Start by marking “Runaway (Camryn Cruise #1)” as Want to Read:
Runaway (Camryn Cruise #1)

Runaway (Camryn Cruise #1)

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  28 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Camryn Cruise is not human. But she doesn’t know what she is. Not yet.

The world is falling apart and her only escape is Camp Silverlake where she frequently stayed as a child. But Camryn’s summers weren’t filled with crafting and swimming, they were spent learning combat skills and how to protect herself from the outside world.

Now she must return to Camp Silverlake to lear
41 pages
Published 2014

To ask other readers questions about Runaway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runaway

C.C. Faye
Jan 04, 2015 C.C. Faye rated it did not like it
I received a copy of this book through some free giveaway, from a group in goodreads.

I put the book down, because there were already grammatical errors on the starting chapter.
The plot of the story is wobbly, like it needs to be edited more.
There were conversations between the main character and her best friend that were too confusing. And they keep repeating phone, as if it was their topic.
There was no character development.
And the story is plainly rushed. Poorly constructed.

Kelly
Oct 28, 2014 Kelly rated it it was ok

Considering the lenght of this short novella (41 pages), I don't have a lot to say about it. I wasn't aware it was a book about humans turning into zombies because of a dangerous virus. I enjoy some books in that same genre (the Flesh series for example) but here it was really fast and there wasn't much of a world building (except for her parents who told her what was going on) and it felt like things where coming from nowhere (unrealistic). The idea of going to a camp faraway from the
Tammy
Brina Courtney has some good ideas. Every time I see one of her books and read the description I think "that's cool, I'd really like to read that." The problem comes in Courtney's writing. Not her writing style, because that's fine, but in the way she skims the top of the tale. She writes as if she's telling a story to someone. This happened, then that happened, then that. And that's great for verbally telling your friends what happened. But in a book, I want description; I want atmosphere.

I th
Kelly Smith Reviews
Oct 20, 2014 Kelly Smith Reviews rated it it was amazing
Camryn Cruise is a normal, seventeen year-old girl in the upper-middle-class. She and her best friend Kiley's biggest worries are homecoming dresses.
Until one day Camryn's parents sit her down and tell her a secret: a disease has broken out, and it's catching...fast. They send her and Kiley to a secret camp to survive the disease and fight to Keri the human race alive.
But there's a secret even bigger than this disease. And it will change Camryn's life perspective forever.

With Ebola around now,
Rivalie (Forever Obsession)
*I was sent a copy for review, my thoughts are completely my own*

I actually had no idea that Runaway was going to be a zombie book. As many people know, I'm not a huge fan of zombie books, they just don't work with me. However, this one was okay, I liked it, but not a lot. It was the zombie factor, I'm sorry I just can't get into zombies. But my dislike for zombies aside, this book was pretty cool. In the short amount of pages that is in this book, we learn the history of how the virus came to b
Nicole
Oct 24, 2014 Nicole rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

A virulent outbreak of a deadly virus forces Camryn and her best friend to seek security at the survival camp Camryn attended as a child. First, this was a ten minute read for me, and I was surprised how very quickly it ended. It is the first part of a series, and it was really too small of a sample for me to judge exactly how good the rest of the series is going to be. The concept was interesting, and there is alway
Declarations of a Fangirl
Oct 23, 2014 Declarations of a Fangirl rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, kindle
*I was given a copy in exchange for my honest review.*

Well that ended far too quickly! Runaway is a short novella, coming in at only about 30 pages, but it is jam-packed with action. From the very beginning it grabbed my attention.

I rubbed my neck for the third time since I sat down in the wooden chair. I thumbed through the
pages again, still not focused on the words. I felt a presence, like someone was watching me, but when I
looked behind me I didn’t see anyone.

Camryn is an only child from an
Jessica Bronder
Oct 20, 2014 Jessica Bronder rated it it was amazing
It’s starts as a typical night as Camryn spends time with her best friend Kiley. But they have this creepy feeling that they are being watched. Then on the way home they see cars abandoned by the side of the road and little traffic.

When Camryn gets home she gets a huge surprise. A disease from Africa called Tilerrea has now become a pandemic. The illness is transferred through touch and once contaminated; the person has no chance of recovery. Camryn has to take Kiley and go to the summer camp S
Vera
Oct 31, 2014 Vera rated it it was amazing
Camryn Cruise is a normal seventeen years-old girl. She lives with her parents and goes to school like any other seventeen years-old kid. Until one day everything changes.
She has this strange feeling that she is being watched while she’s with her friend Riley. When she gets home, everything falls apart: her parents tell her that a horrible disease, that has no cure, is spreading fast and they want her to go to Silverlake, the summer camp she used to go. She leaves for Silverlake that same night
Karyn
Oct 20, 2014 Karyn rated it it was amazing
***I received a free copy of this book in return for an honest review***

I had been seeing a lot of hype about this and was so excited when I was given the opportunity to review it. This is a novella so it is only 41 pages long but when I finished it, I realized that I had no idea when the next book comes out but I want it NOW!

