Start by marking “The Earl's Defiant Wallflower (The Dukes of War, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Earl's Defiant Wallflower (The Dukes of War, #2)

The Earl's Defiant Wallflower

(The Dukes of War #2)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  1,882 Ratings  ·  301 Reviews
Oliver York returns from war to find his father dead, his finances in arrears, and himself the new Earl of Carlisle. If he doesn't marry an heiress—and fast!—he and his tenants are going to be pitching tents down by the Thames. He definitely shouldn't be trading kisses with a penniless debutante... no matter how captivating she is!

Miss Grace Halton is in England just long
Published December 1st 2014 by Intrepid Reads

To ask other readers questions about The Earl's Defiant Wallflower, please sign up.
Erica Ridley Hi Elaine! Yes, this book will also be available in the UK once it releases. Launch day is December 2014! :)

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker
I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review

Yankee Grace has traveled to England to secure, hopefully, a monetary advantageous match. Her mother is deathly ill back home in America and her grandparents are miserly generally all around horrible people; Grace's situation is a bit dire you could say. Unfortunately, without a respectable dowry the ton is looking down their aristocratic noses at Grace and the s
Vicki
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Oliver York, Earl of Carlisle comes back from the war he comes back with his wounded and broken friends and to fiind his father has died. He died in a rumor causing way and he died with some unexpected surprises for his son the heir.

When Oliver goes to his first ball after his return, he is attracted to the wallflower that seems to not quite fit in with the others. When he learns that she is pretty much shunned due to her American accent and her merchant grandparents, Oliver still makes hi
Yodamom

Was I in some kind of super warp drive ? This started and concluded before I knew it. I never got to know any of the side characters, who had potential. The build up for the romance was nonexistent. It just happened, instant love. Okay, yes there was an issue that was supposed to keep them apart but it was paved over with the all too fast resolution.
A poor American girl returns to the home of her mother, England, to find a rich husband so she can get her dowery and return to America to save her
Wendy
Nov 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jan-15
The Earl's Defiant Wallflower is the first book in "The Dukes Of War" series, following the prequel The Viscount's Christmas Temptation.
Oliver York, the new Earl of Carlisle, inherits this title upon his return from the war. His corrupt father left him penniless and the only way to save his estate and to take care of his people is to marry an heiress.
Grace Halton, an American, is feeling out of place and scorned by the proper English society, and is on a mission to find a wealthy husband to help
Isa Lavinia

actual rating 2.5 stars

ARC provided by the author through Netgalley

This is a difficult book to rate.
I have trouble discerning if the problem was actually with the book or with my frustrated expectations.

I LOVED the prequel to this series, I gave it 5/5 stars. If you follow my reviews you know how rare such a thing is.
So I went into The Earl's Defiant Wallflower expecting more light-hearted romance, with a lot of humour in the mix.

I instantly disliked the main characters. Why? I don't really
mirada
lástima de traducción que hace que la historia pierda en cada página. A eso se añade precipitación en la historia, información incompleta, etc. hace que no se disfrute. Eso sí, la abuela de ella es un buen secundario. Qué ganas de hacer que se trague sus palabras.
Glynnis
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a quirky, fun, smart, engaging read with characters who draw you in and amuse you with witty banter and heartfelt affection. I normally don't care for Regencies because they feature entitled and wealthy, often spoiled heroes and heroines who do nothing more than attend parties. But this story's protagonists are full of purpose and good will, with interests and goals. The love scenes in the book were passionate, but tastefully handled. I found the book a delightfully refreshing, easy read an ...more
Miranda
His lips brushed hers. Light. Feathery. Still giving her a chance to say no, to turn away.
She would not. She would have this moment, every bit of this moment, because it would have to carry her through the rest of her life. This was Oliver. In her heart, he was hers. If only for this moment.

photo earl2_zpsjl5hak7m.gif

5 fantastic stars!

I finished this book with a satisfied sigh and a smile. Erica Ridley can write a story! I was captured within the first few pages and before I knew it, the book had ended. I just wish it wa
Kiltsandswords
Nov 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Earl’s Defiant Wallflower(Duke’s of War Book #1) by Erica Ridley

This is the first in a new series for Erica Ridley. I recently read the novella that introduces the series, The Viscount’s Christmas Temptation, so I had high hopes for this book.
Right away we are introduced to Oliver and his situation. He returns from war with his best friends in very bad shape. Although he is not harmed physically or emotionally like them, he is almost bankrupt due to his father’s mismanagement of the estate.
Trish R.
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another fun and sensual story..

A young woman from America and an Earl, both in dire need of money, meet at a ball while looking for a rich husband and/or wife, only to be attracted to each other, and having Oliver compromise Grace. Grace wanted to get her dowry from her grandparents so she has to marry and then she’s hoping her new husband will let her go back to America to get her ill mother. And Oliver needs money to rebuild the Earldom his father flittered away. Yeah, it didn’t quite work out
Kathie (katmom)
HAPPY RELEASE DAY!!!

