Start by marking “Blue Beetle, Vol. 3: Reach for the Stars ” as Want to Read:
Blue Beetle, Vol. 3: Reach for the Stars

Blue Beetle, Vol. 3: Reach for the Stars (Blue Beetle #3)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  711 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
During INFINITE CRISIS, the mystical Blue Beetle scarab chose 16-year-old Jaime Reyes as its new guardian, but its powers are both a blessing and a curse!

In this volume, Jaime has his hands full when he learns the scarab's alien owners are planning to invade Earth -- and no one will believe him! Plus, more adventures guest-starring popular Lobo, Green Lantern Guy Gardner,
Published February 27th 2008 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Blue Beetle, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Beetle, Vol. 3

[Name Redacted]
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
The series finally hit its stride! The art's improving, the writing is even sharper (with some hilarious lines), Jaime is developing as a character, the supporting cast is strong and helps set this apart from your regular superhero schtick, and the revelations abound -- at this point the only weakness is the pacing. It all rushes by too quickly and that leaves it feeling a little bit...shallow at points. Other than that, it's become a genuinely great series!

So naturally it got canceled. *sigh*
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it liked it
The artwork is less, the story is weak, the whole book series is just begging to be canceled.
Darwin
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Reach for the Stars is my favorite of the three trades I read so far. I mean having Guy Gardner tell Jaime about Ted Cord on page 51 and having Traci 13 mention Sue and Ralph on page 96 made me tear up. And for them two reasons this book deserves more then a 5 star rating.
victoria.p
Nov 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Ola
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As good as it gets. Hooray for the witty dialogue.
Andy 117
Oct 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Jamie is a regular old teenager, who has a mysterious alien Scarab bonded to his back. It gives him the powers of Blue Beetle, and so, he becomes Blue Beetle. It also talks to him, and tells him to do Blue Beetle stuff. Plus, he's got to deal with his friends, his family, and the looming possibility that the Scarab isn't as beneficial as it actually seems. All set against the quaint backdrop of El Paso, Texas.

The main draw of this volume is a very cool crossover with the Teen Titans and Lobo. I
Michael
This was another solid entry into the series, and I liked the various baddies that populated these issues and the cameos by Superman, Bruce Wayne, and Teen Titans. I liked the ongoing storyline with the Peacemaker and his tech, and Jaime learning to use strategy when outclassed or outgunned. The relationship storylines kind of took a back seat once the action started, but there was an emotional teaser in the last pages that definitely moved things forward, at least for one of the important famil ...more
Kim Dyer
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-comics
By far the best trade of the series so far. The issues in this one are largely one shots, tied together by Jaime's attempts to get someone else to believe him about the Reach. There are a lot of crossovers this time round - Guy Gardner, the Titans, Tracy 13 - but the focus is still always on Jaime and so they're pretty easy to follow even if you're not familiar with the characters.

This volume also gives the secondary cast some really stunning moments of glory. Both Paco and Brenda really get a l
Ottery StCatchpole
Jun 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm in love with Jaime. I'm sorry to see that it took the series so long to become delightful and for the books to get really good artists, but by then it was relegated to some ghetto corner of the comic shop. I still blame the initial story arc and the constantly changing artists for the misdirection of the book. If this book had started with this writer it would have had a bigger following. I know I would have kept with it. But 20/20 hindsight. I'm hoping when the book is relaunched in Septemb ...more
Paul Mirek
This book is now a sort of elegy for the best of the years leading directly into the New 52, when DC was stretching its limits with a selection of books geared at audiences other than the "adult comic fan". In a way, the teen drama of Jaime Reyes' superheroic life presages the success of shows like Arrow and The Flash, but there's also a simple joy in the superhero genre that's somewhat lacking in those shows (especially the one about the archer who kills his enemies). This collection is largely ...more
Joseph
Jul 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Borrowed from Debi

I love how much this series does right. Crossovers that keep the focus on the main character. A main character who is flawed, but not stupid. Side characters who contribute, rather than acting as dumb comic relief or damsels-in-distress.

I was less than enthralled with the first volume, but Blue Beetle has turned out to be both smart and truly engaging.
Jeremiah
Aug 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This run of Blue Beetle never fails to amuse me! The back and forth between "Team Blue" is awesome and it was great seeing how the Teen Titans fit into it. Also, loving how Jaime puts all this responsibility onto his own shoulders. He's definitely hard on himself. Not sure if he's ever read a Spider-Man comic ;-) but to him, great responsibility DEFINITELY comes along with great power.!
Fizzgig76
Reprints Blue Beetle #13-19. Blue Beetle is faced with the Reach and learns that the Reach might not be on Earth to help. Blue Beetle is about fifty-fifty. The issues sometimes work and other times seem disjoined (like the Teen Titan issue that felt like 1992 with a Lobo appearance). The character and the supporting cast are developing but it could be better.
K.
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am loving Jaime’s gradual transition from good kid to actual superhero. I mean, honestly, his deepest darkest fantasy is to become a dentist so that he can make money to help his family and allow his little sister to go to college!

Makes me afraid to read his New 52 version. I hope they don’t ruin him too.
Koen
Sep 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
nope, sorry, this didn't do it for me... at all... Really had difficulty finishing this one..
Even after 19 episodes now, I can't get used to this drawing style, it's too childish for me..
The stories aren't that spectacular either..
Well.. I am curious about the Reach though.. Want to learn more about them, so I guess I have to keep reading ;)
Katie
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, comic-books
I am loving Jaime���s gradual transition from good kid to actual superhero. I mean, honestly, his deepest darkest fantasy is to become a dentist so that he can make money to help his family and allow his little sister to go to college!

Makes me afraid to read his New 52 version. I hope they don���t ruin him too.
Jin
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
"This is really entertaining! My third Blue Beetle book and counting. Jaime Reyes' battle against the Reach is on and he's been winning each with tutorials from Guy Gardner, Superman and Teen Titans. It's never boring with Blue Beetle under Rogers and Albuquerque."
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, teen, series, dc
Better than the last one, and I'm really getting into the Blue Beetle story line. Of course, that happens right when I finish reading the last volume the library owns, I guess it's time to start searching elsewhere!
sixthreezy
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dc
Blue Beetle is now welcome to come to the Titan Tower. Wonder where that'll take Jaime... Love this character and his family dynamic.
Brian
Sep 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Blue Beetle gets to team up with the Teen Titans in this book as well as chat with Superman. Also Traci-13 shows up and that's always awesome. Don't have much else to add.
Fraser Sherman
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A good follow-up as Jaime learns the origins of his mystic scarab and that he may be either the dupe or the one adversary to the aliens who created him, the Reach.
Drew Perron
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Six (mostly-)standalone stories that are, taken together and separately, the essence of Fun Comics. HIGHLY recommended.
Phoenix
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great story, funny and engaging.
Nicko T
can i get this book
Rob
Aug 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
... and yet, I still can't turn away.
Shannon Appelcline
Jun 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-dc
There's some very nice characterization and character development in these stories (particularly in the last issue), but the episodic one-offness of them also leaves them pretty forgettable.
Dawn Rutherford
Michaela
Mar 15, 2016
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 2: Road Trip
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 5: Boundaries
  • Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes, Vol. 3: Strange Visitors from Another Century
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 4: Ends of the Earth
  • Showcase Presents: Booster Gold, Vol. 1
  • Tiny Titans, Volume 3: Sidekickin' It
  • Booster Gold, Vol. 1: 52 Pick-Up
  • Wonder Woman: Land of the Dead
John Rogers is a screenwriter, comedian, film producer, and comic book writer. Although born in Worcester, Massachusetts, he attended McGill University in Montreal and is better known publicly as a Canadian writer.
More about John Rogers...

Blue Beetle (6 books)