Start by marking “Saturate: Being Disciples of Jesus in the Everyday Stuff of Life” as Want to Read:
Saturate: Being Disciples of Jesus in the Everyday Stuff of Life

Saturate: Being Disciples of Jesus in the Everyday Stuff of Life

Many Christians have unknowingly embraced a lie--the idea that "church" is a once-a-week event rather than a community of Spirit-empowered people; that "ministry" is something pastors do on Sunday morning rather than the 24/7 calling of all true believers; and that "discipleship" is a program rather than the normal state of every follower of Jesus. Drawing on his experienc ...more
Published April 8th 2015 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about Saturate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saturate

Calvinist Batman
I wanted to give this 3.5 stars but rounded down instead of up. I need to separate my thoughts about the book itself and my thoughts about his ideas.

THE BOOK:
The reason I rated this 3/5 stars is because of the book itself. Most of the information in this book is simply repeated. This could've been 3 (although longer) blog posts. It did not require a whole book, or one of this size, to tell.
I also felt he highly disliked the word "church". I only remember hearing it once in the whole book. Usuall
Aaron Carlberg
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is essentially everything Jeff has ever said condensed in a way that almost everyone can understand. If you are a fan of SOMA, been to a training, this book will feel very elementary in that you have heard it all before, but if you are new to the idea of missional communities I couldn't recommend this book any higher!
Aaron Ventura
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I am sympathetic to Jeff's vision for discipleship and gleaned some great stuff from him on the topic. At the same time, Saturate unknowingly reveals some of the holes in the missional wing of the evangelical church (Soma, A29, etc.). Vanderstelt commends missional communities serving in the public schools, driving drunks home from Pub crawls, and other good works that Christians can do to "seek the good of the city." What is lacking is a vision for discipleship that actually lasts beyond one ge ...more
Jeremy Gardiner
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it
The purpose of the book is to see the whole world saturated with the message of Jesus by word and action through ordinary people. It paints a great picture of everyone sharing in the work of the gospel and being deep in each other's lives, rather than merely attending event-based church on Sunday where a few participate and the rest just watch. I agreed with most of the content and will definitely apply much of it in our small group.

However, there are numerous troubling aspects of this book as w
Liz Wann
Sep 09, 2015 rated it liked it
My three year old spills things. My almost one year old spills things too. Because of this I have a good idea of what the word saturate means.

1. to cause a substance to unite with the greatest possible amount of another substance, through solution, chemical combination, or the like.

2. to soak, impregnate, or imbue one thoroughly or completely.

In Jeff Vanderstelt's book, Saturate: Being Disciples of Jesus in the Everyday Stuff of Life, he is talking about something more spiritual than kids who sp
Jeanie
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I will have to admit when I got into Jeff's journey of missions, I thought here we go again. Another book about missions that is pragmatic and has no life. The deeper I got into the journey, the more it spoke life into me and that is what the gospel does. Jeff's background began in the Mega of Mega churches...Willow Creek and it was leaving the mega that opened his heart to what the gospel is really about, living in community. To be honest, as a Christian, I have not experienced living in commun ...more
Aaron Carpenter
Jan 22, 2016 rated it liked it
"Wordy" is a strange adjective for a book, don't you think? And yet that was my feeling throughout this book. No, the prose isn't flowery or poorly constructed. It's just that this book uses so much boilerplate it's difficult to strain out its unique contribution. There must be a way for the Gospel-centered, missional camp to say what we need to say without saying the same things every single time. Like maybe referring to a confessional document of some kind. I don't know what the solution is - ...more
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Theologically rich, helpfully practical. Full of encouraging real-life examples of what it can look like to be disciples making disciples - not just through church programs and Sunday mornings, but through the church community living and doing everyday life together. This is a book about God doing big things through normal people, by the power of His Spirit.

For me personally, this book engaged with a lot of my fears of getting close to people in community - both with the church and unbelievers a
Chris Wilson
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have long known of the passion that Jeff Vanderstelt has for seeing communities of believers spread out across cities, states, nations, and the world to display the beauty, love, and worth of Jesus. "Saturate"is a labor of love from Vanderstelt to the church at large, especially those who have adopted a small group meeting through the week model of church, although this would be easily applicable to a Sunday School model as well.

