Start by marking “Que levante mi mano el que crea en la telequinesis y otras historias para corromper a la juventud” as Want to Read:

Master storyteller and satirist Kurt Vonnegut was one of the most in-demand commencement speakers of his time. For each occasion, Vonnegut’s words were unfailingly unique, insightful, and witty, and they stayed with audience members long after graduation.

As edited by Dan Wakefield, this book reads like a narrative in the unique voice that made Vonnegut a hero to readers of
Published September 15th 2014 by Malpaso Ediciones (first published April 11th 2013)

Lyn
Nov 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the funniest stories I ever learned about Kurt Vonnegut was what he said as a eulogy to science fiction writer Isaac Asimov. At Asimov’s funeral, to the assembled guests, Vonnegut began his address with these words: “Well, he’s in heaven now.” Vonnegut recalls that the mourners broke up in laughter. It was so humorous because Asimov was an outspoken atheist. This anecdote is vintage Kurt, satirizing anything and everything and at the most ironic times.

If This Isn’t Nice What Is? is a col
Ilenia Zodiaco
"Di regola io ne conosco una sola: bisogna essere buoni, cazzo".

Si può rimanere indifferenti a molte disgrazie, ma non di certo ad una tale portata di coraggio, luminosità, altruismo. Che magnifico navigatore spaziale sei stato, Kurt.
Megan
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I stumbled across this book by happenstance and was amazed when I realized that this was the perfect book I could read at this precise moment in my life. I have just graduated college and Mr. Vonnegut's words for the "young" have been inspiring and thought-provoking while ever maintaining his unique sense of wit.

I was taught multiple life lessons over the course of a couple hours. I found myself, for days, mulling over his ideas that surfaced throughout this collection of words. I was shocked b
Adam Floridia
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vonnegut
Been way too long since I've read Vonnegut. This is a great collection of speeches that highlights his simply marvelous and marvelously simple humanist ideas.

Speaking of simply marvelous, my beautiful new daughter Reese Elisabeth Floridia enjoyed it too:

description

And speaking of being a marvelous human, here is what Nanny Vonnegut was magnanimous enough to draw just for Reese:

description

All I have left to say is "Boy, isn't this nice?!"
Steven
"And that tiny part of the population which appreciates the arts is well taken care of, is often appalled by how much good stuff there is to read and see and listen to. We have plenty of art in America. It is social justice which is in gruesomely short supply." (103)
Despite the repetition in these speeches across the collection, and in my case, the repetition that came from having just read A Man Without a Country—quite a bit of which overlaps, sometimes verbatim, with the speeches included here
David
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young graduates, old humanitarians
“And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.”

I keep meaning to read more Kurt Vonnegut. Slaughterhouse Five somehow did not have the transcendent effect on me it has on so many other reader. But this collection of graduation speeches Vonnegut made in his later years, as an oft-invited speaker, paints a picture of a warm human being with gentle humor and some degree of self-depreciating wisdom. He w
Marcello S
Di solito mi tengo alla larga da queste raccolte posticce.
Però con Vonnegut si può fare un’eccezione.

Per me è un classico libro da bagno. Ti siedi lì, apri a caso e leggi.
Un po’ sorridi e un po’ rifletti. E intanto fai le cose tue.

Il mio errore probabilmente è stato di leggerlo tutto d’un fiato e alla fine risulta forse un po’ ripetitivo e troppo “sognante”.
Comunque ci sono un sacco di pezzi che potreste rigiocarvi ed è già un buon motivo per darci più di un occhio. [68/100]

Le donne vogliono u
Chandra
Though the introduction describes this as a collection of speeches which were written for each oration, as opposed to having a standardized speech adjusted per each separate occasion, the repetition of ideas and phrases makes it feel as though you have already read it all about halfway through. Regardless, Kurt is always a good read and the bits of tangent wisdom stand out amongst those which have been stated before.
Cathie
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-rc-goal
Having come across the Kurt Vonnegut Memorial Library in one of my earliest visits to Indianapolis, I bought this edition of If This Isn't Nice, What Is?: Advice to the Young—The Graduation Speeches which I gave to my daughter in 2014 for her White Coat cerermony. She graduated from Butler University with a PharmD degree a few days ago. I was going to gift this expanded edition, but decided to keep this one for myself as this includes four pieces of journalism.

