Start by marking “The Misanthrope: Stone’s Story (The Ourean Chronicles #1)” as Want to Read:
The Misanthrope: Stone’s Story (The Ourean Chronicles #1)

The Misanthrope: Stone’s Story (The Ourean Chronicles #1)

4.57  ·  Rating details ·  68 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Before Stone trained Kara Magari or taught the First Vagabond to master the Blood loyalty, he was nothing more than a slave boy named Terric.

Terric is a curious loner hellbent on reading his master’s forbidden books. When one heist goes wrong, Terric abandons his old life and runs for freedom—only to fall prey to a ruthless man named Niccoli.

Niccoli is an isen—a creature o
Published July 21st 2015 by Smashwords Edition (first published May 12th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Misanthrope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Misanthrope

Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, novella
Review also posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

In case you missed it somehow I'm a huge fan of The Grimoire Saga, which is actually from where the characters of this, and those to come, short story is coming from. So after the original saga ended, Boyce said that she would write the short stories for the three, for me the most interesting side characters. I was thrilled.

That's how we got to the Stone and his story. Now in this short story we see how everything started for him and what he actually was bef
Valeria
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I absolutely loved this! I simply cannot get enough of Ourea, but I loved to get an insight in Stone's previous life, and I can't wait for the rest of the series. Review to come...
Maria
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
First, a big thank you to S.M. Boyce for providing me with a free e-copy in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I was sad when The Grimoire Saga ended after four books. Lichgates remains one of my favorite indie reads, really one of my favorite reads, period.

So when The Misanthrope, and the other books from The Ourean Chronicles, was announced, I was thrilled to know that I was going back to Ourea to learn more about some of seri
Amber
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Misanthrope is a beautifully revealing and truly inspiring tale of a quiet secondary character in the Grimoire Saga who had a profound impact on its exquisite heroine. This is a story that reveals the inner workings and the hidden past of one who wielded a massive amount of influence. We are now granted the pleasure to see the events and people that shaped and molded him into the man that he became. We see how his passion and pitfalls led him to the one that would forever change his world.

S
Robert Zimmermann
S.M. Boyce has done it yet again. The Grimoire Saga may have ended with the release of Illusion last year, but my adventures through the world of Ourea are far from over. The Misanthrope is a welcomed return to the magical, dangerous world that Boyce created, and I couldn't have asked for a better story to read.

Like the read of the books I've read from Boyce, there is no lack of genius writing. Each setting is written beautifully. Whether it's on Earth or in Ourea, I felt like I was there standi
Rabid Reader
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An unusual tale of servitude, soul stealing and doing what you can to survival. It tells the story of the life of a boy born into servitude, who trades one master for an even worse master while choosing to become an almost immortal being. It is an interesting and very unique story that is expected narrated by Tim Cambell. He seamlessly navigates the different accents and brings life and personality to the various characters. The characters pull you into the story, even though the main protagonis ...more
Lorena
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was an intriguing story about a not very likable character. I wasn't all that fond of the main character, Stone, because he was too much of a loner, too morose and single-minded. However, I certainly didn't hate him, and it was easy to understand his motivation and why he did what he did. Some of the supporting characters were much more appealing, and I wish we could have gotten to know them a bit better, but this was very much Stone's story, as the title indicates.

Both the story and the wo
Dawn
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a free ecopy of this book for an honest review.

S.M. Boyce’s Grimoire Saga was a delightful adventure and I enjoyed learning Stone’s history. I don’t think I would have liked this book as much if I had read it as a stand alone before I’d read the Grimoire Saga. It’s more like a piece of the puzzle falling into place.

Although his character is well developed, Stone is not one that the reader can connect with. He cares for no one and he doesn’t care who or what he hurts (or kills) in orde
Daisey
Aug 15, 2015 rated it liked it
I found the Grimoire Saga absolutely fascinating, and as soon as I heard about this prequel story I was interested in reading it as well. I enjoyed it, but it just didn't draw me in the same way that the rest of the books about the world of Ourea have. Stone is an interesting character, but I didn't feel the same connection to him or the compulsion to know how he would succeed in his fight to be free from Niccoli. I also missed some of the detail of the magical world of Ourea because Stone doesn ...more
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a free ebook copy of this book in return for an honest review.

Terric--later calledStone--is an unawoken Isen who is violently brought into a world of magic by the cruel Isen Niccoli. Unbeknowst to Terric, he's just traded one world of servitude for another, one that involves stealing souls in order to survive. All the while, Stone seeks a way to be free.

