Start by marking “A Study in Charlotte (Charlotte Holmes, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Study in Charlotte (Charlotte Holmes, #1)

A Study in Charlotte

(Charlotte Holmes #1)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  32,011 ratings  ·  5,587 reviews
The last thing Jamie Watson wants is a rugby scholarship to Sherringford, a Connecticut prep school just an hour away from his estranged father. But that’s not the only complication: Sherringford is also home to Charlotte Holmes, the famous detective’s great-great-great-granddaughter, who has inherited not only Sherlock’s genius but also his volatile temperament. From ever ...more
Published March 1st 2016 by Katherine Tegen Books

YA Novels of 2016
1,119 books — 9,695 voters
Empire of Storms by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. MaasLady Midnight by Cassandra ClareThe Raven King by Maggie StiefvaterGlass Sword by Victoria Aveyard
Can't Wait Books of 2016
1,313 books — 6,922 voters

More lists with this book...

·  32,011 ratings  ·  5,587 reviews

Emily May
Dec 04, 2015 rated it liked it
2 1/2 stars. This was fun in parts, but it really didn't do for me what it seems to be doing for a lot of readers and critics.

A Study in Charlotte follows the descendants of Sherlock Holmes and John Watson as they solve crimes on a modern-day college campus. In this story, both Sherlock and Watson were real people and Arthur Cona
Emma Giordano
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have to say, this book really took me by surprise! I knew as soon as I heard about a YA-Sherlock Holmes retelling that I would take well to this story, but I was not prepared for how much I loved it!

CW: murder, talk of rape, substance abuse

A Study in Charlotte is a truly fun and entertaining young adult mystery novel with a fabulous first installment. The plot was engaging, well-written, and unexpected. I especially enjoyed how the author weaved in actual tales of Sherlock Holmes as a way
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
This was tons of fun! I’m a Sherlock fan, but not a super fan by any means. I’ve watched the BBC show and know the basics about the story but I’ve never actually read Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s tales (though I plan to!) So with my knowledge of Sherlock in mind, I thought this was an excellent tribute. Watson was just as I’d imagine him, and Sherlock was fascinating, as per usual. Together the pair made an incredible power couple. This has some hints of romance that I thought would annoy me but I a ...more
Melanie

“I felt like I was being pulled through a dark, dank wardrobe into some boozy Narnia.”

This was the most unexpected treat! I thought that I might enjoy this one, but I never expected to fall completely head over heels for it, especially after reading A Study in Scarlet the night before starting this! This is a reimagining of Sherlock and Watson, but told in the perspective of their descendants, Charlotte and Jamie, in modern day! And, oh my gosh, this was just fantastic!

Jamie Watson recently left the UK to
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was a rip-roarin’ good time! Not at all what I was expecting but it was definitely v enjoyable. Also I am a fan of Charlotte’s big dick energy. Such fun!
may ❀
Full review posted

My heart has been needing this book for longer than I realized I needed this book.

- THIS. BOOK. IS. BLOODY. BRILLIANT. For a number of reasons
- Aside from the fact that I read this book in less than a day and that I physically could NOT stop reading it, this book is the murder mystery you’ve always needed
- You got a snarky know-it-all girl
- You got a nerdy precious boy
- WHO ARE DECENSANTS OF SHERLOCK AND WATSON I MEAN GOALS ANYONE????
- So
megs_bookrack
When James 'Jamie' Watson gets shipped off to boarding school in Connecticut, he is sad about leaving his life in London behind. After arriving though, he quickly finds himself elbows deep in intrigue and thinking nothing about 'shoddy ole' London.

In an alarming twist of fate, Charlotte Holmes, the descendant of the infamous Sherlock Holmes, also attends this very same boarding school.

Coincidence?
I think not.

Coincidence?
I think not.

Jamie, the descendant of John Watson, the very one who penned those cute little Sherlock Holmes tales, has heard all about Charlotte and wants nothing more than to get into her good graces. In the flesh, Charlotte is beautiful, edgy and addicted to opiates.

He wants to get to know her better.

Before long they are seeing each other on a regular basis and Charlotte seems to be warming to him. This is made especially significant by the fact that she's not particularly warm with anyone.

After a fellow student, one that Charlotte has a very horrifying encounter with, ends up dead and another on the brink of death, the duo must work together to prove they are innocent of these crimes. They are being framed and in ways reminiscent of cases the original Sherlock and Holmes investigated.

This was a pretty good story. There was nothing bad about it but it never really reached a level where I was attached or intrigued by it.

I read it. It happened, then it was over and I moved on very quickly. I guess I was hoping for a little more, if I am being honest. I'm not sure if I will continue on with the series. I may read the synopsis of the next one and some of the reviews to see if anyone liked it better than this one.

For now, if I had to choose a YA Mystery series to continue with it would be the Stalking Jack the Ripper series over this one, as I just finished the first one in that series in October.
chan ☆
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
oxy addicted female sherlock holmes & a soft hipster watson

this was fun and dark and twisted. everything that one could ever want from a sherlock story, right? i'm not sure what i was expecting but i don't think it was this. i guess i assumed since it would be a retelling that it would be a little lighter and more fun.

but i didn't laugh a lot. i did feel things though.

first off, the characters were great. watson was easy to read, probably because he was narrating.
Malanie
“““I began wondering if there was some kind of Watsonian guide for the care and keeping of Holmeses.””

★★★★⭐

It seems that February is going to me that month where I read novels that deserve more popularity and adoration, because this book was freaking fantastic. It’s a Sherlock & Watson retelling!!!!! WHICH MEANS FRIENDSHIP??????? AND EXASPERATED FONDNESS????????? I cannot protect myself from the stranger-best friends- maybe lovers trope. I'M DEFENSELESS

✨What is this book about?✨

W/>
Trina (Between Chapters)
I'm crying that I finished this already and the next book isn't in at my library yet.

Fast paced, hooked me right off the bat. I appreciate books that jump right into the thick of things, especially mysteries.

Audio review: The narration was very good but I will admit that the mystery lost me a little and I would have probably preferred the print format to be able to flip around and put everything together better.

tw: addiction, rape, murder, poison, bombing on a school campus/>Audio
Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
Quick-Fire Review: I don't know what's more alluring, the cover or the synopsis. I especially admired the book's ties to the Sherlock Holmes mysteries and was wildly impressed by how fluid and natural the connections were between the two. This book balances the line between paying homage to Holmes mysteries and also being fresh and original. A Study in Charlotte brings a thrilling plot, spot-on characterization, whip-smart writing, and a puzzling mystery that will keep you guessing until the ver ...more
˗ˏˋliaˎˊ˗
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
“i don’t need someone to fight for me. i can fight for myself.”

a sherlock holmes ya retelling? oof, count me in. as i love the bbc sherlock tv show and i’ve been craving rewatching it for the past few days, i knew this was the right time to read this one. and that was absolutely correct. i almost would’ve finished it within 24 hours since i only had about 20 pages left last night, but i was really exhausted and i didn’t want to rush it because i had enjoyed it so incredibly much thus far and t
Erin
I first have start off by stating that I have never read any Sherlock Holmes books, I've never seen a Sherlock Holmes movie, and I've never seen any of the tv shows about Sherlock Holmes. I don't really know all that much about Sherlock Holmes at all.

I liked A Study In Charlotte but I don't know if I would have liked it more or less had I not gone into this book almost completely blind of the history. This book has been sitting on my shelf for ages and I don't even know where it came from. I do
Ashwood (애쉬 우드).
Good but not great. Really big fan of Sherlock Holmes, so I was super excited to read this book. It was interesting and not a bad read but it didn't necessarily blow me away. Soo yup, sticking with 3 stars on this one.
Paige  Bookdragon

I'm a fan of Sherlock Holmes, so when I saw this book is about the descendants of Sherly and Johnny, I know I have to read it because...

description

First of all, I went into this book with an expectation of murder, mystery and purely platonic relationship between the main characters. Despite shipping BBC's Sherlock and John (because how can you not ship Benedict and Martin?), I still love the relationship between the original Sherlock and Watson.

They have the best friendship ever and I was hoping that the author will retain th
Bridget Hodder
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
I was well and truly Sherlocked before picking up this book--which I did with both hope and trepidation. You see, those of us who love the Sherlock world always want more. And there's a limited supply. Or, to qualify that statement: a limited supply of quality additions to the oeuvre. (Do you like that word, "oeuvre"? I hope so. I feel it is a very Sherlock word.)

I'll cut to the verdict: YES!!! PARTY AT 221-B!

Because Sherlock is back-- in female form, with a totally empathetic, very
Nastassja
Dec 14, 2015 marked it as did-not-finish

DNF at about 50%

*This review contains spoilers*

I am going to lay this book aside for now. Maybe it has to do with me finishing The Winner's Kiss recently, which made me a mess and in no shape for reading anything else. At least partly The Winner's kiss is to blame, but mostly I am disappointed with A study in Charlotte, because it started like such a promising light funny read and then turned - abruptly - into something dark with serious issues, which weren't handled properly in my opinion.

What I liked about this books is that we ha

Sara (sarawithoutanH)
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
So I enjoyed this way more than I thought I would. It reminded me a lot of the sort of books I enjoyed when I was younger and gave me a BBC Sherlock meets Veronica Mars sort of vibe. The writing style also pleasantly surprised me because I expected it to be a lot more elementary than it was. I really liked both Charlotte and Jamie as characters. The only thing I found a bit cheesy was the whole being related to the original Sherlock and Holmes; it was a little too "Disney Descendants" for me. Ot ...more
Tatiana
Well, this was utterly ridiculous as far as mysteries go.

And also ham-handed in its handling of both rape and drug use.
Maureen
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book SO much! It's kind a Sherlock reboot in staring a female Sherlock and I really loved how she and Jamie ended up working together to solve the CRIME!
I also really loved the dynamic between Jamie and Charlotte, their dialogue was always on point and their relationship was just complicated enough to be intriguing and interesting without being annoying.
Can't wait to finish the rest of the series!
~ Althea | themoonwholistens ~  ☾
“I’d prefer to think... that we aren’t all so mercilessly bound to our pasts.”

FORMAT READ: Audiobook
SIMILAR VIBES: The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue
READ FOR: a Sherlock Holmes spin-off
READING LEVEL: Level 1-3 out of 5

⇒ MY BLOG ⇐
*All my reviews are as spoiler-free as possible unless stated otherwise*

OVERALL THOUGHTS: 3.5/5

It took me some time to get into the writing style and the world but once I did I actually ended up really enjoying myself </>/>*All/>READING/>READ/>SIMILAR
Emily
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I WOULD give a disclaimer that Brittany Cavallaro is a friend of mine, but the fact is, our friendship really blossomed AFTER I read this book. As in, I read this book and was like, "How do I make you mine, Brittany Cavallaro? I want to live in your beautiful brain."

I really don't know where to start. How about with the writing? Absolutely gorgeous. Cavallaro is an accomplished poet and even in this YA novel, that really shows. Her sentences aren't "purple" or overwrought, but they d
Marissa
A Study in Charlotte is a fast paced and fun mystery novel. It is kind of like a Sherlock and Watson reimagining but with them being actual people and the main characters as their great, great, great grandchildren. And these grandchildren end up being forced into a situation where they are framed for a murder and have to work together in order to figure everything out.

We follow Jamie Watson, who is going to Sherrington on scholarship. He can be kind of stupid sometimes, but I do love his pers
Shaun Hutchinson
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. I’ve had this book on my shelf for a while but never got around to reading it. The cover made me think it was for a slightly younger audience. If I’d known Anica Rissi had edited it, I would have definitely picked it up sooner.

Brittany Cavallaro’s Sherlock and Watson may not tread a lot of new ground, but their story is still fresh and exciting. I love that we’re dealing with a whole family of Sherlocks and Watsons and Moriartys. There’s something really unique about that. But for

“We’re being toyed with,” I said. “But why would he want us to know he’s after us?”

If I didn’t have a rule about finishing books that I started, then I would have not finished this.