I thoroughly enjoyed the first book in this series, The Viscount's Christmas Temptation. There was a teaser chapter at the end for this one, and I was immediately drawn in.

Oliver has a title that he never wanted. What he doesn't have is the money to keep the home fires burning. He is incredibly worried about the people that depend upon him. He's really not ready to marry, but he has to find a bride with plenty of money. He's also a rescuer. He tries to take care of his serva
Majo
Cortito, dramático y muy dulce. Oliver y Grace son muy tiernos juntos, y los personajes secundarios siempre son de lo más divertidos.

Disfrute mucho más este libro que el primero de la serie y, sinceramente no encuentro la relación entre los personajes de ambos.
Sin duda voy a seguir con estos libros, tengo muchas ganas de leer la historia de Xavier ahora.
Dianne
Desperate to help find the finances to heal her mother, Grace travels from America to London to meet the grandparents her mother ran from. Their price? She must marry one of London’s finer young men to assure a more positive standing for her grandparents and a dowry from their tight purses. Not aware of the social graces of the Ton, Grace is considered beneath the eligible men until one handsome and eligible man, Oliver rescues her from the hell of society parties. Could Oliver be the man to fin ...more
The Earl's Defiant Wallflower tells the story of an English soldier who suddenly inherits his father's title. Oliver York, now the Earl of Carlisle, has also just discovered that his father has left him in dire financial straits so he is on the hunt for an heiress while dealing with the aftermath of years at war. Unfortunately, his plans take an abrupt turn when he meets Grace Halton, a shy American who is desperate to marry quickly and then return home to her ailing mother.

I really liked both O
Farrah
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delightfully lovely historical romance, The Earl's Defiant Wallflower was a truly enjoyable read. It was romantic, witty, and I really liked it.

Grace was a great heroine. Determined to find a way to help her mother, she went to England to find herself a husband. Though her plan seemed cold, it was immediately obvious that she wasn't the coldly calculating type. She loved fiercely and fought for what she wanted. I thought she was lovely.

Oliver was just as likable. Very sweet and determined to s
Inishowen Cailín
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The best thing I've read since Julia Quinn's Bridgerton series.

Grace is an American looking for a rich, titled husband. She needs the money to bring her sick mother home to England. She is attracted to Oliver, the Earl of Carlisle. The only problem is his finances are in complete disarray and he is looking for a rich heiress to pull him out of bankruptcy.

This is such a sweet, romantic story. Grace and Oliver are just adorable. There is a fairy tale quality about how they meet and fall in love.
Maria
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am so glad I decided to try this author again. This is book 1 from Dukes of War Series. I had previously read her 0.5 short novella first, The Viscount's Christmas Temptation and it was too Vanilla for me, even though it had tons of potential.

The Earl's Defiant Wallflower was very good. I loved the storyline, humor and the descriptive passion. It truly redeemed my view. I look forward to the next book in the series.
Connie
What a beautiful story about Grace and Oliver, two people trying to make it in historical England without any family support at all. Oliver's father, spent all his money on drunken liaisons with his mistress. Grace's selfish grandparents refuse to help their own daughter. So Grace is desperately trying to find a rich husband so she can get her mother the necessary medical help. Lots of surprises, twists and turns in this one!
Isa
May 22, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
En este libro, la ambientación brilla por su ausencia. Solo la fecha de inicio, la descripción de algún vestido, la guerra de Napoleón a la que se hace referencia de pasada y el título de Oliver indican que estamos en la Regencia. Por lo demás...
Hay expresiones y pensamientos muy actuales. Sin embargo, me he entretenido.
Cynthia
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

Another wonderful story from Erica's. This gas van American who comes to England to get help from her grandparents. They will only help if she marries well. He just became a Count since his father died while he was a war, but left him penny less. Can love and honor concur all.
Mrs Caroline Trevor
Good

I found this a good book. Oliver is a great hero. He wants to help his friends by taking them out of themselves after returning home from war with various scars. He meets Grace and they share a connection. She needs to marry in a hurry in order to help her mother who is I'll in America. Can they overcome all the hurdles in their way to find love.
Jess
Jan 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
The reason why I didn't abandon this earlier is that I forgot I was even reading it.

I liked this first one in this series, but I'm no slave to continuity because I'm abandoning the second. It's boring, I guess? I can't remember. At 33%, I give up.
Kat
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A short and sweet little period romance.
Jaclyn
The Earl’s Defiant Wallflower is a short historical romance, which is a series opener. The series is to focus on three young men who went away to war, and perhaps the young man that did not.

In the first book, Lord Oliver York has returned to society. He’s determined to encourage his mute friend, Captain Xaiver Grey, back into the land of the living, even if his return to the ballrooms of the ton gives the impression he’s in want of a wife. He’s not. He’d prefer never to get married, at least unt
Vânia Nunes
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Vânia by: NetGalley
Grace Halton came from America, more precisely from Pennsylvania, looking for a rich husband. Not that she wanted his money. But if he had enough money, would not mind if she took away money from her dowry for a simple matter: her mother was extremely ill in America, barely able to get out of bed, and this money would help to have sufficient resources to her medical treatment.

