Start by marking “Where Did You Sleep Last Night” as Want to Read:
Where Did You Sleep Last Night

Where Did You Sleep Last Night

Lynn Crosbie's new novel is a fantastical love story about a teenage girl who embarks on a relationship with the dead spirit of Kurt Cobain.

Evelyn Gray is a miserable sixteen-year-old girl from Carnation, Washington, who is in love with Kurt Cobain. When Evelyn is taken to the hospital after a drug overdose, Cobain's spirit reanimates itself in the body of a young man who
Published May 2nd 2015 by House of Anansi Press (first published April 4th 2015)

Rebecca McNutt
This is one of the weirdest but most undoubtedly different novels I've ever read. When mopey teenager Evelyn overdoses and ends up in the hospital, she earns an imaginary friend, the spirit of Kurt Cobain, who has possessed a man in the bed beside hers. When they run away together and fall in love, they find music, friendship, fame and - murder. Things quickly take a downward spiral for Evelyn and she finds that maybe this is not the life she truly wants. Where Did You Sleep Last Night is surrea ...more
Stacy Fetters
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"You're like a firefly in a jar, I say holding her cold hand. She squeezes mine and I fall asleep with my head bent to hers: when we meet in dreams, she runs to me, bares her breast, and peels back the skin to show me her small frantic heart."
Received at BEA Chicago.
This was one of the best books I have received that weekend.
All through this book, I felt that I was locked in a room, blindfolded, one arm tied behind my back and asked to put a puzzle together. All while taking the biggest trip
Big Al
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: canadian, 2017
Cracked out Kurt Cobain fanfic. I was expecting a trainwreck, but there were some surprisingly tender and poetic moments in here amidst the madness
Sherri
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-releases
Lately, Twitter has been my favorite place to find new book titles. When Margaret Atwood tweeted about this book, I knew I had to read it. This is one of the craziest, most original stories I've ever read. Kurt Cobain would be one month younger than me if he were alive today. This book isn't exactly about him, but, well, you just have to read it to understand. While this story is part fantasy, part fan-fiction/part poetry, it's really the story of two young people who's lives were ruined by hero ...more
Kaitlyn
Jan 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book was nearly impossible to follow, and read like either one long heroin trip OR like a 16 year old girl's diary. There is one interesting event near the end, but it doesn't fit with the rest of the book whatsoever. And the realization at the end of the book will make you wish you didn't slog through the entire thing.
Naima
** I received this book through NetGalley and House of Anansi in exchange for an honest review**

Well, what can I say? This book was a train wreck- and, after about 25%, not even one entertaining to watch. I think the majority of my updates about this book contained the words 'too much' because, at a point, it just became so much. The narrative is confusing, there's literally no conflict to resolve for the entire middle section of the book, and Celine and Evelyn's abusive relationship is fine bec
Tifany
Dec 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
Am I the only one who wanted to love this book but did not?
Galadriel Watson
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Can't quite decide whether to "like it" or "really like it" with my stars. I admit I barely understood it, but was still oddly fascinated with the ride.
Steph VanderMeulen
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I wanted to do a thorough, good post about this book, but it seems that I can't find the time to blog. Still, though it's been a few months now since I finished Where Did You Sleep Last Night, by Lynn Crosbie, I haven't forgotten it and I'm at least going to write a few words here because it's stuck with me, as Lynn's books (and photos) do.

First: Read the synopsis if you want to know what the book is about.

Second, you should know that Crosbie is a huge fan of Cobain, which makes this all the mor
E
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lit, 2015
When I first heard that Lynn Crosbie was writing a book where Courtney Love was the Queen of Heaven I knew I was in for a treat. I waited and waited for it to be published, even dreaming about it once, and wasn't disappointed when it finally came out. Crosbie totally taps into the Kurt/Courtney mythology but the book isn't hagiographic - how could it be? - and the result is a sharp, funny, elegant and messy book that was totally worth the wait.
Kristina Leonard
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kristina by: Sherri Barksdale
Being a huge Kurt Cobain/Nirvana fan, the description of this one appealed to me---after a miserable teen from Washington winds up in a hospital after a drug overdose, she meets a guy who appears to be the reincarnation of Cobain. What comes next seems like a crazy fever dream of Cobain's real life, fanfiction, and just entertaining writing.
Clelia
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wildly inventive, weird, sexy, and absurd yet heartfelt -- this novel is an fan fiction masterpiece. A must-read for anyone with a crush on Kurt Cobain.
Sarah (asongofpagesandwords)
DNF I tired so hard to get into it but this was just so convoluted and unfocused
ashley  lloyd spanton
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Originally posted on CityGirlScapes.com

A book about Kurt Cobain, with Nirvana song lyrics and so much hype that I saw this beautiful cover everywhere in Toronto this summer? Where Did You Sleep Last Night by Lynn Crosbie was everything I knew I needed. But after reading it, only one phrase comes to mind: What a trip.

I don’t even know where to start, or how to describe it. I’m ashamed to say it took me a while to find my footing in this weird magical mix between angsty teenage poetry (
Angela Murat
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was AMAZING.

What an original narrative and such a unique point of view to read from! The writing is so poetic and so artistic... so raw and truthful. The author doesn't try to sugarcoat or sensor anything, everything is so brutally honest. The two main characters, Evelyn and Celene, are so pure and their love is so real. I felt their connection from the start and whenever something happened between them, I could feel their anger because of how powerful their love is. Although they are brok
Dar
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book incorporates everything I loved as a teenage reader: drugs and danger, pathos, poetry, derangement of the senses, the pure and the profane. It is an experimental storm of language and imagery that brings to my mind Jim Carroll (an acknowledged influence), Patti Smith, Francesca Lia Block and Holly Black (Modern Faerie Tales), Hunter S. Thompson and William S. Bourroughs.

