Start by marking “Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus: Practical Guide for Improving Communication” as Want to Read:

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  146,623 ratings  ·  5,084 reviews
The most well-know, long-lived, and tried-and-tested relationships guide ever, the phenomenal #1 New York Times bestseller Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus is now available for the first time ever as an ebook. In this classic guide to understanding the opposite sex, Dr. John Gray provides a practical and proven way for men and women to improve their communication by ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1992)

·  146,623 ratings  ·  5,084 reviews

Rachel
Sep 24, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My biggest problem with the book is that it is extremely sexist. The book continually explains that this is just how men are, and then goes on to explain how women can learn to deal with that. Biggest load of crap ever. While some people will certainly fall into these stereotypes, I believe this book may cause more harm than good.

Some of the sexist highlights:
-a woman should go shopping when her man decides that he needs alone time (this is how she can show him her love and trust) {apparently w
Mephistia
There are some books that you hear about and you hear about and you hear about, and eventually you think, "Hmmm, maybe I ought to read that. It's had a huge cultural impact on our society, it might be a good idea to be in on that."

Kind of like seeing Stars Wars, E.T. and the Godfather Trilogy (I still haven't seen E.T. or the Godfather Trilogy, but I hear they're both great). It's just a big cultural thing, you know?

With books, there are a few that everyone needs to know. There are the obvious o
Benjamin Crawford
Aug 23, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Virgins
Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, and John Gray is from far, far further out in the solar system...

My broad-stroke perspective on this book is that I am inherently skeptical when someone purports to reduce human behavior to simplistic, read-about-it-on-the-subway categories, gender-specific behavior in particular. Resorting to simple explanations for that which is scary -- and I think it's safe to say that romantic partnerships can be scary, because vulnerability is involved, after all --
Jillian
Jun 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-2008
This book saved me from killing my boyfriend. :)
Traveller
Mar 07, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Idiotic sexist drivel. Catch a rocket back to Mars, Dr Gray.
Spider the Doof Warrior
I always thought human beings were individual people with individual likes and dislikes that do not relate to their genitals.
Apparently I am wrong. Men and women are actually from different planets! We're alien species! Sure we can have babies together, but we are totally different. Women like to shop because they come from a planet full of shopping centers.
Men like to fix things and play sports because that's all they did on their planet.
Now if we would just remember that we are two different a
Amrita
Dec 25, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dumb asses who want to be MISLED!
UTTER ROT!!!
The book shows men as creatures with very fragile egos and women as over sensitive.
Men & women communicate differently, maybe, but some of the "theories" are really wrong.

Like women talk problems for your empathy or sympathy, for the sake of talking it out and that they are not looking for a solution. Then, talking wouldn't make sense would it?

Like men hate being told how to fix the fuacet, or how to find the way...

This book has OUT-Dated views. I regreted reading it!
Eddie Black
Jan 07, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is not psychology. This is not even close to be science. I had to read this horrible book in the past (my partner liked it) and I kept thinking to myself that a lot of the stuff in the book was just too convenient, too stereotypical, to easy. Doing a little research found that the school that gave th author his Ph.D. was done away with and that several states (California, Oregon...) will not recognize the titles that the "school" gave out.

I don't like bashing people on ideas, but I hate to
Miyo
Jan 02, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
what a load of crap. my friend gave me this book after trying to salvage his marriage, told me it was really insightful. He got a divorce within a year.
Jun 20, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I decided to read this book because I'm a Dave Ramsey fan and it was one of the books on his recommended reading. I've been married for 10 years, but I figured it couldn't hurt to learn to communicate a little better. I'm not sure this book helped any. It's written with the assumption that all men are alike and all women are alike and that most of them have a "traditional" marriage or relationship. There is something sexist in the author's tone. He paints the women as the homemakers with a love ...more
Katie
Aug 29, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was insulting and biased. Written from an unapologetically male perspective, it attempts to lump men and women into desired roles. The man can leave anytime he wants, and the woman, to show her love and trust (read: naivety), should go shopping. Yes, that's what his argument boils down to. I am all for acceptance, but when there are real issues that need to be dealt with, they are not fixed by saying, "Oh, that's just what men do." The "wave" section was particularly enraging as an att ...more
Aj the Ravenous Reader
This is a very helpful and informative book about the million differences between men and women. It's also entertaining and it brought my perception of the opposite sex in an entirely different but more positive way. This is a very helpful book to everyone especially those who find it hard to keep relationships because of misunderstanding their partners.
Stela
Love: User's Manual

