Start by marking “The Homemade Vegan Pantry: The Art of Making Your Own Staples” as Want to Read:
The Homemade Vegan Pantry: The Art of Making Your Own Staples

The Homemade Vegan Pantry: The Art of Making Your Own Staples

A guide to creating vegan versions of staple ingredients to stock the fridge and pantry--from dairy and meat substitutes such as vegan yogurt, butter, mayo, bacon, and cheese, to mustards, dressings, pancake mix, crackers, pasta sauces, cookies, and more.
     Kitchen crafters know the pleasure of making their own staples and specialty foods, whether it's cultured sour crea
Published June 16th 2015 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about The Homemade Vegan Pantry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Homemade Vegan Pantry

Morgane
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have never been so excited while reading a cookbook.

I consider myself to be a pretty good cook already, so I'm getting to the point where now I want to make *everything* myself: sauces, cake mixes, bread, etc. This book was exactly what I've been looking for.

Chances are, I'm never, ever going to make any of the meat substitutes, nor do I need to make meringue, but I would buy this book for the condiments section alone. Do you know how easy it is to make your own mustard?! Your own BBQ sauce???
Melissa Lindsey
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a new vegetarian (one full week!) who is flirting with the idea of becoming vegan, primarily because the food seems so interesting. As I start on this journey, I am trying to review my relationship with food, with an emphasis on how it nourishes my body. I'm not looking to limit my diet by making my food "meatless", but rather hope to expand the foods that I eat. I do prefer to make most of my food and tend to avoid many processed foods. Yes, I have been known to make my own egg noodles, ch ...more
April Barrett
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I became 100% vegan after watching Cowspiracy and Forks over Knives — both major eye openers. Major concept: consuming a cow's breast milk is not something human beings should be doing (because it is *not* natural!) but that idea is hard for a typical westerner to grasp. I know because I was one of them!

Ugh Cultural Conditioning.

I never thought I'd be able to forego cheese/creamer. Now the thought of putting anything animal related in my body is revolting to say the least. I've completely chang
Philippa
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
Absolutely fantastic, a cook after my own heart, who loves making from scratch and keeps waste to a minimum. Even the pulp from homemade soy milk can be used to make "fish" cakes - genius! I like her writing too, very friendly and funny without being effusive. I'd like to buy her a vegan beer sometime, I think we'd get on brilliantly.

With my husband recently going over to dairy free eating (in addition to our existing vegetarian lifestyle) I was dismayed at the idea of returning to, say, dairy-f
K.N.
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010s, cookbooks, on-shelf
This is probably the best cookbook I've ever bought. That is, it's the most useful and life-changing for me. I'm saving money, eating better, gaining skills and confidence in cooking... This is a must-have for vegans and vegetarians and would also be useful in any home kitchen, especially those who are frugal or want to eat healthier.

Miyoko Schinner's writing style and recipes are so easy to read and understand, they're almost comforting and encouraging. I've looked at recipes for foods that I'd
Kerry
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I almost fainted in ecstasy reading this book, absolutely giddy with the recipes. Vegan cookbooks continue to get better and better, and this one is no exception. Definitely a keeper!
T.L. Haddix
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

I'm torn on this book. I loved some aspects of it, and I was really let down by others. Let's get the bad out of the way first, shall we?

Not everyone can have soy. Not everyone wants to build a plant-based diet around soy. If you are that person, the one who can't have soy, this book might not be a good fit for you. Soooo many of the recipes are soy-dependent. That was really, really disappointing. I think it would have been an easy fix, as all the author would have had to do was off
Helen Caddes
This is the book you need to get started creating vegan staples. If I could choose only one book out of all of the books I purchased last year, this would be the book I would keep.

