Start by marking “Det blåser på månen” as Want to Read:
Det blåser på månen

Det blåser på månen

"När det blåser på månen, får man tänka mycket noga på hur man uppför sig. För om det är en ond vind och man uppför sig illa, blåser den vinden rakt in i hjärtat, och sedan uppför man sig illa en lång tid framåt." Så förmanade major Rytter sina flickor Dina och Dorinda, innan han begav sig iväg på sin långa och farliga resa till Bombardiet. Och Dina och Dorinda försökte no ...more
Published 1984 by Norstedts (first published 1944)

To ask other readers questions about Det blåser på månen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Det blåser på månen

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★
Very strange, yet unforgettable children's book.
Debbie
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this firstly when I was in my last year in Junior school. I absolutely loved it then. When I met my now husband, I found out he had read it in school and loved it too, so we bought a copy and read it again. It had lost none of its charm and we both really enjoyed it despite being in our twenties. I would urge any parent or teacher to encourage children to read this book which is clever, bewitching and very funny!

PS. I bought a first edition of The Wind on the Moon for my husband for a sp
Alison
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
"The Wind on the Moon is a wartime book - it was published in 1944 - and it dwells on those elements of life in short supply or under threat in Britain, such as food, and liberty, and fun. It is not a prisoner of the time, though, and one of its delights is the cavalier way in which Linklater swings between pure fantasy and the everyday made fantastic."

James Meek in the Guardian

Simon
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't think it unreasonable to couple this book with Alice. Both weave fictional and impossible worlds that reveal a great deal about our own world when explored by headstrong female juvenile leads. Both take time to make philosophical observations about the world and how we can know it. Epistemology, metaphysics and logic all get a runaround in here, as does philosophy of education and political philosophy. One of the main themes is freedom and confinement, both in terms of imprisonment (ofte ...more
Maria Elmvang
My school library back in primary school had this book, and it was one of my absolute favourite books. I think I must have taken it out about once every 6 months on average. Then I left primary school, and somehow didn't think about it in years. When my grandparents died, I inherited their copy of the book, but just never got around to rereading it. All in all, I think it's been 15-20 years since I read it last.

Somehow I got thinking about it recently, and got an urge to reread it. I was a tiny
Ben
Feb 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first section of the book took some getting used to, with what I'll describe as some brutal absurdity. Once I got used to the characterizations common to the earlier 20th century (a la Three Stooges, Red Skelton, etc.), the story turned largely away from pathetic protagonists into Homeric heroines. It was ultimately an uniquely narrated caper that I found enjoyable.
Mumbler
For me, this book was a hodgepodge of different tones and manners. Some work quite better than others. I was really bored during multiple episodes where all the people of the town, or all the dogs, would have a great noisy ruckus. The scene with all the hunting dogs biting each other was dull in the way that only empty frenetic activity can be. Maybe I should be clear that a kid might like this part fine! This is probably pitched younger than most of the kids' novels that I get perfectly well ca ...more
LobsterQuadrille
Jul 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children, anyone who enjoys older children's books
The Wind on the Moon started out feeling rather mundane, and suddenly became very strange and slightly unnerving. After the fourth chapter, I wasn't sure what to think about it. But I'm so glad I kept reading! It ended up being a very unique, charming, and even moving story. I loved reading about Dinah and Dorinda's adventures living as kangaroos in a zoo(well, I did say it was unique) and trying to solve a mystery there. I enjoyed most of the characters(though Dinah and Dorinda seemed to blend ...more
Taylor
May 29, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, childrens
This was not what I was expecting! I picked it up at the library, intrigued by the cover first and illustrations second. I assumed I would be reading a story of British school-girl highjinks during WWII. ..... And it was ..... Kind of.

The adventures in which Dinah and Dorinda find themselves are totally fantastical. Even more so because Linklater writes about these 2 young girls turning into kangaroos as if it were the usual thing to write about...and even the usual thing to do.

There are talki
Jane
Oct 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great title from this excellent series put out by the NY Review of Books.
This starts off a bit stodgy, and it feels as if it started as one of those "tell me a
story, Daddy" things that somehow, in the 30s and 40s, got turned into books.
Don't try that today - it won't work. But the two heroines are engaging, real, funny
and brave. Their adventures fall into two distinct stories, one in a zoo and the other
in Mittel-Europa, where they rescue their father from a dungeon. A pair of Crimean-War
Emily
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this out loud to my kiddos and we really enjoyed it! Even my 7 year old begged to listen to it! They giggled a lot and enjoyed trying to see if they could figure out the mysteries, or figure out how they would get out of certain situations. An enjoyable thing to read all together.
Charlotte
This book is meant to be read on lazy summer days. It is full of adventure and mischief. The pace is a little slow, but a patient young reader will be rewarded with a thrilling ending.
Heather
At the start of The Wind on the Moon, Dinah and Dorinda are watching their father, Major Palfrey, pack his trunk: he's getting ready to go to war. He tells them to be good while he's gone, but no one's very sure the girls will be able to: Major Palfrey says the ring of mist around the moon outside the window is a dangerous sign:
'There is a wind on the moon,' he said. 'I don't like the look of it at all. When there is wind on the moon, you must be very careful how you behave. Because if it is an
Katy Noyes
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books really need reissuing again. Lately the well-known ones (Wizard of Oz, Treasure Island, Anne of Green Gables) have been spruced up for a new generation with some lovely covers. The Wind on the Moon and others like it need the same. It's every bit the classic the three mentioned are. But it won't stand a chance unless a lucky child has a parent who remembers it from childhood.

