Start by marking “Dark Disciple (Star Wars)” as Want to Read:
Dark Disciple (Star Wars)

Dark Disciple

(Star Wars Disney Canon Novel)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  13,831 ratings  ·  1,307 reviews

The only way to bring down the dark side's most dangerous warrior may be for Jedi and Sith to join forces.

In the war for control of the galaxy between the armies of the dark side and the Republic, former Jedi Master turned ruthless Sith Lord Count Dooku has grown ever more brutal in his tact
Published July 7th 2015 by Lucas Books

To ask other readers questions about Dark Disciple, please sign up.
Fellinara I have read it through 3 times already since this summer. It is a love story but beautifully told. It is no fluff romance novel. I did write a review …moreI have read it through 3 times already since this summer. It is a love story but beautifully told. It is no fluff romance novel. I did write a review but due to mild spoiler, I chose to hide it. Trust me....read it. If you like this one, also read Lost Stars in the SW EU canon.(less)

·  13,831 ratings  ·  1,307 reviews

Start your review of Dark Disciple (Star Wars)
Alejandro
BOTH sides of The Force are strong in this novel!

This is a novel part of the “New Canon” novels published by Disney after its purchase of Lucasfilms and all its properties. The first novel in this new canon set during the Clone Wars, and using scripts planned to be filmed on the CGI TV series but at the end, it wasn’t developed.

AN UNTOLD STORY

What’s worse... to have unhappy stories, or to have no story at all?

Dark Disciple was originally planned to be a multi-episode saga at the fina
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2016/02/02/b...

Based off of an unproduced script for Star Wars: The Clone Wars, this epic tale of action-adventure and romance got its second chance in Star Wars: Dark Disciple, penned by one of my favorite media tie-in novelists Christie Golden. Hands down, this is the best book I’ve read written by her, and certainly this has also become one of my favorite Star Wars books ever. In fact, I can’t even express all that much regret over
Sean Barrs
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: users of the dark side and grey jedi
"One man’s life must be weighed against those of potentially millions of innocents. Isn’t protecting the innocent the very definition of what it means to be a Jedi? We are failing the Republic and its citizens. We must stop this- now.”

How long can a Jedi truly remain a Jedi when the galaxy is at war? How far can the role of peacekeeper be taken? Can it extend to assassination?

If the target is none other than the infamous Count Dooku, then surely his demise will help restore order to the gala
megs_bookrack
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**4.5-stars rounded up**

The only way to bring down the Sith's most powerful warrior may be to join forces with the dark side.

Dark Disciple is an Adult novel within the Disney Star Wars Canon. To put it into a timeline perspective, this book falls after the novel, Catalyst and just prior to the Revenge of the Sith movie.

Interestingly, or at least for fans, this novel is based on a story arc scripted for The Clone Wars television series that went unproduced after the show was canceled.

My initial a
Terence
After Count Dooku mercilessly commits genocide on a planets fleeing inhabitants simply for siding with Republic, the Jedi Council decides something unthinkable for them...assassination. The plan as decided by the council is to assassinate Count Dooku thus ending the war and saving countless lives. Jedi Master Quinlan Vos is chosen for this surprising mission and the Council's orders get even stranger as Vos is ordered to team with former Sith Acolyte Asajj Ventress in order to end Dooku.

When I
Lyn
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
A really damn good Star Wars book.

Veteran SW writer Christie Golden has produced one of the better new Star Wars novels coming out of the Canon list of titles. Using some of the coolest and most interesting characters of the vast Star Wars universe, namely Asajj Ventris, Quinlan Vos, Count Dooku and Obi Wan Kenobi Golden has the Force with her to put together a great story.

One of the great plots in the Star Wars collection of films, animated work, comics, graphic novels, novels and shorter works
Bookwraiths
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths Reviews

A long time ago in a galaxy far,
far away . . . .

description

The Clone Wars rage across the galaxy.
Republic and Separatist forces continually clashing.
World after world destroyed in this brutal conflict.
Even the wisest of the Jedi seeing no end to the war.

