Start by marking “Until Justice and Peace Embrace: The Kuyper Lectures for 1981 Delivered at the Free University of Amsterdam” as Want to Read:

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  65 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Analyzes the structure of the modern social order and examines the Christian's proper goals of working for peace and justice.
Published September 1st 1983 by William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Until Justice and Peace Embrace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Until Justice and Peace Embrace

Jeremy
Jun 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great book, pushing us as Christians to really consider how seeking shalom requires seeking justice, especially for those disproportionally affected by injustice. Pushes neo-calvinist to not only prize the cultural mandate, but to recognize the Biblical call to work towards justice as the foundation for shalom.

I love the verse from which he takes the title, and it expresses well the way he expresses the coming together of justice and shalom in this book.

Helpful to read this along with Justice: R
Jacob Aitken
This book was one of the last, true “Neo-Calvinist” manifestos and was written when Nicholas Wolterstorff was more of a neo-Calvinist than he is today. It champions the Calvinist Reformation as a “world-formative” Christianity (3). Indeed, Wolterstorff sees two types of Christianity: avertive and formative (5).

Wolterstorff helpfully defines justice:

P1: The enjoyment of one's rights.

The early part of this book is more of a sociological essay, which, while interesting, will not be of immediate int
Curtis
May 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-again
This book put words and summarization to what I’ve been thinking about all summer in and through all the books I’ve read. It speaks about justice and what constitutes it within our social order. It speaks of the vision of shalom and how our world compares to the plan of God’s desired creation. It also gives us an idea of how to go about seeing the world and possibly work to reform it for God’s purposes. A great read.
Jonathan Hiskes
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Heavier than I was looking for. NW lays out a dual mandate for Christians: Seek liberation and create culture, with both pursuits rooted in a vision of shalom. My favorite chapter focuses on the neglected element of physical delight in faithful living (and in John Calvin's teaching), and on the centrality of the city in the Biblical understanding of shalom.
Tim Hoiland
Sep 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Two weeks ago I posted a video of Nicholas Wolterstorff speaking on the topic of justice in Scripture. At that time I mentioned being in the middle of his book Until Justice and Peace Embrace, and that I expected to finish reading it in about three years. Well, I’m happy to say I finished ahead of schedule. I had every intention of keeping this brief, but the book is simply so full of such rich material that I had to turn it into a three-part series. For anyone concerned with the intersections o ...more
Jeff
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it

This is still a relevant and excellent read 31 years after the lectures on which this book is based were first presented at the Free Uni in Amsterdam. The subject is "world-formative" (transformative) Christianity as opposed to an "avertive" faith which turns inward. I was helped by the discussion and critique of liberation theology and neo- calvinism, the rich and the poor, nationalism and more. I know several young reformed that might find this helpful/challenging.
Larry
Feb 29, 2008 rated it liked it
brilliant, scholarly, biblical, great book, but not easy reading. the author is one of America's foremost contemporary philosophers.
Matt De Kam
Oct 19, 2007 marked it as to-read
I have read one chapter in Honduras. It was astounding. Cant wait to get the rest.
matthew kaemingk
Apr 10, 2007 rated it really liked it
The best in reformed political theology
Richard
Jun 24, 2015
Amy
Dec 02, 2007
« previous 1 3 next »
Wolterstorff is the Noah Porter Professor Emeritus of Philosophical Theology, and Fellow of Berkeley College at Yale University. A prolific writer with wide-ranging philosophical and theological interests, he has written books on metaphysics, aesthetics, political philosophy, epistemology and theology and philosophy of religion.
More about Nicholas Wolterstorff...

“Many are the scholars who make it their professional occupation to occupy themselves in this towering edifice of culture, exploring its nook and crannies, developing their responses, making their contributions here and there, and helping to hand it on to succeeding generations. For some the temptation proves irresistible to go yet farther and make this the concern of their lives, letting society go its own sorry way while they lock themselves away in this abiding, socially transcendent cultural stronghold, acquiescing in society while pursuing Bildung. As Rotterdam burns, they study Sanskrit verb forms.” 7 likes
“Technology does make possible advance toward shalom; progress in mastery of the world can bring shalom nearer. But the limits of technology must also be acknowledged; technology is entirely incapable of bringing about shalom between ourselves and God, and it is only scarcely capable of bringing about the love of self and neighbour.” 4 likes