Start by marking “The Other End” as Want to Read:
The Other End

The Other End

Do you ever feel you'd like to reboot the world?Do you ever think that the human world is hopelessly out of balance, blighted, off track, and the only hope is some kind of apocalypse, some sort of "Judgment Day with justice" that would allow the human race to start over--without, ah, certain people?You know you don't want--and can't believe in--the usual Judgment Days that ...more
Published April 1st 2014 by Open Road Media (first published April 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Other End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other End

Adam Light
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a cool book. I had this for a while, but I was hesitant to read, yet it is John Shirley, so I figured it would be worth a go. I am not disappointed at all. This is a unique spin on the end of days, and is conveyed in a very interesting way. If that sounds like your cup of tea, you shod read it. Epic story, nice and short. It could have gone on a lot longer, but certainly gets points for brevity when some other authors would have dragged it out forever.
Kit Flemons
A noble endeavour, creating a more 'atheistic' approach to the Left-Behind-Judgement-Day genre, but ultimately let down by a rather dull and uninspired writing style and failure to engage me.
Paula
Nov 02, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You can't help but like the premise of this book: What if there were another "end of the world as we know it" rather than one based on childish interpretations of religion, bias, bigotry, exclusion, and cultural narrowness-mindedness? What if Judgment Day came for the whole world and offered true justice? I had high hopes in Shirley's answer to these questions, but my final judgment (haha) is: meh. I almost gave up on this a couple times, because there are so many characters running around, and ...more
David Menefee
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's another end of the world as you know it

I can't remember the last book I read so voraciously. Mr. Shirley has written a fine page turner here. I won't give away any spoilers, but when I saw the direction he was taking it, I couldn't put it down. Great pacing, some pretty tense moments, and a satisfying ending make this an excellent story.
Wilson
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it
The author doesn't hide that there's a bit of politically inclined wish fulfillment to this book; it's explained in the foreword. He wanted to write an end of the world story that not only wasn't a typical Christian take on it, but that specifically critiqued what he sees as hypocritical religious leaders who are either exploiting people or more concerned with pursuing their own petty hatreds than actually making the world a more pleasant place.

From what I gather, I broadly agree wit
Todd Charlton
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Shirley has written what a lot of us might have thought about. An original end of the world story. An intelligence called The Absolute, that exists everywhere has seen us ruin our world through brutality, religious fundamentalism, war, human trafficking et al. Something called the UnderGod seeded the planet with the notions of destruction and death.
A huge double coned light passes over the world a tract of land at a time, like a twister, killing those that are irredeemable; the murderers,
Richard
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what you would call an happy Dystopian novel but this is one of them.

John Shirley takes us through the end of the world with a totally new and unique perspective. Without giving away the story line, know that Shirley addresses: evil, god, the rapture, family dynamics, aliens, culture, tv evangelists, and much more in an easy to read fiction.

This is not the best writing I've come across, there are too many white male protagonists, few important female characte
Don Zabriskie
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jan
Interesting take on the end of the world. Too preachy for me though. Too stuck in While the book nods at the notion that people and problems are complex, there is still WAY WAY WAY too much "Republicans and Christians are EEEEEEVVIIIILLL" or just too warped to accept that the way to salvation is to believe in all the liberal shibboleths.
Mat F.
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best possible End of the World! Definitely something to hope for...
T.S. S. Fulk
A weird sci-fi take on the religion, God and the rapture. 2.5 stars
Lex
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great book! i wasn't sure what i was reading but it got really nice explained eventually and the way it comes together is really satisfying. got this book from humble bundle
Bill
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is dumb. But compulsively readable.
Michael
Sep 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've only read five other books by Shirley, so I'm no expert on his entire oeuvre but the tone of the prose seemed quite different than his others. My impression was that he was so taken with the ideas in the story that he didn't want to waste a lot of time crafting the sort of sharply elegant sentences I had come to expect from him.
Which was fine by me! I loved the idea of this book from the first italicized paragraphs! It was, frankly, a refreshment for the soul.
I would love to see a sequel
Ryan Mishap
Nov 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Wish fulfillment for those of us who hate the injustice, oppression, and greed in the world. Across the globe, cones of light are flashing above people and a certain number of those folks suddenly realize the connection between all things and cease their brutality or negative actions. Meanwhile, fundamentalist xtians think the lights hail the return of Christ, and a reporter goes in search of his daughter who was taken to the xtian compound. In addition, there are, well, beings, who take over th ...more
Aaron
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoying this novel, moves along at a cracking pace, basically a weird inversion of an apocalypse where the bad get punished and the disturbed reborn! I found it to be a satire, reminded me a bit of the recent 'southland tales' movie. I dont understand why this book didnt get more kudos, compared to other contemporary scifi. Definitely needs a bigger audience, a pulpy, yet smart scifi trying to fight the good fight, but not ironic and smug and nihilistic like Chuk Palniuk, ok hes not sci, ...more
David Agranoff
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was just re-issued, the progressive Science Fiction writer's answer to the left behind books. The novel is perfectly toned to express the message the author was hoping to achieve. John Shirley always has something important to say and this might be the most perfectly balanced work of fiction and message he has ever produced. Is it my favorite of his novels? No, but it is important work, written with almost surgically perfect prose that needs to be experienced.
Tracy
May 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to me by Ryan... This was one unique book. An apocalypse where the hearts of those with enough heart left are turned, while some manipulate events to effect their own favored outcome. Several references to that "other" end times series. An interesting alternative end of the world scenario with writing that's a bit rough around the edges.
Phil Zimmerman
Mar 24, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
I hated this book. It might be the worst I have ever read. The premise was lame (fighting against the "Left Behind" series). The characters were forgettable. The plot was repetitive. Skip at all costs.
Mike
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I get a mention in it, (Mike Kawitzky) along with my friend Terence Mckenna...
Arwyn E Elden
Feb 20, 2012
Bob Rooney
Aug 19, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
John Shirley is the author of more than a dozen books, including Demons; Crawlers; City Come A-Walkin’; Really, Really, Really, Really, Weird Stories; and the classic cyberpunk trilogy A Song Called Youth: Eclipse, Eclipse Penumbra, and Eclipse Corona. He is the recipient of the Horror Writers Association’s Bram Stoker Award and won the International Horror Guild Award for his collection Black But ...more