Start by marking “Girl About Town (Lulu Kelly Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Girl About Town (Lulu Kelly Mystery #1)

Girl About Town (Lulu Kelly Mystery #1)

Not too long ago, Lucille O’Malley was living in a tenement in New York. Now she’s Lulu Kelly, Hollywood’s newest It Girl. She may be a star, but she worries that her past will catch up with her. Back in New York she witnessed a Mafia murder, and this glamorous new life in Tinseltown is payment for her silence.

Dashing Freddie van der Waals, the only son of a New York tycoo
Published May 3rd 2016 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Girl About Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl About Town

Sarah Jessica Parker
An incredible book by my friend Adam Shankman set in the golden age of Hollywood. Who could resist?
Anna
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very much like an old-school screwball comedy. It did have a touch of (almost) insta-love, but I didn't mind. After a serious beginning the book took a turn into fluffville a bit after the halfway point, and mostly stayed there. It was a lot like watching a romantic thriller from the thirties. Enough name dropping to be fun and not obnoxious. Lulu Kelly was a great protagonist and Freddie definitely grew up over the course of the book. I'd recommend it if Old Hollywood is in your wheelhouse. :)
Lynx
I had such high hopes for this one but it continually fell flat for me. Avoid this one and pick up Mary Miley's Roaring Twenties Mystery Series instead!
Dark Faerie Tales
May 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A little on the slow side, but overall I really enjoyed the realistic setting and the fun characters!

Opening Sentence: It was never quiet where Lucille lived.

The Review:

Lucille O’Malley grew up in New York in a tiny two bedroom apartment with her sick father, five siblings and hard working mother. They barely made ends meet and Lucille would love to change her situation. But the poor just get poorer as the rich get richer and there are very
Carlene Inspired
ARC provided in exchange for an honest review.

Lulu Kelly, once Lucille O'Malley of New York, is given a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to make something of herself. She's given a one-way ticket to fame and fortune in the glittering lights of Hollywood, as long as she keeps her mouth shut about what she saw. Freddie van der Waals, once a young, handsome heir to a fortune and fiance to a beautiful, vapid girl, has chosen the streets as his home. Jaded by his discoveries of how his family fortune w
Natalie
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2016
While I thought the premise was interesting enough, I never really warmed to the main character. How can she be happy as the up and coming starlet knowing that the only reason she got there was because of the mafia?

Freddie I liked better as a character because he was kind of the opposite of Lulu - he realized where his money came from and turned his back on it.

There were also a lot of loose ends that were never really explained which always bugs me in a book.

The author is primarily a screenwr
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Chapters read: 4

Decently interesting but I'm unimpressed with the characterization and the writing. For the most part, the writing is simple, but then there's the occasional big word thrown in that feels entirely out of place, not to mention a bit of slang that I googled and could find no record of being used in that context.
Kelly Gunderman
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Check out this and other reviews on my young adult book blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

Girl About Town is unlike a lot of other YA novels – it’s a historical YA mystery that takes you into Hollywood and into the life of two opposites: a young lady who started with nothing and rose to fame due to an unforeseen circumstance, and a young man who started as the son of a billionaire and has found himself homeless and traveling to get away from a life he once enjoyed, but found out was built upon lies
Robin
Jun 01, 2016 rated it liked it
A young girl witnesses a crime and is promised her wildest dreams if she lies to the police. A rich young man discovers that his father is not who he thought he was and he runs. Their stories run parallel to each other and then converge in Hollywood in the 1930's.
A wanna be starlet, a gangster, a jealous co-star, and a bum who isn't all cross paths in an accidental shooting on set.
I enjoyed the witty dialogue and the behind the scenes look at how a star was created. It was quick, easy read set
Racheal
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
**Net Galley Giveaway/ARC**

Girl About Town is a YA novel with historical details and old Hollywood charm. I loved the setting and Adam Shankman is excellent at describing scenes so you feel as if you are really there. I liked the characters but felt that the instant love relationship needed to be explored a little more than it was. The ending felt a little rushed but this was still an enjoyable read.
Summer
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 Stars. Teenagers Lucille and Frederick flee 1930’s New York and reinvent themselves after each witnesses a violent crime. Lulu, having grown up poor, strikes a questionable deal to pursue stardom in Hollywood, meanwhile, Freddie sheds his family’s ill-gotten wealth for the hardship of train-hopping.

I liked the mention of people like Max Factor, Luella Parsons, Mary Pickford, etc, still, I felt like it could have been even more descriptive about the era, the clothes, the settings, I just fel
Anne Mc
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
YA novel about the Golden Age of Hollywood in the 30s. Lulu, a poor girl from the Lower East Side is in the wrong place at the wrong time but ends up a star in Hollywood. Freddie, a billionaire boy learns something about his family and starts traveling the country as a bum. They end up together solving a mystery that could destroy her. Not great literature but fun. The characters are a bit stock and the whirlwind, love at first sight romance is a bit much. It’s sweet, though, and there is real e ...more
Mrs.
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Linda
May 12, 2017 rated it liked it
As a fan of classic movies, I was eager to read Girl About Town. It is an enjoyable and suspenseful read, but the ending is rushed and character development is a bit flat. The Depression-era setting, the involvement with the mafia, the rich lifestyle contrasted with the struggles of the poor and of course the glamor of Hollywood are all promising elements of the story, but it does not live up to its potential.
Olivia
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I adore this book. While it's not on my favorites list I still think it beautifully written. It may seem predictable but the end is thoughtful and sneaky and bound to surprise you. While it's not the biggest page turner, it's a wonderful period piece full of love and mystery and greed.
Leah
May 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There was nothing that I liked about this book. The story was boring; the plot was predictable; the characters were unlikable.
Windy
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun and light read.
Siobhan Julian
Jul 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Not exactly high art, but a pleasantly amusing murder mystery (sort of) romp through a post-Jazz Singer, pre-Thin Man Hollywood.
Renia Mckenzie
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
To be honest it wasn't as enjoyable as I thought it would be. Somethings felt forced or boring.
Megan Coppadge
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was so excited when I found out that I had won this book from a giveaway on The Irish Banana. As soon as I read the synopsis for this book I knew I wanted to read it and I wasn't disappointed.

