Start by marking “Horizon” as Want to Read:
Horizon

Horizon

Thirty-four light years from Earth, the explorer ship Magellan is nearing its objective - the Iota Persei system. But when ship commander Cait Dyson wakes from deepsleep, she finds her co-pilot dead and the ship's AI unresponsive. Cait works with the rest of her multinational crew to regain control of the ship, until they learn that Earth is facing total environmental coll ...more
Published November 1st 2014 by HarperCollins Voyager Impulse

To ask other readers questions about Horizon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Horizon

Start your review of Horizon
Richard Saar
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
From the Internet Book Review

Horizon is Keith Stevenson’s debut novel and what a debut it turns out to be. As a fairly prolific reader and slightly (read: lots) less prolific book reviewer, the frustrated author inside me wishes that my first book will be this slick… err.. if I ever get around to writing one that is.

Set in the relatively near future as human kind is just starting to explore interstellar space we are introduced to the crew of the deep space
Brid-Aine
Nov 10, 2014 rated it liked it
The most likely way for humans to first travel beyond the Solar System is through some form of hibernation, most often referred to in sci-fi as deepsleep. The prospect is rife with dramatic potential for a good book – what would it be like to be the same age and yet years older than friends and family, or to never see them, or anyone else, ever again?

What Horizon does very well is take the whole idea in a new direction. What if you went to sleep when the world was at a politically precarious pea
Koeur
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was ok

Publisher: Harper Collins

Publishing Date: November 2014

ISBN: 9781460704653

Genre: SciFi

Rating: 2.4/5

Publisher Description: Thirty-four light years from Earth, the explorer ship Magellan is nearing its objective – the Iota Persei system. But when ship commander Cait Dyson wakes from deepsleep, she finds her co-pilot dead and the ship’s AI unresponsive. Cait works with the rest of her multinational crew to regain control of the ship, until they learn that E
Alan Baxter
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fine SF thriller with echoes of HAL, William Gibson and Peter Watts. Stevenson's debut novel is an absolute cracker. ...more
Mark Webb
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Horizon is the debut novel of author Keith Stevenson. Stevenson has been active in the Australian speculative fiction scene as a publisher through his small press Coeur de Lion Publishing, which has developed a reputation for publishing some excellent fiction (the anthology X6, for instance, collected a swag of awards). He has had several short stories published, but Horizon is his first novel length work. It has been published by HarperVoyager digital imprint Impulse.

The story centres on humani
Tsana Dolichva
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Horizon by Keith Stevenson is a science fiction novel set in the medium future, mostly on a spaceship that's been sent to investigate the hopefully habitable planet Horizon and it's stellar system. I'm not really sure why the planet is on fire on the cover.

I had no specific expectations for this novel and ended up enjoying it quite a bit. Honestly my least favourite part was the opening because of all the vomiting (I am a touch emetophobic) but after that was done with it was smooth sailing. I q
S.B. Wright
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Keith Stevenson’s Horizon was released through HarperCollins’ digital imprint in November. Keith’s been a stalwart of the Australian speculative fiction scene for many a year, mainly in his editor/publisher role at Coeur de lion publishing. So it’s good to see him surface with this product from one of the majors.

Horizon is Keith’s debut novel. How has he fared, stepping away from short fiction and editing/publishing the longer works of others?

Very well I believe.

In my reading at least, I have p
Wayne Mccracken
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of SciFi and Who-done-its
What I want in a good sci-fi novel is an interesting story (usually set in the future), that has interesting characters, and that is plausible and doesn't excessively conflict with currently understood science. This book has all of these features. Two thumbs up!!

Caution, spoilers below . . .

A who-done-it that takes place 35 light years from earth on the first ship to leave earth's solar system. They are traveling at 0.6 c towards another solar system with a possibly habitable planet named Horizo
Amy Softa
Oct 07, 2014 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book from the publisher through Net Galley for a honest review.

While I didn’t find myself getting totally engrossed and swept away by this story, I did enjoy it. There was just something about it that kept me removed from what was going on. The pacing, the descriptions, or maybe the main character. It was an interesting story that I am glad I read, but I didn’t love it.

So lets start with what I did enjoy about the story. I liked the questions the story brought up more
Rob Bleckly
Nov 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Starts with a bang but ends with a whimper. The pace from the outset is relentless and the tension builds as the mystery of the crew death in the opening deepens with each twist.

There's minor hiccup early - the crew already at odds with each other, woken early, one dead, the ships AI missing then one of them sits back to wonder what's happening back on earth. I could see the need to introduce the information that ensues but it broke the tension and threw out me out of the story.