Do you remember the bunch of books Bridget Jones used to carry about in order to make sense of her weird and chaotic life? One of them was just this one, Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus, and because of its longish and kinda stupidish, funnyish title, I assumed, when I saw the movie, it was merely an amusing invention to go with the giddy thirtish female character (as you see I’ve just discovered magic of the “-ish” suffix in the economy of the text).

So imagine my su
Esmoi
Dec 17, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: siberia, non-fiction
Utterly unhelpful for those of us who do not fit the stereotypical personalities associated with our genders. I'm a Myers-Briggs INTJ. I like to retreat to my cave. Maybe, according to Gray's beliefs, this means I must also have a deeply hidden penis?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not some old-school feminist believer in the blank slate brain. This book is just arrogant and sloppy in its long-shot generalizations. In summary: Grok like boink woman, watch football, make fire. No talky-feewings. Grokina
G.L. Morrison
Sep 29, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is such crap -it includes justifications for date rape and recommends that the woman just "let her husband do it" even when she's not into it. His argument being how long is a quickie anyway. Put out to get along is this marriage counselor's advice. Without the slightest concern to the impact this may have on her libido, boundaries, or esteem for the man who doesn't care if she's into it as long as he gets some.
FUCK are you serious? The layers of hostility that John Gray has to women a
Kecia
Jun 27, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: men and women
When I was in college a priest came to our all girls dorm to talk about guys. Not sure why it was a priest but oh well. Anyway in a nutshell he told us that women thought about the world in a subjective manner and men thouhgt about the world in an objective manner. He said if you ask a man what he's thinking and he says, "nothing" he really is thinking about nothing, which is incomprehensible to women who are thinking about everything. At 20 years old this was mind-blowing stuff.

Then along came
Melissa
Jan 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alright. So I didn't post this book when I first signed up on this website, maybe because I was embarrassed and I didn't want everybody to know I had read it. OR maybe I was trying to keep all of its insightful secrets to myself. This is hands down one of the most amazing books I've ever read about relating to the opposite sex. Shocking, I know. But truly. Girls in relationships, are you frustrated?? Do you feel misunderstood? Do you wish your guys did this this and this and you wish he would ju ...more
Merihan Al Fiqi
John Gray is an American author on relationships and personal growth, best known for his 1992 book Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus, and other "pop psychology" books offering relationship advice.
Ben Babcock
Wow, this one was rough. I had to borrow the audiobook version from my library/Hoopla because that was the only format available, and it is the abridged audio edition. I normally avoid abridged editions. What’s the point in missing out on a bunch of the book? In the case of Men are From Mars, Women are From Venus, however, I think I’ll make an exception. This is just a terrible, even actively harmful book, and judging from the Banging Book Club video where they talk about things that weren’t pre ...more
Nissy
Sep 07, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bad-choices
am i the only one who found this book extremely sexist ?! why would a woman find this book helpful ?!
sanaz
Apr 08, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: etc
I just read about 10- 20 frist pages. then I couldn't continue it. I mean how cheap!!! I can not understand this way of writing! but mybe something is wrong with me. lots of my friends read it and suggest me too do so... Sorry
Sheziss
Mar 30, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish, essay
Why did I ever try to read this?