As a starting point, it takes an abused girl and her love for Kurt Cobain, and how it becomes reality, despite his de
Cindy
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
totally addictive, fucked up whirlwind.
It violent, crude, offensive, uncomfortable and at the same time charming and you can't put it down.
If you look at it like a doped up dream, then the plot kind of makes sense, otherwise it's a jumbled mess, but a beautiful mess.
Evelyn's relationship with Celine, mirrors Kurt and Courtney's marriage and their most scandalous rumors in a way in which I actually thought was very sympathetic to Courtney and sheds light on the hate she unfairly receives to thi
Ryan
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I saw Nirvana play in 1993 on what must have been their last tour. I was a fan. I was also a fan of Hole - Teenage Whore was a banger. Hole in concert circa 1994-5 was a force to be reckoned with. Being familiar with the (vague) subject matter, I didn't know what to expect of this book, ostensibly about K. Cobain in some way... This did not feel as much like a novel as a visceral-thought-car-pile-up-bullit-mashup. In the acknowledgements, you get an idea of the pop culture references in the book ...more
Anna
Dec 07, 2015 rated it liked it
What a book. What a trip. Truly, distressingly weird - the kind of book where the writing is so purposefully scattered that you're not actually sure what happened at some of the crucial parts, which is, for me, a negative. Crosbie writes this novel like a poet - at times, this is a beautiful thing. Other times, it's tough - her sections are short, and she jumps from idea to idea exceptionally fast. And her foreshadowing is too heavy-handed - there are warning sentences sprinkled liberally throug ...more
Chris devine
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
holy shit! I don't know what the hell I just read, but I loved it. This book is some kind of drug addled poets fan fiction about kurt cobain, and she somehow got it published. And for that I am grateful.
Susan Birrell
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
I like to think I am pretty open minded when it comes to reading many different genres of books, but wow this one had me baffled. I was intrigued by the style of writing that left so many possible ways to interpret the story, but I was also confused as to how to follow what was going on.....if that makes any sense. ??
I got desperation, addiction, loss, sadness and love from this book. Would I recommend this book? ....probably not. Maybe? I think my review is just as confusing as the book!
Austin
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
With a lifetime of horrendous decisions I believe attempting to read VC Andrews during the first onset of major depression was one of my worst. This piece also caught me at a bad time in the midst of an existential crisis. Imagine Chuck Palahniuk and Irvine Welsh collaborating on the novelization of Reuben and Cherise and you have this national treasure. I just hope she plans on writing many more novels because she's the best thing to come out of Canada since Margaret Atwood and Justin Trudeau.
Neil McKenzie-Sutter
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Will write a more detailed review later but I'm pretty busy right now. Recommend this book though!!!
Samiam037
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I still can't say why, but I loved this story.
Elizabeth Roberts-Zibbel
Lucy M
Apr 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
When I say that I “read” this book- I mean that I tried. Then I tried again. And then I tried, one more time, to get past the first few chapters. I couldn’t. What am I missing here??? All I’m catching is incoherent rambling and nonsensical, run on sentences.
Crosbie, by all reports, is a fantastic author. So I’m decidedly disappointed by my first introduction.
Marnie Zorn
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Didn't finish.. I don't mind this type of writing style but there didn't seem to be much of a story happening..
Emma
Mar 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelving this one. Obviously I have started this at the wrong time or something. I can't seem to get into this one. It reads exactly like a 16 year old girl's diary.... on drugs. I can't get into the flow of the words and everything is kind of discombobulated (which being the drugs makes the sense.) Right now I cannot give anyone a recommendation on this unless Nirvana (the band), weird drug trips and swoony teenagers is right up your alley. Kinda bummed right now. Maybe on the re-read it will b ...more
Jen
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
I don't know. I finished it... About half way through it became an actual novel I could read and understand. Before that it was just dreamlike incoherent rambling where I couldn't follow what was actual and what was drug induced. I understand that style was trying to represent the actual heroin use, but it was just irritating and exhausting to me to read. But, once I got half way through it was an OK story. I might just simply be too literal for this book.
The Book Girl
Oct 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
Trigger warning: This book involves drug use, violent sex, and sexual rape. Please read at your own risk.

I want to start this review by stating that I went into this book with a bit of bias. I was unaware of this books content when I requested it for review. When I read that it was supposed to be about the dead spirit of Kurt Cobain I was hesitant. I am so glad I read this book. It was really good. With that said lets move on with my review.

I am not a fan of fan fiction normally, in some ways

• Pedal
  • Martin John
  • Arvida
  • Sing a Worried Song (Arthur Beauchamp, #6)
  • We'll All Be Burnt in Our Beds Some Night
  • Close to Spider Man
  • The Hanging of Angelique: The Untold Story of Canadian Slavery and the Burning of Old Montreal
  • Willem De Kooning's Paintbrush
  • The Pemmican Eaters
  • À ciel ouvert
  • The Douglas Notebooks
  • The Animals in That Country
Lynn Crosbie is a Canadian poet and novelist. She teaches at the University of Toronto.

She received her Ph.D in English from the University of Toronto, writing her thesis on the work of the American poet Anne Sexton.

Crosbie has lectured on and written about visual art at the AGO, the Power Plant, and OCAD University (where she taught for six years.) She is an award-winning journalist and regular c
“Then my outrage wandered away: never do junk if you need to finish thoughts, sentences, or simple tasks.” 0 likes