Start by marking “Talking with Tech Leads” as Want to Read:
Talking with Tech Leads

Talking with Tech Leads

A book for Tech Leads, from Tech Leads. Discover how more than 35 Tech Leads find the delicate balance between the technical and non-technical worlds. Discover the challenges a Tech Lead faces and how to overcome them. You may be surprised by the lessons they have to share.

Now available at https://leanpub.com/talking-with-tech...
ebook
Published September 24th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Talking with Tech Leads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Talking with Tech Leads

Start your review of Talking with Tech Leads
Nat
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A bunch of interesting interviews. Only downside is they all have pretty similar backgrounds. Would have liked more class and experience diversity.
Bill
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Unlike general management how-tos which are a dime a dozen, there are almost no good books on technical leadership, so the author definitely gets an A for effort in trying a fill a much-needed niche. And the interview format was a promising idea, especially given the treasure trove of expertise that ThoughtWorks lead consultants have (disclaimer: I worked for ThoughtWorks for 4 years but didn't work with any of these interviewees).

Despite that promising potential, the execution of the book was
Marc
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Good to use to figure out what other books to read
Leo
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Came across this book after listening to the podcast with Patrick on Software Engineer Radio, which I found quite interesting and wanted to get a bit deeper into the topic.

Unfortunately this book isn't what I was looking for. 90% of it is snippets from the interviews with other tech leads (majority of them are from ThroughtWorks but not all) and it's highly repetitive, and very generic. Everyone struggles with finding time for writing code which they enjoy very much doing, everyone is finding
John
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Repetitive, shallow, and over representation of tech leads from thoughtworks employees and clients.
Mark
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
An important contribution, but hamstrung by its format.

The book's format is asking ~50 tech leads, mostly from ThoughtWorks, a few questions:
- what should the tech lead focus on
- how do you manage time
- how do you balance coding/non-coding responsibilities

This is an important book; there are many management books, but not much focussing on technical leadership. It was interesting hearing from the individual tech leads in their own voices, and hearing about individual projects was good for
Andras Csibi
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked how this book is not about the author telling you how to be a tech lead, it's about a bunch of different people telling you how to be a tech lead. It's a bit more evidence-based when N = 20 instead of N = 1.
Still, I struggled hard to finish this book. It became repetitive quite quickly. In a way, this was good because this lets you find common patterns and draw your own conclusions. On the other hand, this gets boring. Yes, you have to pay attention to the people. Finding time for coding
Jeremy Huiskamp
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a useful look at what a lot of people think the Tech Lead role entails. While on the one hand, there are a lot of diverse opinions, naturally a lot of the interviewees said the same things over and over, and so I found I could only read one interview per sitting or I would stop really paying attention.

As far as I'm aware, Tech Lead isn't really a well established role within the industry and I'm not sure this book really establishes it. Certainly within a single company like
Ana Todor
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
‘Talking with Tech Leads’ is different from the very first pages, because it doesn’t take a quantitative approach to leadership, but the much more difficult (and dreaded) qualitative approach. You don’t get the sales-y pitch of “Here’s a bullet-point list of five tips that will make you a killer technical lead in 24 hours”. You get a series of 50 semi-structured interviews, straight off from the trenches.

Read the full review on my personal blog .
miki albert
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Allthough the content is great, it gets to be repetitive fairly easy. The actual knowledge nuggets extracted would take up a quarter of this book, but still, the “interview” format presented in the book is a very good touch. Having real individuals presented, you can see how different approaches and personalities can affect the teams performance (in a good or a bad way); it’s more relateable, and somehow better than just a blob of specific best practicies in an abstract format.
Dave Cheney
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a newly minted tech lead I found this book useful albeit slightly repetitive—a side effect of the authors desire to remove their own bias by asking each interviewee the same questions. Perhaps because of the authors sample group—ThoughtWorkers and ex thoughtworkers—the book has little to offer tech leads working in remote first engineering organisations.
Carlos Coêlho
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this book has some great insights, especially for first time tech leaders, it has lost some opportunities on developing more some of the situations mentioned by the interviewee. Nevertheless, it's a good resource to learn about other's experiences in the role. Make sure to take a peek at the references in the end of the book, there are some nice recommendations in there.
Daniel Blanco
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though some of the interviews didn't offer much, I was able to find very good tips on how to improve my role as Tech Lead.

I was able to relate with the difficulties that some of the interviewers had in their teams.

Overall I think this is a pretty good book and any new Tech Lead should read it.
David S
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
The content is pretty interesting but it repeats itself too much.
I also felt the way it was done a bit lazy : it simply felt the author sent a survey to its colleagues and he only had to compile them and organize them in a few categories.
It's quickly read and you will better understand what's expected of a tech lead but it could have been way better in my opinion.
ferhat
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019_read
Several interviews on becoming a technical leader, somehow useful in the beginning but its benefit diminishes quickly.

I would suggest reading a few interviews both from new and senior tech leaders with the conclusions from the author instead of going over all pages.
Juan
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Good book to understand the transition between developer and Tech lead. Constraints, pros cons, challenges with people, with technology...

From my point of view the interviewers are repetitive because more or less all the Tech leads are or were facing the same problem and challenges.
Darek Napłoszek
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
A lot of the interviews are going in the same direction, which is understandable, but gets pretty boring fast. In the end reading the "Conclussion" section would suffice to get all the information you need from this book. However some stories were interesting.
Luboš
May 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not much new for me. I already went through many of the things mentioned there. Mainly just recap. May be worthy at the beginning of the leader career. We have been reading it with my coleagues. I will see how helpful was it for them.
Eric Mannes
Dec 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
Says so little with so many words! Impressive.
Dominic Wong
Nov 11, 2018 rated it liked it
It's not a bad book, it just doesn't provide a lot of good insights. The tips provided are relatively generic imho.
Tylor
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Meant for someone stepping into a Tech Lead position. Interesting for software professionals nonetheless
Zbyszek Sokolowski
To be honest I was hesitating between 3 and 4 stars, but due to weaker first part rather boring 3 will work. The book is mainly consisted from interview of 35 TL, with different experience as TL. Different approaches and so on. The idea is to look at other TL work, how they can deal with their job how they find time to write code and so on. Some quotations:

"noticed that the transition for a developer to a Tech Lead is never easy. Even experienced Tech Leads struggle when they first change teams
Moises Cuervo
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, was like having a hundreds of advice from a lot of successful leaders around the world. In some cases I found that methods that I'm currently using are used by many of those leaders, so I could notice that maybe I'm in the right way to become a good leader :D
Hugo Corbucci
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
In this book, Patrick Kua gathered a lot of interviews from multiple people that are or were, at some point, playing the role of Tech Lead in a team. It presents views from people new to Tech Leading and people who have been doing it for a while. For the latter, he groups interviews in 4 big aspects of Tech Leading: People, Tech, Bridging business and tech, you.

Overall, the book can get a little tiring due to the interview format being a little repetitive but the content is very reassuring for
Sebastian Gebski
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's a good book, but ...
* with a limited use cases list :)
* you have to accept its unconventional approach

Basically, this book in 80% consists of questionnaires filled by Tech Leads - both relatively inexperienced & seasoned. Questions vary, but to be honest they still present pretty much the same views & end with drawing very similar conclusions, which ... of course is not a problem. Because this book is aimed to help fresh Tech Leads to set a proper attitude & correct priorities -
Mindaugas Mozūras
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
"A set of people does not make a team."

This book is a deftly organised collection of interviews with tech leads. It's arranged around four main topics: People, Tech, Business and You. Interviewees have a varied palette of experience. There are answers from developers who stepped into the role recently. And there are answers from veteran tech leads who've seen and dealt with various situations.

Responses do get a bit repetitive after a while. Nor did Talking with Tech Leads manage to surprise me.
Garry Marshall
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Pat has done an excellent job collecting and organising the thoughts of 35 people on how to be a Technical Lead.

The book is well-organised around a number of themes and I found it very easy to read and to 'dip into' for some inspiration / ideas.

This is a book that I have 'needed' for a long time, I would recommend it to any developer making the transition to a 'lead' role within their team / org.
Kiana
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is a great read for anyone wondering what it's like to be a tech lead, and whether they have what it takes. The great news is nearly everyone has what it takes, as long as they take a pragmatic approach to the role.

This book is wonderful because it marries pragmatism with the subjective perspectives of new and seasoned tech leads. The underlying message is sobering and thus, reassuringly optimistic: no one is perfect; discover your weaknesses and shore them up.
Dennis
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
This book is a well-curated collection of interviews with developers who have found themselves in the role of a tech lead, both first-timers and veterans. By giving many different people a voice, Pat illuminates very different aspects and insights into this kind of role and its challenges, especially for people who really like to code. It is a quick and enjoyable read that I can recommend to anyone who finds themselves in a leadership role -- or having a peer becoming "one of them" ;-)
Adam Fortuna
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've been interested in managing other developers for a while and read quite a few books trying to continually get better at it (still learning!). This one offered quite a few new takes on this topic. The format of the book includes interviews with tech leads in various states of their career, with similar questions asked to each. Some had better takeaways than others, but the collective similarities also highlighted things I need to work more on.

• Accelerate: Building and Scaling High-Performing Technology Organizations
  • Effective Java Programming Language Guide
  • Designing Data-Intensive Applications
  • The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win
  • Thinking in Systems: A Primer
  • The DevOps Handbook: How to Create World-Class Agility, Reliability, and Security in Technology Organizations
  • Uncanny Valley
  • Software Architecture for Developers: Volume 2 - Visualise, document and explore your software architecture
  • 37 Things One Architect Knows
  • One Up On Wall Street: How to Use What You Already Know to Make Money in the Market
  • Startup Life: Surviving and Thriving in a Relationship with an Entrepreneur

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“The Tech Lead brings value by enabling everyone on the team to contribute code as much as possible; by avoiding rewrites due to people working in different ways; by managing technical debt to make it easier to add code, and by promoting relationships between the development group and business colleagues to ensure the code addresses business goals and delivers true value. As a leader, you enable others to do their work; you harmonise and thereby maximise the efforts of the entire group, not just an individual.” 0 likes
“The time you spend honing your development skills, such as seeing patterns in code, refactoring code to be easier to maintain or extend, and writing tests does little to prepare skills in resolving conflict, establishing a team culture, or communicating technology in ways that non-technical people can understand.” 0 likes