On Coruscant, a desperate plan is formulated.
A plan that the Jedi Council hates,
but one they are desperate enough to try.
A plan to send a lone Jedi to assassinate Count Dooku.

Jedi Master Quinlan Vos
Kerry
The novel is very much in the spirit of animated TV show The Clone Wars. Compiled from incomplete scripts, the writing is young adult level so it reads very fast but the plot is interesting enough for learned EU diehards and newbies.

The primary question for me as I read this compilation of scripts rolled into a novel: Is this Asajj Ventress' swan song?

description

The secondary question for old Extended Universe fans: Will popular Jedi Quinlan Vos bear any resemblance to how he was in previous publication
Rebecca Roanhorse
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoyed this book. Loved Vos and Ventress and their complicated relationship. Loved the depiction of the Dark Side and the one scene where Vos truly crosses over was chilling. I like that the Jedi struggle with moral issues and fail. This may be one of my top 3 Star Wars books for pure entertainment value. As others have mentioned, this was originally supposed to be 3(?) episodes in the Clone Wars. Would have loved to see it.
Sud666
Apr 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Dark Disciple is written by the excellent Christie Golden and it essentially ends the story arc of the Clone Wars and Asajj Ventress and Qunilan Vos.

Quinlan Vos, Jedi Master and former Padawan to Jedi Master Tholme, has been very busy during the Clone Wars doing undercover work for the Council. master Tholme is now dead at the hands of Count Dooku and the Council recruits Vos. Yet this is not a normal Jedi mission, this is an assassination ordered by Mace Windu and Yoda on Dooku. Vos is asked to
Chad
Mar 14, 2016 rated it liked it
I've never watched Clone Wars so this was my first entry into this era besides Episodes II and III. The book started off really strong with a Jedi and an ex-Sith teaming up as bounty hunters. About halfway through the book the story morphs into something completely else and takes a downturn. It feels like about 3 books of material were crammed into the last half of this book. There are several places where the story gets swept along so that the author can move onto something else. Asajj Ventress ...more
C.T. Phipps
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Yeah, I don't know how to summarize my opinions on this book. I don't want to to insult Christie Golden as I absolutely adore her and still consider her novel, Arthas, one of my all-time favorite novels. Certainly, she can do romance since I found the Jaina Proudmoore/Arthas Menethil romance to be one of my favorite in the World of Warcraft universe. But this? Well, I just didn't like it.

Before we begin, I should also mention this book isn't like Star Wars: Bloodline or Lost Stars. It's not a
Malum
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
A fantastic Star Wars novel that has it all: action, romance, humor, mystery, and plenty of lightsabers and blasters. This story is also great because of how it treats the dark/light balance. It shows how easy it is to slip into the dark side and, by that same token, shows that not all dark sided people are foaming-at-the-mouth mass murderers. The only place that this book loses a few points from me is around the middle, when Ventress and Vos split up for a bit to do their own things. Their shar ...more
GeekGirl Diva
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
From beginning to end, I absolutely loved this book. Reading the teaser, I knew what I was hoping to read, but the book soared way past my expectations.

Christie Golden gives Asajj Ventress so much life and Vos is both a delight and heartbreaking. The story is sexy, funny, emotional, intense, and has plenty of action. Also, for the Clone Wars fans, there's some great throwbacks and plenty of Jedi intrigue.

Truly one of my favorite books in a long time. Can't recommend it enough.
Serene
Jul 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
Thank goodness the show got cancelled before it could sully Star Wars anymore than it already has with badly-planned stories like this.

It's amazing how much damage Filoni and his pets can do: In one book, two of my favourite characters have been utterly ruined beyond all recognition, and it also unnecessarily destroys any continuity with the existing and the superior Star Wars Republic comics as well as the movies.

