Start by marking “I Heart Logs: Event Data, Stream Processing, and Data Integration” as Want to Read:
I Heart Logs: Event Data, Stream Processing, and Data Integration

I Heart Logs: Event Data, Stream Processing, and Data Integration

Why a book about logs? That's easy: the humble log is an abstraction that lies at the heart of many systems, from NoSQL databases to cryptocurrencies. Even though most engineers don't think much about them, this short book shows you why logs are worthy of your attention.

Based on his popular blog posts, LinkedIn principal engineer Jay Kreps shows you how logs work in distri
Published October 17th 2014 by O'Reilly Media (first published September 23rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about I Heart Logs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Heart Logs

Start your review of I Heart Logs: Event Data, Stream Processing, and Data Integration
Eugene Yokota
Mar 27, 2015 rated it liked it
I bought and read the PDF edition after recommendation by a colleague before realizing there's The Log: What every software engineer should know about real-time data's unifying abstraction (the blog article this book is based on?). This is a fifty-nine-page PDF file. You can almost say it's a detailed blog article with a cover.

The title of this book is probably misleading too. The log that is discussed here is an abstract data structure, similar to transaction logs (or journal). I felt like he's
Zoltán Tóth
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: data
Short, concise, practical. A great read if you wonder why streaming such a big hit and how to think about logging in general. It's pretty intermediate though, so you will need some expertise to understand the message.
Aarti
Nov 27, 2015 rated it liked it
A nice short summary.
Subhadeep Bhattacharyya
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ray
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a young software engineer I find this book to be excellent.

It's general enough to be understandable yet detailed enough to be very interesting.

I finally understand what all the fuss about pub/sub is.

Notes:
* Physical and Logical logging are very different. Physical is basically logging outputs. Logical is basically logging changes (how you changed things).
* "event data records things that happen rather than things that are."
* centralized logging (aka pubsub) is powerful way to avoid many trans
Vicki
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
The original blog post is good and makes sense in context (although one could argue that it should really be two separate posts: an architecture of logs and a second post on LinkedIn's architecture.)

This book doesn't add anything, and in fact probably only takes away, from the blog post. Bad cash grab from OReilly, but it's interesting to read now that it's more of a historical document rather than a current as-is state.
Peter Rybarczyk
May 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Really I'd like to give it more than 3 stars. But recently I've read "Kafka: The Definitive Guide" and "Making Sense of Stream Processing" both much more useful.

What I really liked is how the author was able to squeeze knowledge about log-centric distributed systems in such a short book. I've been able to read it all in one afternoon and get the entire idea behind it.

What I didn't like is lack of more 'real-life' examples and fact this is almost the same as his a bit older blog post.
Dina Bogdan
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
An explanation about how to use logs and data Flow for building distributed Systems. The examples from the book are about linkedin Systems and are based on Kafka. For me it was very helpful, but needs a lot of before preparation about distrinuted algorithms like Paxos, raft, Zab, etc or infrastructure components like Kafka, zookeeper.
Vishwaraj
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Author has given a nice compilation of batch processing, real time data stream analysis and log analysis together as one basic concept of a virtual entity processing called 'The Log'. This book inspired me to write, it's crisp, to the point, not detailed with implementations. I really liked this book.
Ivan Orone
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: data-engineering
Stimulates your curiosity about building efficient distributed systems and database internals in general.

I recommend reading this book for anyone planning to start using Kafka. You get an introduction into the thought process and challenges that led to the creation of Kafka
Pragtideep Singh
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Short and useful description .
Matija
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Short and informative read on advantages of a distributed log as the centerpiece of the organizational ecosystem.
Vanessa
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer-science
Any engineer who works on distributed systems should understand what's in this book. Based on a blog post by the author. A bit old (2014), but still useful.
Pawel Waclawczyk
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
After reading bunch of Jay Kreps articles I had a feeling that I’ve already read that book before. It’s a good starting point to the topic of data systems integration and stream processing.
0vai5
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very insightful coverage of how logs play a central role in distributed systems! A really good read.
ferhat
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019_read
Practical.
Feb 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
This book had a surprising amount of depth for its scant 50 pages. Also, I was not expecting relevance to the data warehousing world, but I learned some useful information and I'm glad I took the time to read it.
Venkatesh-Prasad
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
An interesting and informative view about log data and systemic concerns dealing with log data. Jay talks about various aspects of log data such as duality with tables, distribution, coordination of distributed sources, and data integration. He does so by appealing to his experience at LinkedIn and the new developments in the big data technology community, e.g., Storm, Lambda architecture, Samza. He also discusses stream processing and how it related to logs. Interestingly, he has a different ta ...more
Gurkan Oluc
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Enhanced version of author's article on Linkedin. It gives a quick overview what he means with the word "log" and then explains how log oriented architectures changed the way they wrote their distributed apps at Linkedin. Short but definitely gives you intense information about distributed applications in 100 pages.

Gives good tips and tricks about making robust, resilient, consistent and highly available distributed apps also talks about subjects like CAP theorem, Lambda architecture, alternativ
Anton Antonov
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technical
I was postponing this book for a while, but today I decided to finally read it seriously.

I was very interested to read and understand the architecture behind Linkedin and I wasn't that disappointed. Author Jay Kreps sheds some light on their event-driven architecture.

I haven't had the chance to develop such systems and I probably fail to understand some of the points the author made, but I think Jay Kreps should've made this in a longer 200 pages book that describes the systems architecture sl
Jacob Tjornholm
Apr 19, 2016 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the first few chapters. The core concept is explained quite well, and I found the ideas very inspirational.

In fact, for days I was obsessed with thoughts about how I could use these great ideas in the system I'm working on.

However, I was really surprised to reach the end of the book so quickly. I think there was a lot more to talk about.

Especially, I would have liked to see a few case studies or at least some more very concrete examples about how to apply event logging in a re
Richard
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A smashing read-it-in-a-day look at the importance of logs in systems. And logs in the general sense of "append-only sequence of records ordered by time".

There are implications for application design, systems design, and streaming. Probably the best explanations I've read on logs, event sourcing, and streaming in a while. Overall, logs give a "principled way to model changing data as it cascades through a distributed system."

Eduardo Ferro
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
IMHO the book didn't go as deep as needed. This is only a a improved version of The Log: What every software engineer should know about real-time data's unifying abstraction

I think that even if the book add some value over the initial article, it don't provide the necessary insights about how to design this kind of systems.
Hays Hutton
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a great book. Immutable data is important. This book shows you why. Whether you use an implementation like Datomic, InfluxDB, EventStore, the Lambda Architecture or Kafka, your thoughts about using such systems will be better by integrating the knowledge in this book. Highly recommended.
Tom Kerkhove
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: geekfeed, data
Although this book was out of my league I really like it, I've looked beyond the traditional text files with hunder or even thousands of lines of data. It gave a good overview of the massive data load and how logs can help you in certain scenarios where logs are a good practice.

Small example - After reading one chapter I already knew how SQL log shipping works.
Chris
Dec 03, 2014 rated it liked it
If you aren't familiar with logs and Kafka, and haven't read Kreps' blog post, this may be useful. But to me this felt like a somewhat more generalized rehash of his outstanding blog entry: http://engineering.linkedin.com/distr.... That article was truly excellent. ...more
Gabor Ratky
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Mostly a summary of the individual blog posts of Jay Kreps on the topic, but a great and concise summary of the topic. Reading the seminal blog post https://engineering.linkedin.com/dist... is also a way to grasp the main idea. ...more
Luca
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: databases
I enjoyed the references to other reads more than anything. I think it's a very good read for people using Kafka as it tells you about the motivations behind Kafka and how it emerged from a real world problem.
Volkan
Nov 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: programming
Too short. Too confusing.
Craig
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Not really a book, just an essay that got published as an epub with a new cover. Just read the essay online for free.

• Kafka: The Definitive Guide: Real-Time Data and Stream Processing at Scale
  • Designing Event-Driven Systems
  • Designing Data-Intensive Applications
  • Making Sense of Stream Processing
  • Clean Architecture
  • Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems
  • Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
  • Effective Java
  • You Don't Know JS: Scope and Closures (You Don't Know JS, #2)
  • Spark: The Definitive Guide: Big Data Processing Made Simple
  • Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software
  • Kafka Streams in Action: Real-time apps and microservices with the Kafka Streams API
  • Kotlin in Action
  • Designing Distributed Systems: Patterns and Paradigms for Scalable, Reliable Services
  • Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code
  • Fundamentals of Software Architecture: An Engineering Approach
  • Big Data: Principles and best practices of scalable realtime data systems

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »