Start by marking “Dating Sarah Cooper” as Want to Read:
Dating Sarah Cooper

Dating Sarah Cooper

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  1,129 Ratings  ·  115 Reviews
Katie Hammontree and Sarah Cooper have been best friends since the 2nd grade. Katie's welcoming, tight-knit family is a convenient substitute for Sarah when her distant parents aren't around, and Sarah's abrasive, goal-oriented personality gels well with Katie's more laid-back approach to life.
But when a misunderstanding leads to the two of them being mistaken for a couple
Kindle Edition, New Cover Edition, 242 pages
Published September 20th 2014 by Author via Amazon (first published July 30th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Dating Sarah Cooper, please sign up.

Siera Maley The story was written fully several years before Faking It premiered, so no, it isn't. It just coincidentally shares a fun premise :) and has a much…moreThe story was written fully several years before Faking It premiered, so no, it isn't. It just coincidentally shares a fun premise :) and has a much happier (and gayer) ending.(less)

Marie
Aug 30, 2014 Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Faking-It done right
Dahlia
Mar 15, 2015 Dahlia rated it really liked it
This was afreakingdorable. It really is Faking It in a YA, and was so happy-making my toes literally curled while I was reading. I wish I'd gotten a little more from the plot that went beyond what I've already seen on MTV, but those little shoutouts to all the unhappy lesbian book endings, especially after reading the dedication, were totally my favorite my part <3
P. Industry
Katie and Sarah have been best friends since they were both in primary school; they might as well be joined at the hip, each complimenting the other in ways they now take for granted. This closeness lands them in hot water when they are mistaken for a lesbian couple and dragged along unwittingly to the LGBT club.

Although initially puzzled by these turns of events, Sarah decides to take advantage of the situation to get a hot bloke to notice her. Katie, protesting, is pulled along with her. As t
Kelly Quindlen
Dec 16, 2016 Kelly Quindlen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt
Loved it, especially the happy ending
emma
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

If you are after a cute, fluffy f/f story, then this is for you! There were a few aspects of this I didn't like (mostly the lying about being gay for attention) but these were all addressed in the story and weren't shown as okay, which I loved. I've heard of this as being called 'faking it done right' and despite never having watched faking it, I totally agree! If you did watch it and feel cheated, read this. If you want a (mostly) feel-good coming out story, read this.
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
I heard this is MTV's Faking It done right. This book is so cute and sapphic. It made me cry a lot. Let's blame it on the election.

Trope: Best friends to lovers. Life doesn't get better than that.
Diana
Nov 25, 2014 Diana rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Teenage romance (coming out). Sweet moments but the angst parts affect (in my opinion) the real meaning of love. I'm referring specifically to one of the lead characters.(view spoiler) ...more
Megzz
Dec 25, 2014 Megzz rated it it was amazing
Oh my god I'm so giddy it's ridiculous. HOW is it that I discovered this book only a few days ago?

I'm usually not a big fan of coming out stories because I'm way past that point in my life and usually find it boring to read about teenagers.

But this book was such a great surprise! A real feel-good story with sweet mature characters and a lovely romance and a happy ending and it makes me want to run around my house naked singing love songs!!

Dating Sarah Cooper deserves its average rating. The st
Mel
Mar 17, 2017 Mel rated it liked it
Shelves: ff, ya, bi-character
Katie and Sarah are best friends, and for some dumb reason they pretend to be a lesbian couple. That sounds way better than it is, actually.

I just have to say that I loved Katie from the get go. She's so sweet and precious and I wanted to protect her from her crazy best friend 90% of the time. (view spoiler)

I also really enjoyed the characters from the LAMBDA club, they are so nice and supporting. The
Lexxi Kitty
I was thinking, somewhere near the end, that this seemed like more of a 4 something star book than a 5. By the time the book ended, I couldn’t remember why and thought it more of a 5 star book. If I had recalled and rejected whatever my initial thought was, I could happily mark this a five. As it is, I’ll just put it as 4.5 for now.

With that out of the way I can turn to how I’m not sure how to say anything about this book without being all spoiler-y. I mean, it’s true that the book opens with th
Ashley
Sep 20, 2014 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt, lesbian, ya, lesbian-ya
Tbh best lesbian rom-com-y book I've read in a long time! AND A HAPPY ENDING, thank god! You don't know how many teen lesbian books I've read that start out all cute and then end in disaster for no reason. But not this one! The main characters were adorable together (and awesomely snarky)and the side characters are just as lovable.
Only prob I had was a few typos, but there weren't enough to detract from the story.
Yes, the premise is basically Faking It, but it's executed so differently and SO m
C. Mack
Jan 26, 2017 C. Mack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely

A really well written novel that reads from the first person perspective, this really helps to put yourself into the main characters shoes and allows the empathy to flow, making the story all the more real.
Lauren ✨ (YABookers)
A super cute, fluffy YA lesbian contemporary. A happy ending and a super-duper shippable romance. I will be reading more of Siera Maley's books for sure.
Kaitlin Wallace
Nov 14, 2014 Kaitlin Wallace rated it liked it
Shelves: pleasure-reading
Super cute book! I wish there was more about after the winter formal.
Abbie
Oct 06, 2016 Abbie rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
This bored me in places, and I can't say I loved the characters, but it wasn't a bad read.
Angie
Oct 18, 2015 Angie rated it really liked it
The fake relationship turned real is my absolute favorite Romance trope, and Dating Sarah Cooper does it wonderfully! Katie and Sarah have been best friends forever, but one day, after helping Jake who was being bullied for being gay, he mistakes the friends for being something more. He's happy to have made new friends and invites them to his after school club. Katie and Sarah agree only to show up and have it be their school's GSA. Jake already told everyone that they're a couple, and Sarah dec ...more
Rain
Apr 24, 2016 Rain rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, read-in-english, fa
"When she held my hand and gave it an innocent squeeze, I felt remorse for the tingles in my hand and the butterflies in my stomach."
After reading the blurb and many reviews comparing this to MTV's Faking It, I was a bit worried it would feel like a "copy", even if the book was finished first. And yes, now I can say the premise is definitely very similar: two girls find themselves pretending to be gay/a couple, one of them to get a boy's attention (really), and there's also the gay friend who
Marta
Mar 01, 2017 Marta rated it it was amazing
Shira Glassman
Feb 19, 2016 Shira Glassman rated it really liked it
Shelves: femslash, teen
This is a cute, fluffy book that has a lot of brain candy for people who just want to read about girls going from friends to relationship, and good solid representation for girls who didn't "always know" but whose attraction to other girls snuck up on them when they weren't looking. This is also going to be a comforting book for people who want to read about queer teens with parents who are totally accepting, even in an awkward parental way.

I think I have a low tolerance for high school drama ri
Chloe
May 11, 2016 Chloe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is FRICKING AMAZING! Like seriously. The characters are amazingly written, with such depth of their emotions that is so easily relatable; being a gay woman I thought they really showed what it's like to realise you're gay, I mean it's bloody brutal sometimes!
The story arch was just awesome, my heart about exploded! When it happened I swear my cheeks were on fire from this smile I kept.
I recommend everyone to read it, like NOW! This author is just awesome; this is the second book I've r
Jun 12, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing
So as an LGBT person I am always very skeptical about LGBT fiction, especially "lesbian love stories". My experience so far hasn't been great, I find the stories lacking a lot the time, they are usually okay concepts but just not well executed. This was not the case with Siera Maley's Dating Sarah Cooper. This book was a breath of fresh air, the characters were likeable and relatable. The story was engaging and exciting, the balance was just right, it didn't feel like I was reading a "lesbian lo ...more
Ali
Jan 02, 2015 Ali rated it it was amazing
For big fans of Faking It, I suggest reading this, though it will leave you feeling much more satisfied than the series (which let's be honest, can be a little shallow). Whether you're gay, bi, questioning, straight or just trying to find your identity as a person in the world, it's the perfect blend of humor, romance, suspense and fun.
Izilen
Apr 30, 2016 Izilen rated it really liked it
The protags are kinda terrible as required by the premise -- pretend lesbianism to get a boy's attention, actually fall in love -- but it's pretty damn cute. The pretend dating is well done and comes with with a nice supporting cast full of LGB characters, AND has a self-consciously happy ending. Read for best girl friends fall in love ridic high school hijinks.
Kathryn
May 31, 2016 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: YA or anyone, really
Recommended to Kathryn by: Best Femme/Femme Couples list
Two besties, Katie and Sarah, loved each other from childhood. In their last year of high school Sarah decides they should pretend to be gay because she thinks the guys at school would be more interested in her. Very similar to Faking-It from M-TV but I understand the book was written first. This book is laugh-out-loud funny. I would read it again.
Jamie Coudeville
This book was exactly what I hoped the tv show Faking It would be. I absolutely adored this book. This would make such a great movie. I loved both Katie and Sarah, even though she made some questionable choices. The only thing I was missing was an epilogue and perhaps more about absent Sarah's parents.
Bree Paige
Dec 12, 2015 Bree Paige rated it really liked it
I love the story..
Well written..
There was no love scenes.. but the kisses was so magical. I think that would be enough.
I hope there was more sweet scene between them and jealous to add some spice..
✔✔✔✔
Ashley Blake
Dec 25, 2015 Ashley Blake rated it it was amazing
Shelves: quiltbag, f-f-romance
Gah, this book was freaking a-dor-a-ble. I've never seen FAKING IT, which I've heard this compared to, so this was all very new and fresh for me and I loved it. Swoony, tense romance, self-discovery, and HEA lesbian-bisexual f/f relationship for the win.
D.M.
Jan 23, 2016 D.M. rated it it was amazing
I love the mtv show faking it and this book is very similar to the first series only with the perfect ending.

4.5 stars out of 5
Amanda
Dec 17, 2015 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: teenage-girls, f-f
this was pretty frickin adorable. who doesn't love some fake dating amiright
Shelly
A really cute short novel that I enjoyed! For those who want a f/f with a HEA (like one of the protagonists of this book), I recommend Dating Sarah Cooper
  • The Blind Side of Love
  • Her Name in the Sky
  • Just Three Words (Soho Loft, #2)
  • Seven Minutes In Heaven
  • Under a Falling Star
  • Suddenly
  • Interference
  • Second Chances
  • Because of Her
  • Driving Lessons
  • An Unstill Life
  • The Lure of White Oak Lake (White Oak Lake, #1)
  • Who I Am
  • Too Late... I Love You
  • Parties in Congress
  • All That Lies Within
  • The Princess Affair
  • Dirty London
Siera Maley was born and raised in the southern Bible Belt. After coming out as a lesbian as a teen, she relocated to a more suburban area and now lives with her girlfriend and very adorable dogs while she works on writing young adult lesbian fiction.
More about Siera Maley...

“I feel like I showed up to school naked or something. I say I'm dating a girl and suddenly all everyone cares about is my sex life.” 4 likes
“And I didn't realize it then, as Sarah and I left the parking lot and sped down the road in her little four-door, but I think that by the end of that very first school day I'd already fallen a bit in love with her.” 2 likes