Let's also mention the utterly contrived and ridiculous romance between two char
Donna
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I am by no means a Star Wars aficionado. I read Star Wars books for their ability to entertain me which is why the bulk of these, that I have read, seem to be a steady and solid four stars. The audios are wonderful. If you have never tried one, you should probably do at least one. I like the original cast of characters the best. I cringe a little when its the newer cast with Anakin Skywalker. I will admit, I find Anakin completely annoying. He was in this one and I was glad he wasn't as annoying ...more
Amy
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Heart-wrenching, beautiful stars

This book… where do I even begin. I’m going to begin with this:
I’m aware that this is a Star Wars novel, and oh my gosh! It has a love story! That is preposterous the whole series is going to shit!.... if you’re one of these people please stop reading this review because Star Wars has romance in it you just don't want to admit it

POINT A:

POINT B:

Yes I'm aware Anakin is annoying as shit in this movie but that's beside the point

Now that we have that cleared up,
Leeanna
Jul 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book, arcs, for-review
This review originally appeared on my blog, Leeanna.me.

==

I’ve been a fan of the Star Wars Expanded Universe books for years, but I never got into the comics or Star Wars: The Clone Wars. So I didn’t have a lot of knowledge on Asajj Ventress or Quinlan Vos that I had to ignore, now that the EU is considered “Legends.” After finishing DARK DISCIPLE, I did go to Wookiepedia and read about both characters; if you are a huge fan of either, be prepared. There's some definite changes.

DARK DISCIPLE was
Brandon St Mark
I’ve enjoyed this so much, both times I’ve read this book. I can’t believe I read it for the first time nearly five years ago (5!!!) but I have changed a lot since then. But this book is still really special to me. Asajj Ventress is my absolute most favorite Star Wars character and I really relate to her in this book. I really like the theme of letting your anger go, something that was also a major theme in the Rise of Skywalker (which, although flawed, I did enjoy). This is the best Star Wars b ...more
Milo
The review was originally posted here: http://thefictionalhangout.blogspot.c....

A LONG TIME AGO, IN A GALAXY FAR, FAR AWAY....
"Based on unproduced scripts from the blockbuster TV show Star Wars: The Clone Wars!

Geekritique
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Find this and many other reviews at Geekritique!

Dark Disciple, the fifth released new canon Star Wars novel for adults, is interestingly a continuation of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, an animated series for kids. In fact, this story arc comprises the stunning events of 8 finished scripts that never had the chance to make it into production before Disney shut down the project. I grew up on Star Wars, but was always a step too old to have ever had the opportunity to enjoy The Clone Wars show, which
D
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a refreshing take on the buddy arc! And to boot, a new author (for me) who has a knack for creating strong characters who I really found myself getting behind.

DD is set in the new (Disney) SW canon and takes place shortly after the Clone Wars animated TV series. In fact, DD is the novelization of a handful of episodes that never made it to air at the end of its run. Having watched the series a few years ago, I'm glad I came to read this book.

As to specifics, there's not much I can say here
Unseen Library
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating of 4.5.

For this week’s Throwback Thursday, I go back and check out an amazing piece of Star Wars fiction with Star Wars: Dark Disciple by tie-in fiction extraordinaire Christie Golden. Dark Disciple is a compelling and intense Star Wars novel that features two fan-favourite characters from the extended universe in a fantastic adventure that is deeply connected with The Clone Wars animated series.

A Jedi shall not know anger. Nor hatred. Nor love!

For years, the galaxy has been locked in one
Alexander Draganov
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
You know, I am kinda generous here and I understand the critics of the book. It is a love story, yes. It is melodramatic, sure. And plot in the end is quote chaotic, to put it mildly.
But it doesn't matter. It is a book with a heart. Christie Golden is a wonderful, wonderful author, I know it since "Vampire of the Mists", with which she launched the Ravenloft series. Here she excels again with the portrayal of Ventress and Quinlan and shows something which younger and more angsty authors Sarah J
Ivy
V.E.
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

One of the most interesting characters introduced in THE CLONE WARS series is Asajj Ventress, so when I found an entire novel about her in the SW canon, I one-clicked.

Ventress was a Bad Guy, the “apprentice” of Count Dooku (who couldn’t really have an apprentice b/c Rule of Two), but when she was betrayed by him, she went rogue. She returned to the planet of her birth Dathomir, home to the Night Sisters, an order of assassin witches.

You: Assassin witches!?

Me: I know, rig
Ashley
Okay so I have complicated feelings about this book. The first half I was all "STAR WARS AUDIOBOOKS ARE! SO! FUN!" And really, that still holds. They're so produced. They have all the official Star Wars music and sound effects, ambient noise, and voice actors. It's awesome. This one in particular was really effective because it sounded like some of the actual voice actors from The Clone Wars, which is nice because of this book being essentially unproduced episodes from that show.

I zoomed throug
Christopher
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Star Wars movies I-III were supposed to be about Anakin's rise and fall. About how a Jedi could be seduced by the dark side. Instead, we got a character arc that was basically "annoying teenager" to "mass child-killer" in an afternoon. We never get a good sense of how the dark side could possibly draw in a Jedi who wasn't an immature brat to start with.

Dark Disciple makes another attempt, though not with Anakin. It is the story of Jedi Master Vos partnering up with the ex-Sith Ventress, as they
Stephen Richter
Jul 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
Was part of the season that never was, a Star Wars Clone Wars unproduced script became this book. The audio was filed with sound effects which added to the pleasure. Part of the new canon, parts of the dialogue was hokey, but considering the age market the script was projected for I gave that a pass. Very dark for a Star Wars book.
Star Wars Book Club: Clone Wars 6 37 Aug 29, 2020 02:08PM
What did you think of ending (SPOILERS) 11 61 Jan 10, 2020 10:08AM
(SPOILERS) What did you think about Quinlan Vos and Asajj Ventress's romance? 3 19 Apr 12, 2019 09:45PM
Around the Year i...: Star Wars: Dark Disciple, by Christie Golden 1 12 May 13, 2016 10:43PM
Star Wars Book Club: Dark Disciple 4 14 Apr 19, 2016 02:29PM
Star Wars Book Club: Who's Ready for Book 3?! 1 12 Apr 01, 2016 05:10AM

• Lords of the Sith (Star Wars)
  • Ahsoka (Star Wars)
  • A New Dawn (Star Wars)
  • Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel (Star Wars)
  • Master and Apprentice (Star Wars)
  • Tarkin (Star Wars)
  • Dooku: Jedi Lost (Star Wars)
  • Queen's Shadow (Star Wars)
  • Lost Stars (Star Wars)
  • Thrawn (Star Wars: Thrawn, #1)
  • Queen's Peril (Star Wars)
  • Heir to the Jedi (Star Wars: Empire and Rebellion, #3)
  • Bloodline (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: Darth Maul - Son of Dathomir
  • Twilight Company (Star Wars: Battlefront, #1)
  • Aftermath (Star Wars: Aftermath, #1)
  • Rebel Rising (Star Wars)
  • Life Debt (Star Wars: Aftermath, #2)
Award-winning author Christie Golden has written over thirty novels and several short stories in the fields of science fiction, fantasy and horror. She has over a million books in print.

2009 will see no fewer than three novels published. First out in late April will be a World of Warcraft novel, Athas: Rise of the Lich King. This is the first Warcraft novel to appear in hardcover. Fans of the youn

Star Wars Disney Canon Novel (1 - 10 of 52 books)
  • Light of the Jedi (Star Wars: The High Republic)
  • Into the Dark (Star Wars: The High Republic)
  • Master and Apprentice (Star Wars)
  • Dooku: Jedi Lost (Star Wars)
  • Queen's Peril (Star Wars)
  • The Phantom Menace (Star Wars: Novelizations, #1)
  • Queen's Shadow (Star Wars)
  • Attack of the Clones (Star Wars: Novelizations, #2)
  • The Clone Wars (Star Wars: Novelizations, #2.1)
  • Chaos Rising (Star Wars: Thrawn Ascendancy, #1)

News & Interviews

“Remember…you always have a choice to be better. You always have a choice to…to pick the right path.” She smiled sadly. “Even if that choice comes a little late.” 18 likes
“Cheers the spirit, humor does, even at the darkest times.” 7 likes