Start by marking “Boudicca: Britain's Queen of the Iceni (Legendary Women of World History, #1)” as Want to Read:
Boudicca:  Britain's Queen of the Iceni (Legendary Women of World History, #1)

Read Book

Boudicca: Britain's Queen of the Iceni

(Legendary Women of World History)

Why is The Morrigan's raven crying? Only Britons with hearts for true liberty know!
In 43 CE Roman conquest of Britannia seems all but certain - until a chance meeting between King Prasutagus of the Iceni and a runaway slave of royal decent from the Aedui tribe in Gaul changes the fate of the British islands forever.

Rise up for liberty with the true story of Boudicca: Brita
Audible Audio
Published September 9th 2014 by Laurel A. Rockefeller (first published March 20th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Boudicca, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boudicca

K.R. Steam
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This is such a great story. So full of life, inspiration, will, and courage. Honestly, I may have never come across it on my own. It is truly motivational. A true heroic story. I love this story, mainly because it shows that women are just as strong if not stronger than a man. This story allows the eyes of all to be opened to see that not only did men have a huge impact in history, but so did women. Plus, the ending of the book is truly beautiful!

The Prologue reminds me a lot of all of the thin
Brittany Reads
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was sent to me by the author and my full spoiler-free review can be found here https://youtu.be/drOOGMiG5i8

This is a historical fiction piece, and it tips more towards historical than fiction imo. Boudicca was the queen of a Celtic Iceni tribe. And she led a military uprising against occupying Roman forces are 60AD. She led 100,000 Iceni and Trinovantes on a spree of destruction, sacking several cities under Roman control. I really enjoyed learning about Boudicca. Early history if the
Kimberly DuBoise
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was short yet involved me very much in a stunning, moving way in a historical journey that tells of mans sad bent towards destruction. I did find much about the characters that drew me in to the story and was immersed in the aspect of women's lives at the time. This book offers a look into a particular point of our past and portrays the heroine as one of strength and valor. Clearly we have the ability to demonstrate our nobility, or at least read about it!
I enjoyed this book and consid
Tony Spencer
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Boudicca in perspective

This short book on Boudicca, the Queen of the Iceni, is part of a series designed to encourage schoolchildren to read the histories of famous women. There is an extensive bibliography for further reading, which includes the source material for Boudicca as well as background for the tribes of Britain. Included are reference maps and a study guide to expend the child's understanding of the texts.

The difficulty of writing the story of such an iconic woman is the paucity of i
Elizabeth
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, kindle
Fortunately Laurel A Rockerfeller' s Women in History series does not need to be read in order as this is the fifth one I have read even though it is first in the series.

Boudicca is a legend. My own school history lessons did not even mention her, but now, from this short book, I have learned such a lot.

The author uses a type of story telling that imparts factual information without getting bogged down with irrelevancy. The reader finds out about the subject in an easy to digest manner.

Anyone wh
Debra Lavoie
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
History Brought To Life!

The story of Boudicca is told to a child keeping alive the tradition of the Iceni. She really lived and faced the Roman Legionaires. She was brave and lived when women were nothing more than a man’s property. Her courage is not forgotten and her people honor her still.

I loved the telling of Boudicca’s story; she was so alive and brave. What a great way to learn about the people in history. The audio book is short enough to be listened to in one sitting and is narrated by
Laurie
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy of this book by the author for a fair review, The was an interesting short story about Boudicca, she was a fascinating character, but I wish the story was longer and gave more insights into her background and her story, as well as the story of her husband and her daughters.
Victoria Zigler
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was an excellent read; both enjoyable and educational at the same time, it's a pleasant way to learn a little history, and well worth reading.
Crystal (VanillaHearts62)
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a story about a character in history I knew nothing about: Boudicca. The book gives an overview of her life and the uprising of her people against the Romans. Despite it's short length, I learned the general story of what happened and what life could have been like at that time. I learned that she led 80 000 people in that battle, which is a crazy amount to think about, especially for that time.

