Start by marking “Bittersweet” as Want to Read:
Bittersweet

Bittersweet

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  83 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Sparks fly between a sexy stranger and a small-town waitress in this steamy new contemporary romance…

When new teen TV series 'Bittersweet' begins shooting in Dogwood, Virginia, the small town is abuzz with excitement. But local waitress Cathy Johnson has too much on her plate to waste time being star-struck. To Cathy, "bittersweet" is just the word that sums up her love-li
ebook, 1, 300 pages
Published October 6th 2014 by Hothouse Fiction Ltd (first published October 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Bittersweet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bittersweet

Patty
Nov 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: new-adult, romance, ibooks
**Originally posted on Bookish Wanderlove.**

Opening Lines
“As the sun finally begins to sink lower in the sky, I stare at the piles of trash neatly stacked up in the dumpster with a smile on my face, drawing in a last breath of the warm summer air before I head back inside.”
Bittersweet was a good New Adult read, I found that it flowed well and had a cute small town appreciation. I had some problems being able to connect with the characters but I really loved how Greg wasn't the typical New Adul
Bethany
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
3.5 Stars

I enjoyed Bittersweet by Sunday James. The story line was different and I really like the main character Cathy Johnson; she was a strong independent girl. Just how I like the leading ladies to be.

Bittersweet is the story of Cathy Johnson, small town waitress working at her family's diner. Everything in her little town changes when a teen TV show is planning to start filming their show in her town. That’s when she meets extremely good looking Greg Moran. Cathy is very attracted to Greg b
Alla
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was a pleasant surprise for me.
The storyline was good, even though this has been done before, a small town girl falling for a TV star. But it still felt fresh and in some ways original.
I connected right away with the story. The characters were very likable and their relationship built up nicely. Craig was giving a lot of mixed signals for some time and I was starting to think that I would be reading that throughout the book, but when his issues came out, it was understandable.
There is
Rebecca
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rar, 2015
Ok, first let me just start by saying I read this book under my perfect circumstances, all through the night with nothing else to think about, it was great. Now on to the book, I couldn’t put it down; it was expertly written to make you fall in love with the characters. It was a book that I very much enjoyed and I will defiantly be reading more by this author again.

The main characters are Greg and Cathy; Cathy is a waitress in her father’s restaurant when the producers of a new TV show come to h
Falling In Fall Book Blog
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-read-shelf
***A gifted copy was provided in exchange for an honest review.***
~*Review by Lo*~

What can I say other than I absolutely LOVED this book! I was drawn in from the very first page and felt like I was connected with each and every character. I honestly felt like I should be friends with these people and hang out where they hang out and work where they work. That is when you know you have a good read!
I rated Bittersweet with FIVE LEAVES! It's been a long time since I've had so much fun reading book.
RoloPoloBookBlog
Bittersweet by Sunday James
Source: Author
My Rating: 3/5 stars
My Review:

Cathy Johnson is in her early twenties and her life is pretty much the way it always has been and always will be. She lives in the small town of Dogwood, Virginia and since her mother abandoned the family when Cathy was just a kid, Cathy has cared for her father and younger brother. Cathy waitresses in her dad’s diner, lives with her best friend Maxine and, has a dating pool that consists of the same local boys she has known
BookWorm 221
Jan 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, arcs-2015

www.bookworm221.tumblr.com

description

Thank you to the New Adult Book Club on Goodreads and also the author Sunday James for providing me with a copy of Bittersweet in exchange for an honest review.

Cathy is a waitress at her Dad’s diner in a little town called Dogwood, when nothing extraordinary happens, until one day a TV production company arrives and soon after a new TV show starts filming in their town. Among the actors of the show is Broadway transfer Greg Moran.

From the moment they meet it’s evident t
Candiefloss
Jan 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2-review
3 'Bittersweet' stars

Hot, up and coming celebrity falls for small town waitress while in town shooting a new show. Usually I adore these type of books but something was lacking in this particular one.

Now, because this isn't the most original storyline, I think the characters needed to be the selling point; the feature that stood this one above all the other similar books. Unfortunately, I think the characters fell short; specifically the leading male.

Greg was all over the place. He was hot on
Beth
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I’m very excited I had the opportunity to review this debut novel by Sunday James. The book’s description grabbed my attention and I knew I wanted to read it.

I really liked the plot. It’s sort of a Hollywood romance, but it doesn’t take place in Hollywood. The setting is the small town of Dogwood, VA. Cathy has lived in Dogwood her entire life helping run her father’s restaurant and caring for her younger brother. Hollywood executives have decided to film a new TV show in her hometown and that’s
Carra
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Bittersweet is a tension and angst-filled new adult romance, the debut work of author Sunday James. I have to say-for a debut, this story is pretty well done. The writing flows well and the characters were very well written, feeling like they could have been people I would know.

The main female lead, Cathy, is a strong and independent young woman and the main male lead, Greg, is sexy but has a shadowed side that has him bouncing back and forth from hot and feisty to aloof and detached. This lead
* Sara Johns*
Nov 02, 2014 rated it liked it
This is an entertaining and sweet read that kept me interested. It's always fun when you have the nobody girl who pulls the eyes of the big star. I liked that Cathy had an everyday girl feel to her that was relatable. So many times with these types of book, the main character is supposed to be normal and average, but then there are men falling at her feet at every turn. This is not the case with Cathy. She's likeable with loyal friends and a good heart.

The relationship had its ups and downs for
Jodie's W.I.N.E. List
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this contemporary romance story. There was just something about Cathy that drew me in. I just wanted her to have her HEA.

Cathy grew up in a small town, waitressing at her father's diner and helping raise her little brother. It's a typical small town, where everyone knows everyone else business. Nothing exciting happens ... ever.

Until there is a new TV show being filmed in town.

Greg comes to town as part of the show. Greg and Cathy meet...sparks fly... she thinks things are mov
Emily
Cathy Johnson lives a simple life, as a single mom and waitress at her Dad's restaurant she has learned to not expect too much out of life. When a television series begins taping in Dogwood, Virginia Cathy is barely paying attention until she meets Greg Moran. Cathy doesn't know how he is affiliated with the show but something about him has Cathy interested. After one night together neither seem to be able to forget about it. Can they learn to trust one another or is their rocky beginning doomed ...more
Christine
Jan 15, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a freebie .....it took me a few chapters to get into the story, it was slow moving. I liked the main character Cathy, she was loyal to her family, growing up in a small town where you go to high school and work with people you've known you whole life. She has a difficult time trusting people, but she does learn to trust Greg. I liked the character Greg. It was a little slow, it just read like a nice sweet romance.

Thanks for the free copy, and I look forward to reading the 2nd book in t
Michelle
Nov 04, 2014 rated it liked it
**You can see this full review and more at Book Briefs: http://bookbriefs.net**

Bittersweet is a standalone New Adult contemporary Romance from Sunday James. It was an interesting read. At times I felt like there was too much going on for me to really start loving the story, but I did end up liking the overall flow of the storyline. It was a quick read that worked well as a standalone. I loved the small town setting. The writing was very atmospheric and rich with detail. The setting and the quai
Flirty Reader
Oct 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
Bittersweet by Sunday James has the recipe for a good romance a rainy day. You cuddle in and get comfortable under a warm blanket and read until you fall asleep and then wake up and read some more. Perfect day, in my opinion. I felt while reading Bittersweet that I was going to be pleasantly satisfied all around, and for the most part I was, but the second half of the book failed to hold my interest when the real conflict didn't seem to have the steam it should have had.

Cathy is a single women
Chu
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cathy Johnson was busy helping out the family restaurant and trying out new things to add to the menu to think about the TV production that is coming to their small town in Virginia. The whole town seemed to be pretty much excited except her. Her heart has been broken by her high school sweetheart, a relationship that ended in a disaster. The last thing she needs was to become star struck.

Until she crossed path with the sexy and charming Greg Moran who arrives in Dogwood together with the rest o
Dana Hartman
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: faves
I received a free copy of Bittersweet by Sunday James in exchange for an honest review.

Bittersweet is about a small-town girl whose bigger-town dreams are curtailed by her fathers illness. Her family owns a small restaurant in a small town, but when Cathy, our main character, stays home to help with the business instead of pursuing her dreams of a college degree, she also loses some of herself. She also loses her high-school sweetheart to the struggles of a long distance romance. We find her som
Melanie
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it

This book took me a little bit to get into but once I was into it, there was no putting it down. I love how Cathy's character is out on her own but still works with her father and takes care of her little brother despite the rough times she has endured in her life. Cathy is a carefree character that you immediately fall in love with. The way that she takes care of her dad and helps him run his hometown restaurant gives you the feeling that she is a good person. She lives with her best friend and
Kara
Oct 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Review posted at: http://bookcrushbookreviews.com/2014/...

Rating: 3 stars

From the first page of this novel, I was able to picture myself hovering over the scenes watching it play out live with Cathy as my narrator. Cathy is from a small town and works at her family restaurant owned by her father. Cathy's mother ran away from their family when Cathy was younger, resulting in trust issues for her. A soon-to-be TV show comes to town to film and this is where we meet Greg. Greg gets mysterious phone
Karen
Oct 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Bittersweet is the debut by author Sunday James was a little bittersweet to me. The story was sweet, the plot was sure to provide a bit of angst and I love stories of the secret star and regular girl. The bitter was the mild tension and character development.
Cathy and Greg’s story is mild to medium heat from the beginning but felt like it fizzled out by the middle of the book. This is normally where I would expect the angst and drama to become more heightened, and intensify, but I felt like it w
Nadia Debowska-Stephens (Obsessed by Books)
***Obsessed by books arc given in exchange for an honest review***

4 star read for this gentle and comfortable contempary romance. Hollywood comes to a small town, forever changing Cathy's life. She is a well rounded, likeable character with some trust issues that have built walls around her heart. A home girl at heart she has helped raise her brother and keep the family business going whilst her dad has struggled with health issues. Cathy is a straight talking sassy character with good friends,
Karen
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, readreviews
3 1/2 stars ***

** I was given this book for an honest review **

Bittersweet was an easy flowing story, I was drawn to it the minute I started reading.
The main character Cathy was a strong person with great potential, I only felt that the actual story line was a little drawn out, slow to get to the point. The male main character Greg had me slightly annoyed, I liked his character and yes he has a "past" but when we got to his "reasons" for being hot and cold towards Cathy, I felt that it wasn't e
Koko's Secrets   Blog
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Full Review at www.chapterfive.wix.com/chapter5

My Thoughts:
I received a copy of Bittersweet in exchange of an honest review.
This is the debut work from author Sunday James and I very happy to have the opportunity to read her work. For a debut work I have to said it's pretty well done. The character in this story are well writter and you get that feeling that make them so real. Is amazing how hook up you'll be once you start it.
Cathy is a very independt girl that lover her town and her friends, a
Claire
Jan 28, 2015 rated it liked it
I received a copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

I would give this book 3.5/4 stars.

After reading the synopsis I really wanted to read this book, and after reading it I can say I enjoyed the plot. The TV show aspect was interesting, and added another dimension to the usual NA books.

I liked Cathy and Greg as characters but I didn't love them. I would have preferred Cathy to have a bit more self assurance and with a bit more spark, at times she came across as a door mat (just my opinion).

I enjo
* A review copy was provided by the author for the Blog Tour *

Amazon Buy Link---->> Bittersweet

~~ 4 Bittersweet Stars ~~

Review to come for Blog Tour….

Follow Us at :: Book Bitches Blog | Facebook | Twitter
Liza
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Normally it takes me approx. half a days for reading books of this lengh. This one took me one week.

Greg is very annoying with his back and forth. I waited the whole time for Cathy telling him to get lost. But she was so weak, no matter what he did, he apologized and everything was okay again

I think I finished this book only because of Gregs secrets. I really wanted to know what it is. Maybe a good explanation for his behaviour?
Nope, I was so disappointed!

And the sexscenes? Boring.

After the "Th
Sam Dojcsak
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
This novel made me feel so many emotions. I definitely could relate to the feeling of uncertainty in a relationship prior to the relationship even starting. The ups and downs with crushes is something anyone can relate to.
Throw in a hunky TV star and a waitress and that sums up Bittersweet- on top of cute banter and supporting characters that make this a great book to get into.

I recommend this novel to anyone who has never had an easy time with a crush but when it all works out it seemed like it
Joyhdae
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Bittersweet is a fun and enjoyable read. The characters are Likeable, albeit a little frustrating, it was a quick read for me however, I found myself fully engaged with what was happening with Cathy and Greg. The only thing that I think would have made it a stronger story for me would have been meatier drama. All of the drama that met Cathy and Greg wasn't important to me and didn't sway me, I like my drama big. Overall I did enjoy
Penny Leidecker
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cliffhanger

I absolutely love Cathy's and Greg's story. If I had of known the last page wasn't the end, I may not have read it. I'm so glad I did, but now I'm ready for the next book. The characters and the town are so believable. I CAN'T. wait for the next book so I can see what's going on with all the characters, not just Cathy and Greg. Are Maxie and Todd going to stay together? Is Hal going to find his HEA? Come on Sunday, we NEED the next book.
« previous 1 3 next »
Sequel to Bittersweet 2 14 Jan 04, 2016 06:24AM
Sunday James is the pen name of author Sareeta Domingo, when writing the New Adult contemporary romance series that begins with BITTERSWEET. She lives in London and works as an editor at creative book packager Hothouse Fiction, squeezing writing into her mornings, evenings and weekends – but promises she has a life…

She loves all things American – literature, history, popular culture – so much so t
More about Sunday James

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • I Heart Paris
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Four Swans: A Novel of Cornwall, 1795-1797 (Poldark)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Choice
  • Saving Zoë
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Silver Linings Playbook
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be