Start by marking “Pickles and Ponies: A Fairy-Tale” as Want to Read:

Pickles and Ponies: A Fairy-Tale

(Radugan Tales #1)

Wishing Shelf Independent Book Awards Finalist 2014

"like a fantasy cousin to Xanth" - Piers Anthony

"a fairy-tale for grown-ups chiseled with sweet cynicism on a bedrock of puns" - Sorin Suciu, author of The Scriptlings

What happens when you take a heartless prince, a talking horse, a brain-washed princess, and a bunch of fish, and stick them all together in a world of puns?
Published September 21st 2014 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Pickles and Ponies, please sign up.
Laura May "Poke: the Pokequel". I like it! I started on book two, though have set it aside while I focus on grown-up life. Whereas book one is about fairytale r…more"Poke: the Pokequel". I like it! I started on book two, though have set it aside while I focus on grown-up life. Whereas book one is about fairytale romance, book two is about fairytale revenge, so a little darker. Possibly less punny. (That last part... may have been a fib.)(less)

Start your review of Pickles and Ponies: A Fairy-Tale
Mary
Nov 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
As a forewarning, Laura and I are friends on Goodreads and I think she's an absolutely wonderful person. She asked me to read her book and review it fairly. I did and I will. And thank you Laura, for allowing me the opportunity to read and review your work!

The fact that Laura is a wonderful person and my friend has absolutely no bearing on my outlook of this book.

I took drama all four years of high school because I loved it. Pretending to be a different person? Sign me up! Anyway, like in most
Craig Sisterson
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Pickles and Ponies: A Fairy-Tale is an adult fairy tale from a first-time Australian author that both utilises and subverts traditional fairy tale themes in a rather delightful way.

If you like wordplay, you'll love the writing of Laura May, who seems to have written this book with a knowing smirk on her face, tongue alternatively in cheek or poking out. I want to use the phrase Shrek-esque, in that Pickles and Ponies: A Fairy-Tale pin-pricks the familiar fairy tale tropes we've grown up with, v
Laura May
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
What a great book. The author is clearly *super* talented! :p
Michael Schaefer
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Melodia, Princess of Rather Fishlike Things, has a problem. She has just turned 16, and she is the very picture of a perfect princess--but her Prince Charming has not yet deigned to make an appearance. This is, of course, entirely unacceptable, and so she does the only sensible thing in this situation: She decides to become a damsel in distress on an island in the middle of a lake where she waits for her prince to rescue her.

The prince chosen to make the perilous journey to rescue Melodia is Van
Jay Cutts
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love discovering independent writers and yet I have a pretty critical eye when it comes to fiction. I am happy to report that I very much enjoyed Laura May's novel, Pickles and Ponies.

Another reviewer referred to this as a middle grade novel but it strikes me as fundamentally written for adults and it does work well as an adult novel. One of the elements that I most enjoyed was the story's exploration of love. This exploration is carried out in a light and affectionate way. It's kept simple, w
Billy Buttons
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was recently entered in The Wishing Shelf Book Awards. This is what our readers thought:

Star Rating: 5 stars
Number of Readers: 29

Readers’ Comments
‘This is a very fun book for adults and teenagers. It is a fairy tale but different. I liked the comedy in it.’ Girl, aged 13
‘My two teenagers enjoyed this book. I was rather surprised at the content; the title and cover design suggest it is for much younger children. The publisher might want to alter the cover to entice the correct reader to
Simon Wheeler
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Laura May has written a fairy tale for adults. Although it has princes, princesses and various fantastical creatures, its story, just like the fairy tales of old, is designed to convey a moral lesson.

Behind the completely mad characters and situations, (a cross between Spike Milligan and Monty Python) and a generous sprinkling of groanworthy puns, is a moral about true love. And even then, there is the difference between fairy tale "true love" and a much more modern idea of real love.

In amongst
Hobart
Nov 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads
Everybody knows that good princesses are always pretty, just like wicked step-mothers are always ugly and covered in warts: and Melodia was no exception to this rule. By this time she was nearly nineteen, and she was tall and healthy, with rather a wistful look to her. You probably want to know her hair colour as well, because you’ve heard how that impacts upon personality. Scientists all over Raduga (with the word ‘scientist’ being used somewhat loosely) have conducted several studies into the
Isana Skeete
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of NetGalley for review.

I really love Fairy-Tales and modern non-retellings of fairy tales always make me happy. So I really did enjoy this.

The tone that May sets is very cute and like a fairy tale. It's very much a story being told to you and you are very aware and if you like it, you like it. I can understand how this would be a very easy book to hate if you do not like the writing style from the beginning because that's how it continues.

Most of the characters and things ar
Rebecca Kent
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. When I first started reading it, I wasn't 100% sure if it was a book aimed at adults or children - it encompasses the whimsy of a Diana Wynn-Jones novel (magical lands! talking ponies! mermaids!) with the kooky wit and word play of Douglas Adams.

Although the book ultimately leans more to an adult audience, I think the morals within are ageless. I'd hope my (future) young teen son or daughter would read a book like this. The characters actually GROW throughout the tale
Rhian Jones
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Pickles and Ponies is a clever, charming and captivating fairy-tale, with a sprinkling of satire to cut through the sweetness. Reminiscent of Goldman's The Princess Bride, or Roald Dahl's Tales of the Unexpected, nothing is quite as it seems in the Kingdom of Raduga. Laura May skilfully leads the reader through this enchanted land, where you can expect to encounter nasty Gu-Fairies, The Princess of Rather Fishlike Things and The Great Poke.

