Start by marking “FAMILY VALUES” as Want to Read:
FAMILY VALUES

FAMILY VALUES

Aizat is a married man who lives a hedonistic and comfortable life. But when he sells a plot of land he inherited from his father, this triggers a string of horrifying events. He sees apparitions, hears voices, and gets physically and mentally tortured.
His very rich uncle, Tan Sri Aliyas, suddenly gets in touch with him. Aizat doesn't want to meet Uncle Aliyas because he's
Paperback, 1st Edition, 221 pages
Published September 24th 2014 by FIXI Novo

To ask other readers questions about FAMILY VALUES, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about FAMILY VALUES

Ainur
Interesting read, dealing with lots of interesting, heavy topics; religion, politic, racism, pots, sex, etc.

It started pretty slow, but it's not boring, I can still follow it through. I don't get what the author's point at first. There's a lot of ramble, I think. The first early chapters talked about Aizat's lifestyle; he slept with his assistant, he smoked weed, he disrespected his wife. You can't help but hate that guy. Then the story started to get more interesting as Aizat met his uncle, an
Najwa  Hanis
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my third novel of Hadi M. Nor and I have to say I'm quite impressed with his writing especially this one. The other two I read are in malay but this one is in english (thumbs up!). We get mainly humor from those two but this one is totally different. It's a thriller of a pulp fiction way (and yes there is still some parts that had me laughing).

Although the plot is not that strong and some parts are vaguely explained (because I couldn't really connect the dots), I must say it is well writ
Inn Auni
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, b-melayu
I don't get the ending. Was Aizat too high on drug that he hallucinated everything or was it real?

And I like what the writer did. It's full of satire. It touches every subject imaginable. I mean, RM20 for 500ml of Yasin's water?! I could get it for free from the mosque near my house. Of course a sensible person wouldn't take it for free. That's the point of 'tabung masjid'.

It's a great book if not for the confusing ending. It's so abrupt that I was like, "That's it?" Aizat was not an honorable M
Catalina Rembuyan
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Intense. An excellent example of an unlikable character delivering a strong story. Although this book is marketed as pulp fiction, I feel that this book also reveals modern anxieties in Malaysia's ethnic Malay community. 'Godless' liberals, judgmental religious zealots, celebrity imams, fear and suspicion of the Chinese, and shadow Freemason-like organizations can be found here.

Was kind of worried that Hadi M. Nor would not be able to deliver a novel-length story because I was introduced to him
Ira Nadhirah
Nov 16, 2014 rated it liked it
First eleven chapters, i was like mana hala tuju cerita ni? Seems like Hadi betul betul nak membuktikan how this Aizat live his life hedonistically (is there such word?). Tapi memang agak merepek gila tersasul sebut oh Ceci lepas tu role play. Cam whatt. Ok enough with that. Then baru cerita berkembang bila Aizat met his uncle and terbongkar rahsia semua. Tapi hadi m nor tetap hadi m nor lah kan. Part sinikal banyak gila. Sampai aku rasa confuse dia ni nak ejek ke memang cerita dia macam ni. Ok ...more
Aain Fauzi
Feb 26, 2016 rated it liked it
He addressed a lot of issues: celebrity imams, political figures and their dark gameplay on the people, hedonism amongst modern muslims... All delivered in a no-nonsense, sarcastic voice. Very relatable for today's Malaysians. I'll be on the lookout for more books by the author. Kudos!
Lorena Ramli
May 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Can someone please explain the ending hmm
Zulzafry Zulkifly
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
nice
Lyana Khairuddin
Sep 27, 2014 rated it liked it
I have to admit that I only got this book to support Junad's brother... But oh how I enjoyed this. The whole storyline depicts upper middle class malays today to the T; with drugs,women, alcohol are OK but any thing to do with babi is not. The whole race and islaminization issue and how we are actually our own bogeymen to stick to our skewed view of power and control, complete with supernatural beliefs are just well constructed and weaved into a story- a social commentary within a fiction. WELL ...more
Eizza Bohari
Apr 17, 2015 rated it liked it
The book is fairly interesting eventhough rather slow because it took Hadi M Nor more than half the book before Tan Sri Aliyas reveals the secret and it felt like whatever happened after the revelation was rather rushed. But kudos to the parts before the revelation because they were well- detailed and made me cringe (yuck, centipede) and some parts were funny like when he asked the call- girl to bring him burger. That one had me chuckling. I also enjoy parts of Islamic philosophy that accompanie ...more
Izwan Zakaria
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: brown-shelf
After flipping a few pages of this piece, I knew I had to get a copy right away.

Family Values takes you through the mind of an upper middle class Malay: paranoid, confused, and always trying to exceed expectations.

Notwithstanding certain factual inaccuracy (there's no Chanel boutique in Bangsar), the novel is interesting enough to make you wanting for more.

All in all, it's an interesting read, especially of a Malaysian author. Brilliant.
Nadira
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
The story really keeps me going but towards the end i was like, wtf man. Lost 4 hours of my life for this? He's a good story teller but I just don't like this story + too much sex. I mean after a few pages we already know how much Aizat loves sex, next please.
phazleeanna
Dec 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: buku-fixi-novo
Families; they make and break you (and burn you).
Azreen Zolkafli
What a wonderful piece of art! Authors like Hadi are one of the reasons I get hurt whenever people say that writers in this generation are crap. Good job Hadi!
F.Abigail Thivkhvir
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's a nice story ,i like the author style of writing .Hope to read more from Hadi M.Nor
Hafiz Azam
Aug 04, 2016
Hirzawati
Jan 05, 2015
Munirah Muhtar
rated it did not like it
Jun 03, 2016
Dec 14, 2014
Nadhirah Mohd nasir
Nov 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
“Genius, really, the Brits. They built a house and it lasts for centuries and we built a football stadium that caves in within a year.” 0 likes