Start by marking “I Will Not Eat You” as Want to Read:
I Will Not Eat You

I Will Not Eat You

From the award-winning author of Warning: Do Not Open This Book! and Please, Open This Book! comes a suspenseful and darkly funny new picture book about Theodore, who resists the urge to eat the animals that wander into his cave…at least for now!

Theodore thinks everything is a potential meal. Lucky for the bird, wolf, and tiger, who pass by his cave, Theodore i
Paperback
Published 2017 by Simon & Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books (first published September 6th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about I Will Not Eat You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Will Not Eat You

Amy!
Apr 25, 2017 marked it as picture-books  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy picture books about eating children.
Kate
I just didn't get Theodore's motivation! He seemed to be happy in his cave all alone, I'd have guessed that he would easily just eat the kid when he was hungry, but for some reason he's swayed by the laughter of a child? Not buying it. It should have ended with Theodore munching on the kid's bones and the moral being that you shouldn't play with dragons because they will eat you.
Edward Sullivan
Amusing and predictable.
Kelly
There is something hiding in a cave. Every time something comes near it he threatens to eat it.
Kristin Nelson
The illustrations and animal sounds and unexpectedness would make this a fun read-aloud.
Darinda
A silly book about a dragon and a boy. Theodore, a dragon, lives in a cave. He occasionally thinks about eating the different animals that come near his cave. One day, a boy approaches the cave... and pokes Theodore. It appears Theodore has found his next meal, but the result is laughter and playtime instead.

Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
Check out more picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Theodore lives alone inside a dark cave. When he is visited by a bird, wolf, and tiger, he isn't hungry yet... then a boy approaches... What does the dragon eat in the end?

This story is rather bizarre. There is a message though that when your friends or others are grouchy like a dragon they won't hurt you... instead play with them and help them to get out of that mood. I LOVE this message, though it is not immediately obvious e
Nicola
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Miss 3 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular topics or themes. We try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to look at a mix of new & favourite authors.

We've read a few of Adam Lehrhaupt's books and this wasn't one of my favourites. Miss 3 did laugh at it but that was also because a lot of it went over her head. There were parts of the text that I didn't like or didn't re
Nancy
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations are super fun (love the dark dark browns and soft golds), but the story does not have super structural integrity. The big fat moment of conflict is resolved with unsatisfying ease; the boy-dragon complicated relationship has great potential but their differences are also dealt with quickly. I want to root for Theodore, but I don't get him -- how come he's not hungry? And how come he'd eat his playmate? And when we got to the reason he didn't eat them -- ew. I got told.
Rebecca Sharp
I found this book to be sort of bizarre. It had me giggling until the boy laughed. He laughed at a dragon about to eat him? It sort of rubbed me the wrong way and it felt like lazy writing. The illustrations are beautiful, though. Almost felt Jon Klassen-esque.
Kimberly Karalius
Oct 09, 2016 rated it liked it
So... If he didn't eat any of the animals or the boy, what DOES Theodore eat? That matter is never addressed :(
RachelAnne
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
The delightful story of a dragon who's coaxed out of cranky isolation by the power of playtime.
McKenna
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Summary:

This story is about a creature hiding away in a dark and scary cave. It is uninterested and not hungered by the numerous animals that appear outside of its cave, until one day a little boy shows up. The unexpected creature makes an unlikely friendship with this boy who gives him a run for his money. Later, his cave is found empty because he's too busy playing with his new friend!

Evaluation:

The illustrations throughout the book keep the reader wanting m
Maddie
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Theodore starts as an unknown something in a cave that is constantly being approached by animals and debating wether or not to eat them. Finally, a young boy masked as a young knight came roaring through, poking Theodore, and leading him out of the cave. Theodore was a massive dragon! He chased and chased the boy forever, until they both fell laughing on the ground. Now Theodore doesn't spend a lot of time in the cave because he's too busy playing with the young boy.
mary dewley
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love, love, love this book! There is something grumpy lurking in a solitary cave. All the animals are warned to stay away or it will eat them. One day a boy dressed up as a knight visits the cave, and the creature reveals itself and promises to gobble up the boy. This book is laugh out loud and the ending will surprise you! Fun and short enough for any story-time read. You will fall in love with Theodore the dragon!
Jana
This cute picture book uses the story of a grumpy dragon and a rambunctious little boy to share the message that laughter can be powerful in turning thing around and helping good relationships to grow. The grumpy dragon just wants to sit quietly in his cave and be left alone. When the tenacious little boy keeps roaring and poking him, that changes everything. Clever, colorful illustrations and simple, narrative text make this a fun story to share with young readers.
Amy Layton
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Dark picture books with monsters and caves?  Sign me up.  I Will Not Eat You is a fun, suspenseful story for younger audiences who are interested in the spooky and scary.  It's well illustrated, well written, and above all else, well-loved.  It's definitely worth the read, especially as we move ever closer to Halloween...

Review cross-listed here!
Heidi
A cranky dragon who isn’t hungry—yet. When it gets hungry and is interrupted by a noisy boy, the dragon‘s expectations of a meal aren’t met. Make noises when reading! Be expressive! I initially didn’t like the idea of the eating of a child but the outcome of a friendship formed makes this a worthwhile story. Lovely illustrations.
Kristina Jean Lareau
What's DOES this dragon eat? A friendly sentiment, but as the seasons pass during this book, I can't help but wonder what this boy's new friend eats to stay alive.

Jon Klassen-esque illustrations of the mysterious cave dweller make the first half of this picture book more enjoyable than the end.

Still, an entertaining read.
Eileen Carter
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Theodore is thinks everything is something he can eat, only he isn't hungry or is he? Each time something come by he contemplates if he wants to eat it until a little boy comes. But should he eat him? Or maybe chase him?

This is a fun story that will have readers chuckling. The illustrations are bright and pleasing to the eye which will keep the attention of the youngest of readers.
Tracey
This dragon sucks at being a dragon. I'm glad he didn't eat the boy and they know play but the last line says that could change in a heartbeat. The sequel will have Theodore finally devouring the boy, killing the playful mood lol.
Sheri
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Theodore lives in a cave and prefers to be alone and quiet. A bird, a wolf, a tiger, and a boy come to scare him and bother him. The boy provokes him until he comes out to chase him and they have fun and play. And at the end the cave is empty. Find out why by reading this book.
Ian
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile
A grumpy, cantankerous creature who lives in a cave is annoyed by a succession of creatures, each of whom he refuses to eat... then a little boy comes to visit. Funny, surprising, and wickedly charming! This was a big hit at storytime!
SaraKat
May 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Eh. I dislike when picture books play with the food chain. Apparently, if a dragon likes you, he will starve himself and never eat. :) It does show that predators don't just kill indiscriminately and that a non-hungry dragon won't kill everything that comes by.
Tim Johnson
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is about a delightful dragon who has a bad habit of playing with his food and a good habit of saving his snacks for later.

Good for the 3-5 year age group with nice art and an entertaining story.
Laine
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
i love the illustrations, the way theodore's eyes change colour with the colour of the lightening sky. and what a happy ending!
Zoraida Rivera Morales
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Zoraida by: REFOREMO 2019
This book surprised me! Simple in it's plot, it left me thinking about decisions and how they affect our lives. I wonder what kids will see in it! A great book just to laugh... or think about.
Robin
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: smart
SMART 2019 - A lovely picture book, good story, nice message (can't eat someone if you are laughing with them).
Jim Erekson
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
I'm sorry, but the only way you can write a story with this cover is to have someone get eaten. Loads of dramatic tension wasted. The last line was a fun bit of counterpoint, but too late.
Cynthia
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Repetition, humor, and a bit of mystery. The illustrations are captivating!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Is That Wise, Pig?
  • My Pillow Keeps Moving
  • The Storybook Knight
  • McToad Mows Tiny Island
  • A Well-Mannered Young Wolf
  • Mouse and Hippo
  • Is There a Dog in This Book?
  • Star Wars: Are You Scared, Darth Vader?
  • The Little Red Cat Who Ran Away and Learned His ABC's (the Hard Way)
  • Breaking News: Bear Alert
  • Hoot Owl, Master of Disguise
  • The Big Bed
  • What Will Grow?
  • It Came in the Mail
Adam Lehrhaupt is the award-winning author of Warning: Do Not Open This Book!, Please: Open This Book!, Chicken in Space (A six book series: Book 2 Chicken in School lands June 20, 2017), I Will Not Eat You and the upcoming I Don't Draw, I Color (March 21, 2016), Wordplay (July 2017), Idea Jar (Fall 2017), and This is a Good Story (Spring, 2018). He has traveled to six continents, performed on Broadway, and lived on a communal farm. He firmly ...more