Start by marking “Figs & Pomegranates & Special Cheeses: A Love Story” as Want to Read:

Figs & Pomegranates & Special Cheeses: A Love Story

Grow with Dara as she moves from a nomadic life to the heights of power and wealth with her husband Job. Share in the intimacy of her friendship with Adah, the excitement of her childhood betrothal, and the joy of her wedding to biblical Job. Live with her the beauty and threats of her desert environment. Suffer with her the anxiety of the choice forced on her by her husba ...more
Published August 25th 2014 (first published August 22nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Figs & Pomegranates & Special Cheeses, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Mona Because people pronounced "Job" as if it referred to paid occupations. Plus I left the PhD after my name, leading people to think it was either a…moreBecause people pronounced "Job" as if it referred to paid occupations. Plus I left the PhD after my name, leading people to think it was either a self-help book or a heavy tome.

More specifically, a publisher planned to publish it under a different title, edited it (again), had me remove it from my previous publisher, and then ran out of money, so Mrs. Job was without a publisher for about a year and a half until I re-covered and re-titled it as "Mrs. Job."(less)

Lulu
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
There are a few people who know the biblical story of Job. Aside from the fact that he lost everything, I think the most notorious part of his story was his wife telling him to "Curse God and die!"; other than that we know very little about her.

"Figs & Pomegranates & Special Cheeses" was phenomenal. The author took a lesser known, misunderstood biblical figure and gave her life. This story was well thought out and beautifully written.
Kirty Shakthawatt
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Figs & Pomegranates & Special Cheeses: A Love Story
The novel is a rendition of the Job and his biblical trials as told from Dara's (Mrs. Job's) viewpoint, namely, that of a woman living in a patriarchal world. Story embarks when Dara goes down the memory lane, enriched with the hues of love, friendship and faith.
The mystic and extramundane world of nomads created by the author is an interesting backdrop.
Dara grows up with her childhood friend Adah, living like nomads, going through all
Shreya Agarwal
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think it was in standard 4 that i had for the very first time read about a group of people living in the arabian deserts called nomads. Ever since then i have been really curious to know what kinda life must such people lead, having to move around on a regular basis for food & water, what religion must they follow, which god do they pray to, what kinda food do they eat and what kinda social life do they enjoy. Finally, all my questions have been answered. This book has satiated my curiosit ...more
Becky Zales
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: booktasters
An interesting story by Mona Gustafson Affinito. Definitely enjoyed reading a story about Job but from the fictional perspective of his wife Dara. After seeing Job's affliction, Dara may have been confused to see her husband continue to worship God. She tells Job to "curse your god and die" which seems to make her a bad person, for possibly believing they have been abandoned by God. This poignant story helps one to reflect on what it must have been like to be Mrs. Job.
The story presents the cha
Beverly Clyde
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Job’s wife is known for one quotation – “Do you still hold fast to your integrity? Curse God and die!” (Job 2:9, NKJ) This book tells us the story of Dara, Job’s wife, from her childhood until late in her life. Her marriage is arranged, but it grows into a love match. Their nomadic lifestyle is depicted in all its ordinariness and glory. Children and success grace their lives until that fateful day when their children die and their fortune vanishes. Then Job becomes ill and Dara must care for hi ...more
MWBP
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
First Lady – A review of the novel ‘Figs & Pomegranates & Special Cheeses’

“If the married life possess love and virtue, these will be both its duty and reward” – Thiruvalluvar

Author Mona Gustafson Affinito’s latest book ‘Figs & Pomegranates & Special Cheeses: A Love Story’ retells the story of biblical Job from the point of view of his wife. Enter a mystical and exotic land of great happenings as Mrs. Job a.k.a. Dara takes you behind the scenes in a unique first person narrative.
Barbara Kellam-scott
I have a lot of wishes for this book, which fills in the love story between the biblical Job and his wife. Most of all, I hope it might attract a traditional publisher, who will strengthen the many great parts and maybe help Affinito let go of the parts that try too hard to follow the canonical story.

The modern-fictional part of this telling is the best part and takes up more than half the book.We don’t get to the losses and the friends, and the whirlwind and the recovery, until Chapter 11 of 14
Shraesta
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Main protagonist of the book Dara,just grabs my heart with her innocence, love,and attitude.This story captivates your hand and heart not allowing you to keep down your device.Every women must read story which plots about family,friendship,husband,children's,in laws,society, maids who plays a vital role in one's life.I just wanna thank the author M.G.Affinito for her style of writing and vivid descriptions.I could feel and see them in my mind's eyes and appreciate the beauty.The banter between c ...more
Maria Rivas-mc
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"I knew as well, beyond any doubt, that my grief would always lay heavy on my body. Understanding and discerning can help, but the loss of all one’s children leaves an empty hole behind that will forever ache with a hunger for their presence."
Beautiful language. I loved reading this book from beginning to end, including ‘the story of the story’! It’s short and ever so easy to read. The characters were alive in my mind; set in another time and place, with different expectations; yet their hearts
Shefali
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read Figs & Pomegranates & Special Cheeses a few days ago and I'd like to express my gratitude to Ms. Affinito for a wonderful read about Job and the trials of his wife Dara. I loved the idea of portraying the emotional and psychological growth of Dara. We see her grow up with Adah, her best friend, and following this is an emotional ride of engagement, marriage and tribulations.
Never for a minute could I put down the book as I was so immensely engrossed in the vivid portrayal of the l
Kelly Tarr
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow! What a great book! From the title, I was a little apprehensive because it didn't seem to describe a book I'd like to read. I was captivated from the beginning, I loved the main character Dar. She was strong and aware and thoughtful and faithful as well as a good friend, wife and mother. I love the story of Job and this story was a nice addition to the things about Job I already knew. I would have liked to know more about Job and Dar's children, their personalities and interests.
I think Mon
Jonathan Ford
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A beautifully written work

I absolutely loved this book and it was a true pleasure to read. The language and style of the writing are so warm and descriptive that the reader feels as if they are there along with Dar and Job and the other inviting characters. I thoroughly recommend this book to anyone who wishes to lose themselves in a beautiful, atmospheric and thought provoking work of historical fiction.
Marina
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Five Reasons to Love this book

1. Relive the biblical story of Job through his fictional wife's point of view.
2. Learn more about the historical time and setting of the Old Testament way of life.
3. The heroine, Dara, is wonderful and aware and strong and I easily made a connection with her.
4. Add to your knowledge of Job and the author's journey writing about Job and Dara at the postscript.
5. The book is simply well-written.

THE END
Deidre Paige
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it
It was well written, pretty fast paced, which I didn't mind - I enjoyed it for the most part, but the lack of dialogue between characters bothered me a bit.
The story kept me interested though, it kept me reading and wanting to find out what happened next, which is always a great accomplishment for an author, so good job, Mona :)
eric dyer
elizabeth long
Sep 27, 2014
Ella
Sep 16, 2017 added it
*** I received this book in exchange for an honest review***

Figs & Pomegranates & Special Cheeses by Mona Gustafson Affinito portrays the life of Job's wife Dara. Her childhood, her adolescence, and adulthood. For me, this was a refreshing look into the way women, men, and children lived during that time. I love historical fiction that can show how people lived and what it meant to them. Affinito has done just that without being overbearing or condescending. Over the years I have tried
R.J. Groves
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Figs & Pomegranates & Special Cheeses tells a story about Job's wife, following her life as a child through to Job's death. It was interesting to read this take on Job and his suffering from Dara's perspective and I found it a worthwhile read. Unfortunately, I found that the story perhaps went too far back (as a child) and took a long time to actually get to Dara and Job's life together. Mona's descriptions are vivid and enthralling, but I felt like there was a real shortage of dialogue. ...more
Pat Hale
Jul 14, 2015
Courtney Thomas
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Figs & Pomegranates & Special Cheeses: A Love Story" is a beautiful novel unlike anything I've read before. I am a spiritual person as well as a lover of literature, and I have a special appreciation for the rich literary elements of Biblical narratives. I was immediately intrigued by the premise of this work, yet I didn't know quite what to expect from this particular vantage point of the trials of Job. In retrospect, I don't think I could have imagined just how rich and moving Dara's ...more
Kerstin Vollbrecht
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful book about love, friendship(a different manifestation of love), spiritual and personal growth, told by means of the story of Dara and Job. The book starts with Dara's childhood in a nomad tribe, where she is raised with the values of respect, self-consciousness and the acknowledgement of the Other. The story is told as if one is reading a diary of her life, including her reflections about the occurring events and about how things just are.
Although I'm not inclined to the bibl
Er