Miyoko's recipes are simple, require mostly standard ingredients, and create some of the most fantastic vegan food I have eaten to date. There is a reason that Miyoko's recipes for vegan cheese come out so good - she actually sells her vegan cheese online. With this book you can make your own ketchup, butter, unribs, u
Megan Orr
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
my dear grandmother was a polish immigrant from the old country, and i spent my childhood sitting in her kitchen watching her make her own everything. how rewarding to now be able to make my own kitchen staples--with animal-friendly and healthy ingredients. it makes me feel as if i am honoring her and tradition when ever i make a recipe from this book. fake meats and cheeses--and the vegan capitalist companies that produce them--be damned. this book hearkens to a distant past, where all food was ...more
Otto Testla
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: test
Aja Marsh
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks, food
This book is pretty rad. I haven't made anything from it yet, but was taking it for a spin from the library to see if it's worth purchasing. I think it might be...!
Karen
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, favorites
Another excellent resource for vegetarians/vegans! I don't own a lot of cookbooks anymore, but this one makes the cut!
Chelidona
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This would have been worth it for the soup section alone ... the "Truly free-range chicken(less) stock," the "got no beef broth," the "rich see-food stock" all create the basis for absolutely outstanding soups. The sea-food cioppino is a revelation. (I don't know how authentic it is, I never liked sea food, so ....)
And the soup concentrates are very handy too!

And then there are the condiments - I am going to single out the vegan fish sauce - if you eat a lot of Thai food, you know how difficult
Verity
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food, non-fiction, vegan
This is a pretty awesome resource for those wishing to go vegan while sticking to traditional flavours and dishes. There's a bunch of stuff I'm dying to try out, my only complaint is that almost all the recipes that have caught my eye either require ingredients that I don't have, have never heard of or ones I will have to make an effort to buy (as in not available at my local supermarket).
Still, it's a beautiful book that I'll be going back to and experimenting.
Forgot to add that this is not a
Lara
Um, this book is amazing. It's basically how to make super easy vegan versions of pretty much any condiment, soup base, yogurt/sour cream/nut milk, pasta sauce, bread, frosting, pancake mix, meat substitute, or salad dressing you could possibly want. It even tells you how to make your own tofu, and she talks about fresh-made tofu in such a way that I am actually kind of dying to try it (I know, whaaaat???)! She also writes with a sense of humor and a total lack of smugness that I find super refr ...more
Kathleen
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I bought this book because I live in a remote area that doesn't have access to many vegan items like vegan butter and yogurt. I was not disappointed. I love her icecream recipes, her basic biscuit mix, butter and the yogurt is the best I've tried. I give her applause for her well crafted instant macaroni recipe. I use it all the time for a quick sauce for casseroles when I don't feel like soaking cashews. I would recommend this to anyone who loves to make things from scratch.
Nicholas Aune
Aug 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Schinner gives the recipes to stock any modern vegan's pantry with homemade staples, condiments, soups, pastas, sauces, and baked goods. The catch: recipes are hit or miss, very expensive, and often can be found for free online at vegan blogs WITHOUT having to buy this book. Great for reference if you need a quick fix when you can't find something in stock in the "various special diet stuff" section of the grocery store, but no reference that a quick google search can't fix.
Becca
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The recipes look easy enough with a few specialty ingredients I'd have to pick up on a trip to the health food store or from Amazon. The ranch type dressing is pretty good. It's a little more tart than I'd like, but I did have to use a coarsely ground mustard instead of dijon which will make it a bit more bitter. I'm excited to try making my own vegan cheese though!
Joye
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook, vegetarian
I loved, loved this book! Being a vegetarian and loving to make everything homemade, it was right up my alley. I plan on trying the veggie burger recipe, ketchup and mayonnaise recipe ASAP. I also loved her Artisan Cheese cookbook and made several vegan cheeses with much success. If you like to cook vegan from scratch and get away from processed food, then I highly recommend it.
Silvia Quesada
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cocina
I literally read this book in one day. I found myself drooling all over the recipes while making the shopping list of all the things I need to prepare those. My favorite vegan recipe book so far.
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The perfect book I've been looking for

I love to cook and bake, and had pretty much accepted most "make it from scratch" perspective cookbooks would be read with the idea that I'll need to adapt most things in mind. However, there were always things that I couldn't seem to find, or apects of vegan cooking that weren't met by mainstream cookbooks, and most vegan cookbooks were more focused on meal to meal recipes, not base recipes that would fill out your fridge or pantry.