Such sweet, at times straightforwa
Kirstine
Kurt Vonnegut is the type of author who, whenever I read him, I just feel better. Deep in my soul, I feel better.

This is a collection of speeches he's given, mostly to college graduates, and there are a few repetitions in the stories and anecdotes in here, but I still think it's utterly worth a read.

Vonnegut is as relevant, humane, understanding, wise and witty as always. And these speeches truly made me realize exactly who keen an observer he was of the world. He just got it. He got the white
Doğan
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gayet güzel başlamıştı. Ancak sonlara doğru sıkıcı ve kendini tekrar eden bir kitaba dönüştü.
Mientras Leo
Me ha gustado, aunque reconozco que esperaba más.
Χριστίνα
Πρόκειται για κείμενα/ ομιλίες του συγγραφέα, από διάφορες τελετές αποφοίτησής Αμερικανικών πανεπιστημίων.
Υπήρξαν στιγμές με χιούμορ και στιγμές που έδιναν τροφή για σκέψη, αλλά σε γενικές γραμμές δε μου άρεσε πολύ αυτό που διάβασα.
Aries
May 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: real-life, attualità
Sto per dire una cosa che mi farà perdere probabilmente la stima di qualcuno.
Io ho un problema con Vonnegut.
Non con il contenuto dei suoi libri (almeno di quelli che ho letto, ovvio).
Con il suo stile.
Faccio fatica, dopo un po’, a seguirlo, a seguirne i fili logici, a farmi avvolgere da ciò che scrive, nonostante poi ciò che scriva sia contenutisticamente condivisibile se non ben oltre.
Stesso problema (e qui altra stima persa) che ho con Foster Wallace, per dire.

In questo caso, poi, si aggiunge c
D.C.
Apr 11, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I adored Kurt Vonnegut. His books engaged me when I had started to believe any book handed to me by a teacher would inevitably be dull. And I once attended a speech he gave at Ohio State, so I can imagine how much better these speeches would sound versus read. On the page what was meant to be charming or amusing just comes off hokey and silly. The ideas are interesting, but this was a painful read. I received this book in Goodreads giveaway, therefore I am obligated to write a review, otherwise ...more
Jonathan Gall
I randomly purchased this book based on recommendations. I didn't know who Kurt Vonnegut was. It's a collection of talks given to University freshmen. It's short, funny by moment, insightful and brings oneself to think. Kurt obviously had a huge amount of empathy. What shines in those talks is his ability to make us understand others point of view. I will definitely pick-up his books after this introduction. Recommended.
Karen Terrell
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really needed this book right now. I found it oddly comforting and reassuring. Vonnegut reminded me that the times we are now entering are not any worse than the times that have come before. And he assures me that - although I maybe can't fix the whole world - I can, at least, make my little corner of it a more humane and beautiful place.
Celeste - Una stanza tutta per me
Vonnegut è molto divertente e il volume è ben curato, però bisogna essere onesti: questi discorsi, stralci di articoli et similia hanno resistito orribilmente al tempo.
Sal Coraccio
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is sad that Kurt Vonnegut is not longer physically with us. But it is still a real joy to read his words.

There really aren't that many of his words here though, something like 115 pages including the mortared commentary, and some of it is repeated. But - much of it is worth repeating. I don't have any problems with that.

