Start by marking “Consumption” as Want to Read:
Consumption

Consumption

For fans of Stephen King, Joe Hill, and Sarah Langan comes a thrilling new vision of American horror. In Heather Herrman’s heart-pounding debut novel, evil is ready to feed—and it’s got one hell of an appetite.

In the wake of tragedy, John and Erma Scott are heading west in search of a new life. So when car trouble strands them in sleepy Cavus, Montana, they decide to st
Published May 26th 2015 by Hydra

To ask other readers questions about Consumption, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Consumption

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
May 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended to Shelby *trains flying monkeys* by: Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
John and Erma are on their way to start a new life. They've had recent marriage problems and hope to start anew. Then they start through a small town by the name of Cavus, Montana. They have car trouble and are picked up by the local sheriff who tells them that their luck is shot because everyone is getting ready for the "Squirrel festival" and no one will have time to fix their car. He takes them to his aunt's house until their car can be fixed.
*town that won't let you leave-you know this shit
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
Welcome to Cavus, Montana. A charming little town with friendly residents and an intriguing history. Once upon a time the Indians that lived close by called this land bad and refused to settle there, but that was a long time ago and sure there have been some odd events now and then. Like young Lucy that apparently ate her husband and then disappeared and, of course, the well-known mining accident that claimed all the residents except one person. But that was a long time ago, this is a sweet ord ...more
Frank Errington
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review copy

Something terrible happened before the fire that destroyed Cavus, Montana, in 1937. Now, it's happening again.

There was a lot I liked about Consumption. For example, the story of how John and Erma met and fell in love was magical; wonderfully crafted, ultimately believable, which made what happened next so heartbreaking.

I also liked the story of Lucy McClarin, told through her journal, the circus, and what happened in 1937.

Then there's the Black Squirrel Festival and finally, the Feed
Ellen Gail
"Don't fight it. Just admit it. Admit your sins, man. They're beautiful. You're beautiful, you humans with your dirt and your filth and your sins. It's the trying to cover them that's wrong."

Hmmm maybe 3.5 stars? I can't make up my mind about this. I very much enjoyed the mind-fuckery aspects and the growing sense of dread that built throughout the first half. I thought the switching perspectives, especially John and Erma, and the way they all eventually collided was really smartly interwoven.
April Showers Bring Fungi From Yuggoth
Review: CONSUMPTION by Heather Herrman

CONSUMPTION is pure unrelenting horror, finally a "new" twist; very scary and definitely not the routinized "vamps-werewolves-serial killers-zombies" tropes. CONSUMPTION has an almost-Lovecraftian overtone (I won't spoil the suspense by pointing out where it surfaces). Most amazing, this novel provided something I've not experienced in a long time: a brooding atmosphere that perturbed me and put me on edge from the very first page, not despair but the immine
Jeanne
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I got this book from Netgally as an advanced read:
I really enjoyed reading this book. The story line was intriguing and the characters came alive as I was reading. I read this book late into the night when I should have been sleeping because I had to know what was happening. As I learned more about the characters, I wanted to them to make it through the story. The twists of the story kept me guessing and the writing was very good. I am glad I found this story!
Blendy
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 "Evil is an asshole in a yellow slicker" Stars

There are certain books, that while you are reading them, you wonder to yourself, “Hmmm, what the fuck am I reading??” and then there are others that you think, “WHAT.IN.THE.FUCK am I reading???”…well, for me, my feelings while reading Consumption fell right in between those two reactions…it was more of a, “Hmmm…this is weir..WHOA! What in the fucking hell??” Even though it seems like it would be a scary read, it really wasn’t for me, I wasn’t
Marvin
May 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
When I read a blurb on a book that compares it to Stephen King, I cringe a little. Sometimes it seems like every horror author wants to be Stephen King. I cant blame them. I want to be Stephen King. But those public relation drones in the advertising division of that mainstream publishing company wants you to be Stephen King because that is where the big bucks are. If I ever do write the great American horror novel, I plan to have a provision in my contract that says, "DO NOT COMPARE ME WITH STE ...more
Glenn Rolfe
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Heather Herrman's debut horror novel, Consumption, is a ride through the small town of Cavus.

