Start by marking “The Sand Dollar (The Oregon Coast Series Book 1)” as Want to Read:
The Sand Dollar (The Oregon Coast Series Book 1)

The Sand Dollar

(The Oregon Coast series #1)

What if you discover everything you believed to be true about yourself has been a lie?

Stunned by news of an impending redundancy, and impelled by the magic of a long-forgotten sand dollar, widow Jenny Sullivan retreats to her godmother in Oregon to consider her future.

What she doesn’t bargain for is to uncover the secret of her adoption at birth and her Native American he
Published October 26th 2014 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about The Sand Dollar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sand Dollar

Start your review of The Sand Dollar (The Oregon Coast Series Book 1)
Brenda
4.5s

Jenny Sullivan was shocked, angry, saddened – the news that the position she held was disappearing; a job she had loved for the past ten years – what would she do? Her best friend Rosa did her best to console her but finally Jenny decided to take leave and go to Oregon to visit her beloved godmother whom she hadn’t seen for quite some time. She would work out her future while in Maddy’s company. Jenny lived in Noosa Australia, and loved everything about it. Her life had been filled with ups
Sharon
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jenny Sullivan is lost for words and feels quite emotional when she finds out that the job she has enjoyed doing for the last ten years is coming to an abrupt end.

The timing could not have been better when Jenny gets a letter from her godmother Maddy in Oregon who asks her to come and visit her as there are things she needs to discuss with her face to face. Just before Jenny received her godmothers letter she came across an object at the bottom of one of her drawers when she was cleaning it out
Rita Chapman
Apr 14, 2017 rated it liked it
It was lovely to read a book where the main character, Jenny, lives on the beautiful Sunshine Coast in Australia, my own home turf. When her career hits a major bump Jenny heads for Oregon, USA to visit her godmother and meets her neighbour, Mike. This story has likeable characters and is an entertaining read.
booklover BEV
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
loved reading this book the first in the oregon coast series.
Simone
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aww-2015, for-website
Jenny Sullivan is at the tail end of her successful career, but still the news that she will soon be made redundant leaves her shaken and a bit lost. While her children see it as an opportunity for her to become a live in babysitter for them she knows that she wants her retirement to be more about her. Randomly coming across a sand dollar in her home, it immediately brings back memories of her godmother Maddy in Oregon. On a whim Jenny decides she will visit Maddy and forget about her other life ...more
Bodicia
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
High flying career grandmother Jenny Sullivan is stunned when a restructuring at work causes her to lose her job. Whilst clearing her house, she finds a sand dollar which she found on a beach when she was a child and visiting her godmother Maddy. Deciding to visit Maddy, she leaves Australia and heads for Oregon in the USA to give herself the breathing space to decide what to do next.

Widow Mike Halliday has moved in to the holiday home his wife and he loved so much in Oregon and is planning a so
Rosie Amber
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Sand Dollar is a piece of contemporary fiction. Sixty year old Jenny lives in Queensland Australia. The company she works for is making her redundant which has rather shocked her. Jenny's son and daughter believe this is good news as she'll be able to help them both out with baby-sitting, but Jenny wants more from life.

She decides to travel to Oregon to visit her Godmother Maddy. Mike Halliday, a widower, has also decided to move to Seal Rock, Oregon after the death of his wife. He wants a q
Heather Parker
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the Sand Dollar: Loved Band of Gold as well. Puts me in mind of books by Liz Brynski - of mature women who are not "washed up". LOVE the cover pic (Jane Dixon-Smith) and can't wait for the Broken Thread and the Dreamcatcher. I live on the Sunshine Coast and am considering pretending Maggie Christensen is my Author name.
Tony Harrington
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book even though I read book 2 in the Oregon Coast series first. The beautiful settings on the Oregon Coast and Sunshine Coast are the ideal background for a beautifully written mature love story. The characters and the problems they face in life are both interesting and realistic. Can't wait for the third book in the series.
Beverly J McGinnis
Enjoyable reading

Unraveling the mystery was interesting, but it seemed to slow with Jenny and Mike trying to figure out where they stood with each other. I found it amusing how the American characters spoke using Australian colloquialisms such as:

Ring you Instead of Call you
Come round instead of Come over
Takeaway instead of Takeout
A lie down instead of A rest
Called in instead of Stopped by
Rub along Instead of Get along
Hire car instead of Rental car
Get a coffee Instead of Get some coffee

I’m not b
Cheryl
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy
The author allows the reader to get to know the characters and their interactions between all characters. Lovely story of mistakes persons make and the turmoil of such actions. From several different generations and locations, the scenes until with the reader turning pages to see what it if these things will get settled. Wonderful story with some sadness, loneliness, love, and romance intertwined to a great ending!
I was given this free in exchange for an honest review. I loved this book and can
April
The Oregon Coast Series, Book 1
: Maggie Christensen

This is book 1 in this series. I listened to book 2 before this one, and felt the need to listen to this one. I was drawn in and was hooked. I stayed up half the night to find out if a second love after 50 could happen. There were plenty of twists and turns and drama. Now I need to find the third book.

The narration was well done. The characters were well portrayed by Gail Hedrick.

I was given this free review copy audiobook at my r
Judy Lovely
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my first read from this author and I loved this book. So many stories are centered around main characters in their 20s and 30s. It was so nice to read a romance about people that are in my age bracket. Jenny and Mike are well developed characters who both find their second chance. Their story is special. And I love Massey. I’m loving king forward to continuing this series with Ellen’s story. Highly recommend.
Lena West
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another beautiful second chance romance from Maggie Christensen, a master of this genre. Imagine suddenly finding out you're not who you thought you were! Add in a new romance and a new career to finding a whole new family, and Jenny really had her hands full. I couldn't put this book down and look forward to the next.
George Hoganson
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love is for everyone

Living alone can be a good thing, but finding love is better. Learning to be open to possibilities and being ready to change is difficult at any age, but even more so to those who have given up the idea of finding love. I recommend this book to everyone but especially to those whose companions have been taken.
Diane Bailey
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Engaging

Enjoyable and a little slow moving tale of rediscovering
purpose and direction in what youth would term "over the hill" lives. Loved the setting in Oregon. Some of the phraseology and colloquialisms I assume are Australian,but fun. Good yarn.
SUE
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story. Couldn't put it down. . The couple walk along the beach often and I found it relaxed me also. This is book 1 and awaiting the others. Good ending.
Janine
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How refreshing is it to read a book that not only has an engaging story in it but is steered towards relationships with mature aged adults.

This tells the story of Jenny who is a victim of company restructuring despite being a competent and loyal employee for years. At the same time her godmother who lives in Oregon, USA writes to her asking for a visit as she has things she needs to discuss with Jenny. Needing a break anyway from work and family pressures she takes long service leave and flies t
Jo Barton
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
When Jenny Sullivan finds a sand dollar amongst her cherished possessions, it brings back memories of the happy times she spent in Oregon, USA with her godmother Maddy. Jenny unexpectedly discovers that the job she has enjoyed for the last ten years is about to come to an end and in order to make sense of this catastrophic event, she makes the momentous decision to travel from her home in Queensland ,Australia to Oregon in order to spend some special time with her godmother. Forced into making s ...more
InD'tale Magazine
“The Sand Dollar” is an epic tale of mature characters rediscovering life in the Pacific Northwest.

Read full review in the 2015 May issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Clare Scanlan
Nov 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Pleasant story, some nice twists
Janine
Jan 20, 2015 rated it liked it
I didn't really relate to or like the main character.
Cheryl-ann Martin
Belvia Brandsma
Feb 06, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
99 cent Bestsellers: 99c The Sand Dollar 1 1 May 17, 2015 03:06PM

• The Cedar Tree (Tullagulla Book 1)
  • Born In The Outback
  • Home Fires
  • Charlie's Will (Barrington Book 1)
  • Reaching for the Stars
  • Girl Alone: An Australian Outback Romance
  • The Football Whisperer
  • Something in the Wine
  • Joanie's Dilemma (A Bindarra Creek Romance #12)
  • Country at Heart
  • The Silent Daughter
  • Tamsin (Pentecost Island Book 4)
  • The Postmistress
  • Outback Fear
  • Holding onto Hope
  • Hide Away (Rachel Marin Thriller #1)
  • Something to Talk About
  • Cotton Field Dreams (A Mindalby Outback Romance)
After a career in education, Maggie Christensen began writing contemporary women’s fiction portraying mature women facing life-changing situations. Her travels inspire her writing, be it her frequent visits to family in Oregon, USA or her home on Queensland’s beautiful Sunshine Coast. Maggie writes of mature heroines coming to terms with changes in their lives and the heroes worthy of them.
From he

The Oregon Coast series (3 books)
  • The Dreamcatcher (The Oregon Coast series #2)
  • Madeline House (The Oregon Coast Series #3)