I found myself wanting to retweet his apt bits multiple times as I listened:
"Notice when you're happy, and know when you've got enough. As for throwing money at problems: That
Ana
Reading this felt like graduating into conscious adulthood. This is a man who does not belittle us for being younger and stubbornly refusing to believe in (some) our elder's pity of us. The ease with which he delivers such advice is both amazing and humbling, strange and common sense. In my world, when people talk to you they embellish their words so much, their bullshit sounds fouler than if they just said what they wanted out of me in a straight manner. I would appreciate a clear heads up befo ...more
Muthuvel
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite, audiobook
I didn't get to read this book in the hardcopy edition as they are too much to be affordable in my locality. However i felt the need for this one, used free trial credits from audible. It's a previlege to listen this work comprising his graduation speeches which is nothing but a chance to take time for yourself, relaxing yourself going back your past, how things became very sweet, stick with your 'humane' goals. Normally some people read a lot of books and only occasionally they would feel some ...more
Hella
Un titolo che è un saggio consiglio .
Un libro che saggiamente vi consiglio.
Νατάσσα
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Διαλέξεις με χιούμορ, σαρκασμό και μεγάλες αλήθειες. Νομίζω θα το ξαναδιαβάζω για καιρό, πριν το πάρει στα χέρια του ο γιος μου.
Mariano Hortal
Publicado en http://lecturaylocura.com/que-levante...

“Que levante mi mano quien crea en la telequinesis” de Kurt Vonnegut. No me digas que esto no fue bonito

Tengo que reconocer que no sabía qué esperar de este libro. Por un lado es un Vonnegut, siempre existe este afán completista; por otro lado, parecía una antología de obras menores, en este caso, nueve discursos y una recopilación de citas para meditar; el formato tampoco ayudaba mucho, es el formato del otoño literario de este año: libros en
Faris .
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this short but great book, we experience Kurt Vonnegut's commencement speeches to graduating college students. While I could go forever on why this is an essential read, I'd rather tell you to stop what you're doing and start reading this (audiobook form is also even better).
Hind
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 5-stars
Fun, light reading. Vonnegut is funny as always.
Davide
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Dobbiamo costantemente buttarci giù dagli strapiombi e farci
crescere le ali mentre precipitiamo.
Lauren
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it. Huge Vonnegut fan, and have heard bits and pieces of his speeches over the years. This compilation, though somewhat repetitive, exemplifies the man and his message in a concise manner. I would love to be able to sit in his brain for a bit--the guy was a riot, and at the same time, spot on with so many crucial elements of life that we just cannot overlook. Politics, religion (or lack thereof), humanity, purpose...whatever you believe to be true, Vonnegut places you front and center; y ...more
Lynne
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fair warning, this is commencement speeches...several of them, and all relatively short. Some, somewhat repetitive. But, the message is so good that you don't mind having it repeated. I've been unfortunate enough to never have read any of Mr. Vonnegut's work...but after listening to this freebie from my friends at Audible, I'm now compelled to at least look into Slaughterhouse Five. I agree with most of Vonnegut's POVs in his commencement speeches, so I'm guessing I'll at least like the messages ...more
Francesca
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Chissà se, per un caso di fortuita meta-narrazione, qualcuno non si renderà conto che felice è anche il tempo dedicato a una lettura così".

leggi il resto qui: http://www.scenecontemporanee.it/libri/debrevitateestate-quando-siete-felici-fateci-caso-1784
  • One Man's Initiation: 1917
  • Beethoven's Shadow
  • Dimension of Miracles (Dimension of Miracles #1)
  • The Second World War: Milestones to Disaster
  • Congratulations, By the Way: Some Thoughts on Kindness
  • Language A to Z
  • The Nerd's Guide to Being Confident
  • Conversations with Kurt Vonnegut
  • True Strength: My Journey from Hercules to Mere Mortal and How Nearly Dying Saved My Life
Kurt Vonnegut, Junior was an American novelist, satirist, and most recently, graphic artist. He was recognized as New York State Author for 2001-2003.

He was born in Indianapolis, later the setting for many of his novels. He attended Cornell University from 1941 to 1943, where he wrote a column for the student newspaper, the Cornell Daily Sun. Vonnegut trained as a chemist and worked as a journali
“We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.” 3977 likes
“My Uncle Alex, who is up in Heaven now, one of the things he found objectionable about human beings was that they so rarely noticed it when times were sweet. We could be drinking lemonade in the shade of an apple tree in the summertime, and Uncle Alex would interrupt the conversation to say, "If this isn't nice, what is?"

So I hope that you will do the same for the rest of your lives. When things are going sweetly and peacefully, please pause a moment, and then say out loud, "If this isn't nice, what is?”
63 likes