Enter Miyoko Schinner, wh
Charlane Leslie
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book for Those of Us Who Are Moving Toward Vegan Eating

This writer has been gluten-free, mostly dairy-free,, and biblically kosher for more than 15 years. I also attempt to cook without processed food and sugar, and with natural products. Because of my restricted diet I do a lot of searching for suitable recipes. I have discovered that a gluten free whole plant Vegan diet would solve some of my diet challenges. Most of the recipes in this book are suitable for me. I especially enjoyed seei
Linda Ruggeri
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a nice vegan book with some neat unique dishes. I liked the extensive use of nuts (in all their forms) throughout a lot of recipes. The photography and quality of the book is beautiful too.
Many vegan staples are explained so you can make them from scratch (almond milk, breads, mayo's, pesto's, cheeses).
I definitely recommend this book for anyone looking to go full vegan who has the time and energy to devote themselves to making these at home (especially when shelf life for many is so l
Rebecca
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read it cover to cover when I finally got this precious book from the library (after a two month wait). With only three weeks to test so many good recipes, I've had such fun making dijon mustard, artisan crackers, cashew/soy milks and creams, melty cheeses, overnight breads, and rustic pasta. I even made a quiche with the flaxseed eggs (delicious of course).

What I love about Miyoko is that she inspires me to be in my kitchen making delicious food from scratch instead of stuffing junk food wit
Merry Love
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Wow. This book is so great for making your own non-dairy, non-meat, and/or non-egg staples.

I've used recipes for butter, mayo, ketchup, ice cream, and condensed milk so far. It also goes into how to make lots of different fake vegan "meats".

It is great for someone looking to make their own alternatives because they can't find vegan versions in stores or want to have control over the ingredients and omit preservatives.
Anastasia
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
By far one of the most exciting and useful cookbooks I have held in my hands. It is empowering to find how many pantry staples I can make at home with little effort.
Sometimes the recipes require obscure ingredients that may not be easy to find. But mostly it’s really simple everyday stuff. What a pleasure to make my own ketchup and vegan oyster sauce at home!
Cait
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Good resource to learn some vegan options of staple foods. My only issue is that a lot of the recipes use obscure/expensive ingredients that have to be purchased at specialty stores or online, which makes being able to test drive some of these recipes a bit difficult. I don't want to shell out $20 for liquid lecithin only to find out I hate the taste of the "butterless butter", you know?
Katie
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I probably won't make any of the meat substitutes, but everything else looks amazing!!! I can't wait to make my own vegan cheeses, breads and condiments! I love that everything is from scratch and I can make my own mixes for things and store them for whenever I need them.
Becky Holm
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic ideas

All of the reasons to not give up are found in this book! Easy to follow directions. Helpful links and additional ideas... like the author is right there with you brainstorming what to make next!
Diane Lanquetot
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Crazy, crazy good cookbook. Stunning photography. Enticing recipes, about 40 of which I've already tagged to try. Reads like wonderfully curated expertise from a trusted old friend. Thank you Miyoko, for this labor of love for the vegan community and for all cooks everywhere.
  • Food52 Vegan
  • Cookin' Crunk: Eatin' Vegan in the Dirty South
  • Chloe's Vegan Desserts: More than 100 Exciting New Recipes for Cookies and Pies, Tarts and Cobblers, Cupcakes and Cakes--and More!
  • Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet
  • Quick-Fix Vegan: Healthy, Homestyle Meals in 30 Minutes or Less
  • The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet: 101 Globally Inspired Vegan Creations Packed with Fresh Flavors and Exciting New Tastes
  • Street Vegan: Recipes and Dispatches from The Cinnamon Snail Food Truck
  • Candle 79 Cookbook: Modern Vegan Classics from New York's Premier Sustainable Restaurant
  • Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day: Revolutionary New Takes On Everyone's Favorite On-the-Go Meal
  • Vegan Holiday Kitchen: More than 200 Delicious, Festive Recipes for Special Occasions
  • Vegan Casseroles: Pasta Bakes, Gratins, Pot Pies, and More
  • Crossroads: Extraordinary Recipes from the Restaurant That Is Reinventing Vegan Cuisine
  • The Great Vegan Bean Book
  • Bake and Destroy: Good Food for Bad Vegans
  • Betty Goes Vegan: Over 500 Classic Recipes for the Modern Family
  • Healthy Happy Vegan Kitchen: Over 220 Inspiring Plant-Based Recipes to Transform Your Health
  • Happy Herbivore Light & Lean: Over 150 Low-Calorie Recipes with Workout Plans for Looking and Feeling Great
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus