Start by marking “The Homemade Vegan Pantry: The Art of Making Your Own Staples” as Want to Read:
The Homemade Vegan Pantry: The Art of Making Your Own Staples

The Homemade Vegan Pantry: The Art of Making Your Own Staples

A guide to creating vegan versions of staple ingredients to stock the fridge and pantry--from dairy and meat substitutes such as vegan yogurt, butter, mayo, bacon, and cheese, to mustards, dressings, pancake mix, crackers, pasta sauces, cookies, and more.
     Kitchen crafters know the pleasure of making their own staples and specialty foods, whether it's cultured sour crea
Published June 16th 2015 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about The Homemade Vegan Pantry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Homemade Vegan Pantry

Start your review of The Homemade Vegan Pantry: The Art of Making Your Own Staples
Morgane
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have never been so excited while reading a cookbook.

I consider myself to be a pretty good cook already, so I'm getting to the point where now I want to make *everything* myself: sauces, cake mixes, bread, etc. This book was exactly what I've been looking for.

Chances are, I'm never, ever going to make any of the meat substitutes, nor do I need to make meringue, but I would buy this book for the condiments section alone. Do you know how easy it is to make your own mustard?! Your own BBQ sauce???
7jane
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
NOTE Allergic people: although this is a book with vegan recipes, it's also useful for those allergic to seafood, eggs, dairy, meats, and some are gluten-free.
That said, it's sometimes frustrating how certain recipes (like, all the cheeses...) are not nut-free, nor are there alternative ways to make recipes without nuts.

Sometimes you might feel a need to make your own vegan staples, which can mean less packaging waste, more healthy ingredients, and having stuff ready when the mood strikes. It ca
April Barrett-Kelly
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I became 100% vegan after watching Cowspiracy and Forks over Knives — both major eye openers. Major concept: consuming a cow's breast milk is not something human beings should be doing (because it is *not* natural!) but that idea is hard for a typical westerner to grasp. I know because I was one of them!

Ugh Cultural Conditioning.

I never thought I'd be able to forego cheese/creamer. Now the thought of putting anything animal related in my body is revolting to say the least. I've completely chang
Melissa Lindsey
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a new vegetarian (one full week!) who is flirting with the idea of becoming vegan, primarily because the food seems so interesting. As I start on this journey, I am trying to review my relationship with food, with an emphasis on how it nourishes my body. I'm not looking to limit my diet by making my food "meatless", but rather hope to expand the foods that I eat. I do prefer to make most of my food and tend to avoid many processed foods. Yes, I have been known to make my own egg noodles, ch ...more
Philippa
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
Absolutely fantastic, a cook after my own heart, who loves making from scratch and keeps waste to a minimum. Even the pulp from homemade soy milk can be used to make "fish" cakes - genius! I like her writing too, very friendly and funny without being effusive. I'd like to buy her a vegan beer sometime, I think we'd get on brilliantly.

With my husband recently going over to dairy free eating (in addition to our existing vegetarian lifestyle) I was dismayed at the idea of returning to, say, dairy-f
K.N.
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-shelf, cookbooks, 2010s
This is probably the best cookbook I've ever bought. That is, it's the most useful and life-changing for me. I'm saving money, eating better, gaining skills and confidence in cooking... This is a must-have for vegans and vegetarians and would also be useful in any home kitchen, especially those who are frugal or want to eat healthier.

Miyoko Schinner's writing style and recipes are so easy to read and understand, they're almost comforting and encouraging. I've looked at recipes for foods that I'd
Kerry
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I almost fainted in ecstasy reading this book, absolutely giddy with the recipes. Vegan cookbooks continue to get better and better, and this one is no exception. Definitely a keeper!
Helen Caddes
This is the book you need to get started creating vegan staples. If I could choose only one book out of all of the books I purchased last year, this would be the book I would keep.

