Start by marking “Getting Lucky Number Seven (Taking Shots, #1)” as Want to Read:
Getting Lucky Number Seven (Taking Shots, #1)

Getting Lucky Number Seven

(Taking Shots #1)

What's your lucky number?

Lyla Wilder is done being the shy, chemistry nerd extraordinaire. While every other college student is out having fun, Lyla is studying. With her cat. Well, she's played it "safe" quite enough, thank you. So she creates a "College Bucket List"―with item #7 being a night of uninhibited, mind-blowing sex...

But she needs some help from her man-whore b
Published April 28th 2015 by Entangled: Embrace

To ask other readers questions about Getting Lucky Number Seven, please sign up.
Jessica Nope, there is no cheating from either of the main characters in this book.
Taking Shots by Toni AleoThe Deal by Elle KennedyTrying to Score by Toni AleoEmpty Net by Toni AleoSee Jane Score by Rachel Gibson
Best Hockey Romance
441 books — 882 voters
The Deal by Elle KennedyThe Mistake by Elle KennedyPucked by Helena HuntingAlex by Sawyer BennettHim by Sarina Bowen
Hockey Hunks
340 books — 470 voters

More lists with this book...

Pearl Angeli
2 Stars

I am not against books with cliché themes and storylines as long as they're well-delivered and written in an alluring way, but this book just didn't do it. The best friends turned lovers and friends with benefits tropes weren't done in a way that made me swoon or fall in love with the characters.

Getting Lucky Number Seven follows the characters Lyla Wilder and Beck Davemport, both chemistry students of the same university and class. Their friendship started when they became lab partners.
Denisa
Nov 14, 2016 rated it liked it
This one was pretty cute.

I admit, it's nothing memorable or anything like that. It's the typical friends-to-lovers kind of book (and I admit, I'm not a huge fan of those).
Still, it was a sweet, fast read. Nothing too complicated, it was a kind of fast-food like book: satisfying for the moment but in two days, you won't be able to tell one hamburger from the other.
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
I couldn’t even talk to my best friend about the guy I was having sex with. Because, silly me, I’d gone and made them the same person.

Ya know, once again I’m plagued by the reviews stating this is the same old same old, there’s nothing new, it’s cliché, etc…and yet again I find this to be wrong. Why do I find this to be wrong? Well, there are so many reasons I can’t even begin to explain them.

"I’m sure you were a little disappointed when you found out I was your assigned chem partner.”
“Wel
~ Stéphanie ~ Tied up in Romance ~
3.5 Stars

description

That was a real pleasant read. Unfortunately for this book, it reminds me too much of The Deal who was a perfect read for me last month. Maybe I should space my friends to lovers books a little.

description

What's more to say than the blurb didn't. Lyla Wilder is a nerd, she is a college girl who spends her time working for school and having no fun. She hides herself behind clothes too big for her and she talks about her cat all the damn time!
In one word, she is

description

One day, she decides it's time to act
Sabrina
Get it here:
Amazon US * Amazon UK

This was a cute college friends-to-lovers romance. It was a pretty light story which I found enjoyable and the tone of the book fit perfectly with these characters.
Didi
I really liked this, it was a combo of sweet and serious that never became over-dramatic or overly angsty. It did have some emotional angst but with the subject being friends to lovers, it's expected. I thought Beck was a great guy. He was so supportive and accepting of Lyla when almost everyone wasn't.
I loved how he saw beyond her long skirts and concealing scarves. His reaction to her makeover was almost comical, I loved it!

Lyla was also a quirky, yet cute heroine. She had hang-ups and issues
Mandy
4.5 stars! I really enjoyed this story! Lyla and Beck have been best friends ever since they met in a chemistry class. Beck is a popular hockey player who doesn't really do relationships and Lyla is a nerd who dresses in layers and covers herself up. After a night out with a sort of blind date who she overhears call her fugly, Lyla decides to make some changes in her appearance and get more out of her college experience by making a bucket list.

My favorite things about this book:

1. The friends t
Ash
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's over already!? this book is super cute!!! and it's definitely a rec for anyone wanting a carefree, lighthearted, silly and beautiful story :)
Wil Loves Books!
What an awesome friends to lovers, NA, sports romance! Loved everything about this one!
NMmomof4
3 Stars

Overall Opinion: This was cute for what it was. And hey! It's free on Amazon right now, so there is that too 😜 I was in the mood for a college athlete story, and this was just that. I also appreciated the fact that the athlete was a closet nerd and worked well with the nerdy h. My biggest complaint has to be the lack of an ending for these two. I need my closure! This fits perfectly into what I call a "Happy For Now" ending, because there are no real answers about their future. I also di
Michelle
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
ARC provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review

She's a nerd and has a hot hockey man whore best friend. SOLD!!! So if you love those best friends to lover romance, then I think you might enjoy this sweet and fun book of a young woman crossing off her bucket list of reinventing herself. Say goodbye to the shy nerdy girl and say hello to the sexy bombshell who is willing to let hair down and have some fun in college with the help of her best friend. So when Lyla reinvents herself, will
Alex ♈
Le nostalgie

NA is way out of my age, but sometimes I yearn for my 20ties…

The book is very well written, not many immature moments, likable MCs.

