Start by marking “Inspector Hobbes and the Gold Diggers (Unhuman #3)” as Want to Read:
Inspector Hobbes and the Gold Diggers (Unhuman #3)

Inspector Hobbes and the Gold Diggers

(Unhuman #3)

Receiving unwanted attention after foiling an armed robbery, the unhuman Inspector Hobbes takes a long-overdue camping holiday, with Andy, his accident-prone friend, and Dregs, the delinquent dog. In the bleak and dangerous Blacker Mountains, Andy stumbles across something shocking, before falling for an attractive widow, while Hobbes wonders why an old gold mine has ...more
Published September 30th 2014 by The Witcherley Book Company (first published September 27th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Inspector Hobbes and the Gold Diggers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inspector Hobbes and the Gold Diggers

Start your review of Inspector Hobbes and the Gold Diggers (Unhuman #3)
carol.
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Recommended for fans of puns, bumbling companions

Something about this series has proven to be a perfect little in-betweener, amusing reads that go down smoothly without late nights or missed appointments. The third in a series about Inspector Hobbes and the hapless Andy, Inspector Hobbes and the Gold Diggers details the adventures of the two as they go on holiday and investigate a bank robbery. For those who have yet to read the series, this installment can stand alone. However, there is background mystery to a couple of characters revealed
Alisi ☆ wants to read too many books ☆
My favorite of this series. I loved it all, from start to finish. Well, mostly all of it.
Wing Kee
Nov 21, 2018 rated it liked it
A strong focus on character makes this another good entry in the series.

World: The world building is good once again, it’s very casual and cozy in the way in which it introduces new pieces to the world, especially the supernatural. Additionally the fact that the world building is mostly tied to characters and their origins and past makes this world feel lived in, cohesive and real. The new Vampire and also the gold angle was interesting and I really liked the locale change this time around, it
kartik narayanan
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read the full review at my blog Digital Amrit

This, he’d stated, was neither a punishment, nor that my name had sprung to mind as a competent and reliable reporter. It was because no one else was available. Such remarks, typical of the man, made me question why I worked for him. I wouldn’t have, had I believed anyone else would employ me, and had I dared hand in my notice, for the Editorsaurus was a big, scary man, yet neither as big or scary as Hobbes, if rumours were to be believed … and I
Carolyn Injoy
I received a free kindle copy of Inspector Hobbes & the Gold Diggers unhuman III (humorous mystery) by Wilkie Martin published by The Witcherley Book Company from NetGalley for fair review. I gave it four stars. It reached my quirky sense of humor.

Andy Caplet, the disaster prone side kick of Inspector Hobbes might have found romance on a visit to the Blacker Mountains. (view spoiler)
Koeur
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it

Publisher: The Witcherley Book Company
Publishing Date: September 2014
ISBN: 9780957635180
Genre: Fantasy
Rating: 4.5

Publisher Description: Receiving unwanted attention after foiling an armed robbery, the unhuman Inspector Hobbes takes a long-overdue camping holiday, with Andy, his accident-prone friend, and Dregs, the delinquent dog. In the bleak and dangerous Blacker Mountains, Andy stumbles across something shocking, before falling for an attractive
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Compared to the previous book, this one has a couple of huge improvements. Andy's behaviour isn't as obnoxious. I mean, he is completely dumb only once here. He no longer jumps when Mrs. Goodfellow speaks and he genuinely cares for Hobbes. He cared before too, but this time he shows us that too.
In 'Inspector Hobbes and the Gold Diggers' Andy finally settles with these weird and wonderful people.

Another thing I loved is you finally get more information about Hobbes. And I love this character so
Tanya Avines
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The magic is back! I was worried a bit when Mrs. Goodfellow went to visit a relative, and I absolutely could not stand Kathy's rudeness. But the old banter, witty jokes & Mrs. Goodfellows return, plus a little mystery, made for another fun book. Love Dregs, Hobbes & Andy.
David Grieve
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
More of the same. Great fun, intriguing and engrossing. If you like one you'll like them all. Gentle self-deprecating humour some of which is laugh out loud funny.
Kim
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a really entertaining book and the latest in the Inspector Hobbes series, but, the first one I have read. I want to rate it 4 1/2 stars, actually, but, I can't give that rating here.

The world of Inspector Hobbes and his side-kick, Andy Caplet, is a fantastical place filled with unsuspecting humans, other-worldly folk, vampires and lots of mythical and unusual creatures, all living together in rural England. Hobbes is a policeman and has super-human strength and power beyond any ordinary
TheManOfLetters
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In my opinion the best book in the series so far. Hobbes, Mrs. Goodfellow and all the other usual suspects from Sorenchester are as quirky and charming as ever and there are a couple of interesting new additions, my favourite being the local banker/vampire Sid.
Wilkie Martin has also finally managed to find some sort of balance between narrator Andy Caplet's streaks of bad luck, his disposition between self-pity and self-deprication and him actually showing some backbone, the latter interestingly
Betty
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books
I have become a fan of Inspector HOBBS and Andy Caplet. This funny tale had me smiling and laughing as I read it. This story of the unhuman set in Cotswold. The players are so well developed that I can see them in action. The Inspector is huge, strong and fast. He can be either tough and friendly as the needs may be. Beware don't mistreat a woman in his presence. Poor Andy means well but makes a lot of mistakes. When he in in trouble HOBBS shows up. Other Important people are Mrs Goodfellow, ...more
Sherry Wilson
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
A thoroughly delightful story. As before, Andy's misadventures had me in stitches laughing. It so nice to occasionally read a mystery with humor. I only hope there will be more adventures with Andy and Hobbes.
AudioBookReviewer
My original Inspector Hobbes and the Gold Diggers audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Creepy, Kooky, Mysterious and Quirky!!! Hobbes and Andy are at it again! Hobbes takes a vacation to the Blacker Mountains and Andy goes with him – they are going to rough it … and of course, poor Andy finds himself smack dab in the middle of a murder case, falling for a smart and beautiful widow, dinner with a vampire, and struggling to maintain his space in Hobbes’ home!

Hobbes
DelAnne Frazee
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Title: Inspector Hobbes and the Gold Diggers - Humorous Cotswold British Detective Cozy Mystery - unhuman Book 3
Author: Wilkie Martin
ISBN: 9780957635180
Reviewed For: NetGalley and The Witcherley Book Company
Reviewer: DelAnne
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Inspector Hobbes, the unhuman inspector and an ever changing cast of houseguest
Laura Wilson
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful series!

I have truly enjoyed these books about Inspector Hobbes. I feel I know each of the main characters and love them all! I can identify with poor, dear Andy Caplet, always good intentioned and who tries to be good and brave but who always seems to attract catastrophe, failing in some very funny ways. Mrs Goodfellow is still a bit of a mystery, I hope the author will some day tell us more about her and where she learned to cook so well. Inspector Hobbes himself is such a
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author's bigotry (general sexism, fat phobia, possibly a failure to have ever had a genuine conversation with a human woman) continues to mar what would otherwise be an entirely enjoyable series.
Despite that, this installment of the series continues to entertain. All the old oddballs are back, along with a few new quirky characters. Some of the mystery of Hobbes' "unhuman"ness is addressed at last. Andy continues to haphazardly get through his (mis)adventures against all the odds, and with
Mark
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even Better Than The Last

While I have enjoyed the whole series so far, Inspector Hobbes and the Gold Diggers is far and away the best so far. With Andy finally becoming less bumbling and learning more about Hobbes the character advancement is simply great.

It feels like the pacing was better but that might be due to a number of factors. I still can't believe I'm enjoying a series from an unknown writer as much as I am. For the money you won't find a better series out there.

That's not to say the
Nadine
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Craig Leimkuehler
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Though dogged determination and perseverance I was able to finish all three of these books. The character of Andy Caplet took far too long to evolve from bumbling idiot to bumbling idiot with a girlfriend. There were a number of grade school puns and frankly I think the target audience for these books would be grade school age.
And it took until nearly the end of book three to explain exactly what Hobbes is, but his housekeeper remains a mystery.
Janet Mahlum
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lot happens in this book. We find out just exactly what Hobbes is. And Andy, poor Andy. He is just as dense and clutzy as ever. "Andy, they are just rocks." "So?" "They are just rocks." "I don't get it." "I'll let you think about it for a while." I listened to this and the narrator is very good! It's another laugh-out-loud read, or in this case, listen.
michelle+8
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: recommendations
Andy really grows and matures in this book, and it's a welcome development. Although I worked out the mystery fairly early in the book, it was still an enjoyable journey. So far the entire series has been full of excitement and laugh-out-loud moments that make my husband ask which part I'm on, having read them all previously.
Jo-Ellen Sharpe
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Excellent Series

All of the Inspector Hobbes books are fun, interesting, and unexpected. The same can be said for most of the characters. In this third book, Andy’s growth as a narrator and a person are especially welcome. I would recommend these books to fans of the Flavia de Luce series, Jasper Fforde’s books, and the Spellmans.
C.J. Milbrandt
I keep reaching for Martin's Unhuman series. The books have a unique balance of action, danger, bumbling missteps, and bad puns. As often occurs, the more I read, the more attached I become to the characters. Let's face it, I'm *going* to read them all.
Mike Hough
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite so far

I absolutely loved this book. It has been my favorite thus far. I highly recommend it. If you are up for a good detective story with some inhuman characters you can't miss.
Paul Cox
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Glitter of Cotswold Gold

Hobbes and Andy in full flow as they bid to uncover the truth about a death in the hills. All the usual unhuman traits are on display along with Andy bumbling and stumbling in an effort to help. Is that Cupid lurking too?
Donna Carver
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I, too, love these books! The puns alone are worth the reading, plus the books have devilishly good mysteries as well! The character development grows in each book so that now they all seem like family to me. Can't wait for #4!
Peter Bissell
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Remarkably ,believable, entertaining and satisfying to read

Headline tells all as they say, excellent characters. Meandering many faceted storyline left me .wanting more. a well favoured meal
Inger Faherty
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continue to love these, and am really enjoying the growing cast of (potentially) recurring characters. Mysteries are still good and only a little predictable. Silly puns are silly. I hope Mr. Martin continues on for a very long time!
Heather
3.5/5 I like Hobbes and Dreggs, and love Mrs. Goodfellow, Andy’s bumbling gets to be a bit much at times.

• The Man From U.N.D.E.A.D. - The Curious Case Of The Kidnapped Chemist
  • Deadly Assessments (Fred, the Vampire Accountant #5)
  • Oddjobs (Oddjobs #1)
  • Dreadful Company (Dr. Greta Helsing, #2)
  • The Man From U.N.D.E.A.D. - Zombie Apocalypse Now (The Man From U.N.D.E.A.D. #2)
  • Strange Practice (Dr. Greta Helsing, #1)
  • The Severed Streets (Shadow Police, #2)
  • Who Killed Sherlock Holmes? (Shadow Police, #3)
  • Lies Sleeping (Peter Grant, #7)
  • The Run-Out Groove (The Vinyl Detective #2)
  • The Vinyl Detective - Flip Back: Vinyl Detective
  • You Are Dead. (Sign Here Please)
  • Written in Dead Wax
  • The Silver Skull (Elemental Steampunk Chronicles, #2)
  • This time it's Personnel (Oddjobs #2)
  • The Man From U.N.D.E.A.D. - Do Dragons Dream Of Burning Sheep? (Man From U.N.D.E.A.D., #3)
  • Strange Tombs (Essex Witch Museum Mystery, #4)
  • The Fangs of Freelance (Fred, the Vampire Accountant, #4)
Wilkie Martin sets his Unhuman series of novels in the Cotswolds, where he lives. He introduces readers to a close-knit, small-town community filled with quirky and occasionally dangerous inhabitants, and an ‘unhuman’ policeman who maintains law and order.
Read a sample of the books:

Inspector Hobbes and the Blood - unhuman I http://book2look.com/vBook.aspx?id=ZrFHGPVxgR

'fun and entertaining' Carol

Unhuman (4 books)
  • Inspector Hobbes and the Blood (Unhuman #1)
  • Inspector Hobbes and the Curse (Unhuman #2)
  • Inspector Hobbes and the Bones (Unhuman #4)
“I always knew you'd get ahead one day.” 0 likes