Start by marking “The Art of the Pimp” as Want to Read:
The Art of the Pimp

The Art of the Pimp

Dennis Hof, proprietor of the world-famous Moonlite BunnyRanch brothel and the P.T. Barnum of prostitution, charts his path to fame and infamy, while dispensing homespun wisdom about sex, sales, money, and how to live as the country's most recognizable pimp.

In The Art of the Pimp, Dennis Hof offers a hilarious, insightful, behind-the-scenes look at life as the proprietor
Published March 17th 2015 by Regan Arts.

To ask other readers questions about The Art of the Pimp, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of the Pimp

Start your review of The Art of the Pimp
Mauoijenn
Big Pimpin
You know I - thug em, fuck em, love em, leave em
Cause I don't fuckin need em
Take em out the hood, keep em lookin good
But I don't fuckin feed em

Oh my! I don't know what I was getting into by reading this. To be honest it started out interesting, how a certain dead celebrity gave him his first boner at the age of 8 was the peak of this book and then like a really fast roller coaster it went down hill from there.

The Art of the Pimp is well interesting, egotistical, boring, boasting,
dejah_thoris
May 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Originally a time-share salesman, Dennis Hof took his team-building and marketing expertise and applied it to his hobby to create the Moonlite Bunny Ranch where women competed directly for every john's business. Granted, negotiating was a revolutionary concept for the brothel industry, notorious for locking down women until their contracts are fulfilled, but most of Hof's lifestyle is fairly predictable. Sure, he calls Ron Jeremy his "bitch", but all the gorgeous girls and boyish antics appear ...more
Diana
Mar 12, 2016 rated it liked it
This is such a bizarre book. I'm a now not-so-secret viewer of HBO's Cathouse and so I loved the insidery nature of this book. It's also really fascinating because there are little essays from women who eloquently break down why they hate Hof after dating him and a notable therapist dissects him after they meet. I'm pretty impressed he let his memoir be broken up by detractors, but at the same time he's pretty blind to his own negative attributes. Mostly I think it's genius structure brought to ...more
Geekgrrl
Jun 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
Here is what this book is about:

Dennis is very good at everything except Monogamy. He has lotsa sex. The end.

Seriously, I just saved you precious money and time. You're welcome.

And for those of you who still want to give it a go let me just point out that this book was written by a 300+ pound, 60-some-year old who firmly believes he gave a 23 year old woman 11 orgasms before lunch and 9 after. Yup cuz that happens.
SUSAN   *Nevertheless,she persisted*
Review to come.Have the flu and I can't think straight.

Jade Capri
Mar 08, 2015 marked it as to-read
I haven't read it yet, but I got an email from amazon that is should be here on the 23rd. It will be a interesting read and I am looking forward to see what is in it. I just love how people love to refer us as "Hookers" How about business women that earn a pay worth of a CEO of a big company.
Mike Wayne
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shelf
Entertaining from start to Finish! A fast & fun read.
Donna
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As I continue my studies in Deviant Behavior and Criminology, a must read book was this entry by the legendary owner of the BunnyRanch and recently deceased, Dennis Hof. This book is a very well written, fascinating expose into the lives of Hof, the girls, his girls, the patrons, and assorted characters of this world apart. Kindle version, the hardcover is very expensive and apparently a collectors item.
Nancy
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Certainly not my usual type of book to read. But a friend gave it to me as a joke, but I decided to read it. It was a look into a world I do not know a lot about. It was interesting. Of course it is written by Dennis, so it is very pro-prostitution, but there are many accounts included by people who tell of the downside. It was a quick read.
Jesse
May 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Meh. While the rise of Hof is fascinating, his relationship struggles becomes a repeating pattern chapter after chapter. The sidebar from a scorned ex-rancher and the psychological evaluation at the end were, by far, the most eye-opening bits overall.
Vincent
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the perspectives of those that Dennis mentions throughout the book.
Heather
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Alot of repeating but I enjoyed this, although perhaps from a mental health perspective.
Vanessa
Sep 08, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm always up for reading a slightly taboo, off color, or controversial book, so my attention was piqued when I received "The Art of the Pimp: One Man's Search for Love,Sex and Money." I started the book curious to see what exactly makes Dennis Hof the "P.T. Barnum" of prostitution. I discovered that Hof is indisputably an excellent salesman, but he didn't manage to sell himself to me. I was mildly amused at first, but after a while Hof's quest for "love" got a bit tedious and redundant.

I most
Shannon
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book as a Goodreads Giveaway in return for my honest review.

My husband thought I was crazy reading a prostitution book but it turned out not to be all about sex. It turned out to be about Dennis Hof the businessperson. From the book, I discovered Mr. Hof is an excellent salesperson, starting in the business of timeshares moving onto brothels. He took his team-building and marketing expertise and applied it to create the Moonlite Bunny Ranch. The reason his ranch was different
Juliet
May 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-books
So...this book was funny, not humorous but funny in that anyone who is literate could grasp the fact that Dennis Hof is a total narcissist. I actually put this book down a few chapters in because his own ego stroking was too much. I ended up finishing it because I don't like to leave things unfinished and I figured there might be something interesting in it beyond the ego stroking. Ultimately, this book is quite dull and is composed of multiple points of views; of Madame Suzette who runs the ...more
Eliza
Dec 16, 2015 rated it liked it
(3.5) - I've read better memoirs but I must admit: Dennis Hof is probably one of the most interesting characters I've read about in a while. He's a consummate salesman (as most successful pimps are) and even if you don't have even a vague familiarity with his Cathouse show, you will definitely leave this book having a strong opinion of him.

My favorite parts of the book were first-hand essays from people who know him personally - and they were not all kind. They have fair assessments of the man,
Robert M. Brilliant
Aside from the sex stuff

I found dentist's life story as fascinating to me as Ted Turkey's life story. Both men found their business inch in life and made a fortune. Yet dennis Hoffman literally had no serious education. Almost hard to believe.
Just like the shrink said in the book dennis sex drive is fundamentally too much testosterone

.I was truly fascinated by the comparison between the schemes to sell time shares and the same schwm to sell sex. Tremendous analogy. And the fact that dennis
Natalie
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was an interesting memoir about the owner of a famous legal brothel in Nevada. I actually enjoyed the way he intertwined numerous personal accounts written by secondary characters in his life. I'm inclined to believe the majority is true given he even included a scathing account by one of his ex-girlfriend's (also a prostitute and employee). The last chapter was the most intriguing: a psychological analysis of Dennis, written by a psychiatrist he seemingly saw for this purpose. It was almost ...more
Gina Marcelin
Jun 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2015
Pimping Ain't Easy, But It Sure Is Fun
Stars off weird with the Marilyn Monroe fantasy. At the end it gets to be ridiculous? What man wants to see another man's sex game? It's weird, but whatever makes you happy. Cammi's story cleared the vision on who Dennis is. The book is interesting, but you will get sick of it. Until then, enjoy.
Teresa Lavender
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Won this here on goodreads. Not really my kind of book, but thought I would give it a try. Interesting peek into the sex industry.
Mujahid Aziz
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great book brush up on my skills...Big pimpin on a bunny ranch leave you with quote for the book "Its not just that I get all the pussy I want. I also make money on all the pussy you want"...
Tj Moore
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun book to read!
Dennis tells his story truthfully with both good & bad input from others.
Definitely recommend this one
Mike Baker
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Boring. When you are a pimp, having a relationship with a woman might be difficult. I get it. I did enjoy his how to succeed in business ideas and recommendations.
Ricardo
rated it it was ok
Jul 21, 2016
Vince Sarubbi
May 15, 2015
Golder
Aug 16, 2018
ShaylaZero
rated it did not like it
Apr 17, 2016

• My Booky Wook
  • Candy Girl: A Year in the Life of an Unlikely Stripper
  • My Fight / Your Fight
  • Pryor Convictions: and Other Life Sentences
  • Double or Nothing: How Two Friends Risked It All to Buy One of Las Vegas' Legendary Casinos
  • The Best Team Money Can Buy
  • Spoon River Anthology
  • Dirty Rocker Boys
  • Stories I Only Tell My Friends
  • Monster Hunter International (Monster Hunter International, #1)
  • The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band
  • The Miracle Morning: The Not-So-Obvious Secret Guaranteed to Transform Your Life: Before 8AM
  • Unwritten
  • Mistress Christmas (Wild West Boys, #1)
  • How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk
  • The Court of Broken Knives (Empires of Dust #1)
“I love being in love, and I love making love to a woman I love. I’ll make love to women I don’t love, too, because that’s the way I’m wired, but given a choice I prefer to have a regular girl on my arm, a little honey to come home to every night” 0 likes
“Until you really know a vagina, it can be pretty intimidating. Get to know it, though, it’s a gift” 0 likes