I didn’t like that there was no immediate spark between them as they met. He did continue to sleep with OWs and she had a bf. But after they realized their attraction there was no one else.

Actually, the main trope is not right – she wanted to change her looks, so the boys would see her. Wrong!
But they understand it much later, who knows in his/her 20es t
Muse-ic ♬
Apr 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: scootilypooping
3.5 stars.
'Twas a cute book, albeit clichéd. The typical friends to friends with benefits to couple.

Good girl Lyla decides that she needs to spice up her college life, so she comes up with a list of things she needs to do: a college bucket list.

This list includes things like getting drunk, making out with a stranger, get a tattoo, and ,of course, the inevitable mind-blowing sex.
And to her convenience, Lyla's best friend is a man-whore jock (Beck). Who better to help her accomplish this?

It was a
Sheryl C. Nash
*4.5 stars*

Was it wrong that I wanted MORE angst and for Beck to be a BIGGER man-whore/douche???

Review to come...

*ARC courtesy of Netgalley and Entangled Publishing*
Cyndi
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A cute friends to lovers romance. Our heroine has decided to climb out of her protective shell and discover her sexuality. So she goes to her best friend who happens to be a rich, handsome jock. As someone who was often friend-zoned by the cute guys, I can relate.
After she does the whole make over montage our hero begins to see her hotness and romance ensues.
Jamie
4 Perfect Chemistry Stars!

I really enjoyed this one! A sweet story about a cute nerd girl ready to do things she's never done before and her sexy hockey player best guy friend that's going to help her open and enjoy life.. one bucket list item at a time...

Lyla is kind of a nerd girl.. and she has been hiding behind layers of clothes and aloofness for quite a while now. Ever since her and her ex broke up life has been pretty boring. She does have friends and goes out.. but she's not having any
✦ Maica ✦
After being called fugly and boring during a group date, Lyla Wilder has had enough. College is one of the best times of her life and she is done wasting it being the nice girl with the perfect grades and the boring personality. To help with her transformation, she creates a list of things she needs to accomplish because the semester ends.
1. New edgier look
2. Do a keg stand (Remember to not wear a skirt that night)
3. Make out with a beautiful stranger (Exact level of making out TBD as the kissin
Jilly
May 08, 2015 rated it liked it
This book is cute and funny. The main characters, Lyla and Beck are really likable and well-written. The only problem I had with the book? I'm not quite sure that I believe they would have become best friends just because they were lab partners in Chemistry. He's a total jock hockey player, and she is a conservative nerd. They would have done their homework and moved on. It wasn't that believable. But, if you accept the friendship premise of the book, it is a very fun story. Personally, I though ...more
Paige
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars!

Getting Lucky Number Seven has me in stitches from the start. I laughed out loud and had a perma-grin. This was a very well written and well executed NA story of friends becoming lovers. Both the hero and heroine were endearing. I looked that neither had so many issues that it dragged down the story but was a realistic (for the most part) look at overcoming insecurities in college.

I did think the ending kind of just fizzled out compared to the rest of the story. Not that it was bad, i
Michelle
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
**You can see this full review and more at Book Briefs: http://bookbriefs.net** NA Review

My Thoughts
4.5/5

Getting Lucky Number Seven is my favorite kind of new adult contemporary romance. I love the flirty nature of the friends to something more trope, I love the URST, I love nerdy humor, and I love a good college bucket list. So I knew this book was meant to be for me. And I loved it just as much as I was expecting to. It was such a fun read. I was so sure that I would love this book that I signed up for two blogs
Danielle (Love at First Page)
3-3.5 stars

Getting Lucky Number Seven is a fun and carefree New Adult romance. It has a couple of my favorite tropes - best friends to more, nerdy girl wins the boy who said he'd never commit - and it's blissfully low on drama. I really enjoyed being inside both Beck and Lyla's heads; they are engaging and relatable characters, not without insecurities or vulnerabilities but they're not weighed down by emotional baggage either. Lyla wants to step out of her comfort zone and complete a college bu
Ivy Deluca
Lyla Wilder, chemistry major and nerdy awkward girl, is best friends with Beck Davenport, hottie hockey player and closet nerd. Lyla’s tired of being seen as just the nerd, and decides to create her own college bucket list of things she wants to do, to be bold and enjoy herself. And Beck’s liked her just as she is, but as she decides to live (a little) on the wild side, he's determined to protect her. Along the way, romance happens.