Miyoko's recipes are simple, require mostly standard ingredients, and create some of the most fantastic vegan food I have eaten to date. There is a reason that Miyoko's recipes for vegan cheese come out so good - she actually sells her vegan cheese online. With this book you can make your own ketchup, butter, unribs, u
Megan Orr
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
my dear grandmother was a polish immigrant from the old country, and i spent my childhood sitting in her kitchen watching her make her own everything. how rewarding to now be able to make my own kitchen staples--with animal-friendly and healthy ingredients. it makes me feel as if i am honoring her and tradition when ever i make a recipe from this book. fake meats and cheeses--and the vegan capitalist companies that produce them--be damned. this book hearkens to a distant past, where all food was ...more
Tim
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-drink
This is an attractive book with a great set of clear, not hard to make recipes for vegan basics. If you want to try to make your own soymilk, or vegan cheese, or vegan approximations of meat, then this is a great place to start. It is nicely laid out and well illustrated too. Not every recipe in here is a must have (like the breads for example) but anyone who wants to do some vegan cooking will be interested.
Otto Testla
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Karen
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, favorites
Another excellent resource for vegetarians/vegans! I don't own a lot of cookbooks anymore, but this one makes the cut!
Aja Marsh
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, cookbooks
This book is pretty rad. I haven't made anything from it yet, but was taking it for a spin from the library to see if it's worth purchasing. I think it might be...!
Julie Tuttle
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wonderful cookbook to fill your pantry with homemade vegan staples! Wonderful pictures, tips, and save money too by making your own healthier pantry staples at home. Loves this book.
Lesley
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
The ribs are INCREDIBLE.
Samantha Anthony
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great cook book of all the staples! Would definitely have this in my kitchen if I had one, lol. I mean, Miyoko is the Vegan Culinary Queen!
Miriam
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic quick mouthwatering vegan recipes, can't wait to try them myself this weekend!
Stephanie
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Got some great recipes in here, such as the oyster sauce and teriyaki sauce. They aren't soy based so I can finally make my own. There's a good range of recipes in this book.

The bread recipes are so easy to make and delicious. So worth it to bake fresh bread. No kneading required

4/5 stars
Lilly
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This would have been worth it for the soup section alone ... the "Truly free-range chicken(less) stock," the "got no beef broth," the "rich see-food stock" all create the basis for absolutely outstanding soups. The sea-food cioppino is a revelation. (I don't know how authentic it is, I never liked sea food, so ....)
And the soup concentrates are very handy too!

And then there are the condiments - I am going to single out the vegan fish sauce - if you eat a lot of Thai food, you know how difficult
Verity
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, food, vegan
This is a pretty awesome resource for those wishing to go vegan while sticking to traditional flavours and dishes. There's a bunch of stuff I'm dying to try out, my only complaint is that almost all the recipes that have caught my eye either require ingredients that I don't have, have never heard of or ones I will have to make an effort to buy (as in not available at my local supermarket).
Still, it's a beautiful book that I'll be going back to and experimenting.
Forgot to add that this is not a
Lara
Um, this book is amazing. It's basically how to make super easy vegan versions of pretty much any condiment, soup base, yogurt/sour cream/nut milk, pasta sauce, bread, frosting, pancake mix, meat substitute, or salad dressing you could possibly want. It even tells you how to make your own tofu, and she talks about fresh-made tofu in such a way that I am actually kind of dying to try it (I know, whaaaat???)! She also writes with a sense of humor and a total lack of smugness that I find super refr ...more
Kathleen
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I bought this book because I live in a remote area that doesn't have access to many vegan items like vegan butter and yogurt. I was not disappointed. I love her icecream recipes, her basic biscuit mix, butter and the yogurt is the best I've tried. I give her applause for her well crafted instant macaroni recipe. I use it all the time for a quick sauce for casseroles when I don't feel like soaking cashews. I would recommend this to anyone who loves to make things from scratch.
Nicholas Aune
Aug 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Schinner gives the recipes to stock any modern vegan's pantry with homemade staples, condiments, soups, pastas, sauces, and baked goods. The catch: recipes are hit or miss, very expensive, and often can be found for free online at vegan blogs WITHOUT having to buy this book. Great for reference if you need a quick fix when you can't find something in stock in the "various special diet stuff" section of the grocery store, but no reference that a quick google search can't fix.
Joye
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook, vegetarian
I loved, loved this book! Being a vegetarian and loving to make everything homemade, it was right up my alley. I plan on trying the veggie burger recipe, ketchup and mayonnaise recipe ASAP. I also loved her Artisan Cheese cookbook and made several vegan cheeses with much success. If you like to cook vegan from scratch and get away from processed food, then I highly recommend it.
Becca
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The recipes look easy enough with a few specialty ingredients I'd have to pick up on a trip to the health food store or from Amazon. The ranch type dressing is pretty good. It's a little more tart than I'd like, but I did have to use a coarsely ground mustard instead of dijon which will make it a bit more bitter. I'm excited to try making my own vegan cheese though!
Silvia Quesada
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cocina
I literally read this book in one day. I found myself drooling all over the recipes while making the shopping list of all the things I need to prepare those. My favorite vegan recipe book so far.
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The perfect book I've been looking for

