Start by marking “Babyhood” as Want to Read:
Babyhood

Babyhood

The classic New York Times bestseller from actor/comedian Paul Reiser, a book that the San Francisco Chronicle calls “an out-loud laugh on every page,” is now available in trade paperback for the very first time. For fans of Reiser’s long-running sitcom Mad About You, with Helen Hunt and Hank Azaria, for readers of comic memoirs like Tina Fey’s Bossypants, and “for the cou ...more
Paperback, Large Print, 288 pages
Published August 1st 1998 by Avon (first published July 31st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Babyhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Babyhood

Erin
Jun 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Couplehood had me in stitches, so when I saw Babyhood at our local friends of the library sale, I couldn't resist.

Paul Reiser is still a riot. From baby naming to sharing unbelievably personal bodily functions, "babyhood" is the most demanding stage in a couple's life. And, as Reiser points out, it lasts forever. This realization would've terrified me back into my 16-year-old hell-no-I-don't-want-kids mindset if I hadn't been laughing at every page. Instead, I'm swapping favorite baby names with
Kathryn
Apr 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Funny, touching, surprisingly wise, and full of love. A few times it got a bit off track with tangents/asides-that-didn't-seem-too-pertinent-or-all-that-funny, but overall it is a love letter to his family and to the ups and downs (all worthwhile!) of having a baby.
aRee
Sep 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Truly funny!
I laughed from the first page. This book shares the author’s opinion and experiences from the moment him and her wife thinking about having baby ‘till the baby arrived. So many interesting thoughts he let us know with amusing way. One of the chapters titled “And thy name shall be…something”. Here he explained how difficult and tricky to give a baby a name. I quote: “The power is extraordinary. The simple combination of letters and sounds you select can result in a life of carefree co
Henri Moreaux
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Babyhood is the follow up book to Couplehood by Mad About You actor/comedian Paul Reiser.

It's a mixture of autobiography, humourous observations, 1990s comedy & practical advice.

Whilst it's certainly not a boring way to pass time I'm not sure I would actually say it's worthwhile to read if you have something else to read. It wouldn't be my choice as a funny parenting book nor a general humour book; some of the observational humour is now dated and no longer relevant.

Overall, it seems like a
D'Anne
May 29, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I listened to this book on tape on my way to Chicago because my wife got it from the library for the trip. I don't usually like books on tape but this wasn't unlistenable. It's mildly amusing in some parts and once in a while quite funny. Paul Reiser is an acquired taste as far as comics go and his shtick gets tired after a while. He thinks he's a lot funnier than he actually is. However, the jokes that do work here would probably not work on the page since they rely on his voice inflections and ...more
Craig Toerpe
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is my third time through the book...I read this before I had my first child, and now have 3 children, I am finding Paul's wisdom, not only funny, but very practical. I have begun to give this book out to first time parents, and the gift has gone over very well. If you are currently with young children, or want to remember those days of parenting young children, pick up this book, and just allow yourself to laugh.
Andrew David
it's stupid funny to be a dad // fast, familiar, funny // references to sex and gruesome birth // 3.2: 3.0, 4.0, 4.0, 3.2, 3.7 // this is an easy read that, i think, accomplishes exactly what it seeks to accomplish, so i'm not sure exactly how to rate it.

SUMMARY // 3 ADJECTIVES // WARNINGS FOR KIDS // RATING: SETTING RATING, PLOT RATING, CHARACTER RATING, WRITING RATING, IDEAS RATING // OTHER WORDS
Travis
Jun 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
I laughed, I cried, I nodded my head and mumbled "oh, that's so true" many times through this book. Reiser's funny observations about having a baby made it that much funnier when our kids were infants. Just renewing the obvious that with a quick wit and a eye for wonder, there is humorous material all around us. Great book.
Dolly
Aug 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: couples who are thinking about starting a family
Funny and engaging - a quick read; good for couples who are thinking about starting a family. I've enjoyed watching Paul Reiser on Mad About You and I like his sense of humor.
Rhea
May 14, 2010 added it
Shelves: given-up-on
I know. It's just that I really want to keep reading about parenthood but all the how-to books are driving me crazy. I need a little comic relief!
Update: just... not funny. Or well written. Not worth it!
Lisa
Feb 05, 2010 rated it did not like it
For some reason, I adored Paul Reiser's comedy in high school, so I thought I would revisit this book now that I have a baby. It just didn't seem funny anymore. Maybe his experiences were just more dramatic than mine!
Kerry Kenney
Jul 10, 2008 rated it it was ok
I bought this because it was at a thrift store and I was pregnant and it was a quarter. I read it and it was okay but not memorable.

Meh. If you find yourself in the same situation there are probably better ways to spend your time then picking this book.
Ryan
JP
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Now I am two thirds through the Paul Reiser Couplehood, Babyhood, and familyhood books.

Starting backwards I have now read Familyhood and Babyhood.

If you do not have a baby or intent on having a baby, forget it. This book is not something you should ever need.

One of the greatest attributes of his writing, is that you hear his voice. You see him delivering these clever thoughts, and intonation in your minds eye.

