Start by marking “Dead Men Walking” as Want to Read:
Dead Men Walking

Dead Men Walking

At Alamosa County Prison's Death Row, Corrections Officer George Palomino tells the new hire a horror story about the time an execution went terribly wrong, ending in a fellow guard's murder.
In Cell Block C, known around Alamo as "Z Block," everyone's a dead man just waiting to make it official. Even the guards.
ebook
Published September 24th 2014 by Smashwords Edition

To ask other readers questions about Dead Men Walking, please sign up.
Duncan Ralston Sorry I missed this question, Shadow Girl! I collected How to Kill a Celebrity in with Dead Men Walking in Sweat & Blood, along with some other…moreSorry I missed this question, Shadow Girl! I collected How to Kill a Celebrity in with Dead Men Walking in Sweat & Blood, along with some other stories. Sorry if that caused a problem on here!(less)

Start your review of Dead Men Walking
Marie
Very short story from author, Duncan Ralston.

Revenge is sweet in this tale of bus driver, Mr. McAllister handling a bully that rides his bus everyday. Jesse a/k/a the bully, just likes picking on other kids on the bus and doing things to them not caring about the consequences of his actions. Mr. McAllister tries to think of ways to handle Jesse without getting backlash from the school board and possibly getting fired. What he does and how he does it makes an interesting read. Giving it 3.5
Dianne

New Orleans, the town full of magic and mystery is where young Annie Watkins finally lands a job at a local television station. Nope, she isn’t the hottest new Weather Girl, she is in charge of obituaries, and prepping them for instant on air time. Sounds kind of morbid, doesn’t it? When the obits she writes, in preparation for the demise of some mover and shaker feels like a prelude to their eminent demise, where can she turn? Is she cursed or is it the dark magic of New Orleans at work?

Duncan
Darren Dilnott
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first came across Duncan Ralston in the awesome anthology The Black Room Manuscripts. His contribution, Cuttings, is a beautifully twisted tale. This is included in Sweat & Blood, alongside immense stories, like How To Kill A Celebrity, and Dead Men Walking. At 99p its a purchase, that could never be regretted. Leap into the broken mind of Duncan Ralston, and you'll never be the same :)
Jeff Dawson
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enter the world of I believe George Pal-of-mine. I say this because the narrator is never properly introduced. I enjoyed the story being told in first person. The book is written as a narrative. Very refreshing.

Pal-of-mine is breaking in a new rookie officer to Cell Block C or as it is affectionately referred to by those who work it, Z. The story will have you thinking of the Green Mile as George describes an execution gone horribly wrong.

The amount of detail in this short story is perfect.
Andrew
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How to Kill a Celebrity (great title) is a novelette that follows Annie on the first job of her media career. She’s fresh out of school, and excited to be hired by a New Orleans TV station as a video editor. The job isn’t exactly what she expected. The preemptive video obituaries she prepares are immediately followed by the death of the subject.

As an adopted Louisianian and former New Orleanian, I loved the setting and local references of which there were plenty. There was talk of streets and
christina cooper
Welcome to Alamosa County Prison

So entertaining, I smiled through much of this just imagining the 'speaker' and enjoying his story. Very entertaining & easy read with some horror and psychological thrills along the way. Recommend to fans of modern horror!
Paddy
Jul 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bought by mistake, not realising it was a short story. As usual it was a story that seemed to have so much potential in becoming an awesome read, and then it ended. They are just not for me I'm afraid
Shadow Girl
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It takes a special kind of person to work here on Death Row. Yeah, that’s why they call it that – Z Block.
Dead men walkin’, just like zombies

Full review posted on BBB
Jen Brockman
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
amazing writing and spooky enough to give me goosebumps. (NOT an easy thing to do) I look forward to more from this author. Only downside is that I wish it was longer.
Adam Vine
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid collection of short scary stories ranging from the weird to the truly "ohhh shit."
Tamara
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this collection ... completely on purpose ... to get more than my fair share of this twisted author. I am not disappointed in the least!
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
How can I like this book that gave me goose bumps or chicken skin?

You have to read it to find out.

I felt like I was the person that was walking to the execution table.

Nice twist at the end.
Lydian Faust
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant collection of stories that go beyond blood and guts to reveal the true horrors of the human psyche. What makes Ralston's demons so terrifyingly compelling, is that they could be any one of us, grappling with our darker primitive urges in the so-called "civilized world".
Maria
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a curse to carry. Can you find a good use for it? Duncan Ralston you made it happen that way! New fan.
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story was short but packed with action.
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This may be a short story but it packs a lot.

Makes you stop and think.

Michael Myett

• The Girl with a Clock for a Heart
  • Weekend
  • Ravished by the Orc Bandit
  • The Pied Piper of the Undead
  • Wilderness (Innocence, #0.5)
  • Alif the Unseen
  • Ashley Bell (Ashley Bell, #1)
  • The Moonlit Mind (Pendleton, #0.5)
  • The I.P.O.
  • The Traveling Vampire Show
  • Killer Clown: The John Wayne Gacy Murders
  • The Cases That Haunt Us
  • One Star
  • Wild Night Is Calling
  • Mask of Silence (Mask of Silence #1)
  • Neighbors
Duncan Ralston was born in Toronto and spent his teens in small-town Ontario. In addition to his twisted short stories found in GRISTLE & BONE and VIDEO NASTIES, he is the author of the novels SALVAGE, WILDFIRE, WHERE THE MONSTERS LIVE, WOOM, EBENEZER, and THE METHOD. His screenplays have won and placed in several major competitions.