My critiques are pretty simple. I didn't feel like the book was long enough. Yes, I got the
Michelle
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excerpt:  This book is based on events in the life of Boudicca, Queen of the Iceni and constructed using primary and secondary historical sources, commentary, and research. It is told through the lens of a mother and daughter of the Dobunni tribe in the 5th century of Common Era in what became the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Mercia in south central and south western England.

I have always been fascinated with history, namely the history in Europe, and am truly ecstatic that I am a part of this Women
J.M. Northup
Though I liked it, not what I expected

It is an interesting and entertaining read, for sure. However, I expected it to be an epic tale instead of a short story. Loving historical fiction, I thought this would be more involved.
The story was good. I especially liked the ending. It's obvious the author did their research. I just wanted more.
A great flash read for history buffs!
J.c.
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wish it were longer and more in-depth but it was an easy fast read that hit all the high and low points of Boudicca's short but intense life. I will read Ms. Rockefeller's other works for sure.
Jack Hwang
Too short and too simple. It's basically a paraphrase of the chapters in Histories by Roman historian Tacitus.
Susan
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Set in the 1st century ancient Britannia, Rome is still attempting to expand their empire. This short, creative non-fiction historical account follows King Prasutagus of the Iceni and runaway Gaulish slave Boudicca.

The author does a good job of making these characters accessible to the reader by showing the story through their eyes. Events do move rather quickly as decades of their lives are covered in a mere 50 minutes. Luckily, I was able to connect with the characters quickly because of the f
Catherine
Feb 15, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read, 1star, own, reviewed
Moira, a young girl asks for her mother, Keita, to tell her a story. This book is about Boudicca who was queen of the Iceni, a Celtic tribe who led an uprising against the occupying forces of the Roman Empire. It's a quick read explaining brief moments in history. I obtained a copy of Boudicca: Britain's Queen of the Iceni by Laurel A. Rockefeller from a Smashwords coupon code at the end of last year.

I'm pretty disappointed with this book. Though it has the interesting premise of history, I felt
Amy
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was given to me for free by the author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or my review in any way.

My very first audiobook! I was a bit nervous about this at first, but it turns out they're not so bad.

I'd like to start by telling you about the narration. Richard Mann narrates this book, and he does such a brilliant job! It's clear and well-spoken. Above all, the differences between this and Kindles' Text-to-Speech feature is clear. Kindles' tex
Isaiyan Morrison
I don’t know much about Boudicca. I’ve heard about this fearsome Iceni Queen and the fighting between the Romans and her tribe. As a lover of Ancient History, I couldn’t wait to read this novel and to learn more about her.

First, I didn’t know that she was an Aedui. I’ve never heard this word before. There were also small things like rituals and customs that I found personally interesting and I really wanted to know more.

It’s hard to recreate a time period. Conversations are different, some word
Rabid Readers Reviews
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The author, Laurel A. Rockefeller, gave me a copy of this book in exchange for my review.

Boudicca, Britain's Queen of the Iceni is very much a story with an aim to educate as well as entertain. The framework of the tale is that it’s a story told to a child. The storyteller this time is her mother and the goal is to serve as an empowering tale. Things get tough but women, frequently marginalized in our recorded past, can too change the course of history.

Rockefeller doesn’t sugarcoat the history
Teressa
May 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
" BOUDICCA: Beautiful, Dramatic, a Must Listen"

I feel that "Boudicca: Britain's Queen of the Iceni" was an important book and a wonderful listen. She was a real living woman in history. She had ran away from the Aedui tribe where she had royal heritage and by chance met King Prasutagus. They married and had two daughters. Prasutagus wants to ally with the Romans for their weapons and power. Queen Boudicca doesn't want this.