Not safe for children (unless you want to answer an awf
Jessica Ford
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Pickles and Ponies has all the hallmarks of a classic fairytale. There's a princess waiting for true love, a prince tasked with completing a great quest in order to inherit his kingdom, a talking horse who secretly dreams of a career as an acrobatic pony... Wait, a talking horse?!

Ok, so this fairytale is a little different.

The author makes good use of a familiar storyline, introducing along the way a host of unusual and often hilarious characters who inhabit the magical land of Raduga. There are
Sorin Suciu
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, humour
“Pickles and Ponies” is a fairy-tale for grown-ups chiseled with sweet cynicism on a bedrock of puns. Piers Anthony himself calls it “a fantasy cousin of Xanth”, and I particularly love this comparison because it correctly implies a common ancestor rather than sheer mimicry.

Aside for the natural ease with which Laura summons clever puns, I was thoroughly impressed with her ability to craft fascinating tangents. Tangents are not easy to write, and they are certainly not easy to embed in the fabri
Michael Mardel
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Pickles and Ponies by Laura May is a delightful, albeit long, middle grade story from an Australian author. She has taken a fairy tale about a Princess, Melodia, waiting for her Prince, Vanya. Unfortunately, the Prince can't feel with his heart and their initial meeting ends with him spending 7 years with the Great Beard. A rescued friend, Prince Theo, also spends 7 years with the Great Poke after he helped Theo with his OverEmphaticProblem. Then there's Horse who can feel and express feelings f ...more
Dasha
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Having been brought up in Russia, I personally enjoyed Laura’s interesting spin on traditional Russian fairy-tales. Packed with familiar to me words and names, Pickles and Ponies took me right back to my childhood.

The author's wild imagination kept me entertained throughout this book, filled with charismatic characters and endless puns.

Apart from being a captivating story of love, friendship and courtship, Pickles and Ponies challenges conservative perception of men and women’s roles. From my p
Sophie Constable
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Sophie by: Wattpad
This book is one of the funniest books I have ever read. Everything is just amazingly funny and all of the puns work. (Even if you do end up groaning by the end). The characters are also well crafted and there is a definite sense of development which I wasn't really expecting. I did read this on Wattpad but I would definitely spend money on it. Everyone should read this book! ...more
L F Griffin
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
May's dynamic storytelling kept me smiling with delight from beginning to end. Word plays, an unapologetic narrative, the merging of extreme otherworldliness with familiar moralistic occurrences... Awesome!
Gwen
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Pickles and Ponies: A Fairy-Tale was a difficult book for me to get through. I almost put it down and stopped reading entirely a few times. It is full of silly, nonsense reasonings the author seems to believe are clever. There is a quote in the book, "Theo was one of those rare but unforgettable people given to word play. This is obviously a very witty and hilarious way to express oneself, and not annoying at all." I'm sorry, but I found it annoying.

The title and description appealed to me, but
Lindsay
Feb 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I received this book for free as part of the Goodreads Giveaways. While I generally love fairy-tales, this book was difficult for me to finish. The plot jumps back and forth between several side stories throughout the entire book, often leaving me lost when I resumed reading even just a day later. While it wasn't terrible, it isn't a book I would choose to read again. ...more
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Katharine is a judge for the Aurealis Awards. This entry is the personal opinion of Katharine herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

To be safe, I won't be recording my thoughts (if I choose to) here until after the AA are over.
Julia Foster
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
It took me about a year to get through the first couple of chapters and then I couldn't put it down! Such a great get-away from reality (and school) ...more
Sonderingly
Nov 10, 2019
Joel Walker
Nov 05, 2014
Hannah
rated it did not like it
Feb 26, 2017
April
Sep 25, 2014
SARIT
Sep 25, 2014

• Thirty Years a Detective (Pinkerton, #17)
  • The Hero and the Crown (Damar, #2)
  • Parachute Infantry: An American Paratrooper's Memoir of D-Day and the Fall of the Third Reich
  • The Liar
  • The Tigress of Forlì: Renaissance Italy's Most Courageous and Notorious Countess, Caterina Riario Sforza de Medici
  • A Voyage Long and Strange: Rediscovering the New World
  • The Builders
  • Boone: A Biography
  • Apple Pie and Trouble (Sandy Bay #1)
  • Richard and John: Kings at War
  • You Have Arrived at Your Destination
  • Summer Frost
  • Emergency Skin
  • The Soul of America: The Battle for Our Better Angels
  • The Privilege of the Sword (Riverside, #2)
  • The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn't (Parasol Protectorate, #0.5)
  • Subterranean Scalzi Super Bundle
  • The Art of Making Money: The Story of a Master Counterfeiter
Laura is an Australian who keeps forgetting she's meant to stay in the same place. She loves adventures-which is good, because she's constantly winding up in the middle of them. When she's not accidentally finding herself in the middle of a riot, being tear-gassed or jumping into frozen rivers, she enjoys sailing, snowboarding, and making an obnoxious number of puns.

You can follow Laura and her la