Start by marking “Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen: Traditional and Creative Recipes for the Home Cook” as Want to Read:

The ultimate plant-based Indian cookbook by the creator of VeganRicha.com.

From delicious dals to rich curries, flat breads, savory breakfasts, snacks, and much more, this vegan cookbook brings you Richa Hingle’s collection of plant-based Indian recipes inspired by regional cuisines, Indian culture, local foods, and proven methods.

Whether you want to enjoy Indian cooking, t
Published May 19th 2015 by Vegan Heritage Press, LLC (first published May 5th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen

PorshaJo
I can't believe I have never reviewed this one. I have checked it out so many times from my library and I have made many things from Richa's blog. And I loved them all. I really enjoy Indian food but there are just no good places near where I live. Plus, my husband will not eat it under any circumstance. Too bad for him. So this book is perfect for me as I can make my own.

Anyway, this one has so many great recipes from small plates and snacks (yum, potato samosas), to veggie curries, lentils and
Zanna
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am SO grateful for this book. Thank you so much Richa; I don't know how I would manage if you hadn't done all the hard work of writing it. I just wish it was longer, or there were more books like it. <3
Rambling Reader
gorgeous, voluptuous, rich vegan cooking Indian style. truly inspiring.
William Herschel
My life has changed so much. A couple of years ago I never thought I'd be reviewing a cookbook. But I cook meals now for someone, and have grown to like all kinds of new foods in the process. I especially love learning about and eating foods from around the world, and have discovered it is a great way to learn, celebrate, and interact with other cultures and people.

First thing's first -- I'm not a vegan, but I only cook vegetarian. Anything calling for vegan "butter" here will be ghee, and alter
Chelsea
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
As of today, I have cooked three recipes and both my Wife and I liked them all.

I have been on a quest to learn how to make restaurant style Indian food and I still haven't got there with this book, but they taste good.

The downside is of the three recipes they all took a long time to execute.
Rachel Newcomb
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've been a follower of Vegan Richa's blog for awhile and her recipes have always turned out great for me. After checking this out from the library and making a couple things (yellow lentils with spinach, baigan bartha (eggplant), and dosas with masala potatoes, I had to get my own copy. It's a wonderful Indian cookbook (and I have several already) because her recipes are simplified yet seem to taste just as good as the restaurant versions, which can be pretty heavy. These recipes are much light ...more
Sher
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
Excellent. I've read this book cover to cover and made many recipes in it. A great way to learn how to use Indian spices and to make your own spice concoctions. The book is organized by breakfast, bean (dahl) and rice , main entres, desserts, and spice mixes. There is a bread section for nan, crackers, roti, etc. Some gluten free breads too! Each recipe is broken down by how much time to expect to have to devote to making the dish. I'm not vegan, but I don't miss meat in any of Hingle's recipes. ...more
Saunders
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great Indian Cook Book. It has traditional and creative recipes that will appeal also to non-vegan eaters (I'm not vegan).

I love dals, rich curries and something that is appealing different to my palate and this ticks all of my boxes.

On a separate issue and a BIG downside is that there appears to be a practice on Amazon that if you buy something and go back to buy a second copy/item the price magically has gone up. This book had gone up more than £2 in a space of 24 hours. I found it c
Richie Partington
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
This is by far the best cookbook I've ever owned. I've now made more than three dozen recipes from it, and there has not been one that's not worth making a second time. There are lots that have become regular go-to recipes.
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have always been a big fan of Indian cuisine. I loved how it was very vegetable heavy and you had lots of different options for meals without meat. But as I went vegan I soon discovered how many of those vegetarian dishes were full of dairy. So I was happy when I found the food blog Vegan Richa. Not only did she have some authentic Indian dishes, all vegan, she also had some fun Western/fusion dishes. So when Richa Hingle said she was releasing a cookbook all about Indian food, I knew I had to ...more
Ellie
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: veganism, cookbooks
Love it!
This might just be my favourite recipe book ever. Very inspiring - so much delicious food, and I love that there are plenty of pictures.
Jennifer Hanicq
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 stars for the chickpea flour pancakes alone. The chana masala is a favorite and the aloo gobi paired with rice and the sauce from the masala lentil recipe was also fantastic. Can't wait to make so much more from this cookbook.
Cat
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5/5...10/10...100/100! I'm so glad I picked this book up at the library and can't wait to buy it. Indian food is basically the best food (I'm willing to fight you on this) and the recipes in this book do not disappoint.
Joyce
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoy the recipes, whole family. Good read
Erin
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Richa Hingle's books are definitely keepers! Her recipes always taste great. Vegan Richa's Indian kitchen as vegan versions of many of my favorite Indian foods. Much easier and quicker than older traditional Indian cookbooks I have used, although they still can be quite time consuming.
Theresa Daley
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a vegan who loves Indian food, this book is a gem. You'll find so many recipes in here that have been veganized and you will want to send Hingle a birthday you will be so pleased. Clearly set out, great photos and true to stated cooking times. A must, I reckon, for vegan lovers of Indian food.
Margaret
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
Love this cookbook. Pretty much everything I've made has been really good and tasty. Mostly gluten-free or instructions for making recipes so. Many can be made lower calorie if needed. You do want to buy some Indian spices ahead of time in order to make many of these. I suggest deciding on 2-3 recipes, buy the spices for those and make them to make sure you like the taste of this food before you invest in more spices. I found most at a local Indian grocery store and ordered some online.
Tisha (IG: Bluestocking629)
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Yay!!!! Fantastic cookbook.

