Start by marking “Brokedown Cowboy (Copper Ridge, #2)” as Want to Read:
Brokedown Cowboy (Copper Ridge, #2)

Brokedown Cowboy

(Copper Ridge #2)

There are lines best friends shouldn't cross, but in Copper Ridge, Oregon, the temptation might be too much…

If practice makes perfect, Connor Garrett should be world champion of being alone. Since losing his wife he's concentrated exclusively on his family's ranch. Until his dear friend Felicity Foster needs a place to stay and Connor invites her to move in temporarily.
Mass Market Paperback, 347 pages
Published May 26th 2015 by Hqn

Start your review of Brokedown Cowboy (Copper Ridge, #2)
Al George
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So these two, they kinda meet everything head on. Pun intended.

head butt

Series: uh huh

Sexy times: Indeed and well-done ones if you asked me

Plan on reading more by the author: Yes!

Synopsis: Connor's a bit of an alcoholic and his bff, Liss, has been helping him survive the last three years since his wife's death. These two have been all bff-y for nearly half their life if not more. Secrets are not something the excel at. Other than the fact that Liss has been harboring sexy times fantasies about
Jacob Proffitt
Feb 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: steamy, audiobook, romance
Holy crap was this a drag to read. I made it through the whole thing, but I'm not sure why I bothered. I think I just have a harder time stopping an audible read because the inertia feels higher, somehow.

The problem here is all Connor. That guy loves his misery so much that he spreads it around all his friends and family just to make sure he's as deeply in it as he possibly can be. There wasn't even one new level of intimacy where he didn't kick Liss in the metaphorical face. The first time it
♥ℳelody
ETA: Congratulations to Maisey Yates for her 2016 RITA Award for Brokedown Cowboy!!! If you all haven't read this series, READ IT!

First let me just praise the cover. The guy model? WHO are you sir and are you single? I mean....
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

photo tumblr_inline_mu3sd8EKs91qzex79_zpsntxsy0ob.gif
Ooof. *fans face* I kept catching myself staring at the cover and wanting to rub my face on it like a lunatic.......

Aaaaanyways, this is my first book by this author and it won't be my last if the writing is anything to go by. Her wordplay is seriously one of a kind
Mandi Schreiner
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
I loved the first book in this series (Part Time Cowboy), which features Connor and I couldn’t wait to get his story. My expectations were definitely met. Connor, along with his brother Eli (hero in book one) and younger sister Kate (heroine in the next book) own a big ranch, although Connor is the one who lives on the ranch and does most of the work. Three years ago, his wife of eight years died suddenly in a car accident. Connor’s grief is almost unbearable. He still performs his ranch duties, ...more
Roksana
May 27, 2015 added it
Shelves: avoid, hell-no
This is not for me...the hero griefs after the death of his wife and heroine was having a big crash on him for years whilst being his friend! "SECOND BEST"? All the "unwanted ingredients" for a disastrous read I do not wish to take part in it!
Geri Reads
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars!

One thing I really loved about Maisey Yates is her ability to write tortured and flawed characters and making her readers love and root for these characters.

Connor Garrett has a heartbreaking past. He lost the love of his life tragically and he never quite recovered from it. Liss is his best friend. The one person who has always been there for him through thick and thin and has loved him silently for years. But Liss isn't a long suffering doormat. She has a personality to be reckon with
Michelle [Helen Geek]
May 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Someone who doesn't mind the checkers are scattered all over the damned place!
05/09/2015 --

This book threw about 50 characters into the first 30 pages and I lost focus and interest trying to figure out who was who and what was what. I'm a lazy reader and I just don't want to work that hard to figure stuff out. It was like when the box of the checker game falls apart and you have the checkers scattered everywhere and the game board. Trying to get them all picked up on put on the board is exhausting and by the time you get it sorted you've lost interest. This is me with
Renae
World of nope to this.

Brokedown Cowboy is an astonishingly bad book about how a grieving man uses and abuses his long-suffering, pining best friend as a surrogate wife and therapist while he drinks his way through life. Seriously, he treats her so badly throughout, and then at the end he apologizes and proposes, and it's like happily ever after? No. Realizing you have a problem with how you cope with grief is the first step, but there are a bajillion more before you're ready to re-commit to
Ami
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-books, romance
Connor is the older brother from the Garrett siblings. Three years ago, he lost his wife of eight years, and since then, Connor has been living like a hermit. His constant company is Jack Daniel’s, he is grumpy and seems to always be in a dark mood. But there is one person – outside of his brother and sister – who seems to be able to stand up to him when Connor is in the mood, and that is his best friend, Felicity “Liss” Foster.