In just a short time, the author is able to set up the story about Courtney and why she is being forced to run away. The story is very intense but leaves a lot of mystery a
Tia
* I was given this book for an honest review and all enclosed in this review are purely my opinion.*

I would love to so that this is an awesome virus/zombie outbreak book, but I can only say it's good not incredible. The idea of a zombie outbreak due to a virus isn't a new concept, but the idea that there are some super teens out there that can fix the problem is. Camryn is told to head to Camp Silverlake where she spent her summers, which actually turns out to be a training facility for the gene
Ashley
Nov 15, 2014 Ashley rated it did not like it
Even for a novella this was pretty short, and things happened crazy fast. There wasn't enough world building or depth to the characters to make me care what was happening. The thing that bothered me most was the writing style. It was very disconnected and juvenile. Honestly it reminded me of the Sweet Valley Kids book I've been reading to my kids. I don't think I'll be looking for the sequel. I do love the cover though.

*An ARC was provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Jessica
Oct 28, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this novella from netgalley for an honest review. I was a little scared of this since it was so short- I was convinced there wouldn't be any way to pull this off but the author did a great job. There was great character development in the 40-ish pages that were written. The dialogue was very believable as was the events as they unfolded, I also enjoyed how a old idea was changed a bit to make a whole new story! I'm excited for the next one.
Kelly Mccurdy
Nov 28, 2014 Kelly Mccurdy rated it it was amazing
~~I received this in exchange for an honest review~~

MAN I COULDN'T PUT THIS BOOK DOWN AT ALL. Sorry for the yelling, but man, I really can't wait until the second book comes out. With everything that is going on out in the real world, this book kind of hits a little close to home. What would you do if you and your best friend were sent away in order to save your life? I know that I would be pretty upset that I couldn't take my entire family. But, Camryn is made for this. She knows what she has
Kitty (zetta)  for D&SBookBlog
Oct 19, 2014 Kitty (zetta) for D&SBookBlog rated it really liked it
I was asked to read for honest review. Well my honest review is that it grabbed me right away. I don't like the way it ended though. It has a major cliff hanger. I think the book should be more than 31 pages long and I'm not sure if when you buy the book if the print will be like the copy I got but you have words that are regular print than the other part of word is bold. That was a little distracting but all in all a good book.
Melissa
Nov 11, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
This book is a unique take on the zombie craze. I enjoyed every page and am excited for book two. Anyone who knows me knows that means it's a great zombie tale, since I usually don't enjoy them. The authors talented and unique style makes for great characters, as well as storyline.
Max
Jan 03, 2015 Max rated it did not like it
Review copy received through NetGalley.
An interesting idea that really merits fuller treatment than a novella can give. But I'm kicking it down to one star because of the description of an Asian character's "slanted eyes." WTF racism.
Caro
Feb 02, 2015 Caro rated it really liked it
It was a very fast read, so I was just starting to get the characters, when the story finish, but it seems interesting, it has a good description of the epidemia and the government control. I really like it the cliff at the end. It was a really short reading, so it left everything in pending. I wish I can expand myself in the review, but that will be trying to put a summary of the book. I just want to know what is next to see how the story develops... The other books that I have read of Brina Co ...more
Kim O'Daniel
Dec 26, 2014 Kim O'Daniel rated it it was amazing
Brina Courtney sure knows how to write a phenomenal story.
This book may be a quick read, but oh it was so dam good.
If your into zombie stories, you will love this. Now this is
Not typically a zombie story but it is very close. The exception
Is there may actually be a cure for it. There is even an origin
for were the disease comes from, and a name for it.
There is one mor twist to this story our heroin my not even
be human. This is one frightening read, so I recommend not reading
it at bed time. Do
Jo Evans
Oct 19, 2014 Jo Evans rated it really liked it
review to follow....
Csimplot
Csimplot marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Priyanka Patel
Priyanka Patel marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2015
Doreen Potter
Doreen Potter marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Montana
Montana rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2015
Willow
Willow marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
May 28, 2015
Lucinda
Lucinda rated it liked it
May 18, 2015
Shie Shie
Shie Shie marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Brina Courtney is a young adult author obsessed with chocolate, crime shows, and fantasy movies. She's spent the last few years as an elementary teacher and a high school cheering coach. She lives in a small town in Pennsylvania with her husband and two very loud, small dogs.

More about Brina Courtney...

Camryn Cruise (2 books)
  • Fight On (Camryn Cruise, #2)