Jeff walks the reader through the life of his church through the
Whitney Winslow
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
The idea that we are always discipling and being discipled is a key theme in this book. Yes and Amen! It’s not a separate activity it’s life on life.
Finished the book feeling encouraged and motivated to continue and grow in living in a way that honors God. Reaching out and pressing in to the lives of others.
I gave it a four because I wasn’t naturally engaged to keep reading. Maybe it was the way it flowed and my own attention span. That said I kept reading and I’m glad I did. I learned helpful
Lexi
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
recommended by Christianne

I appreciate all of Vanderstelt's stories of real-life examples of how we can be Jesus' hands and feet to the world. I am inspired to a) pray that the Holy Spirit will convict others before I confront them myself, b) pray every day that the Father will give me an opportunity to share the gospel that day, and c) study and work for the glory of God every day.
Clayton Hutchins
Jun 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Read it for my church's community group. There is a lot to learn from here. Small group gatherings are really important, and meaningful, exhortative, missional friendships with other Christians are vital means of grace. Vanderstelt is right to point these things out. Moreover, the Lord is evidently doing a great work out in Tacoma, as Jeff's stories bear witness. Nevertheless, there were three big drawbacks to this book:

1. He writes like he talks. So there are lots of stories, chapters that read
Laurén
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Most American Christians still believe they have to bring their friends to hear their pastor teach the Bible & proclaim the gospel. But a large percentage of people in our country will never go to a gathering on Sunday to hear someone preach. If we are going to every place with the gospel in word and deed, we need to take seriously our own discipleship and ability to study, know, and teach God's Word." Pg 89

The real "meat" of the book about missional community is in the last half, which is
Sandra
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I am torn between 3 and 4, as there were many chapters and sections which I really liked, but there were also times that I found it "tough going" as there seemed to be a lot of repetition of ideas.

I also agreed with the author most of the time, but sometimes felt that his recommendations on how to interpret the teachings of Jesus for our culture were a bit risky. As an example, I often felt that if young couples were following his recommendations, their children could often be put at risk. I kno
Blake
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Meh! I really wanted to like this book because of several points of emphasis: Discipleship and loving our neighbors and reaching them with the gospel. I appreciate the author's many attempts at sharing the gospel and his care and concern for those who don't know Christ. I appreciate as well, his honesty about his short-comings. I just can't get to a place where I see the benefit of promoting Jesus as a partier. That terminology has so much baggage and therein is the problem. It appeals to the na ...more
Tom
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Matthew
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a Great Commission work that shows was "as you go" discipleship is all about. While some from certain evangelical lanes will take issue with the missional groups' use of alcohol, having these types of intentional groups make a difference in executing what it means to love our neighbor. This was the money quote for me:

"Seeing church mainly as an event creates a significant problem for mission, because most people are very busy. And the more we fill our lives with church events and pr
Justin Leitch
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: discipleship
Highly recommend to anyone who wants to learn how to live on mission in everyday life.

Family
Servant
Missionary

Discipleship is helping people follow Jesus in the everyday stuff of life.

Challenges and gives practical advice to church to live out Christian identity as family, servant, and missionary in everyday life and in community.

Includes incredible stories of the missional impact a community living on a common mission can have

Only concern: seems to over-correct against the Sunday only Christian.
Angelynn Ballew
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gospel saturation

What a practical yet compelling book about living missionally. If more people lived the way Jesus called us to live as servant followers, the neighbors, the world, would see Gods love shining through brightly in the every day places we don’t think of as the mission-field.
The Holy Spirit compels us to move and be in the light of the Gospel message. Sacrifice. Real care. Love in a way that is so deep it can only point to Jesus.
Love the points on shoulder-to-shoulder discipleshi
Terry
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not Your Average Small Group

This is an excellent journey in discipleship, though not the most conventional path. I read this book constantly on the lookout for a departure from sound doctrine, I never found it.