The real strengt
Kevin
Oct 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Awakened after 40+ years asleep during a trip to a distant planet, one of the crew dead and the onboard ships computer going a bit nutty - things just aren't going according to plan.

I enjoyed this book, it checked all the right boxes for me, sci-fi, limited scope so I can keep up with the characters without 17 follow-up books and a good strong story.

The characters were interesting and I did enjoy the story - I'd be interested in a follow-up, perhaps based on earth so we can see whats happening t
Henry Lazarus
Nov 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Keith Stevenson tells of a scientific expedition to the possible inhabited planet of Horizon (ebook from AUS Impulse) that takes forty-five years for a crew in deep sleep. But on the outskirts of the new solar system, the crew awakens to find one member dead and the A. I. guidance system crippled. A course change sent from Earth has code designed to destroy their ship. Cait Dyson, Mission Leader of The Magellan not only has to deal with the internal politics of her small crew, including one mem ...more
Matthew
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Book description: Thirty-four light years from Earth, the explorer ship Magellan is nearing its objective – the Iota Persei system. But when ship commander Cait Dyson wakes from deepsleep, she finds her co-pilot dead and the ship’s AI unresponsive. Cait works with the rest of her multinational crew to regain control of the ship, until they learn that Earth is facing total environmental collapse and their mission must change if humanity is to survive.

Review:

It has been awhile since I read a decen
Dave Versace
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Tense drama set in the claustrophobic confines of a scientific survey ship on its way to explore the earthlike planet Horizon. The expedition commander Cait Dyson wakes from hypersleep to immediate catastrophe, and things only get worse from there as the bodies stack up and paranoia and misplaced loyalties grip the crew. Horizon is a tight, stuffy book that dwells on the mistrust, stress and mistakes that tear a team apart just when it needs to pull together. There's several mysteries layered in ...more
Kate
An intriguing premise - a crew sleeps its way to a distant planet while Earth's political status quo collapses, leaving the crew members to deal with the consequences when they wake up. Tense and fraught.

Kira
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Horizon opens with a great hook - Cait awakes from deep sleep to find her co-pilot dead and the Magellan's AI unresponsive. Another member of the crew is also awake, but quickly passes out. Along with the remaining crew members, Cait needs to find out why they've been woken early, what happened to her co-pilot, and finish the mission - to reach the planet Horizon - she set out on almost fifty Earth years earlier. But Earth has changed in ways they couldn't have predicted, meaning both politics, ...more
Corinne
Dec 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Horizon starts off quickly with the commander of a deep-space science vessel, Cait, being awoken from deep-sleep to find one crewmate dead and another injured. A mystery unfolds in the likes of a space-thriller with suspicions abound and none of the cast completely in the clear of being a suspect. Unfortunately, this thriller aspect begins to unravel early on into a slower-paced political/ethics conflict storyline. While this turn led to some good points of contention, the slow pace never really ...more
Hel
Oct 08, 2016 rated it did not like it
I am sorry, but it has to be said: This text would not have been accepted by any publisher in Europe. Its deficencies cannot by healed by editing.

The author doesn't know how to build up scenes and set focus. When you finally figure out after dozens of pages that there are four people in a spaceship, the next problem appears: Not one single idea.

The spaceship has no technology I don't have in my livingroom. The Earth has that tired supremacy superpower narration going on.

Thirdly, the author has a
Amanda Bridgeman
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was an engaging read that offered a nice mix of science/tech aspects, good character development, and an interesting plot with plenty of twists and turns. It also opened up an interesting dialogue about society, politics and the environment. It kept me turning the pages, and got me thinking. I thoroughly enjoyed it. A recommended read.
Kazie

• Freaks I've Met
  • Thirteen Ways of Looking
  • Fear of Flying
  • The Book of Tomorrow
  • Resistance Reborn (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #1)
  • The Happy Numbers of Julius Miles
  • Interference (Semiosis Duology, #2)
  • Most Wanted (Star Wars)
  • Stone Junction: An Alchemical Pot-Boiler
  • Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
  • The Dice Man
  • The Big Nine: How the Tech Titans and Their Thinking Machines Could Warp Humanity
  • In the Midst of Winter
  • Abbey Road to Ziggy Stardust
  • The Fat Woman's Joke
I'm a speculative fiction writer, editor and publisher, and reviewer born in Scotland and now living in Wollongong NSW.

My short fiction has appeared in Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine, Aurealis Magazine, Oceans of the Mind and the Agog! Press anthology Agog! Fantastic Fiction.

I'm probably best known for being editor of Aurealis - Australian Science Fiction and Fantasy Magazine from 2001 to 2