I only discovered it after seeing it won the Carnegie back in the 1940s and decided to try it. And it's perfec
Ifbearsruledtheworld
This book is so dear to me. My grandmother used to read it to my mother when she was a child. Then she read it for me when I visited her during my summer holidays. Now it has a very special place in my bookshelf and when I have kids and grandkids I will pick up my worn and loved copy and read it to them as well.
Friend of Pixie (F.O.P.)
WHY: I'm currently picking through the New York Review's children's re-issues and this sounded good. "In the English village of Midmeddlecum, Major Palfrey asks his two daughters to behave themselves while he is off at war. Sighs Dinah, 'I think that we are quite likely to be bad, however hard we try not to be,' and her sister Dorinda adds helpfully, 'Very often, when we think we are behaving well, some grown-up person says we are really quite bad. It's difficult to tell which is which.' A tale ...more
Miriam Wakerly
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written during World War II this children's classic took me back to my childhood, not because I was alive at that time but I remember reading and loving this book in the 1950s. I was probably about 8 or 9, not sure. I could remember the two girls turning into kangaroos, and having adventures with their friend the Puma, but the rest just rang faint bells as I re-read it as an adult. What an imagination Eric Linklater had! Loved it all over again.
Jennifer S
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I had read this book as a child - or when my children were still at the age where I could read to them. Delightful story of 2 girls in Britain, written during WWII, with a wonderful reliance on fantasy and imagination. Our 2 heroines are courageous, clever, and like to "think for themselves" (as they say later in the book) - and repeatedly work their way out of trouble with the help of some magic and great friendships.
Barbara
Jul 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
I loved this book. (I have a hard time rating books 4 or 5?) It was published in 1944. One of the reviews said it belonged beside "Alice in Wonderland", "The Jungle Book," and "Wind in the Willows." I haven't actually read any of those - so I couldn't say! But I am looking forward to trying out more of The New York Review Children's Collection.
Julia
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this for the first time when I was 8, and I loved it. A few years later, I bought my own copy and read it again. I loved it none less. (But the book had somehow mysteriously got thinner, even if it was the exact same content. Probably an illusion since I had gotten used to thicker books during the years, but I don't know...)
It's quite beautiful this book.
Rebecca
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-classics, kids
A lovely, absurd story - and I have to wonder why I never read it when I was actually a kid (the length wouldn't have put me off and I was a frequent visitor to the local library, I can't imagine it wasn't there)!
Sofia Jernberg
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: surrealistic
This is probably the book I remember most vividly from when I was a child. It's just amazing, I think I must have read it five times at least. I adore how it's several stories in one, and how much you learn about being human reading it. I don't think I'll ever forget it.
Gail M
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book, and I loved it 50 years ago. Dinah and Dorinda, the best of role models. There are some sad parts, unfortunately. Some of the books I read or heard read as a child made such an impression, in terms of brilliance of idea, and this is one of them.
Helena
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my favourite book as a young child and it's just such an adorable and charming story about two sisters and their adventures.
It's nothing like you would imagine when you first pick up the book, but i promise that it is a joy to read it even as an adult.
Michal
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Someone recommended this book as the best children's book she ever read. I was disappointed. Very childish plot, characters that did not appeal to me at all. Looked like parody about children books by very bad author.
Serena Wong
This story was so creative and hilarious. The story elicits quite a few different emotions from readers like laughter and sometimes sadness too.
Julie Greenstreet
Read it as a child and loved it then read it to my children loved it then will read it to my Grandchildren
Daniela Kraml
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my best loved books ever, although I cried so much.....
Kamila
Aug 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of the best books i read as a kid
Isabelle Tiselius
(2,5 stars)

Boring for the most part of it. Though at times it could be quite charming.

• The Little Bookroom
  • Uncle
  • The School for Cats
  • The Turbulent Term of Tyke Tiler
  • The Haunting
  • The Little Grey Men
  • The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm
  • Bijna iedereen kon omvallen
  • Circus Shoes (Shoes, #3)
  • Mistress Masham's Repose
  • The Wool-Pack
  • Clorofila del Cielo Azul
  • Way Home
  • Jennings and Darbishire
Eric Robert Russell Linklater was a Welsh-born Scottish writer of novels and short stories, military history, and travel books. For The Wind on the Moon, a children's fantasy novel, he won the 1944 Carnegie Medal from the Library Association for the year's best children's book by a British subject.