If you are interested in making disciples, in living out your faith, then you should make time to read this book. Well written with real life examples. It will encourage you to reconsider your methods.
Mark Jackson
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An incredible book on discipleship, both personal and missional. Jeff's personal experiences and stories here give great insight into the practicality of the kind of lifestyle he preaches, Jesus saturation and missional living. Highly relatable and both simple and challenging to respond to. I definitely recommend this book to any believer, but especially to those interested in church planting or reconfiguring the community life structure of their church.
Ben Cook
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
While this is a good book by Jeff, it is repackaged material you have heard 500 times over if you have listened to or followed Jeff. He speaks truth and is good at it. This however feels like a money making ploy I would stay away from if you have heard his stuff before. On the flip side, if you are new to Jeff Vanderstelt, I will just say you need to read this book.
Jeremy
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent vision-casting book for missional communities. It offers some simple ways of explaining the Gospel and mission. The stories Jeff shares are very impactful and encouraging and his writing style is clear even for people who are not strong readers (this is a compliment!). I enjoyed Gospel Fluency and this one is a great companion.
Paul Mills
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Convicting and motivating

Was a convicting read. I have not experienced or seen this level of missional loving in my life but I would love to experience this. It was convicting because it makes me think about what I can do too bring this to fruition too the community I live in. To be able to be on mission around me more. Great read
Lauren
So radical and challenging and yet is nothing more than the picture of discipleship that Jesus lays out for us in his life and word.
Really good to listen to and practical.
Culture changing.
Need to re-read.
Kyle Davies
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heart Language

I appreciated the mix of practical tips, gospel truths, and stories of life change. The author accomplishes his goal of showing how one can be a disciple of Jesus who points others to Jesus in the everyday stuff of life.
Nicky Macaskill
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you have ever felt daunted by evangelism and feared stepping out because it seemed too difficult, this book is for you! It changes the way you view evangelism and makes it seem so natural. Living for Jesus in the everyday stuff of life. Good call, Jeff Vandetstelt
Gabe
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be a tremendous encouragement by providing both a biblical basis and practical examples for discipleship and disciple-making “in the everyday stuff of life.” I’ll pass this book along to fledgling disciple-makers and leaders saying, “yes, but how...?”
Lauren Young
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Convicting, eye opening, and intriguing. It has helped me realize what opportunities are right in front of me. What has God already placed in front of me and where has he already placed me in this moment to live for his glory?
Mark Elliott
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! I definitely want to go back and go over ideas he puts forth with my bible study.
  • Church Elders: How to Shepherd God's People Like Jesus (9Marks: Building Healthy Churches)
  • The Unbelievable Gospel: Say Something Worth Believing
  • Growing True Disciples: New Strategies for Producing Genuine Followers of Christ
  • Surprising Insights from the Unchurched and Proven Ways to Reach Them
  • Everyday Church: Gospel Communities on Mission
  • An Infinite Journey: Growing Toward Christlikeness
  • Transformational Discipleship: How People Really Grow
  • Manhood Restored: How the Gospel Makes Men Whole
  • Community: Taking Your Small Group off Life Support (Re:Lit)
  • Show Them Jesus: Teaching the Gospel to Kids
  • Comeback Churches: How 300 Churches Turned Around and Yours Can, Too
  • Center Church: Doing Balanced, Gospel-Centered Ministry in Your City
  • The Externally Focused Church
  • Building Up One Another
  • Faithmapping: A Gospel Atlas for Your Spiritual Journey
  • The Emotionally Healthy Church: A Strategy for Discipleship That Actually Changes Lives
  • Gospel Coach: Shepherding Leaders to Glorify God
  • Accidental Pharisees: Avoiding Pride, Exclusivity, and the Other Dangers of Overzealous Faith
Jeff Vanderstelt is the visionary leader of the Soma Family of Churches. He also serves as one of the teachers and elders of Soma Tacoma. He is the author of Saturate: Being Disciples of Jesus in the Everyday Stuff of Life. He lives in Tacoma, Washington with his wife, Jayne, and their three kids.
“Jesus didn’t call us to merely make a decision for him. He doesn’t need our vote of approval. He doesn’t want deciders. He wants disciples—people who are devoted to becoming more and more like him in everything, everyday.” 6 likes
“God doesn’t just want us to feast or celebrate as his people. He wants us to remember him, keeping him central to the party by showing kindness, love, and mercy to all those who lack a reason to celebrate.” 2 likes