Start by marking “Third Girl” as Want to Read:
Third Girl

Third Girl

(Hercule Poirot #38)

A desperate woman seeks the aid of Hercule Poirot in a matter of life and death. A near-lethal does of poison, a blood-stained knife, a revolver, and a family who aren't what they seem all figure in an extraordinary case that takes the celebrated Belgian detective from a village estate to the bohemian streets of London.
Published October 1st 1992 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published November 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Third Girl, please sign up.
Tina I loved it. Set in the 60's was a change for Christie. Some reviews I read didn't like the angle of writing but I think the disapproval of the younger…moreI loved it. Set in the 60's was a change for Christie. Some reviews I read didn't like the angle of writing but I think the disapproval of the younger style of dress was correct as it was from an older point of view. It left me wanting to pick up more of her books.(less)

carol.
Imagine, if you will, being a famous female mystery author. You’ve been publishing for over forty-five years, and you’ve become more than a bit tired of your fans’ favorite detective, the egg-headed Hercule Poirot. What’s a person to do? Try a mystery where there’s no murder, only a confused, drugged twenty-something who is sure she’s committed one. Poirot, of course, has his suspicions early on:

“She is not one who can cope with difficulties. She is not one of those who can see before hand the d
mark monday
Choose Your Own Adventure!

You are an apartment in London. It is the Swingin’ 60s, man, and everything is new and shiny and groovy and covered with flowers. Psychiatry: what a mind trip, it’s crazy! Drugs: they’re everywhere – and sometimes not so groovy! You have room for three girls, you spacious bohemian pad you... but three girls in swingin’ London can sometimes equal trouble: Murder Trouble! Whatever is a hepcat apartment to do? Time to bring in an old-school private detective and his square
Archit Ojha
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want a murder.

- Hercule Poirot

Agatha Christie held me captive.

I should not have postponed reading this classic this long. DANG! Better late than never.

A young woman approaches you and confesses that "She might have committed a murder." and leaves the house without throwing any lights on the matter. What do you make up of this incident? Do you think she's a troubled mad girl, that she's facing some family issues and forget about everything altogether?

A normal person would shake it all off.

Bu
Fiona MacDonald
Ashamed to say this was not Agatha Christie on top form. I really wasn't a fan of this, and although the story was explained at the end I still didn't feel it made any sense! Poirot is going a bit downhill I feel by now, and like in the book beforehand that I read, Christie seems fed up of him as a character. It really shows. Interesting story, but too drawn out and just not enjoyable!
Tim
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well… It’s not as bad as The Big Four at least! Yeah, that’s about the most in terms of praise I can personally give this one. Now don’t get me wrong, Christie wrote so many books that I am in no way upset when I read a “bad” one, but it is a little disappointing that I say this is my second to least favorite in the series.

There are so many issues with this one. For a good portion of the novel there isn’t an actual case to be solved, just Poirot going “Hmm… it feels like there should be a case
David Schaafsma
"I want a murder!"--Poirot (not that Belgian wants to see anyone dead, really. A murder has been claimed, and none has been proven)

A “third girl” is a reference to the intricacies of flat rental, I learn. A girl (or, woman, okay) rents a flat (or, as we say in the U.S., apartment, just don’t want you to get lost here. . .) and then invites a friend in to join her. Then they advertise for a “third girl” to share with them, who apparently is not usually a friend. Not surprisingly, this third girl
Sam
Aug 16, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Agatha Christie fans
Shelves: fiction
Well, as my first Agatha Christie book in about 20 years, i'm told this was a bad choice. Christie wrote it later in her life, and in a bid to maintain some relevance with the younger people, wrote in a lot of jargon about drugs and young people and their strange ways. The jargon and stereotypes didn't bother me so much - they were quaint and at times humorous, but forgivable in most circumstances. What was bothersome about the book was that it had some difficulty in getting started, and when it ...more
Veronique
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5*

“Eh bien, then, you are crazy, or appear crazy or you think you are crazy, and possibly you may be crazy.”

This one was so much fun! Not only did it feature Ariadne Oliver, a firm favourite, but this novel had plenty of humour and a great ‘mystery’ to unravel. One for once that I was able to solve ;O) Loved it.
Branwen *of House Targaryen*
"Where there is murder, anything can happen."

Can you believe I have gone my whole life without reading an Agatha Christie novel?!?

I know, right?! Me either! ;)

So I picked this one up, along with a few others, at my local used bookstore on a whim and decided to give her a shot. I am really glad that I did, because this book was very enjoyable!

Hercule Poirot is a Belgium detective who is approached by a young girl who thinks she has committed a murder. Shortly after she disappears and Poirot must
samantha  (books-are-my-life20)
Great fun read. Hercules Poirot is a great character. This is an intriguing plot.
Nancy Oakes
Hercule Poirot is now in his 35th adventure; after this one, he has only three more contemporary appearances -- in Hallow'een Party, Elephants Can Remember, and Curtain.

Third Girl is set smack in the mid-sixties. It's a time when men are wearing such clothes as "elaborate velvet waistcoat[s:], skin-tight pants," and wearing their hair long in "rich curls of chestnut," while women were wearing

"the clothes of their generation: black high leather boots, white open-work stockings of doubtful cleanl
Clare Snow
While looking for the third girl, Poirot & Mrs Oliver took up a third too many pages.
Lata
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ariadne Oliver is back! Wonderful! And between interrogating and following people, she actually ends up saying and finding some really important things to Poirot. Things that enable Poirot to think his way through what is a nicely complicated case: a young woman tells Poirot, and others, that she thinks she's committed a murder. Her words and behaviour are sufficiently intriguing that Poirot stirs himself from his office and reading, puts on his "foreigner" act and lays on the charm, while worki ...more
Helen
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm loving reading Agatha Christie! Not dated, quirky characters and very interesting plots!
QHuong(BookSpy)

I was so surprised after finishing this book. The whole book was dedicated to a crime that seemed didn't exists at all. There was no death, no killer, just a bunch of potential suspects that added to nothing. It seemed like Poirot was holding straws - he kept looking for clues, clues of something that didn't happen. Yes, we would think he grew old now, he was not as shrewd and quick as before. However, those final chapters - they were mind blowing. Now I understood. Murders. Motives. Al
Kyleigh
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.6/5 ⭐

STORY 4.5/5 -it was slow to start but once things really got rolling it was EXTREMELY well crafted. I didn’t love the very ending though and by that I mean the last line or two of the book fell flat for me.

CHARACTERS 4.5/5 - I love Poirot and Ms. Oliver and some of the supporting characters were good too but I found myself getting confused as to who was who.

WRITING 5/5 - like I said this was extremely well crafted. I couldn’t believe how smart the mystery was step by step.

ENJOYMENT 4.5/5
Bruce Beckham
Not the strongest Poirot ever written, and perhaps that was because by 1966 both he and his creator were a little past their prime.

Indeed the novel opens with a ‘modern’ young woman (the ‘Third Girl’ of the title) first requesting but then rejecting the legendary detective’s services for being, in her words, “too old”.

That she has confessed to a murder, however, has the timeworn moustaches twitching with youthful verve!

The generation gap is a constant theme – not only playing out in fiction, bu
Andrea
I'm getting increasingly weary of Christie's 1960s writing. It's jumping the shark. The plot is just okay and is more of a vehicle for the author to complain about the beatnik generation. Forgettable fluff.
Obsidian
Well I admit I like the cover of this book. Some of the Christie covers by HarperCollins have been pretty great. Other than that, this was a pretty average mystery novel.

The character of Poirot has descended into even more pompousness if possible. After a young woman comes to Poirot saying that she has murdered someone, and runs away after realizing that he is old (yeah that happened) Poirot is aggrieved by the encounter. A chance phone call by Mrs. Oliver leads Poirot to figuring out who the my
Kavita
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, uk
It's not that Agatha Christie has never written a bad book in her career. Though I love most of her books, I do not like some of her more political novels. So while I am not shocked that I disliked this book, never has Christie written something so meandering and pointless.

Till the last chapter, the book seems to have no plot at all. There is no murder committed, there is nothing happening. There are not even any interesting interactions between the various characters like in The Hollow before
Deborah Ideiosepius
This is one of Agatha Christie's later Hercule Poirot stories, one in which Hastings has been replaced by Mrs. Oliver as a sidekick and as often is the case, Mrs Oliver becomes an instigator in this mysterious case.

A girl shows up asking for Hercule Poirot, says that she 'may have committed a murder' and then decides not to confide in him and vanishes.
Who is the girl? She left no name...
What murder? Poirot cannot find that there has been ANY murder....
Who does one not know if one has committed m
Vikas Singh
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is only one draw back with this novel- There are just too many coincidences. And these coincidences help Poirot solve the case. For the first time we see Poirot genuinely aggrieved when a young girl tells him that he is Old! It takes all the patience and diplomacy of Mrs. Oliver to soothe his nerves. Otherwise a nice intriguing plot with usual twisted ending. Interesting read.
Fuad Al Fidah
This one was predictable, time to take a break from agatha christie.
Karen ⊰✿
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uno_2017
Book 35 and Poirot is still going strong. I absolutely love the character of Ariadne Oliver to give a bit of humour and freshness to the series too.
Ririn
For the first time ever, I got close enough to guess the mystery. Yeay!!

But it was a bit odd to see Poirot lost his confidence. It was his arrogance that was the main attraction for all this time.
Nina
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
2,3/5*
A little bit interesting but I felt something was off. A bit dragging too. Tapi covernya lumayan, artsy and creepy.
Lindsey
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually quite liked this one! I’m hoping the last few Poirot are as engaging.
Brent Soderstrum
I had previously thought that Christie's worst Hercule Poirot novel had to be The Big Four...till I read The Third Girl. I never thought I would give Agatha a two star rating for any of her books...till I read The Third Girl. In trying to obtain the shock value that she became famous for Christie had in her later novels resorted to absurd endings. I thought I had seen her most absurd endings...until I read The Third Girl.

The book does have Poirot in it from the beginning till the merciful ending
Gunjan Rani
I decided to read all thrillers, mysteries, and crimes types of novels during my commute. Because, all the knowledgeable novels can't be read in hustle and bustle.
Already halfway through it and don't feel like to put it down when I reach home. But, I do.
...
*Spoilers*
I knew it was Mary Restarick, I just couldn't discern she was Frances too. Dayum!

Anyway, Third Girl by Hercule Poirot was amazing but not astounding. Some characters were deliberately forced throughout the story which only increase
Melissa
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Kept me guessing until the end.
Agatha Christie L...: August 2016 - Third Girl 27 60 Sep 06, 2016 08:32PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Third Girl by Agatha Christie 7 44 Apr 01, 2015 12:23AM

• The Unexpected Guest
  • A Wreath for Rivera (Roderick Alleyn, #15)
  • The Burden
  • When Last I Died (Mrs. Bradley, #13)
  • The Scoop and Behind the Screen
  • Black Is the Colour of My True Love's Heart (Felse, #6)

Agatha Christie is the best-selling author of all time. She wrote 66 crime novels and story collections, fourteen plays, and six novels under a pseudonym in Romance. Her books have sold over a billion copies in the English language and a billion in t

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee: A Mystery Play in Three Acts (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)
“They have a genius, young ladies, for getting into various kinds of trouble and difficulty.” 7 likes
“Is she a very clever little actress, acting a part? Or is she a genuine semi-moronic suicidal victim?” 5 likes