Start by marking “The Vampire Next Door: True Story of the Vampire Rapist” as Want to Read:
The Vampire Next Door: True Story of the Vampire Rapist

The Vampire Next Door: True Story of the Vampire Rapist

John Crutchley seemed to be living the American Dream. Good-looking and blessed with a genius level IQ, he had a prestigious, white-collar job at a prominent government defense contractor, where he held top secret security clearance and handled projects for NASA and the Pentagon. To all outward appearances, he was a hard-working, successful family man with a lavish new hou ...more
Published October 11th 2014 by RJ Parker Publishing, Inc.P

To ask other readers questions about The Vampire Next Door, please sign up.
Neil Neither Garavito or Lopez are American.

Neither Garavito or Lopez are American.

Tommy Lynn Sells was convited of only one murder (not even legally a serial killer) with maybe half-a-dozen others almost certain - Any more is speculation.

If Crutchley was convicted of three dozen murders, it would have made him the second most prolific American Serial Killers of all time, pushing Ted Bundy (35 convictions) and JW Gacy (33 convictions) into third and fourth place.(less)

Start your review of The Vampire Next Door: True Story of the Vampire Rapist
Marie
This true account of the serial killer vampire rapist was the most different true crime book I have ever read. Very in-depth account of the crimes and the conviction of the killer. This book is not for the faint of heart as it is very graphic as it goes into the descriptions of the crimes and there are detailed photos. The author, J.T. Hunter, draws you into the story giving a background on the killer, his crimes, and the conviction. Giving it 4 stars.
Delta
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of true crime
Jay
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The vampire next door is a book I had been waiting for before it was ever even published.
In fact for a while I've often dreamed of being a true crime author and my first book would of been about John Brennan Crutchley. I first came across him in the early 2000s. Reading about the case, then I stumbled upon a short documentary about the case that aired on TV in an episode of some true crime series. Also in the 2000s. As I began to collect more and more books in 2005 I began to hope for a bo
Bettye McKee
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime-books
4.0 out of 5 stars A monster in sheep's clothing, August 8, 2015
By B. Mckee "beemac" (Alma, AR United States)

This review is from: The Vampire Next Door: The True Story of the Vampire Rapist, John Crutchley (Kindle Edition)
J. T. Hunter has written a compelling and well-researched account of John Brennan Crutchley, the Vampire Rapist, a demented serial killer who would have continued to kill without remorse but for a teenage victim, traumatized and weak from blood loss, who managed to escape.<
Jlsimon
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible, true-crime
This is take 2 on writing a review for this book. Take one sounded like a review of the man and not a review of the book. We will hope I can do better.

Hunter does an excellent job discussing the victims, their experiences, their feelings, and when lucky their escapes. He covers the crimes Crutchley is accused of, the trial, and the ravings, letters, and discussions of Crutchley.

He manages to convey without as much judgment as I feel regarding the fact that Crutchley is su
♥ Marlene♥
Bought this book, well the kindle edition a few days ago. It had raving reviews on amazon.
Probably because of that I was quite disappointed. Not because of the writing because that was good but because of what happened.

(view spoiler) ...more
Katherine McCarthy
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: True Crime readers
Shelves: true-crime
A very compassionate approach to a true crime story. What affected me most about this book was how much time was spent detailing the lives of the victims and their families, the compassion with which they were portrayed, as well as the relentless efforts of law enforcement to catch this killer. A truly inspirational approach. Superbly researched and well-written, I highly recommend it to any True Crime fan. So glad to have read this and cannot wait for this author's next book!
Robin
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
INTRIGUING

I enjoyed this book much more so than the previous one written by JT Hunter (I've just found the author, so 2nd book for me). And, while it's just the second, there will be a third, fourth, etc. This read more like a novel than a true crime book. There was a lot more details provided to the reader. I was at University when this happened and I don't recall seeing one article concerning the case. I'm sure it was there, but I was too busy studying. I won't reveal any details because I DON'
Justin
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
A horrifying and true tale of a real life monster. This book does a great job of explaining the saga of JB and his reign of terror. He truly lived up to his moniker.

As with all true crime books, the narrative can only be as good as the facts it is based on, and it tends to drag with the legal proceedings. Nonetheless, the author makes the best of it.

A must-read for true crime fans, and definitely not for the faint of heart.
Darlene Williams
Good but Repetitive

Detailed information on the vampire rapist. There is a lot of repetition in the story about the criminal, the victims and the criminal’s death.
Worth reading. Is he more intelligent than Bundy? Don’t know for sure but I’ve known for a long time not to take rides from strangers.
Devon Gregory
Aug 05, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kind of sick but not because of the subject

A non-fiction book about real murder victims shouldn't read like an erotic novel. I do not recommend reading this book.
Raymond Walton
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not your usual true crime book.

Well written but leaves you with the same questions the detectives have. I guess we will never know for sure.
Lyn Stapleton
Rambled a bit in places but overall very creepy account of John Crutchley's crimes.
laura
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chilling

Chillingly good . Hard to believe this actually happened! Never heard of this before so thoroughly enjoyed reading this book
Ben Turner
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read a few of the True Crimes series now and loved every second of them. It is fascinating to read about these crimes in such an accurate and informative way. I have been shocked by many of the stories in the other books, but this book and its subject is the most appalling crime I think I have read about yet.

The story revolves around a man that actually drinks the blood of his victims. His crimes would often include rape, torture and murder too. He killed all but one of his vi
Sandra Knapp
Rambling

I found it strange to discover this "true" murder case had occurred during my adult life-time, and until reading this story, I had never heard anything about it before, which is what caught my attention to begin with, and piqued my interest in reading this tale. I've been a reader of mystery and "true" crime novels all of adult life, and had never before heard of John Crutchley before.

The story of Crutchley's life and his crimes was very interesting, and definitely kept my attention. B
J.J. Slate
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lorie
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book absolutely grabs you from the first page and doesn’t release your brain even once you’re finished. The author, J.T. Hunter arranges the words with such an artist’s touch that that it reads more like a well written novel. I found The Vampire Next Door: The True Story of the Vampire Rapist especially interesting as it is about a case that I didn’t have prior knowledge of before reading this book. You will finish the final page with the feeling that you want to go and take a shower. You w ...more
Kipp Poe
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twisted and amazing

This is the way to write a True Crime book the story is very well presented. Filled with so many twist of a very sick individuals.

The writer and publisher takes full advantage of. the technology giving you photos of the subject matter within the story instead of waiting till the end of the book, or like many reprints transferred to ebooks and throw photos in the center of book giving away facts before you even read them.

This book and story is at the t
Tracy Davis
This had a lot of research

This book seemed very well researched and thorough, although frustrating to read. There is no real conclusion due to what happened during the investigation. That is of course not the fault of the writer, but it felt so long and could at times be very dry. There was some strange mixture of other high level news stories that happened during the years of the investigation and I found that unnecessary but others might not. If you are interested in true crime books, this is
Apriel
Meh. Interesting story and seemingly well researched but I found the writing a bit lacking. At almost 600 pages I really expected more but, it seemed at times, that the author was trying to fill a page quota and included unrelated current events and rambled on about this or that. Also there were parts that seemed very repetitious and dragged on while others were rushed and underwhelming. I think this book would have benefited greatly from another round or two of editing. All of that being said i ...more
Jennifer Ferencz
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good true crime novel covering all aspects of the case from the victims, forensic evidence, psychopathy of the suspect, and the trial. The quotes obtained from those involved, including the suspect himself, were very enlightening. The book was much longer than I expected, and parts of it were repetitive with respect to describing the suspect and his motives. Were it edited down in length a little more, I would give it five stars.
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This true crime novel is extremely well written and has wonderful flow that keeps you turning the pages.
I have read a little about his human monster before but I did not realize the extent of his horror and the pain he caused and for how long until I read this. The author not just gives you the timeline of
John Brennan Crutchley, but also gives you the events that happened in the world while his investigation and trials were going on.
Great read for any true crime fan out there.
Charles Reimler
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Evil Strange person Who Drinks Blood Of Victim; High IQ; Computer Genius With Government Security Clearance, And Unassuming Stature Appearance Creates An Unique Oddly True Crime Story! Author Seems Overdo In Length Of Book, But The Research; Details Are Quite A Reality Of A True Story Almost Hits Like A Stephen King Novel Portraying A Character Development!
Never Heard Of This NUT, But A True Vampire Story Stranger Than A Stephen King Fictional Character Quite A Read Into Depths Human Evil!
JoyAnna
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
True crime book about one of the most prolific serial killers in recent history. He had everything. A brilliant IQ, a family, a home and a good job but once he started killing he put it all on the line & eventually lost everything. A good read for true crime fans and a look into the mind of someone who thought he was much smarter than other people. Amazing that he got away with it as long as he did.
Christi
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

This is an interesting book covering the case of John Crutchley, the vampire rapist. I have read about it before but this book is more in depth. The first part was very disturbing and I almost stopped reading there but after Christina escaped it was much better. Some interesting points were raised. Nice coverage!
Barbara
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a page turner

This book was very well written and the subject, while disturbing, was fascinating. The only criticism I have is that the author tended to repeat the same information which unnecessarily lengthened the book.
Black Butterfly
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ADULTS
Shelves: true-crime
2 *s REALLY
CHILLING BUT SEEMED TO RAMBLE IN SPOTS AND TOO LONG, SHOULD HAVE BEEN MORE CONDENSED. IT WAS AMAZING HOW LONG HE GOT AWAY WITH MURDER. THE MOST FRIGHTENING PART WAS AT ONE TIME HE LIVED IN THE SAME CITY THAT I DO. SHUTTER!!;}
Theresa
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Serial killer

An in depth look into the mind of a serial killer.They are so intelligent it is had to catch them and this is one who was never even charged with a murder.He was a true vampire.
Barbara Nixon
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chilling

I vaguely remember this case when it occurred. I am deeply saddened by the unresolved locations of the victims bodies. Overall, this was a detailed account of pure evil which walked amongst is in plain sight.

• 2014 Serial Killers True Crime Anthology (Annual True Crime Anthology, #1)
  • Ice and Bone: Tracking an Alaskan Serial Killer
  • Silent Rage: Inside the Mind of a Serial Killer
  • Social Media Monsters: Internet Killers
  • Where Hope Begins: One Family's Journey Out of Tragedy-and the Reporter Who Helped Them Make It
  • A Need to Kill: The True-Crime Account of John Joubert, Nebraska's Most Notorious Serial Child Killer
  • A Taste For Murder
  • Failure of Justice: A Brutal Murder, An Obsessed Cop, Six Wrongful Convictions
  • Unlocked: A Journey from Prison to Proust
  • Driven To Kill
  • Luther: The Life and Longing of Luther Vandross
  • Rough Trade
  • Bundy: Portrait of a Serial Killer
  • The Sex Slave Murders: The Horrifying True Story of America's First Husband-and-Wife Serial Killers
  • In the Wake of the Butcher: Cleveland's Torso Murders
  • The Story Template: Conquer Writer's Block Using the Universal Structure of Story
  • True Crime Stories Volume 10: 12 Shocking True Crime Murder Cases (True Crime Anthology)
  • Missing 411: Hunters
J.T. Hunter is an attorney with over fourteen years of experience practicing law, including criminal law and appeals, and he has significant training in criminal investigation techniques. He is also a college professor in Florida where his teaching interests focus on the intersection of criminal psychology, law, and literature.

JT's bestselling true crime books include:

Devil
“The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness – Joseph Conrad” 1 likes
“As the author Julian Barnes observed, “[h]istory is that certainty produced at the point where the imperfections of memory meet the inadequacies of documentation” 0 likes