Start by marking “Lucille” as Want to Read:
Lucille

Lucille

(Lucille #1)

LUCILLE es un vivo retrato de uno de los problemas clave entre la juventud actual: la anorexia y el autorechazo. De la mano de un joven Debeurme, consolidado ya como una de las grandes promesas de la “nouvelle B.D.” francesa, esta cautivadora novela gráfica nos acerca a la vida de una adolescente cuyo mencionado problema y una baja autoestima dificultan su relación con los ...more
Published May 2007 by Norma (first published June 13th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Lucille, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucille

Start your review of Lucille
Raina
Lucille is an anorexic French girl living an isolated life.
Arthur is the son of a drunken Polish fisherman who likes to psych out his classmates with stories about Satan.

Our story starts kind of slowly (although with 544 pages to work with, you might as well take your time), but once the connections get made, things just GO. It broke my heart to watch these two damaged kids try to come of age during so much trauma. In some ways I wish it was YA-safe, as I know many teens would connect. But I'd n
David Schaafsma
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gn-european
Terrific book, very sparely done, and the characters and their stories come together in such interesting ways. We come to care for the characters a great deal in all their damage and vulnerability and strength and humor. Not much humor, admittedly, as these are fragile, troubled teens. Complex and not easy to like, but ultimately very likeable, and their spare stories are served by the spare style. First in three books, Renee next, and I will be reading, for sure. I am mystified by low reviews a ...more
Anya (~on a semi-hiatus~)
Sparse and very Jeffrey Brown-ish when it comes to the art (I don't like Jeffrey B, btw) but it was very realistic how anorexia was portrayed. I might read the second volume because I am curious about what happens next.
Dov Zeller
Apr 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphics-comics
Caution: plot elements revealed in this review.

"Lucille" is the first in a series of graphic novels by French artist Ludovic Dubuerme. It's an epic tale of two tragic teens who suffer from family turmoil and feel out of place in the world until they find each other and make a desperate, brave and awkward attempt to escape. Of course they carry their baggage with them and very soon after leaving home have to contend with not only their own demons, but also a cartoonishly evil brother-sister team.
Dani Shuping
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
ARC provided by netGalley

Lucille is a young, awkward teenage girl in high school who is not quite sure of herself. She just wants to be normal like everyone else and her one childhood doll. But alas, Lucille thinks she's ugly and is slowly dying from anorexia. She wants to become so thin she doesn't even exist anymore. And into the picture enters Arthur (also known as Vladimir), whose plagued by OCD, convinces others to worship Satan, and whose father is a drunk fisherman who ends up killing him
Kirsten
Feb 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Mixed feelings about this one. I really liked the artwork, and I found portions of the plot captivating. However, I'm not sure how I felt about it as a whole.

Lucille is a teenage girl with anorexia. She is not doing too much to survive (she gains weight in the hospital, then takes it off again as soon as she is unsupervised) until she meets a teenage boy named Arthur. Arthur has his own problems: his relationship with his alcoholic father is very troubled. Arthur resorts to obsessive-compulsive
Rick
Jul 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
The English language debut of the lauded French cartoonist Debeurme, Lucille chronicles the parallel lives of troubled teens Lucille and Arthur. Both living with dysfunctional families, the former suffers from anorexia. The latter, a burgeoning schizophrenic, struggles with the legacy of an alcoholic, prideful father. Debeurme's simplistic and elegant art slowly unveils these complex characters, deftly maneuvering them into a meeting. A powerful connection emerges as the duo travel across Europe ...more
S̶e̶a̶n̶
Jun 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, comix

Beautifully rendered but problematic in some of its plot points. It's easy to get distracted and carried away by Debeurme's engaging storytelling style, but that doesn't change the fact that he glosses over certain issues integral to the story, and implicitly condones some questionable behavior. Going into detail would spoil the plot, though, and I don't feel particularly compelled to explain it anyway. Instead I recommend reading this review if you don't mind plot spoilers and are interested in
Derek Royal
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I didn't read this book when it was first released, but I have done so now in anticipation of Debeurme's new work, Renee. This is a solid story, and the art reminds me (at times) of Jules Feiffer, especially in those moments where the illustration is more iconic and the characters are represented in full form and with minimal context.
Erik
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
500+ pages, but a very quick read nonetheless. Admirable story, sparse artwork. Not perfect, but a good few hours of engagement and I imagine a decent (if limited) representation of what it's like to live with anorexia.

There's a part 2, and I may read it, but I haven't decided yet. Hm...
Namitha Varma
A very touching portrayal of an adolescent's problems with dysfunctional families, and of self-discovery. I especially loved the dream interpretations.
Dani Peloquin
Aug 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
I picked up this book recently because many of the reviews I read compared it to "Blankets". While I didn't adore "Blankets", it had a certain appeal to me that I still haven't been able to put my finger on. I thought that maybe this book would have that same appeal. Unfortunately, I felt that it had all of the negative aspects of "Blankets" and none of the positives. I know I shouldn't compare it to another work, but even on its own I found it lacking.

The graphic novel follows Lucille who is a
Gabi Oliveira
This was... surely a book. I like the fluid storytelling style, the way the unsaid and the images was so often used to convey emotion and messages. The lack of borders, together with the insect people illustration, gives the book a poignant sense of dream-like magical surrealism. The book treated themes like mental illness and generational trauma in a very delicate way, too.