As always, it was a pleasure to read this story. It shed light on the origins of one of the characters in The Grimoire Saga. Stone is
Becky
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Once again S.M. Boyce has turned out a great story! I am a fan of any of her work. I was sad when she chose to end the Grimoire Saga but was thrilled to hear she would continue to give us stories about our favorite characters from that series and The Misanthrope hit the mark. I wasn't a big fan of Stone but know, knowing his back story, I can understand and cut him some slack. Still don't love him but I understand him better. I am excited for the rest of the 'backstory' books.
Any of her books co
Emerald Barnes
Aug 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
I'm a huge fan of The Grimoire Saga, so when I was approached about reviewing Stone's Story, I jumped on the chance. And I liked it, but I wasn't in love with it.

Stone was very annoying and whiney, and although I enjoyed reading about his beginnings as an isen, I just couldn't get past how annoying he was. Although, I could understand why he would be so, I just wasn't a huge fan of his in this book. I do love him in The Grimoire books, though, so I definitely suggest you read this book.

It's a
Jean
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it

This book has a little bit of everything: Magic, Shape Shifters, Plans of Escape..

I liked the main character, Terric, I felt sorry for him when he traded one form of slavery for another.

The author is very descriptive and she does well with the imagery of her world.

All of the characters were written well, even the Side Characters.

This book was a good edition to the series and I can't wait to read or listen to the next book in the series.

Tim Campbell did really well with the narration.

Note:
"This a
NancyMagaly
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, fantasy
I enjoyed learning more about Isen and Stone's background. The insight helped tie things up going into the 4th book in the Grimoire series. It was funny to learn Stones's personality is the way it is from the get go, not something that happened during his lifetime, hence the nickname Stone. By the way, I was pleasantly surprised with the ending. I do want to know more about Vivian. The writing was great, I felt there were a few areas that could have been developed or covered a little more-Andor. ...more
Bobbi
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Bobbi by: Author
I love reading the side stories where a character gets their start and this one is no exception. Terric is put through a lot of things through his young life which continue into his adult life. He is brainy smart and has a very dry sense of humor. He plots and plots his adventures until one day he finds an opportunity to finally free himself. Niccoli is a very strange, ruthless man that only wants one thing and will stop at nothing to get it. S.M. Boyce really brought me into her story and held ...more
Tammie
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you're like me and you enjoyed the other books in the series, but you're looking for a new perspective and a completely different kind of character, definitely check this one out. Boyce's writing has steadily improved over the series, and in my honest opinion it shines through better than ever in this new and unapologetic addition to the story.
I highly recommend any of Ms. Boyce's books because she know how to write a riveting story!
Jan farnworth
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First off thank you to the author for letting me read and review this wonderful character story. I love this story i may not like Isen all that much but seeing how stone was created and the kind of life he had to live actually made me feel sorry for him. I love how we get to see this side of this character and maybe now understand him more in the world of Ourea. The story is nice and short can easily be read in a day.
Laxxiene Kostecki
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone

As always, fabulous, quality content. It was an interesting pov and Stone is such a great character. This book gives access to Ouros and how it's beings view their own reality. Great character development and helped to delve my imagination further into Miss Boyce's magical literary creation. I adore the Grimoire Saga and can't get enough. Don't want to spoil it but is a must read! :-)
Malerie
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book! Boyce did not disapoint at all with this one.. she seamlessly takes you back to Ourea, and even though it is a different time and different character views, you will feel like you are returning home! Can't wait to read the next two books! As always, great character development and vivid scenery..
Mark Woolley
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I absolutely LOVE the Grimoire saga...cant get enough of Ourea... I really liked this "before" short story... I liked everything about it... cant wait for more... Im addicted to Ms. Boyce's writing style, characters plots ..everything.. never boring always want to see what happens next.. thank you Ms. Boyce for adding excitement to my life thru your books
C.J. Santiago
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Stone's story is very interesting. Although he's a bit whiny, this tells us how he finds an opportunity to free himself. You feel like you have returned to the place it all began. Stone's story is a new perspective and quite different. I enjoyed the book immensity. Keep reading my friends.
Houston Gordon
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was so good!!! I read it in three days!!! Couldn't put it down. I loved hearing about Stone and his story!!!! S.M. Boyce is an excellent author. I love her work! I am so sad Heritage and Illusion aren't on IBooks! Can't wait to read more of her work!!
Peggy Baker
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book have read all the Ourean books and am waiting for more to be written
Joni Farmer
Nov 02, 2016
Holly
Jun 10, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Fantasy & horror author. Specializes in adventure and magic with a dash of mischief.
More about S.M. Boyce

The Ourean Chronicles (4 books)
  • The First Vagabond: Rise of a Hero (Cedric's Story) (The Ourean Chronicles #2)
  • The First Vagabond: Fall of a Legend (The Ourean Chronicles #3)
  • The Demon: Deidre’s Story (The Ourean Chronicles, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • The Rules of Magic
    $11.99 $4.99
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)