There are genuinely funny moments throughout the book, again for people with or exp
Jimyanni
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
In style, Reiser is not far different from Dave Barry, if a little less juvenile and at the same time, oddly enough, not quite as good. In terms of style, if one were to posit that George Burns, maybe, with his dry wit, was a 1 on the scale of juvenility, and Howard Stern is a 10, Dave Barry might come in somewhere between 6.5 and 7, and Reiser would come in at between 5.5 and 6. I found this book to resonate with me somewhat more strongly than "Couplehood" did; even though it's been 25 years si ...more
Melissa
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is truly hilarious and I don't even have any babies in my house anymore. There is an entire chapter dedicated to things that could happen to your baby quite by accident:

"You could toss your baby up in the air just as the stork is flying by, which snags your baby and delivers him to another family."
"You could feed him a bottle that's too hot"
"You could feed him a bottle that's too cold"
"You could feed him a bottle that's just right but actually belongs to three angry bears"

I laughed out
Todd Smith
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
It was all right. I think he had some good points on what it is like for a man in a relationship in raising a child. I think as two men raising our child, I feel we have more of a 50-50 split on raising the kid. I think he left it more to his wife, which is what is expected in their relationship, but I also think that times have changed and I've noticed fathers now being much more involved then they might have been in the past. He did do a good job of detailing activities, getting up in the midd ...more
Debbie
Aug 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Paul Reiser is a funny funny man. In this follow up book to "Couplehood", he examines all of the aspects of becoming a parent, from the initial thoughts regarding it, to the "making it happen" aspects and on and on. Whether you have children or are considering having children or would rather never have children, this is a great book. Talent is what it is and at the end of the day, funny is funny, regardless of politics. Reiser is that kind of observational humorist. And my son and daughter-in-la ...more
Adam Houser
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was my preparation for having our first child. It definitely was not a complete preparation, nor was it meant to be, but Reiser approached parenthood in a humorous and genuine way. I especially liked his advice that in searching for a name you want a name that is unique enough that when you call it on the playground there are not a dozen children that come running. But you don't want a name so unique that your kid is the one constantly running away from bullies on the playground. Since ...more
Jane
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Pretty much what Reiser says is true about bringing a child into your life & he says it with humor. How else to handle it cuz after you've become a parent, there's not a whole lot you can do about it if you find it's not "your cup of tea." So, you might as well laugh about it cuz, otherwise, you'll cry.

That's why I recommend reading my book--"The Parent Trap: 51 Things to Consider Before Becoming a Parent"--before making the biggest and most important decision you will ever make. And a decis
Jenny Furner
Jan 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm a big fan of Paul Reiser. "Mad About You" was one of my favorite shows. And if you like the humor of that show, you'll enjoy the humor of this book. Also, as a recent first-time mom, there was a lot I could relate to and a lot in this book I could laugh about. It's entertaining and comical. There are a few gender stereotypes that may offend (it is over a decade old), but I would suggest not taking the book too seriously, since it clearly isn't meant to be taken seriously. It's cute and funny ...more
Janixa
May 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up-on
Maybe I'm too young to understand Reiser's humor? I was really excited to read this book. I'm obsessed with anything baby at the moment but this was a disappointment. I did not find his jokes funny and quite frankly I was bored after a few chapters. Such a shame! I was looking forward to reading about parenthood from a mans perspective. I'm usually the type to finish a book if I've started it but this one is a snooze fest!
Lisa
Sep 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction-humor
(Non-Fiction - Comedy, Parenting) My husband and I have been watching re-runs of Mad About You and we are surprised by how much we enjoy the show as late-twenty-something parents. When it was on a air, we simply remember our parents liking the show. If you like Paul Reiser and Mad About You, you will like this book. I laughed out loud and found myself agreeing with much of his commentary on babyhood.
Mari
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
This gave me lots of laughs. I didn't seek it out, just randomly found it in the non-fiction section at the library when I was looking for Babywise (never found it even though the electronic card catalog said it was on the shelf). This book made me a bit nostalgic for Mad About You, as Paul Reiser has the same sense of humour in the book as he infused into that show. It's just a good, funny memoir about becoming a parent. Enjoyed it.
Thomas Geyer
Paul Reiser’s Babyhood was a quick and fun read on his experiences raising a newborn. Most of the jokes and sarcasm throughout would have played much better in the standup comedian space, but I did find myself smiling while reading nearly every page. While nothing truly insightful was presented, Reiser’s writing was genuine and he made the material relatable.
Shannon
Jul 02, 2009 rated it it was ok
I read this about 10 years ago because someone had left it laying around at work and I can't stand to see a book go to waste by not being read. It was interesting information from a parents perspective, however I probably did not get all I should have out of the book being that I was about 17 when I read it.
Liz B
Jul 30, 2008 rated it liked it
This was a re-read. I remember it being much funnier the first time, although I did enjoy it this time around, too. Seems like I should have liked it more, though, since this time I'm reading it as a newish mom.
Shila
Jul 03, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as funny as the first. But fun.
Trudi
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another laugh out loud type book for me. EASY read, lots of laughs
Chris
Nov 06, 2007 rated it liked it
cute, quick baby prep reading
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Love and Marriage
  • I'm Not Really Here
  • What to Expect the Toddler Years
  • Good Nights: The Happy Parents' Guide to the Family Bed (and a Peaceful Night's Sleep!)
  • Everything and a Kite
  • All I Know About Animal Behavior I Learned In Loehmann's Dressing Room
  • I Had the Right to Remain Silent...But I Didn't Have the Ability
  • Guess Who Didn't Take A Nap?: A Baby Blues Collection
  • A Joyful Mother of Children: The Magic and Mayhem of Motherhood
  • Mary Kay: You Can Have It All: Lifetime Wisdom from America's Foremost Woman Entrepreneur
  • No Shirt, No Shoes...No Problem!
  • Louder Than Words: A Mother's Journey in Healing Autism
  • I'm A Stranger Here Myself
  • Mosaic: Pieces of My Life So Far
  • Milk, Money, and Madness: The Culture and Politics of Breastfeeding
  • Here Comes Snoopy (Peanuts Coronet, #6)
  • Stormie: A Story of Forgiveness and Healing