I was eager to read Connor’s story because I LOVE friends-to-lovers
Minna
First of all: this cover is HORRIBLE. Connor looks like a skinny asparagus person:
Veggie Tales Junior Asparagus
...and Liss (hate that name, by the way, probably it's petty but that's the way it is) looks like she's plotting to raid his safe and run.

Secondly, I just could not get behind Liss. GROW UP WOMAN! What a sad sack. I get that she knuckled under to her mom; most kids would. I can understand having an unrequited crush. But first catering to moron Marshall (for years) and then lurking around (for more years) being
nick
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc

Brokedown Cowboy wasn't a book that was under my radar until Candace invited me to be part of the blog tour. I'm so glad she did, because I've found an author whose works I feel like I'm going to devour. Brokedown Cowboy was an unconventional romance, but it was raw, honest and emotionally draining.

While the cover of this book might lead you to assume that this a cute and fluffy read, it really wasn't. Brokedown Cowboy could be a dark book at times, thanks to one of its protagonists, Connor.
Danielle
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Melissa
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Just one more chapter . . . ok seriously, just one more. That’s what I was saying to myself over and over, knowing I had other things I should be doing, but I couldn’t stop. I ended up reading the entire book - in one sitting.

Liss and Connor's story was everything I wanted it to be. A best-friends to lovers storyline with emotional depth, great chemistry and the perfect mix of humor. Maisey Yates has a knack for one-liners and sarcastic jabs at just the right time.

I fell for Connor immediately.
Heidi
May 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Three and a half stars: A best friends to lover romance that encompasses overcoming grief and new beginnings.

Liss barges into Connor's kitchen bearing groceries, only to find him slumped over the kitchen table, hung over, again. For three years, Liss has watched her best friend wallow in his private hell of grief and misery since his wife died. No matter how hard she tries to reach him, he pushes her away. Things suddenly change, when Liss finds her rental home swept out from under her. Connor
Nicole D.
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Liss and Conner have been best friends sense they were 15 years old. Conner lost his wife of 8 years and is still picking up the pieces of his life 3 years later. Liss has always been there for Conner and buried any feeling that weren't friend-like because she valued her friendship with him above anything. So when Liss has to move out of her house because her landlady is selling and has no where to go, Conner says she can stay with him until she can find a new place. But Liss and Conner don't ...more
Stacee
This was a lot darker than the first one in the series. After the glimpse of Liss we got in book one, I was expecting some delicious banter and sarcasm. Sadly there wasn't a lot of either.

Connor's past is a little rough and his despair is quite heavy and dark. As Connor's BFF, Liss takes care of him and at times, babies him. I was expecting feistiness and stubbornness out of her, but she came across as a pushover. Their "relationship" was out of convenience.

The story had a lot of drinking, a lot
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
Connor Garrett has endured a very hard life and can see no way out of the box he has found himself in. The one light of his day is his best friend, Liss. Through all the years ups and down. Liss has loved this man. Right now she is having a hard time of things and needs someone to be there for her. This was the opening they both needed to see things in just a little bit of a different light.

If ever a man needs to be slapped, Connor Garrett needed it desperately. But Liss got this all taken care
Karen
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved it!

This couple had a LOT of issues to work through but it was done so beautifully. It was painful at times - but needed to be. It was also funny and sexy with great supporting characters.
Fiona Marsden
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Listened to this on audiobook. The narrator is really good and captured the different voices well, including the male voices.

The story is of course very emotional. Connor has been wallowing in grief for three years after the death of his wife of eight years, Jessie. They were high school sweethearts and married when she finished college. He works on the farm by day and drinks himself into oblivion every night.

Liss has loved Connor forever but Jessie was her BFF and he stayed in the friend zone.
Elise*HereForTheRomance*
7/22/16 Brokedown Cowboy won the RITA for Best Long Contemporary! So I have decided to provide the full review on my Tumblr blog, too! Check out my full review on
I'm Here for the Romance!

7/19/17 Here is my full review on Smart Bitches Trashy Books!

6/28/16 I am reviewing this for the Smart Bitches Trashy Books RITA Reader Challenge so I will update this with a link when that review goes live!

am a big fan of regency romance, so I thought I would step out of my comfort zone a little for the RITA
Jenica
Lacey
this book broke my heart & soul
Nancy Stopper
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
I'm not quite sure what I was expecting when I decided to read Brokedown Cowboy - Maisey Yates is a "new to me" author - but there is no way I expected what I got in this book. All I can say is "WOW"! This book blew me away. I was laughing and crying right along with Felicity and Connor as they navigated the transition from friends to lovers, a journey that was fraught with emotion and pain and tears and ultimately love.

In Brokedown Cowboy, Maisey Yates gives us an incredibly complex character
Sheyla ✎
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it

Cooper Garrett is a widower. He lost his wife a few years ago and now he drinks his sorrows away with his best friend Jack Daniels. He has no interest in happiness. He prefers solitude although, he does let his family come around to check on him and his best friend Liss brings him groceries so he doesn’t starve.