Firstly, I’ve never read any Sherlock Holmes books, so I have no idea if this is a good rendition, and I’m not even going to go there.

I didn’t really like the characters in this, and I didn’t like the fact that CharloEdelweiss.)
Jeff Zentner
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book had a long way to go to win me over. I've just never been more than the most casual fan of the Sherlock Holmes character/archetype (I do like the Cumberbatch version). Plus, hasn't this character been written about more than any other in all literature?

Well, this book handily won me over and then some. A lot, actually. Who knew that all I needed to love the Holmes archetype was to see him take the form of a ferociously brilliant teenage girl?

I loved everything about this book. The vo
✨    jamieson   ✨
“We weren't Sherlock Holmes and John Watson. I was ok with that, I thought. We had things they didn't, too. Like electricity, and refrigerators. And Mario Kart.”

this is one of those times I just wanna reiterate that a THREE STARS means I LIKED IT. there is this weird thing here 3 stars = bad. This book isn't bad. I liked it. I just didn't REALLY like it, or love it. But I had a lot of fun reading it, and I plan to continue the series. I can see so much potential for this series, and these charac
Vanessa
Dec 30, 2015 rated it liked it

When I first read this book, I LOVED IT. I was in such an awe that when I read the sequel, a year later, I was totally disappointed by how messy that book (The Last of August) was. It felt like a huge let down and so I unhauled it, discontinuing the series and pretending this first instalment to be a standalone. But it doesn't make sense to keep a book whose characters will grow in a series you don't have
Sharon
May 26, 2018 rated it liked it
A girl who is a descendant of Sherlock Holmes, I mean, how can I resist??

Hhmm… We have a Holmes who is a very flawed human being.

Not to say that Sherlock Holmes was perfect. He wasn’t. But he felt pretty damn invincible to me most of the times.

Charlotte Holmes is more “human.” I don’t think that’s a bad thing. In fact, I like that we are exploring her flaws and her vulnerable side. Especially since she is only a teenager, so it makes sense to see her struggle and mature.
Kali Wallace
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had the opportunity to read an advanced copy of A STUDY IN CHARLOTTE. I adore mysteries, and I love Sherlock Holmes stories, but I wasn't sure what to expect--Holmes adaptations can be a bit unpredictable, right?

So I am delighted to say that I enjoyed this book from beginning to end. The writing is lovely, the mystery is clever and kept me guessing, and the nods to Arthur Conan Doyle's stories are abundant and obviously come from a place of great love and admiration.

Best of all are the two m

• Lock & Mori (Lock & Mori, #1)
  • Trouble Makes a Comeback (Trouble, #2)
  • Every Breath (Every, #1)
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You
  • The Case of the Gypsy Good-Bye (Enola Holmes, #6)
  • Johnny Get Your Gun
  • Jewel of the Thames (Portia Adams Adventures, #1)
  • Velvet Undercover
  • Buzz Kill
  • The Grift of the Magi (Heist Society, #3.5)
  • Truly Devious (Truly Devious, #1)
  • Fallout (Lois Lane, #1)
  • The Great War: Stories Inspired by Items from the First World War
  • Speak Easy, Speak Love
  • Beastly Bones (Jackaby, #2)
  • Pretending to Be Erica
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
Brittany Cavallaro is a poet, fiction writer, and old school Sherlockian. She is the New York Times bestselling author of the Charlotte Holmes novels from HarperCollins/Katherine Tegen Books, including A STUDY IN CHARLOTTE, THE LAST OF AUGUST, THE CASE FOR JAMIE, and A QUESTION OF HOLMES. She's also the author of the poetry collections GIRL-KING and UNHISTORICAL (University of Akron) and is the re ...more

Charlotte Holmes (4 books)
  • The Last of August (Charlotte Holmes, #2)
  • The Case for Jamie (Charlotte Holmes, #3)
  • A Question of Holmes (Charlotte Holmes, #4)
“The two of us, we're the best kind of disaster. Apples and oranges. Well, more like apples and machetes.” 75 likes
“Truth be told, I liked that blurriness. That line where reality and fiction jutted up against each other.” 53 likes