But Grace, even though a certain beauty, needed to overcome some barriers. First her grandmother; an uncompromising woman
Linda
" The Earl's Defiant Wallflower " , is the first in Erica Ridley's new series The Dukes of War series and our heroine Grace Halton earns the title well. Grace has come to England to find a. Match and marry well, she has no choice her mother is gravely ill at home in America and the only way tongetnthe funds to treat her s to secure her Dowry from her grandparents, small though it is, the funds will be enough to genher back to America, nurse her mother back to health and return to England to be a ...more
Shauni

Originally Reviewed For: Bodice Rippers, Femme Fatales and Fantasy

Looking for a fun Regency book? Nothing too dramatic or stressful? Just two people trying to find a way to be together? Then Erica Ridley's The Earl's Defiant Wallflower is perfect for you. In book one of her Dukes of War Series, Ms. Ridley lays the groundwork for her new series and I believe she does a very good job.

Miss Grace Halton has a duty to perform. In order to obtain her dowry she must marry. Hopefully her husband will th
Lorka
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: n-for-novella
Right off the bat, I was thinking the title should have been The Earl's Bitchy Wallflower.
Since Santa paid full price for this book, I forced myself to read as much of it as I could. I made it to page 110 of 194, to the scene of the heroine describing to the hero how her father died years ago. The hero's reaction was over the top corny. This might be the first time I actually thought 'gross' to this first kissing scene... Actually most of the book was like watching extremely bad acting in a soa
Jacki
Dec 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this in exchange for an honest review through Wicked Reads.

I had mixed feelings about this book. It was a charming, easy to read HEA type of book, but it ended up feeling rushed. It started off nicely with an interesting and developed stroline with Grace and Oliver both struggling with their own issues. Their stories were detailed and intricate, but somewhere at the midpoint, it seemed like it was suddenly time to wrap things up and the depth completely disappeared and was
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 17, 2015 12:29PM
  • The Scandal Before Christmas (The Reckless Brides, #3.5)
  • It Happened Under the Mistletoe (Secret Brides, #3.5)
  • Brody (Circle Eight, #2)
  • Bound by Wish and Mistletoe (Highland Legends #1.5)
  • The Highlander's Sin (Stolen Bride, #6)
  • The Border Laird's Bride (Borderland Brides #2)
  • Christmas Brides
  • The Rogue's Proposal (House of Trent, #2)
  • Say Yes to the Duke (House of Brady, #3)
  • Fire of the Dragon (Bestiary, #1)
  • Texas Mail Order Bride (Bachelors of Battle Creek, #1)
  • Seven-Night Stand
  • Geek Girls Don't Date Dukes (Geek Girls, #2)
  • In Love with a Wicked Man
  • Reclaimed: A Highland Historical Trilogy (Highland Historical, #4-6) (The MacKays, #1-3)
  • The Bride Says Maybe (The Brides of Wishmore, #2)
  • Secrets for Seducing a Royal Bodyguard (The Renegade Royals, #1)
  • To Sin with a Viking (Forbidden Vikings, #1)
Get freebies and 99¢ deals at: http://ridley.vip

Erica Ridley is a USA Today and New York Times best-selling author of historical romance novels.

In her new Rogues to Riches historical romance series, sigh-worthy Regency rogues sweep strong-willed young ladies into whirlwind romances.

Fan-favorite Dukes of War features charming peers and dashing war heroes who return from battle only to be thrust in

The Dukes of War (8 books)
  • The Viscount's Christmas Temptation (The Dukes of War, #1)
  • The Captain's Bluestocking Mistress (The Dukes of War, #3)
  • The Major's Faux Fiancée (The Dukes of War, #4)
  • The Brigadier's Runaway Bride (The Dukes of War, #5)
  • The Pirate's Tempting Stowaway (The Dukes of War, #6)
  • The Duke's Accidental Wife (The Dukes of War, #7)
  • All I Want (The Dukes of War, #8)
“What shall we say when people ask us how we met?”

The corners of her mouth twitched. “We’ll say I was in my nightrail, brushing my hair in peaceful solitude, when you climbed up to my balcony and—”

“Do you even have a balcony?”

She pursed her lips. “You’re not invited upon it, regardless.”

He gave her a slow, naughty smile. “No one’s ever *invited* to scale a balcony.”
1 likes
“Oliver couldn’t walk away. Not when the wallflower needed rescuing. His goddamn Achilles heel, no matter how disastrous the outcome tended to be. He just wished his heroics would work out for once.
He kept his eyes trained on the pretty black-haired American, every muscle tensed for action. An eternity ticked by. No one approached her. She had no one to dance with, to talk to. She looked... lost. Hauntingly lonely. Frightened and defiant all at the same time.
’Twould be better for them both if he turned around right now. Never met her eye. Never exchanged a single word. Left her to her fate and him to his.
It was already too late.”
0 likes