Start by marking “The Earl's Defiant Wallflower (The Dukes of War, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Earl's Defiant Wallflower (The Dukes of War, #2)

The Earl's Defiant Wallflower

(The Dukes of War #2)

Oliver York returns from war to find his father dead, his finances in arrears, and himself the new Earl of Carlisle. If he doesn't marry an heiress—and fast!—he and his tenants are going to be pitching tents down by the Thames. He definitely shouldn't be trading kisses with a penniless debutante... no matter how captivating she is!

Miss Grace Halton is in England just long
Published December 1st 2014 by Intrepid Reads

To ask other readers questions about The Earl's Defiant Wallflower, please sign up.
Erica Ridley Hi Elaine! Yes, this book will also be available in the UK once it releases. Launch day is December 2014! :)

Start your review of The Earl's Defiant Wallflower (The Dukes of War, #2)
WhiskeyintheJar
I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review

Yankee Grace has traveled to England to secure, hopefully, a monetary advantageous match. Her mother is deathly ill back home in America and her grandparents are miserly generally all around horrible people; Grace's situation is a bit dire you could say. Unfortunately, without a respectable dowry the ton is looking down their aristocratic noses at Grace and the s
Jacob Proffitt
Jan 03, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
This is second in a series, but I couldn't detect any connection to the first, really. Though the first is light-years better so you're better off reading that one instead, if you haven't.

I only lasted as long as I did (about mid-way) because I figured it was short enough that it couldn't suck forever. Which is technically true but unproven by me. Grace's "plan" is about as stupid as you can imagine and since it drives literally all of the action it represents a giant anchor on believing anythin
Vicki
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Oliver York, Earl of Carlisle comes back from the war he comes back with his wounded and broken friends and to fiind his father has died. He died in a rumor causing way and he died with some unexpected surprises for his son the heir.

When Oliver goes to his first ball after his return, he is attracted to the wallflower that seems to not quite fit in with the others. When he learns that she is pretty much shunned due to her American accent and her merchant grandparents, Oliver still makes hi
Yodamom

Was I in some kind of super warp drive ? This started and concluded before I knew it. I never got to know any of the side characters, who had potential. The build up for the romance was nonexistent. It just happened, instant love. Okay, yes there was an issue that was supposed to keep them apart but it was paved over with the all too fast resolution.
A poor American girl returns to the home of her mother, England, to find a rich husband so she can get her dowery and return to America to save her
Wendy
Nov 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jan-15
The Earl's Defiant Wallflower is the first book in "The Dukes Of War" series, following the prequel The Viscount's Christmas Temptation.
Oliver York, the new Earl of Carlisle, inherits this title upon his return from the war. His corrupt father left him penniless and the only way to save his estate and to take care of his people is to marry an heiress.
Grace Halton, an American, is feeling out of place and scorned by the proper English society, and is on a mission to find a wealthy husband to help
Isa Lavinia

actual rating 2.5 stars

ARC provided by the author through Netgalley

This is a difficult book to rate.
I have trouble discerning if the problem was actually with the book or with my frustrated expectations.

I LOVED the prequel to this series, I gave it 5/5 stars. If you follow my reviews you know how rare such a thing is.
So I went into The Earl's Defiant Wallflower expecting more light-hearted romance, with a lot of humour in the mix.

I instantly disliked the main characters. Why? I don't real
Debby
I usual like Erica Ridley's stories but this one fell a bit flat for me. Not as enjoyable but I read anyway. ...more
Glynnis
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a quirky, fun, smart, engaging read with characters who draw you in and amuse you with witty banter and heartfelt affection. I normally don't care for Regencies because they feature entitled and wealthy, often spoiled heroes and heroines who do nothing more than attend parties. But this story's protagonists are full of purpose and good will, with interests and goals. The love scenes in the book were passionate, but tastefully handled. I found the book a delightfully refreshing, easy read an ...more
Miranda
His lips brushed hers. Light. Feathery. Still giving her a chance to say no, to turn away.
She would not. She would have this moment, every bit of this moment, because it would have to carry her through the rest of her life. This was Oliver. In her heart, he was hers. If only for this moment.

photo earl2_zpsjl5hak7m.gif

5 fantastic stars!