Felicity “Liss” Foster is still trying to pay the bills after her ex created a large credit card debt. When she's asked to move out of the apartment she was living in, Cooper offers a
Christi Snow
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
My Review:
It's been three years since Connor's wife, and Liss's best friend, died suddenly in a car accident. Since then, Liss has been Connor's anchor. She's his best friend and his support system. She fills his refrigerator and keeps him functioning at least on a minimum level between bouts of drunkenness. Connor is very much only living a half life.

Lisa's last boyfriend left her with a load of debt and bad credit. It's inconvenient, but she's surviving until her landlord decides to sell her
Books and Spoons
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful, emotional roll-a-coaster ride this book is. It is a journey through grief, it is a story of survival, and a story of friendship, that survives the most, but it is also an amazing story about love, hope, and new beginnings.
Connor has lost so much in his life. But through all the loss, there's been one rock in his life, his best friend, Liss. The one person he can count on, who is always there for him, and in the past years, has taken care of him when he wasn't able and willing
Jonel
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This was an emotionally turbulent yet extremely rewarding novel. Yates kept me captive from the first page to the last (and now I’m counting down the days for the next in the series). I laughed and cried in turn while becoming part of the world that was unfolding before my eyes. Yet, the story was also about so much more than simply the relationship between the main characters. Every aspect of the story made it more believable and loveable.

Yates has multifaceted character development and
Rhode
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Meh. This was not fun or romantic. Basically the heroine is yearning for the hero for more than a dozen years, and is his best, most supportive friend as he dives into a bottle after his wife dies. And then it takes him nearly 350 pages to figure out he loves her. While she waits painfully, tearfully, heart breaking by his side. Being a good sport.

It's spelled out very vividly how few romantic options they each have in their tiny isolated town, so you have to wonder if these two were in a bigger
Pamela / SpazP
Jun 07, 2015 rated it liked it
If you love friends-to-lovers stories, you'll enjoy this one. I enjoyed the first book in this series, but I think this just isn't my bag. I would have walked out on Connor a lonnnng time ago. It's not the widower aspect, those are typically satisfying for me in a heavily emotional and intense way, and this was no exception. I think it was the friends-to-lovers aspect that I just didn't enjoy as much. I didn't believe it. And while it made the most sense from an HEA perspective, I've come to the ...more
Heidi Rice
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow, Maisey Yates will totally break your heart and then put it back together again with the rugged and yet deeply emotional story of cowboy widower Connor Garrett and his 'best friend' Liss Foster. Ostensibly a friends-to-lovers romance this is so much more than that thanks to the evocative small-town Oregon setting, and the personality that Yates' puts into the traumatised Connor and the girl who has loved him for years but convinced herself she can never have him... We all know, she's just ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Snowbound at Christmas (Montana Men, #5.5)
  • The Cowboy's Christmas Baby (Cowboys & Brides, #2)
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
  • Her Renegade Rancher (Montana Men, #5)
  • His Cowboy Heart (Montana Men, #6)
  • Coming Home for Christmas (Haven Point, #10)
  • When It's Right (Montana Men, #2)
  • Reckless in Texas (Texas Rodeo #1)
  • Big Sky Mountain (Parable, Montana, #2)
  • Falling for Owen (The McBrides, #2)
  • Cowboy Rebel
  • Cowboy SEAL Christmas (Navy SEAL Cowboys, #3)
  • Her Lucky Cowboy (Montana Men, #3)
  • Handsome Rancher (Handsome Devils, #1)
  • Meant to Be Yours (Happily Inc, #5)
  • Christmas in Mustang Creek (The Brides of Bliss County, #4)
  • Wrapped Up in You (Heartbreaker Bay, #8)
  • Handsome Boss (Handsome Devils #2)
New York Times and USA Today Bestselling author Maisey Yates lives in rural Oregon with her three children and her husband, whose chiseled jaw and arresting features continue to make her swoon. She feels the epic trek she takes several times a day from her office to her coffee maker is a true example of her pioneer spirit. In 2009, at the age of twenty-three Maisey sold her first book.

Since then

Copper Ridge (10 books)
  • Part Time Cowboy (Copper Ridge, #1)
  • Bad News Cowboy (Copper Ridge, #3)
  • One Night Charmer (Copper Ridge, #4)
  • Tough Luck Hero (Copper Ridge, #5)
  • Last Chance Rebel (Copper Ridge, #6)
  • Slow Burn Cowboy (Copper Ridge, #7)
  • Down Home Cowboy (Copper Ridge, #8)
  • Wild Ride Cowboy (Copper Ridge, #9)
  • Christmastime Cowboy (Copper Ridge, #10)