Cavus is cursed by something called, The Feeders. They devour souls and flourish off the sins of man. The only thing preventing The Feeders from bringing a full-blown hell to Earth is a small group of people thrown together by fate. When The Feeders reveal themselves, the fate of Cavus and the world is left to the only uninfected humans still standing in the cursed town.

I enjoyed the characters. Star, E
Lou Sytsma
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Many horror books are purported to be the next thing fans of Stephen King should be sure to read. Almost every time such claims turn out to be false. Almost.

But not this time. Heather Herrman shares King's ability to create characters that seem alive and that we come to care about. Consumption is in many ways like King's second book - Salems Lot in concept and reminds me of Carrie in execution. A small town hides a dark secret. One that preys on its habitants time and time again. This time, the
Ionia
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fast paced, quick-witted and unpredictable.

As one can expect with any Hydra book, this one definitely has some gross out factor, so if that bothers you in a horror book, then you may want to pass. As for the rest of us, who don't mind some well placed gore and darker visions of humanity, I say read it.

There are some classic horror moments here. Couple stranded on the side of the road, dog who almost becomes dead dog in the first few chapters, and those lead into an all out brawl of good vs. ev
Bree Garcia
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars, really.

To be honest, I requested this book on NetGalley because it said for fans of Stephen King and Joe Hill, and those are two of my favorite writers. Also, they're kind of big shoes to fill. Luckily, Heather Herrman does not disappoint.

John and Erma Scott are on a trip across the United States in order to start over. While their marriage is falling apart, they both deal with it in different ways. But then they come across quaint Cavus, Montana, and they're suddenly fighting for som
Wendy O'connell
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Consumption is a great twist on the apocalyptic zombie genre, because it adds a philosophical aspect to ‘consuming’ folks. These ‘Walkers’ not only eat flesh, but the soul of a human being. This carnage of flesh eating monsters is contained within the small town, Cavus. If this apocalypse is contained within its Plato cave, then the world will be saved a soul, or two.

This plot line of saving, introduces a number of would-be heroes, and heroines. The first two are Erma and John, a couple on the
Renea
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I received this book as a Net galley ARC and it did not disappoint. The novel's beginning is truly clever as it might have you thinking, this is about greedy land barons and the lengths they will go to for riches. In a way it is, but not the riches your and I would think, it is so much more. This book reminds me of a cross between Stephen Kings "The Regulators" and the movie "Fallen".

We meet two of the main characters as they are on a cross-country trip and get a glimpse into their lives and wh
David Bernstein
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Consumption is an engaging, imaginative and frightening read. It's small town horror, but there's nothing small about the novel. It's packed with a plethora of fleshed out characters and action. It moves along nicely. never getting bogged down with stuff the reader doesn't care about. The "creatures" are nasty and quite vicious and I loved the back story about them and the town. Consumption is an all around solid book and has just the right amount of story, character, blood and guts to satisfy a ...more
Julia
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I liked the first half of the book, but I loved the second half. During the first half, the point of view skipped around quite a bit. At times, it wasn't exactly clear to me which character was talking. It was also hard in the beginning to see how all the characters and stories will come together.

I really started to enjoy the book about half way through, when we were introduced to Jessi's diary. The story of the circus coming to town was really interesting. After that, everything started coming
Polly Krize
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Dark horror, worthy of all-night reading to see what happens! With mostly well-developed characters, Ms. Herman has written an original story of the effects of an age-old evil on a small Montana town.

Although I was a little doubtful at first, I found myself getting immersed in this book. We must remember that there are other horror writers worth a read! Recommended.
Amanda
Feb 13, 2016 rated it liked it
This book would have rated so much higher if something at all had happened in the first 75% of the book. Now I'm a reader who loves detail and back stories, but this book felt like it went no where. Saying that, once it did get into the story, it was very good. 3 stars
Jay Williams
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Better than any horror movie! The story is believable, the characters are well-drawn and likeable, and the plot drives a growing intensity of feeling. It is extremely well-written and develops great mental imagery, along with continued vague provocations that whet the reader's appetite for more.
Ana
May 25, 2015 rated it liked it

It took me a while to get into the book. First of all, it took me a while to figure out there were two characters besides the body on the floor, because I found the names so similar, Grady and Graham.

Other than that, I thought it was just me not being able to focus but there was definitely something about the prose, which continued later on. It's that thing where the author tries to give you clues to what will come later but it is just too confusing and yo
Darlene
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on Peeking Between the Pages: http://www.peekingbetweenthepages.com...

I am a true fan of horror. Always have been and always will be. Consumption by Heather Herrman, which released today, fed that love of mine to perfection. Consumption is a fantastic debut novel that offers up a pulse pounding thrill ride through its pages. Evil is definitely lurking and it kept me glued to this classic horror story until the very last page!

John and Erma are trying to piece their lives back to
Stephanie
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror-thriller
The small, old mining town of Cavus, Montana holds a dark past that stems from an ancient evil. Most of the town does not know the true events that led up to the fire that killed all of the residents of Cavus except one girl named Jessi and the now famous black squirrels. Jessi’s husband, Pill now keeps the secret of what truly happened all those years ago, and he sees the signs of the evil coming back… just in time for the town’s annual Black Squirrel festival. Some members of the town notice t ...more
Deborah
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, own

The publisher likens Heather Herrman's debut novel, Consumption, to the work of Stephen King, Joe Hill, and Sarah Langan, and the comparison is apt. Consumption is a classic horror story and, thus, predictable, but the characters are interesting and the story is well-paced. I might even have been inclined to give it 4 stars, were it not for a confusing timeline at the beginning (revolving around the interactions of Star, her father, and Riley) and a few abruptly dropped plot threads. Fo
Frank Hering
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you enjoy reading Stephen King, you'll like this novel. As in his work, Consumption has horror and suspense along with complex characters and relationships. Truthfully, Consumption reminded me a lot of Stephen King' s Desperation. But I really liked that book, so I didn't mind that this one was quite similar.
Alis Franklin
Classic small-town American horror at its most claustrophobic and intimate, and a great take on the zombie/vampire mythos that draws from the traditions of I am Legend. Utterly devouring, in all the best possible ways.
Philip Bailey
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really not my type of book yet written well enough to carry me to the last page. Best I can describe it is a mixture of romance, gruesome horror, and fiction cleverly conceived to attract fans of this particular fantasy. By that measure it is of course a story that lingers in my mind.
PJ
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
**Spoilerish**

Well, this was all over the shop.

I really want(ed) to like Consumption. Heather Herrman has a good command of the language, writes well and solidly. This, I seem to recall her first novel, was easy and enjoyable in the reading.

But there were some serious problems here with structure. It's not easy to pin down precisely what the issue was, but the best I can do is say that it's related to "balance". That is, while the story developed and moved along towards its final climax and con
Jeanette
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Evil...

After losing their jobs, John & Erma are going cross country to Maine, looking for a job with John's uncle. Going thru Montana, Erma has car trouble close to a small town. The friendly sheriff offers help, he will take them to a place for the night, but there are no wreckers or mechanics available. Everyone in town is getting ready for the "Black Squirrel Festival".
Everyone is super nice, but there is an undercurrent of something undeniably wrong with some people. Is it the new sugar
Sandra Knapp
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a journey of a different kind, and certainly, one like I've never read before. A good thing I believe.

First off, this is a complete story, not a teaser. Hooray for that!
There was some graphic sexual detail that I believe could have been left out without causing any damage to the story at all, but that's just my opinion. The Author must have felt it added something that I obviously missed. :)

The tale was well written, and the main characters well defined. I think the Author showed great
Kristi
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I truly did not really read too much about this book before I started it and did not know what I was getting into.
It was creepy af. I finished it at midnight and then couldn’t sleep! 😩

But it was a good story, kind of King-esque as far as plot. Weird people, characters could have been developed a little more and the ending could have been more elaborate.

When the group got together with Pill, I felt like it just went too fast with not a lot of explanation.

All in all a good creepy read. Perfect
  • Sheep and Wolves
  • The Blood of Before  (The Bones of the Earth, #0.1)
  • Dark Screams: Volume Two
  • Your Presence Is Requested at Suvanto
  • Katie
  • Dead in the Water
  • Malus Domestica
  • Spook House (Harmony, Indiana, #3)
  • Bad Glass
  • Even Zombie Killers Get The Blues (Zombie Killer Blues, #1)
  • Red Tide: The Chinese Invasion of Seattle (Occupied Seattle, #1)