I'm going to be honest it took me a little while to get into this book. At about 30% into the book is when I really got hooked. I think it was the POV alternating between chapters that stalled me. At first I wasn't a big fan of Lulu's and I usually only got a page or two into her chapter before I kind of
Cassi
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned-arcs
I really wanted to like this book. It totally sounds like something up my alley. It's a YA hard-boiled mystery with old Holloywood setting, after all. But unfortunately it did't work for me.

My biggest issue with this book was the pacing. It took half of the book to even get to the real mystery of the book, a mystery that was mentioned in the synopsis. It was just so much exposition and then when it finally got to the mystery, it felt rushed.

But I did like the mystery aspects of the story. It was
Jacqui☕️
This had potential to be great, but ended up falling short. Even with all the flaws, I was still engaged in the plot. The bad included lacking character development and had the worst case of insta-love I've ever seen. The characters were lacking heart and I didn't connect emotionally. The 1930's Hollywood setting is a strong point and it felt authentic and glamorous. Definitely on the fluffy side, but I still liked it.
Vanessa
Apr 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Probably somewhere between 2.5-3.4 stars...

While I enjoy a lot of YA works, this was a bit of a younger YA style. The beginning of the book started out very serious and quite interesting, and then took a sudden turn into fast-paced silliness and fluff. The insta-love I was kinda okay with, looking at this as a short fun book that even alluded to how rediculously fast the love happened. However, a lot of the plot from there on was so silly and rediculous...while I felt that I still didn't really
Juls
Jun 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I grew up with Adam Shankman and he's got more talent than pretty much anyone I've ever known so when I heard that he wrote a book, I knew I needed to read this book. And it didn't disappoint. This book takes place in the Golden Age of Hollywood. Starlet and a regular guy running away from his troubles in the middle of the Depression. They find each other and connect. Lulu and Freddie were real characters and I was rooting for them the whole way. I could "see" the story since shows Adam's abilit ...more
Liberty Sparks
Jan 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
Maybe one star is a bit harsh, but God was this book awful. There were very few things I actually enjoyed in this book. The plot was predictable, the characters were largely one dimensional (save vasily, who's character had a fair amount of potential but really wasn't executed properly.) it seemed to be trying to push a feminist message towards the end but it was more the sort of dysfunctional relationship where the girl if crazy and does stupid things and bosses the man around but if the man tr ...more
Briar Rose
May 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, 2016, old-hollywood
Girl About Town is a crime drama that fits in with old Hollywood. This book was right up my alley.

The problem? It was boring about 50% of the time and I didn't care about any of the characters. While the plot was somewhat interesting, it took way too long to get to anything exciting or interesting. The writing style isn't too bad, but it's clear the author is more adapted to writing screenplays than books.
Monica
Nov 07, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was fluffy, vapid fun. Set in 1930's Hollywood, it's appropriately name drop-y and has enough gangsters to keep things "edgy." The main character is more than a bit of a Mary-Sue, but without being *overly* obnoxious. There's a love at first sight, love to end all loves relationship that's totally barf-worthy. There's description of sumptuous Old Hollywood fashion. This book hits all of the guilty pleasure points. If you're looking for a deep, gritty novel, this isn't for you.

Kylie Sparks
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
This one has shallow characters, a contrived plot, and is fluffy in the extreme. One of the authors is a screenwriter and you can tell. I really liked the other author's first book (Laura Sullivan) so I expected more from this but it's not at all the same. For those looking for a light mystery read, it may suffice.
The Library Lady
May 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-books, edelweiss
This was written by a screenwriter, and it might have made a better movie, since the characters are shallow and the plot largely ludicrous. And please don't compare this to a 30s screwball comedy, or-- Lord help us-- a " Thin Man" movie. Anyone who does so clearly has never seen either, and should! This is a faint imitation of the real thing.
Amber Loyacano
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I did not think I would like this book, but I was wrong. The story was atypical for YA and the story felt like a black and white movie from the "golden age" of film. I think some people might get turned off by the silliness of the plot, but it fit the tone of the book and ultimately added to the appeal.

• Courting Magic (Kat, Incorrigible #4)
  • Savannah Purchase (Purchas Family, #3)
  • My Lords, Ladies and Marjorie
  • The Time Travelers: Volume Two
  • Winter Wedding
  • The Primrose Path
  • The Decoding of Lana Morris
  • The Chaperon (Sisters of Woodside Mysteries, #2)
  • The Humming of Numbers