The ending is quite dramatic but important. She and her daughters drink
Paul Burnette
History? Great. Fiction? Mediocre. A story told to Moira by her mother Keita generations after Queen Boudicca and the Iceni fought the Roman conquerors, trying to preserve their culture, their religion, and their sovereignty over the East Anglian region of what is now England. Boudicca had come to England an escaped Celt from Gaul when she meets the King of the Iceni, Prasutagus, who marries her and fathers two daughters with her before the Romans move to take over the Celtic kingdom completely. ...more
Lilmissmolly
May 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Boudicca: Britain's Queen of the Iceni by Laurel A. Rockefeller is not only a history lesson, it is also a good narrative of true events. The story is told as a bedtime story, keeping alive the storytelling tradition of the Iceni. Boudicca was brave and lived when women were little more than property. However, she showed great courage when her people faced the Roman Legionnaires during their occupation in 43 A.D. She did everything in her power to keep the peace, but despite her best efforts to ...more
Lissa Johnston
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Like any self-respecting female history nerd, I was aware of Boudicca before I read this book (whenever I hear 'Boudicca', I think 'Badass'). Any time women are able to carve out a place for themselves in history in our male-dominated society, that's a win IMO. I was not aware of how exactly she came to be known as the 'killer queen'. Of course now I am delighted by the possibility that Freddie Mercury and his bandmates were/are history nerds as well! That's the great thing about brief, easily d ...more
Haniya (Voracious Bookling)
Original Post: http://booknauthors.blogspot.com/2015...

The cover needs some desperate work. I really wanted the design of the book eye-catching. As this story was short plus related to history, illustration would have been amazing. It would have looked pretty.

So the plot was very nice. I read this book real quick. You really feel the 'Feels' of this book, the way the author has written is so heart wrenching. This book will tear your heart open. It is just so...sad. Laurel writes about how Boudi
Terri
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Boudicca, A story in history of how a slave marries a king and attempts to take her people to freedom, via a battle of death. This is a short novella. This story is well written. What I liked about this history lesson is it is told like an actual story, with different voices.

The author, Laurel A Rockefeller did a good job on this short story. I found it to be quite entertaining. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. The narrator, Richard Mann did a good job on the narrations too! He delivered
Jan
May 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
A woman, a queen, a warrior; Boudicca is the stuff of legends, but is real history. This telling of her struggles, joys, and heartbreak are inspiration to us all, and is clearly presented without undue drama but with the kind of personalization often lacking in military renditions. Worth reading and sharing.
RM is an excellent audio performer, but I, personally, would have wished for a woman to audio the presentation.
Elizabeth Robbins
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding! I listened to the audio version, while I read along on my kindle. This author deserves extreme kudos for turning something as boring (for me, anyway) as a history lesson in Europe, into an extreme tale of love, violence, and sacrifice. The only other time that a history 'lesson' has impressed me this much was cinematically (Braveheart, 300, et al). The end of the book gave me goosebumps, and made all the little hairs on my neck stand on end! Awesome!!!
Deedra
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a YA version of the story of Boudicca,the Celtic Warrior woman who lead battles against Roman rule.She was a mother,a fighter and a fearful leader of her times. Narrated by Richard Mann,who gives this story the perfect voice,this audio version will be welcomed by girls and boys of all ages.
I was given a copy for an honest review from Audio Book Blast dot com.
Peni Renner
Skeletal

Oh this would have been such a great story if more flesh had been put on it! As a writer, i myself write for the readers with short attention spans, but this could have used much more detail.
Cassandra
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I recieved a copy of this book for an honest review, and in all honesty I was not disappointed. As a fan of historical books this one had everything I was looking for. The characters are relateable and the story is amazing. Anyone who enjoys historical works of literature will love this book.
Laurel Rockefeller
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Richard Mann offers superior performances in this audio edition of Laurel's creative non fiction biography.
Born, raised, and educated in Lincoln, Nebraska USA Laurel A. Rockefeller is author of over twenty books published and self-published since August, 2012 and in languages ranging from Welsh to Spanish to Chinese and everything in between. A dedicated scholar and biographical historian, Ms. Rockefeller is passionate about education and improving history literacy worldwide.

With her lyrical writing s

Legendary Women of World History (4 books)
  • Catherine de Valois (The Legendary Women of World History, #2)
  • Mary Queen of the Scots (The Legendary Women of World History, #3)
  • Queen Elizabeth Tudor: Journey to Gloriana (The Legendary Women of World History, #4)