Start by marking “Stoicism Today: Selected Writings” as Want to Read:
Stoicism Today: Selected Writings

Stoicism Today: Selected Writings

From Stoic ethics to emotions, from Stoic mayors and mindfulness to practical philosophy, parenting, psychotherapy and prisons, from Star Trek and Socrates to Stoic lawyers, literature and living in general, this book brings together a wide-ranging collection of reflections on living the Stoic life today. You'll read advice on coping with adversity, reflections on happines ...more
Kindle & Paperback, 197 pages
Published September 2014 by Stoicism Today

To ask other readers questions about Stoicism Today, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stoicism Today

Start your review of Stoicism Today: Selected Writings
Patafyzak
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a hard book to rate. The book is a selection of texts that differs in style as well as quality, but the really good essays provides profound insights, academic as well as practical.
If you are new to Stoicism, or you want to know how stoic practice differs from f.x. cognitive behavioral therapy and types of meditation, this is a great place to start.
Stephen Simpson
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lot better than a expected. Most of these " Today" types of books tend to be trite wastes of time, but this was actually pretty solid. Not all of the entries were great, but on the whole it was well worth reading, especially for those interested in how to integrate Stoicism into modern life.
Steven
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
This book is very useful for readers who are interested in getting a nuanced picture of Stoicism. The scope is not solely academic, but also testimonies of people who have successfully managed to incorporate this philosophy into their daily life (a.o. medical professionals, but also parents, a teacher and a mayor).

Especially the testimony of Helen Rudd touched me. She was brain damaged in a car accident and was in a coma for three weeks. Later on she got severely depressed when she realized how
Sonia  Belviso
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My expectation for his book was pretty much academic, but it turned out to be the most unexpected, practical, sort of self-help book on implementing several stoic practices into daily activities. The book covers a wide range of areas where stoic approach can be applied.

Some quotes:
"All you need to muster, in order to benefit from Epictetus’s advice here, is some level of appreciation for finding yourself alive in a cosmos you did not create and in which you are given, along with your share of tr
Laurent Franckx
Oct 19, 2018 rated it liked it
This book consists of a series of essays from various authors on the relevance of stoicism today. The topics and approaches vary widely, but so does (alas) the quality and relevance of the individual essays. The three stars should be seen as an average score.
Dan
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great Stoic Stories

This was a fun book to read. If you want to learn Stoic as is in modern times, this book is for you.
Kevin Hozak
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great selection of writings about Stoicism. I'm reading the second book now.
Pamela
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Some of my blog posts are featured in this book along with some of my husband's, so it feels a little hypocritical to rate, but I have rated this based on the other articles. I have found it a broad examination of the interest in Stoicism in our modern world. This is not a dead philosophy but one that is experiencing a vibrant resurge of interest. A philosophy that is extremely relevant in our modern society today.
Colin
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An excellent collection of essays on Stoicism as it is understood and practiced today!

I follow many of the authors of these essays, and I am continually impressed by their insight into Stoicism and how it is currently understood and practiced. A prospective student looking for insight into modern Stoicism ought to be encouraged to check out this collection!
John W. Leys
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good eclectic collection of articles on Stoic Philosophy taken from the excellent blog of the same name. A good read for anyone interested in Stoicism. All of the articles may not appeal to all readers, but there is, I think, something for everyone.
Liz Echavarria
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Had A Calming Effect

After getting through some of the stories I was able to gain some perspective on what it means to be stoic and utilize some stoic principles in my own life.
Beavis
paul
Jan 18, 2015
Eric Kalnins
Jun 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A most enjoyable selection of articles centred on Stoicism

08.58

• How to Be a Stoic: Using Ancient Philosophy to Live a Modern Life
  • The Obstacle Is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph
  • Lessons in Stoicism: What Ancient Philosophers Teach Us about How to Live
  • Musonius Rufus: Lectures and Sayings
  • Mountolive (The Alexandria Quartet #3)
  • Against the Double Blackmail: Refugees, Terror and Other Troubles with the Neighbours
  • Cecilia
  • Heart of a Dog
  • Balthazar (The Alexandria Quartet #2)
  • Why I Write
  • Stoicism and the Art of Happiness (Teach Yourself)
  • Good-Bye, Mr. Chips
  • Unlikely Return: A Novel
  • Summer Frost
  • Comet in Moominland (The Moomins, #2)
  • Clea (The Alexandria Quartet #4)
  • The Daily Stoic: 366 Meditations for Clarity, Effectiveness, and Serenity
  • The Stoic Challenge: A Philosopher's Guide to Becoming Tougher, Calmer, and More Resilient
Patrick has written two books (Stoicism & Western Buddhism, POTS: What It Really Is & Why It Happens) and edited two more (Stoicism Today: Selected Writings Volumes 1&2). He is a former member of the Stoicism Today project and started and ran the the Stoicism Today blog from 2012 until 2016.

He has a YouTube Channel (POTS: What It Really Is) which aims to be of help for those who have the conditio

Related Articles

“Stoicism is about Joy, Serenity, Meaning and Purpose. It is about being a useful and important member of society.” 2 likes
“Emotions: our emotions are the project of our judgements, of thinking that something good or bad is happening or is about to happen. Many of our negative emotions are based on mistaken judgements, but because they are due to our judgements it means they are within our control. Change the judgements and you change the emotions. Despite the popular image, the Stoic does not repress or deny his emotions; instead he simply aims not to have negative emotions in the first place. The aim, therefore, is to overcome harmful, negative emotions that are based on mistaken judgments while embracing correct positive emotions, replacing anger with joy.” 1 likes