I finished this book with a satisfied sigh and a smile. Erica Ridley can write a story! I was captured within the first few pages and before I knew it, the book had ended. I just wish it
Kiltsandswords
Nov 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Earl’s Defiant Wallflower(Duke’s of War Book #1) by Erica Ridley

This is the first in a new series for Erica Ridley. I recently read the novella that introduces the series, The Viscount’s Christmas Temptation, so I had high hopes for this book.
Right away we are introduced to Oliver and his situation. He returns from war with his best friends in very bad shape. Although he is not harmed physically or emotionally like them, he is almost bankrupt due to his father’s mismanagement of the estate.
Trish R.
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another fun and sensual story..

A young woman from America and an Earl, both in dire need of money, meet at a ball while looking for a rich husband and/or wife, only to be attracted to each other, and having Oliver compromise Grace. Grace wanted to get her dowry from her grandparents so she has to marry and then she’s hoping her new husband will let her go back to America to get her ill mother. And Oliver needs money to rebuild the Earldom his father flittered away. Yeah, it didn’t quite work out
Kathie (katmom)
HAPPY RELEASE DAY!!!

I thoroughly enjoyed the first book in this series, The Viscount's Christmas Temptation. There was a teaser chapter at the end for this one, and I was immediately drawn in.

Oliver has a title that he never wanted. What he doesn't have is the money to keep the home fires burning. He is incredibly worried about the people that depend upon him. He's really not ready to marry, but he has to find a bride with plenty of money. He's also a rescuer. He tries to take care of his serva
Iza Brekilien
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
I don't know why I was reluctant to begin reading this book, it was a very good surprise, really ! I loved the characters, the story, the background stories and I can't wait to read the next.
I mean, I know I'll wait because I'm cleaning my e-reader this year, but when I'm done, the next Duke of war will definitely be on my to read list :)
Tia
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-read-books
My rating is 3.75

Oh, how I've missed reading Regency Romance. This was a really good quick read. I think the turn around of Grace's grandmother was a bit brisk. Oliver was the entire book for me. I only wish, in real life, good people were rewarded as they usually are in novels.
Ursula
I wish this author would write a book I really enjoy.
Again, an implausible story that might appeal to some American readers because of an American heroine, but her ideas about how to get money for her sick mother back in America were plain ridiculous. A dowry is a gift to the husband you silly chit. Even when this is explained to her, she continues with her tortuous efforts to snare a husband so she can get hold of her dowry. What? Didn't we just tell her she won't even see the money?
Not super impressed. Forgettable and underwhelming.
Dianne
Desperate to help find the finances to heal her mother, Grace travels from America to London to meet the grandparents her mother ran from. Their price? She must marry one of London’s finer young men to assure a more positive standing for her grandparents and a dowry from their tight purses. Not aware of the social graces of the Ton, Grace is considered beneath the eligible men until one handsome and eligible man, Oliver rescues her from the hell of society parties. Could Oliver be the man to fin ...more
The Earl's Defiant Wallflower tells the story of an English soldier who suddenly inherits his father's title. Oliver York, now the Earl of Carlisle, has also just discovered that his father has left him in dire financial straits so he is on the hunt for an heiress while dealing with the aftermath of years at war. Unfortunately, his plans take an abrupt turn when he meets Grace Halton, a shy American who is desperate to marry quickly and then return home to her ailing mother.

I really liked both O
Lorka
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: n-for-novella
Right off the bat, I was thinking the title should have been The Earl's Bitchy Wallflower.
Since Santa paid full price for this book, I forced myself to read as much of it as I could. I made it to page 110 of 194, to the scene of the heroine describing to the hero how her father died years ago. The hero's reaction was over the top corny. This might be the first time I actually thought 'gross' to this first kissing scene... Actually most of the book was like watching extremely bad acting in a soa
Farrah
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delightfully lovely historical romance, The Earl's Defiant Wallflower was a truly enjoyable read. It was romantic, witty, and I really liked it.

Grace was a great heroine. Determined to find a way to help her mother, she went to England to find herself a husband. Though her plan seemed cold, it was immediately obvious that she wasn't the coldly calculating type. She loved fiercely and fought for what she wanted. I thought she was lovely.

Oliver was just as likable. Very sweet and determined to s
Inishowen Cailín
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The best thing I've read since Julia Quinn's Bridgerton series.

Grace is an American looking for a rich, titled husband. She needs the money to bring her sick mother home to England. She is attracted to Oliver, the Earl of Carlisle. The only problem is his finances are in complete disarray and he is looking for a rich heiress to pull him out of bankruptcy.

This is such a sweet, romantic story. Grace and Oliver are just adorable. There is a fairy tale quality about how they meet and fall in love.
Maria
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am so glad I decided to try this author again. This is book 1 from Dukes of War Series. I had previously read her 0.5 short novella first, The Viscount's Christmas Temptation and it was too Vanilla for me, even though it had tons of potential.

The Earl's Defiant Wallflower was very good. I loved the storyline, humor and the descriptive passion. It truly redeemed my view. I look forward to the next book in the series.
Connie
What a beautiful story about Grace and Oliver, two people trying to make it in historical England without any family support at all. Oliver's father, spent all his money on drunken liaisons with his mistress. Grace's selfish grandparents refuse to help their own daughter. So Grace is desperately trying to find a rich husband so she can get her mother the necessary medical help. Lots of surprises, twists and turns in this one! ...more
XxTainaxX Curvy and Nerdy
Oliver and Grace's story was cute. Grace thought she was destined for a marriage of convenience but she doesn't want a fortune hunter to win her hand. The "compromising situation" was a bit anticlimactic for me but overall it was an enjoyable read. Oliver's attitude was sweet. I don't think Grace could doubt his intent. The things he does for her in the end wrap up the story very nicely. ...more
Cynthia
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

Another wonderful story from Erica's. This gas van American who comes to England to get help from her grandparents. They will only help if she marries well. He just became a Count since his father died while he was a war, but left him penny less. Can love and honor concur all.
Patty McKenna Van Hulle
Checkout my revised review on Flame Resistant Undies Romance Reviews.

alex
A complaint: this is way too short to be billed as a full-length novel. It suffered dramatically from a case of deus ex machina in the last 10 pages, and the emotional development wasn’t quite as deep as I’d have liked it to be.

Those things aside, this was a cute, fast-paced romance. There were parts I found sweet (Oliver rehearsing his vows) and I liked that they were so utterly charmed by one another.

However, the fact that it was basically insta-love and that the ~villains were almost carica
Mrs Caroline Trevor
Good

I found this a good book. Oliver is a great hero. He wants to help his friends by taking them out of themselves after returning home from war with various scars. He meets Grace and they share a connection. She needs to marry in a hurry in order to help her mother who is I'll in America. Can they overcome all the hurdles in their way to find love.
Jess
Jan 15, 2018 marked it as abandoned
The reason why I didn't abandon this earlier is that I forgot I was even reading it.

I liked this first one in this series, but I'm no slave to continuity because I'm abandoning the second. It's boring, I guess? I can't remember. At 33%, I give up.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 17, 2015 12:29PM

• One Night of Surrender (Wicked Dukes Club #2)
  • Theory of Magic (Unexpected Magic, #3)
  • One Night of Scandal (Wicked Dukes Club #4)
  • A Duke for Miss Daisy (A Wallflower's Wish, #1)
  • A Duke's Duty (The Duke's Club, #2)
  • One Night of Temptation (Wicked Dukes Club #6)
  • His Wicked Embrace (The League of Rogues, #6)
  • Her Protector's Pleasure (Mayhem in Mayfair, #3)
  • The Bluestocking and the Rake (Hearts in Hiding Book 2)
  • Gambling on the Duke's Daughter (Brides of Scandal Book 1)
  • Destroyed & Restored: The Baron's Courageous Wife (Love's Second Chance: Tales of Lords and Ladies, #7)
  • A Taste of Seduction (An Unlikely Husband #1)
  • The Lady to Match a Rogue: Faith (The Baggington Sisters Book 4)
  • Always Believe in Love (Emerson #4)
  • The Duke's Bride (Regency Brides #1)
  • The Rake is Taken (League of Lords, #2)
  • Live and Let Spy (The King's Rogues, #1)
  • To Vex a Viscount (Lords of London #4)
Get freebies and 99¢ deals at: https://ridley.vip

Erica Ridley is a New York Times and USA Today best-selling author of historical romance novels, including the upcoming THE DUKE HEIST, featuring the Wild Wynchesters. Why seduce a duke the normal way, when you can accidentally kidnap one in an elaborately planned heist?

In the 12 Dukes of Christmas series, enjoy witty, heartwarming Regency romps nes

The Dukes of War (9 books)
  • The Viscount's Tempting Minx (The Dukes of War, #1)
  • The Captain's Bluestocking Mistress (The Dukes of War #3)
  • The Major's Faux Fiancee (The Dukes of War, #4)
  • The Brigadier's Runaway Bride (The Dukes of War #5)
  • The Pirate's Tempting Stowaway (The Dukes of War #6)
  • The Duke's Accidental Wife (Dukes of War, #7)
  • All I Want (The Dukes of War, #8)
  • Holiday Reunion (Dukes of War, #8)