The Good, The Bad and Everything In Between

- Light, fun read : T
Camila, the opinionated Catruler

I don't have time to write a review. I don't have time to read, for God's sake.

Anyway, this is a very good New Adult. Not an excellent NA, like The Deal. But still a very good one that makes me want to continue the series. And you know what? I'll take that, thank you very much.
Nadine
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports, hockey, n-a
3.5 Stars

I know it's not fair to compare two books but "Getting lucky number seven" reminds me a lot of "The Deal" by Elle Kennedy.
'The Deal' is a all around (nearly) perfect NA novel and a hard competition for every other book in this genre.

'Getting lucky number seven' is a sweet story about a nerdy girl and her hot man slut best friend who plays hockey for the college's team. Everyone who reads NA novels knows exactly what will happen but this predictable plot is not what didn't work for me
XxTainaxX
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
A naughty list and a hot best friend to check off items with. Lyla wants the "college experience" and Beck is just the man to give it to her. This adventure is great. I'm picky with new adult and this one was fun and interesting. Let's just say she makes up for lost time in a spectacular way!
Valerie
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Here's the thing, I read a lot and it's a new and wonderful thing when a book does something different. Yeah, I love those falling for your best-friend books. Who doesn't but it's almost always about one of the other who's been in love forever with the man/women whore other one. Something happens and they figure out they love each other. Yes, I enjoy them along the way but they feel all the same. Not this one. This one was different. This one was BETTER.

First, these two haven't been besties for
Bev
So, I went in to this after reading The Deal and The Mistake and maybe that's why I was rather underwhelmed, those two books are in a league of their own. Maybe I would have liked it more had I read Getting Lucky first, or waited a while to read it. I loved the idea of this story and was sucked in by the blurb but sadly it didn't quite hit the mark.

I do love a good friends to lovers story when it's done well. For me this didn't quite hit the mark because if they had just communicated with each
Nancy❤The❤Bookaholic
~~4.5 HEARTS~~

description

Aww this was a great book. I really enjoyed it. Both the hero and heroine were very likable and the story just flowed easily. This is one that I would definitely 're-read'. I did want more though. It did feel like it just ended so suddenly. Overall a solid 4.5 stars.
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Slick's review posted on Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

Wow, Cindi Madsen just popped me right out of my book reading slump with Getting Lucky Number Seven! Yes this falls under the New Adult genre as these characters are in college but they are more mature than normal college students for different reasons. Best friends since they were assigned each other as lab partners shy, bookworm, kind of nerdy Lyla is partnered with self assured, sexy, hockey star Beck, but as the year goes on and after a p
Ida
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Getting Lucky Number Seven is a fun and fast paced read. Super cliche with no surprises, you know- the typical friends-turned-lovers story, but its well written. ...more

• Carry Me Home (Off the Map, #3.1)
  • What If (If Only..., #2)
  • No Falling Allowed (No Kissing Allowed #2)
  • Kissing Her Crush (Sugar City, #2)
  • He's Come Undone
  • Breakaway (Corrigan Falls Raiders, #4)
  • Breakaway Hearts (Kelly Brothers, #2)
  • Flirting on Ice (Atlantic City Hustlers, #1)
  • Shut Out (Bayard Hockey, #1)
  • Third Degree
  • Risky Surrender (Take a Risk, #2)
  • Letting Go (Love on Campus #1)
  • Heart On Ice
  • Her Hot Number
  • Seven Day Fiancé (Love and Games, #2)
  • The Mean Girl Apologies
  • The Fifteenth Minute (The Ivy Years, #5)
Cindi Madsen is a USA Today Bestselling author of contemporary romance and young adult novels. She sits at her computer every chance she gets, plotting revising, and falling in love with her characters. Sometimes it makes her a crazy person. Without it, she’d be even crazier. She has way too many shoes, but can always find a reason to buy a new pretty pair, especially if they’re sparkly, colorful, ...more

Taking Shots (4 books)
  • Anatomy of a Player (Taking Shots, #2)
  • Crazy Pucking Love (Taking Shots, #3)
  • Confessions of a Former Puck Bunny
“When I look at you, you know what I see?"
I met her gaze, finding it suddenly hard to breathe.
"I see the guy who saw me when no one else did," she said. "That's what matters to me. That's who you are.”
6 likes
“Let's get you into a room and conduct our own chemistry experiment," he said against my lips.
"Or maybe we'll just find a table to bend you over, since chemists do it on a table... periodically."
"Mmm. I love it when you talk nerdy to me.”
4 likes