairs to bed the night after we got the book, he didn't even make it to the top of the stairs before he requested his reading choices for the night, "Race car books and Shy, please." The book features a character who is Shy and who is unable to say hello to a yellow bird. I won't give anything away, but this is a book that will teach many lessons to readers (and not just the ...more
Abigail
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Shy Children in Need of Encouragement
Shelves: picture-books
Shy loved stories, and he loved birds. He especially loved stories about birds. Having never heard a bird's trill in real life, but only read about them in the pages of his beloved books, Shy is delighted when one flies by, and sets out to follow him. Will he succeed in making contact with this enchanting avian stranger, or will he prove too shy...?

A sweet picture-book tribute to shy bookworms everywhere, Shy pairs an engaging tale, one which will keep young reader/listeners guessing as to its e
La Coccinelle
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
While this book has pretty pictures, it's very light on story.

Shy is... shy. He mostly just reads books. One day, he sees and hears a bird. Then he follows the bird, and eventually makes friends with it. The end. (No, really. That's about all there is to it.)

The illustrations are soft and colourful and quite nice to look at, but I was kind of distracted by not knowing who Shy was for most of the book. A person? An animal? We don't find out until closer to the end. And then we're left with questi
Julie
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
SHY is just as good as everyone says it is. This story is sweet and funny and gorgeous. There's going to be a lot to talk about with this one, but mostly readers will love its huge heart.
Anna
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful pictures and a gentle, lovely story that I could completely relate to.
Baby Bookworm
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is the lovely Shy by Deborah Freedman, a gorgeous fable about overcoming fears and shyness.

Shy is a very timid sort. He’s most comfortable hidden between the pages of a book (this one, to be precise). Still, he dreams of having the courage to explore “a land far away,” where so many of his books are set. One day, he sees a beautiful bird, one of his favorite readi
Margie
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the things I remember most about my classroom years, kindergarten through high school graduation, is knowing the answers over and over again but being too afraid to raise my hand. I was painfully quiet except when with close friends. My solace was in books; books allowed me the freedom to be everything I felt inside on the outside as long as I was reading.

Upon finding out a speech class was required for all incoming freshmen in college, I felt true fear. What saved me were grim determinat
The Library Lady
Can we talk?
I HATE the word shy. I especially hate it when people come into the library with their kid and say, "This is Melania. Melania is shy," right in front of them.
Shy kids are LISTENERS. Shy kids are OBSERVANT. Shy kids are entitled to be exactly who they are!
I had one child who sat outside my story room with his grandma for most of a year. He wouldn't come in the room. One day his grandma said to me, "You know, Miss L, he goes home and sings all the songs you sing with his daddy and tell
Jana
This picture book is very cute and makes such clever use of the gutter (the place where the book pages are bound together). Shy spends all of his time hiding and reading books. One day a bird comes along and Shy is delighted by her singing, but he's too shy to say anything. Young readers, especially shy ones will appreciate Shy's journey to find this bird. The illustrations, made with pencil, watercolor, bits of colored pencil, and assembled in Photoshop, are just beautiful!
Jillian Heise
Sweet, charming story with beautiful, soft illustrations. I know exactly who I would want to hand this book to.
KC
Oct 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Lovely colors and soothing pictures detail this book about two unlikely animals who become friends.
Jesse
What a sweet story! The illustrations are luscious, as always, with the added bonus of Shy residing literally between the pages of the book until he is brave enough to step out.
Jena
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Wow. Not only is the storyline deceptively simple & sweet, but the illustrations are stunning (also deceptively simple). I can see why it's getting a lot of well deserved buzz. ...more
Jason
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
I couldn't get into this at all. Too abstract, maybe, for the subject matter? I didn't like that we don't see the main character until the end. Nice watercolors, though.
Suzie
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed reading this to my "shy" guys. Beautiful illustrations. They enjoyed the mystery.
Danielle Mootz
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautiful and sweet book. My kids were so excited to discover....SPOILER ALERT.....Shy was a giraffe.
Elizabeth
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Who is Shy? That is the fun mystery for the first portion of this book. Shy has learned about birds in books. And then he meets one. Shy is too shy to interact with the bird. But when he gets a second chance he does not let it pass him by!
Claudine Carmel
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A subtle and sweet story with gorgeous illustrations that have a dreamy, soft feel about them.
Lee
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved the illustrations and the gentle story. Shy comes across as a quiet thoughtful book lover who engages and dreams through reading until one day a bird flies by and lures Shy out to discover the world beyond books. I like the way the author keeps Shy hidden from the reader in the beginning. This book has a very delicate, soft touch that shows the slow to warm or reluctant to engage child the benefits of taking a chance.
Judy
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Deborah Freedman's art is spectacular. The story is wonderful.
Trisha Parsons
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I used to be painfully shy, and it was very lonely, and this short picture book captures that experience so well! The character is invisible for much of the book, until they get brave and approach a friend. The language is poetic and beautiful, and the story is real, but hopeful.
Gina
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gently rendered in soft muted colors - this is a quiet, lovely story about shyness and courage.
AnnieM
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations are just so perfect. The story is just what any shy kid needs.
Lynn  Davidson
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This could be called a quiet book. It is quiet in words, in pictures, in the colours chosen - so quiet, in fact, one page is harder to read - giving the idea that the shy characters are whispering or speaking very softly and shyly.

This is a sweet story for the shy child - and adult who was a shy child, now reading to a child.

Shy is a character who is .. shy .. and reads a lot. So very shy is Shy that he doesn't want to venture out until a real bird comes singing. He doesn't want to lose her so
Rachel
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Absolutely beautiful illustrations, chock full of color and texture, are what make this story exceptional. Shy wants to talk to a certain bird, but he's afraid. I had to flip through this twice just to see all the art again. Story is okay.
Carrie Gelson
Gentle and lovely in so many ways
Erica
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story. Maybe because it's about someone who's a bit reserved and afraid to enter the world, who prefers the worlds brought to life between the pages of a book. It did make a slight detour as it seemed to be moving into the romance arena. Beautiful, serene illustrations. Adding this to my favorites shelf.
Jenna Grodzicki
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Shy was happiest between the pages of a book." From the opening line, I was immediately drawn into this story. I wanted to know who Shy was, but I also wanted him to find a friend. It was great to watch his courage grow from beginning to end. The muted illustrations are beautiful. Young readers who experience shyness or are just looking for a friend will relate to this book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Most Marshmallows
  • City Dog, Country Frog
  • Dancing Hands: How Teresa Carreño Played the Piano for President Lincoln
  • A Splash of Red: The Life and Art of Horace Pippin
Once upon a time, I was an architect. But now I'd much rather build worlds in books — picture books like Blue Chicken and The Story of Fish & Snail . My most recent books are Shy and This House, Once , and CARL and The Meaning of Life . Look for my next book, Is Was, in 2021.

I love reading books; I hate rating them! Let's just say that if I didn't like a book, it isn't here at all

News & Interviews