As for other things... connecting with the characters was hard, even with 500 and something pages. The pace was also slow,
Stephen
Nov 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
A $30 softcover book with beginner doodles. Not professional cartooning, not fine art, not even great doodles...BEGINNER DOODLES...the kind someone makes when they first decide to start drawing. And you don't even get many of them! They're strewn casually here and there across way, way, way too many pages. A trained artist or professional illustrator, teamed up with a worth-a-damn editor and letterer would have told this same exact story, word for word, in 1/3 of the space. (We're talking about ...more
skein
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star, 2014
interesting, very interesting. very French.
am very mad that it's one of two, and only the first is translated to English. I WILL NEVER LEARN WHAT HAPPENS (unless i become fluent in French and track it down -- more likely that i will just never know.)

Fuck.
Paul
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Stunningly beautiful and practically impossible to put down.
Jarrah
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Lucille is a heartbreaking, deeply poignant love story of two young people who meet in the midst of incredible personal struggles and decide to try to see if they can overcome them together. Sparely drawn and slow to build, the emotions creep up on you as you read and get more and more drawn in to the novel's bleak atmosphere. Although this is book 1 of a series it stands on its own, but don't be surprised if you're left feeling like you really need to read Volume 2.
Gonz Navarro
Mar 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
Poor narration mixed with weak illustrations. When drawing is not your thing the story can save your book, clearly this book is not a good example. Way smarter authors out there like jason (hey wait) or chaboute (alone). Lucky i got it from the library and i didnt buy it. Dont waste your time like me. Im not a hater, i just didnt like it at all, as an author you need to aim a bit further i believe.
Orion
Aug 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lucille is a French coming of age graphic novel about an anorexic girl and a suicidal boy who find love for each other in their uniqueness. The first part of the book is depressing in it's description of how these young people became so seriously troubled. This is followed by an uplifting middle as they find meaningful companionship despite their problems. Illustrated with black and white line drawings that are expressive despite their simplicity.
Julie Rylie
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphics
book about mental illnesses in teenage hood part 2 : Anorexia.

It's a simple story but very sublime and it gave me all the interest in the world to read number 2. Too bad they still don't have it at the library.
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Two French misfit teenagers dealing with their own life struggles meet and run away together. Decent but didn't make me want to look into the continuation.
Lily Strfsh
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. Ludovic brings you to places you don’t expect. I don’t know how to describe what it made me feel but I highly recommend anyone to try it.
Brenna Sydel
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully done.

Wonderful and endearing. I devoured this book. It was delightful and enjoyable. I wasn't sure where it was headed at first but I loved the trip.
Gary
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it
The art was okay, however with no panels and not being used to that. It did cause me some problems.
Brenna Sydel
Jan 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I had forgotten that I read this book until I was more than half way through it. Guess while I enjoyed it the first time it had not made much of an impression on me.
Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day)
Teenager Lucille is having identity issues. The book starts off with her addressing her sexual needs and looking at her thin stalk-like body in vain. The boy she is interested in has jumped out of her research team to work with a girl he likes. She is worried that no one will like her, and her mother isn't too helpful when Lucille asks her about it, saying that Lucille's looks doesn't matter since she has brains. Lucille's identity issues soon escalate sending her into a spiraling abyss of anore ...more
Penelope
Jan 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those stories with a plot that seems completely natural, even serendipitous. Fateful encounters, poetic irony, it's all here, and it all works. Nothing seems forced, which is not an easy task in a story that involves such heavy topics as suicide, anorexia, and teenage runaways. Such a story could easily seem contrived, but "Lucille" succeeds in being a touching, beautiful love story. Both Lucille and Vladimir are fragile, flawed, and, unbeknownst to themselves, incredibly tough. T ...more
Matt Mendoza
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
A solid, emotional story about life as young people trying to carve a place for themselves. The characters are engaging and authentic. Ludovic Debeurme's drawings flow and unrestricted by panels. I especially like how he freely uses negative space and blank pages of varying colors for emphasis and emotion. Along these lines, his pages are powerful and there's a couple two-page spreads that work especially well. His dialogue is sparse and economic and is perhaps his work's strongest feature. His ...more
Matt Hartzell
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ogn-indie
This French graphic novel was a great read. It follows the troubled lives of two teenagers, and it's a haunting and at times disturbing work. It made me very thankful that I grew up in a stable home, free of violence, alcoholism, suicide and some of the other issues addressed in the book.

While reading it, I at first found myself rolling my eyes at some of the dumb choices the young characters make. However, as I reflected on the work, I began to remember some of the ways I acted as a teenager, a
Romane
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A captivating and intense book that played with all of my emotions. Revolves around the lives of two teens; Lucille — an anorexic girl; and Arthur — a young man who seems lost and scared in following his bloodline's tradition. They found their safe haven in each other's company.

The plot looks very normal at first, but then I realized that I could never really see something coming in the story line. It's very unpredictable, and it's hard to make assumptions about the twists and turns.

Thi

• Habibi
  • La Petite Russie
  • A User's Guide to Neglectful Parenting
  • Alone
  • O amanhã não está à venda
  • Blue Pills:  A Positive Love Story
  • Unterzakhn
  • L'Arabe du futur 2 : Une jeunesse au Moyen-Orient, 1984-1985
  • Zombies, An Accent UK Anthology
  • Home After Dark
  • Bottled
  • Embroideries
  • I Am Not Okay With This
  • Et au pire, on se mariera
  • L'Ascension du haut mal, tome 1