Start by marking “Arnie, the Darling Starling” as Want to Read:
Arnie, the Darling Starling

Arnie, the Darling Starling (Arnie #1)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  146 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
The true story of a talking starling and the grandmoth who raised him is as heartwarming a book as you will ever read. When Margarete first came upon Arnie, he was just a familiar springtime sight: a baby bird lying helpless in the daisy patch. After unseuccesfully trying to return him to his nest, she took him into her Texas home and raised him as carefully as she had rai ...more
Published November 1st 1983 by Houghton Mifflin (first published January 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Arnie, the Darling Starling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arnie, the Darling Starling

Jan Paha
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heartwarming ❤
Myles
Jun 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I did not read this book. It was read to me and my siblings, along with its sequels, by my mother. Arnie is therefore right alongside Dorothy and Toto, Paddington Bear, Star-Bellied Sneetches and the Dog that drove the car in Go Dog Go in my childhood memories: the first characters that entered my head and heart and will never go away.

It breaks my heart a little to see Arnie so unknown on this website, and presumably, in the world in general.
Dawn Michelle
Jan 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Another RDC book :)
Kimberlee
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Having just saved a 7 day old baby starling that no rescue would take, I relate to all of it. I did not like Arnie drinking wine, that wasn't cool.

My bird is now 3 months, has an aviary, and is a snippy little one!
Gail
Aug 02, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Published in the early '80's, this book was written in the first person by a woman who rescues a newly hatched starling who has fallen out of his nest. After several failed attempts to return him to the nest, Margarete decides to bring him into the house and try to care for him until he is able to be returned to the wild. She has no intentions of getting attached to him.

Unfortunately, as these things go, Margarete's intentions were admirable, but unrealistic. She holds off her emotions as long a
Joyce
Picked this up in the free box and now reading it aloud to Jim. Since Jim had raised a parrot from an egg he's enjoying Arnie's antics alot. A woman starts over life in Texas, investing with partners in a business/property development plan. After the deal falls through, she's quite depressed and lethargic. Then along comes a very ugly newly hatched starling. This bird embraces domestic life completely and makes friends with the woman's cats. The character and personality developed in a common "t ...more
Everett
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Everett by: Katherine Darden Seamans
I first read this story as a 11 year old child in 1984. My grandmother, a life long bird lover and long time subscriber of Reader's Digest, discovered read it as a story in a Reader's Digest condensed book. She took great delight in recommending and loaning her book to friends and family members.
Ross
My wife and I received this as a fortuitous "hand me down" from a friend of the family, who had themselves received it secondhand from a friend of their family. Really enjoyed reading this to my 5yo as a nonfiction story that created a strong emotional connection.
Lori
May 17, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A real quick read, maybe 2 hours. I couldn't put it down. A woman finds a bird in her garden that needs to be fed and causes her some grief, but turns out the bird starts talking short sentences , like a parrot and they are good friends. A fun lighthearted read, especially if you like birds.
Raquel
Sweet little book about an animal-lover who rescues a starling hatchling and teaches him to talk. Arnie ends up being a true companion who helps the author get through some tough times. Charming read for animal lovers.
Robin
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a non-fiction story of a woman who raised a days old starling. She didn't even know what kind of bird it was for several weeks. Amazingly, he learned to talk and had a large vocabulary that he used at appropriate times. Interesting book!
Diane Wachter
Diane Marie Barros, Margarete Sigl Corbo, RDC-M, #2, 1984, 1/92. Supposedly the true story of a talking starling and a grandmother who raised him from a helpless baby bird out of its nest. Entertaining.
Ann Amadori
Nov 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
True story of a starling named Arnie, who fell or was pushed (probably pushed) out of his nest as an infant. He was found by the author who raised him and taught him to talk. Touching story.
Linda Murray
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Very cute and will read again someday!
Janet
Feb 02, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having rescued several birds myself, this story of Margarete's rescued bird was charming.
Ellen
Mar 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It shows that animals are smarter than we ever give them credit for. We can learn so much when we care for another species.
Beverly
I have read this once before. I like the story, it is a sweet and endearing story. One cannot help but fall in with Arnie.
Lee Yahnker
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of those amazing stories that entertain and make you smile. Arnie was an amazing bird.
Pat
Feb 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bird-biography
What a sweet book this was. Made me smile!
Caren
Jun 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Loved it, though a little socially preaching.
Muriel Smith
  • A Supremely Bad Idea: Three Mad Birders and Their Quest to See It All
  • Rare Encounters with Ordinary Birds
  • Red-tails in love : Pale Male's story--a true wildlife drama in Central Park
  • The Parrot Who Owns Me: The Story of a Relationship
  • The Rarest Blue: The Remarkable Story of an Ancient Color Lost to History and Rediscovered
  • The Man-Eating Tigers of Sundarbans
  • The Wild Children
  • Birds: A Guide to Familiar American Birds
  • A Year in the South: 1865: The True Story of Four Ordinary People Who Lived Through the Most Tumultuous Twelve Months in American History
  • Sibley's Birding Basics: How to Identify Birds, Using the Clues in Feathers, Habitats, Behaviors, and Sounds
  • Charles Harper's Birds and Words
  • Readers Digest North American Wildlife
  • Night Sky
  • Bright Wings: An Illustrated Anthology of Poems About Birds
Born in Munich, Margarete Sigl Corbo came to the United States as a bride after World War II. She has served in the Peace Corps; been a student advisor at a college; owned a pet clinic; and raised a daughter, several dogs, numerous cats, and a large assortment of birds - including, of course, Arnie.
More about Margarete Sigl Corbo...

Arnie (2 books)
  • Arnie and a House Full of Company (Arnie, #2)