I was young and stupid.
Fotooh Jarkas
I just finished reading this book , actually I used to read it twice to get all the ideas included .
it's strange to find someone who knows about yourself more than you do !! , so in the same way I think it can tell about others too ..
you will learn how to change your good intentions into actions , so it will save you from repeating bad scenarios .
and all in a very simple and clear form
I Love this book and recommend it to everybody :)
Farhan Khalid
Fortunately perfection is not a requirement for creating great relationships

Gender insight helps us to be more tolerant and forgiving

Men often need to go to their cave to recharge from the day

Women generally have a greater need to share feelings as a way of coping with stress

Men complain, "she is over-reacting", women complain, "he doesn’t listen"

I started to realize the true meaning of love -- unconditional love

I didn’t know that touching, holding, and listening were so important to her

It is n
Jonathan-David Jackson
This is a decent book, with some decent advice. I think a lot of the other reviewers would probably have enjoyed it more if they hadn't felt "I can't believe the author thinks all women/men are like X, I'm not like that at all!" There's no reason to feel that way (sorry if you're a woman, btw, since men aren't supposed to say why you shouldn't feel a certain way), because the author mentions several times that the things he say about one sex can just as easily apply to the other sex, or that it ...more
Nguyen Linh Chi
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A relationship bible. Must get a Vietnamese-translated version for my parents as well.

Takeaways:

- Men want appreciation, admiration, trust and acceptance.

- When your man turns away, just do something you like (reading, exercising, etc.) and let him be alone.

- Don't ask rhetoric questions. Try to be more supportive, eg. "I do not like your coming home late without calling me. Next time when you hang out with your colleagues, call me in advance".

- Set clear personal boundaries.

- When you are resen
Jennifer Jacobs
One of my all time fav book :-)
As a mental health enthusiast,this book has engaged me for hours and days as I have read it like 5 times!!
Some argue that many observations about both men and women in this book are too simplistic and lack nuance.That books like this enforce stereotypes both - ve and + ve about men and women,while that may be true,this book is like a cult favorite and a real groundbreaking one at that!It has initiated a debate in public discourse about how men and women think diffe
Syndi
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ah how i remember this book. I found it during a night browsing at a bookstore. At that time I am like so many young adult is obsess understanding the opposite sex. How they think and how to communicate with them without causing misunderstanding.

Until now, the content of this book is relevant. Thank you John Gray.
Olivia "Don't Blame Me I Voted for Hillary"
Author's take on this subject is interesting.
Renata
dumb, damaging, gender essentialist nonsense

Sex Communication: Find out to Chat Dirty 1 6 Apr 24, 2019 10:47PM
The Worst Bestsel...: Episode 90 - Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus 1 33 Jan 16, 2018 09:16AM
http://musclebuildingbuy.com/priamax/ 1 4 Feb 26, 2017 09:35PM
men are not from mars and gender division is fatal 46 185 Jul 28, 2016 12:01PM
The perfect man 15 152 Feb 16, 2016 11:22AM

• Why Men Don't Listen and Women Can't Read Maps: How We're Different and What to Do About It
  • 1001 Ways to Be Romantic: Author's Annotated Edition
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff in Love: Simple Ways to Nurture and Strengthen Your Relationships While Avoiding the Habits That Break Down Your Loving Connection
  • المخ: ذكر أم أنثى؟
  • ملكوت الواقع: ممهدات وحوافز قبل الانطلاق (كيمياء الصلاة #2)
  • كتاب مالوش اسم
  • أسعد امرأة في العالم
  • Why Men Love Bitches
  • كيف تخطط لحياتك
  • Kokology: The Game of Self-Discovery

He was previously married to fellow self-help author Barbara De Angelis, but they divorced in 1984. He is now m
“When a man can listen to a woman's feelings without getting angry and frustrated, he gives her a wonderful gift.
He makes it safe for her to express herself.
The more she is able to express herself, the more she feels heard and understood, and the more she is able to give a man the loving trust, acceptance, appreciation, admiration, approval, and encouragement that he needs.”
486 likes
“Men are motivated when they feel needed while women are motivated when they feel cherished.” 265 likes