Some of my faves:

Potato Quinoa Patties
Marsala Lentils
Chickpea Curry

Unbelievable that I can get my American born husband who ate only chicken fingers and fries when I met him, who changed to veggie burgers shortly thereafter, to eat Indian food! Really Italian was the most ethnic food he ate. I'm amazed.....

Great cookbook.
Morgane
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing

I grew up somewhere with a huge Indian population, so Indian food has always been part of my diet but the actual preparation was still a mystery to me. This book is exactly what I needed: it explains the spices you need, the geographical differences, even just what certain words mean. And best of all, there are SO MANY LENTIL RECIPES!! (I fucking love lentils)

So if you like lentils, cauliflower, chickpeas, and cooking with an absurd amount of spices, this book is absolutely for you. And s
Pastel
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vegan-cookbooks
I highly recommend this book if you are a dedicated cook; this book is not for those casually dipping their toes into cookbooks or veganism! The recipes aren't easy, but they're so worth it; this is an amazing introduction into Indian cuisine and the best addition to my cookbook collection in years. If you have the time and inclination (and spice resources!), you will love this photographed filled treasure trove of veganized delights.
Nov 04, 2015 added it
Shelves: cookbooks
I haven't made any of the recipes yet so not giving a rating, but would love to try some out in the future.
Chuck Glenn
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've owned a couple of more traditional Indian cookbooks, and they have needlessly-complicated steps involved. Richa cuts through all this and reduces recipes to the essentials. Every one I have made has come out amazingly good.

I'd like to see her include an alternative for Baingan Bartha where the eggplant is peeled, cubed and cooked in a pressure cooker for 30 minutes on high. This is much easier than grilling or baking it, although one must add a couple drops of "liquid smoke" to compensate
Stephanie
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is packed with fantastic dishes and easy to follow recipes. It's Vegan, yes. Doesn't matter the diet, what matters is the quality of the food. This book deserves every one of it's 5 stars.
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Richa's recipes. They are usually quite simple and super tasty. I make her pad thai all the time. So good and costs way less than buying it from a restaurant that may end up putting meat in your vegan food.
Chris Worthy
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Made my mouth water! I will need to modify to eliminate added oil, but these are wonderful recipes. The ingredient lists are long, but mostly spices. I am looking forward to trying Spiced Roasted Tofu and Vegetables, Spinach Rice and Black-eyed Peas, and Raita.
Ash
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Tried a few recipes and they were really tasty and delicious.
Hana Curry
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Amazing recipes! I just wish there were more that didn't require you to also make a sauce. I recommend this book to people who have lots of time!
Nupur
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
What a great cookbook- I bookmarked a dozen recipes to try.
Karen
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food, nonfiction
There are SO many recipes in here I want to try! I'll be keeping an eye out for it to go on sale. Until then, I'll be getting back in line for this one again at my library.
SunflowerJ SunflowerJ
I like this book. I reread it, as it is a cook book.
Vegan Cooking & C...: Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen 13 81 Sep 22, 2017 10:59AM

• Street Vegan: Recipes and Dispatches from The Cinnamon Snail Food Truck
  • The Homemade Vegan Pantry: The Art of Making Your Own Staples
  • Vegan Holiday Kitchen: More than 200 Delicious, Festive Recipes for Special Occasions
  • Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen: 150 Pizzas, Pastas, Pestos, Risottos, & Lots of Creamy Italian Classics
  • Bake and Destroy: Good Food for Bad Vegans
  • Party Vegan: Fabulous, Fun Food for Every Occasion
  • Teff Love: Adventures in Vegan Ethiopian Cooking
  • Healthy Happy Vegan Kitchen: Over 220 Inspiring Plant-Based Recipes to Transform Your Health
  • The Superfun Times Vegan Holiday Cookbook: Entertaining for Absolutely Every Occasion
  • Blissful Bites: Vegan Meals That Nourish Mind, Body, and Planet
  • Vegan Casseroles: Pasta Bakes, Gratins, Pot Pies, and More
  • The Great Vegan Bean Book
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • Spork-Fed: Super Fun and Flavorful Vegan Recipes from the Sisters of Spork Foods
  • The Taco Cleanse: The Tortilla-Based Diet Proven to Change Your Life
  • Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day: Revolutionary New Takes On Everyone's Favorite On-the-Go Meal
  • Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet
  • Caribbean Vegan: Meat-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free Authentic Island Cuisine for Every Occasion
Hi, I'm Richa! I create flavorful vegan plant based recipes that are inspired by my Indian upbringing, including many gluten-free, soy-free, and oil-free options at http://VeganRicha.com

Find me on social media