I love to cook and bake, and had pretty much accepted most "make it from scratch" perspective cookbooks would be read with the idea that I'll need to adapt most things in mind. However, there were always things that I couldn't seem to find, or apects of vegan cooking that weren't met by mainstream cookbooks, and most vegan cookbooks were more focused on meal to meal recipes, not base recipes that would fill out your fridge or pantry.

Enter Miyoko Schinner, wh
Charlane Leslie
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book for Those of Us Who Are Moving Toward Vegan Eating

This writer has been gluten-free, mostly dairy-free,, and biblically kosher for more than 15 years. I also attempt to cook without processed food and sugar, and with natural products. Because of my restricted diet I do a lot of searching for suitable recipes. I have discovered that a gluten free whole plant Vegan diet would solve some of my diet challenges. Most of the recipes in this book are suitable for me. I especially enjoyed seei
Lindsay
Dec 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: food-health
I like the idea of a vegan pantry and will for sure try out some of the recipes.

The reasons I didn't give this a higher rating are the following
- Lots of recipes with cashews. There's a chapter where almost all recipes need it.
- Most recipes don't have a picture.
- Some things you can only keep for a few days or a week max. I don't really see it as a staple if you need to use it asap.
- Some recipes have ingredients which are actually other recipes. So you need to make those first before you can
Eva Live
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have made several recipes from this book many times. My favorite is the oat and buckwheat pancake mix. That is a huge favorite, and I have served it to many people, and everyone has loved it. I can't detect any difference in flavor between that and regular wheat pancakes, yet I always feel good after eating it, which isn't the case with regular pancakes. It is my favorite breakfast treat to feed my kids too.

I also have made the chocolate cake mix many times and had rave reviews every time. I l
« previous 1 3 next »

• Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen: Traditional and Creative Recipes for the Home Cook
  • Minimalist Baker's Everyday Cooking: 101 Entirely Plant-based, Mostly Gluten-Free, Easy and Delicious Recipes
  • Isa Does It: Amazingly Easy, Wildly Delicious Vegan Recipes for Every Day of the Week
  • The Oh She Glows Cookbook: Over 100 Vegan Recipes to Glow from the Inside Out
  • Hot for Food Vegan Comfort Classics: 101 Recipes to Feed Your Face
  • The Love and Lemons Cookbook: An Apple-to-Zucchini Celebration of Impromptu Cooking
  • Thug Kitchen Party Grub: For Social Motherf*ckers
  • Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook
  • Thug Kitchen: The Official Cookbook: Eat Like You Give a F*ck
  • Vegan 100: Over 100 Incredible Recipes from Avant-Garde Vegan
  • The Superfun Times Vegan Holiday Cookbook: Entertaining for Absolutely Every Occasion
  • Forks Over Knives—The Cookbook: Over 300 Recipes for Plant-Based Eating All Through the Year
  • The Edgy Veg: 138 Carnivore-Approved Vegan Recipes
  • Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes
  • Sweet Potato Soul: 100 Easy Vegan Recipes for the Southern Flavors of Smoke, Sugar, Spice, and Soul: A Cookbook
  • The How Not to Die Cookbook: 100+ Recipes to Help Prevent and Reverse Disease
  • Mississippi Vegan: Recipes and Stories from a Southern Boy's Heart: A Cookbook