Start by marking “Ten Things I Hate about You” as Want to Read:
Ten Things I Hate about You

Ten Things I Hate about You

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  1,375 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
A romantic comedy based on the classic Shakespeare play, The Taming of the Shrew, this book is a tie-in to the new teen movie starring Larisa Oleynik, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and teen idol Andrew Keegan.
Published June 1st 1999 by Scholastic (first published March 31st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Ten Things I Hate about You, please sign up.
Henry The movie is loosely based on Shakespeare's TAMING OF THE SHREW. This book is a novelization of the movie—not source material.

Melannie :)
Jan 29, 2012 marked it as to-read
... what the?!

The movie is based on a book?!
The book is by David Levithan?!

*ahhhhhhhhhhhhh*

MUST.READ.

I love you baaaaby, and if it's quite alright I need you baaaaby, to warm a lonely night
Walid Hassan
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
رواية لا تصلح سوى للمراهقين، مقتبسة عن أحد مسرحيات شكسبير غير المشهورة
تدور الرواية الحالية حول شخص يحاول بكل الوسائل مواعدة فتاة في مدرسته الثانوية، لكن علي شرط أن يجد شخصاً لمواعدة أختها أولاً، الأحداث بها نوع من الكوميديا لكنها تخلو من أي رسالة ولا تصلح سوى لقراءة عابرة
Mnemosyne
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Emma
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: guest-reviews
Review by Steffi

10 Things I Hate About You is a movie based on the "Taming of the Shrew" written by William Shakespeare, and is a brilliant modern adaptation. Characters names are linked and I have to say when reading the play for the first time in college I found myself thinking back to the film to understand what was happening!

First of all...I absolutely love this film...like to the point I can repeat 3/4 of the film while its on, and it never fails to make me cry!

I had seen the film before I
Shiku
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
I guess this book is only for big fans of the movie. Like, big big fans. Whose life is the movie. And the movie is their life.
Okay, maybe not in such a dramatic fashion, but if you don't know/love/like the movie, this book is quite boring. While the main story is nice and could be real fun, what we get here is short and superficial and ... just not really good. It's as if Levithan ticked off the different events of the movie without going into much detail and within a few pages you're presented
Jean
Jul 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Jean by: the movie
I love it!!! But mostly I hate the way I don't hate you. Not even close, not even a little bit, not even at all.
Chiara
Nov 06, 2014 rated it liked it
I know this is a movie novelisation but SERIOUSLY, it was like reading the movie. It was so cute.
Nina
This is the only book that I was able to read during my Christmas vacation. Probably because it was really short like I finished it in one sitting.

The movie, 10 Things I Hate About You is absolutely my favorite movie or well, one of my favorites. I love the story, the characters and the plot itself. It's just so sweet and cute. In short, I totally love it despite the inconsistencies of some scenes.

The story is about two sisters, Kat and Bianca who have a strict father. Bianca can't date if Kat
Justine
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Loved it! LOVED IT!
Timmy Cham
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
If I be waspish, best beware my sting -- Taming of the Shrew (Act II: scene i)

This little paperback, made into a movie in 1999, retells Shakespeare's play The Taming of the Shrew as a high school drama: Cameron and Joey carry a torch for Bianca. Bianca wants a chance to date. The problem is, Daddy won't let her start dating before her older "shrew" of a sister, Kat, begins dating herself. Solution? Patrick Verona, who's willing to woo the difficult Kat...but only if he's compen$ated for the ardu
Dana Youst
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ten Things I Hate about You is a super short book, sitting at 170 pages and rather large print. It is the type of book that is great when you are short on time or want a break from some of the heavier books. It has been a few years since I saw the movie but it is almost exactly word for word from the movie. I do recommend the book if you like Young Adult books and want something you can read in less than two hours.
Jadine
May 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I should have looked at this book closer before getting it, I didn't realize it was just a novelization of the movie. Which is ok for a quick read I guess, which was what I was looking for. I really like this movie and it reminded me about it, since I haven't seen it in a long time.
Brianna
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Definitely not as good as the movie.
Eve
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, faves
I AM THEIR ANTI-PROM WITCH NIGHTMARE GIRL.

i am an incredibly extra 10 things fan, shocker. this is both awful and an absolute gem, 10/10
Aimee Borden
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a light, quick, easy, cute read! 💕
Julie
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The whole time I was reading this I was visualizing the movie and adding in the real lines when the book edited to keep more ya appropriate. 😝
Rosie
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: movie-tv-tie-in
Movie is so much better! But it’s fun to read when you’re bored.
Gelli Anne
Oct 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned

Meet Bianca Stratford, the most wanted sophomore at Padua High. She's sweet and pretty and totally boy-crazy.

Meet Cameron James and Joey Donner. They're both totally crazy for Bianca. Which one has her heart? Alas, neither.

For there's a hitch to the stitch: Bianca's dad, who decrees, "No way."

Translation: No dating at least until Bianca's older sister starts going out.

Which means, pretty much never.

Meet Kat Stratford. She's Bianca's surly, sarcastic sister.She hates everyone - especially the "un

Marsha
Jejeune and half-hearted, this short book is such a bare swipe at one of Shakespeare’s more problematic plays that you wonder why anybody bothered with it. The outcomes are so predictable, even without knowing Shakespeare’s original, that it’s hardly worth reading. Each chapter alternates with the thoughts of different characters but they don’t have much to say for themselves. Either the children are smirking caricatures with thudding attempts at wit or wallowing in their adolescent angst to the ...more
Zannatul Orin
Sep 14, 2013 rated it liked it
10 things I hate about you is a book also based on one of Shakespeare's famous play, The Taming of the Shrew.It is a romantic comedy book. Bianca Stratford is pretty and popular, but her strict family won't allow her to date until her older sister does: the problem is that sister Katharina is an outsider who tries to alienate any boy who might be interested in her. So Bianca's would-be boyfriend bribes fellow outsider Patrick to ask out Katharina, thinking that this sullen young man with a myste ...more
Hayle Roy
Nov 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-lit-fall-2015
I love this book, probably because I love the movie. What I loved was that they are basically the same, so I wasn't disappointed with one or the other. I would recommend this to young girls in middle or high school. It was entertaining and a good time to read it and play out the scenes in your head the way that you want them to. Cat and her sister are still very entertaining, characters and the interactions between them and their father are pretty funny. A light read for a slow afternoon.
Correna
Feb 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
This was so disappointing, David Leviathan has a poor grasp of the female characters! I know this is a scholastic book but the censoring was infuriating. I wanted to know more about the characters- maybe what I'm looking for is fanfiction. It's also really irritating that people think the book came first and '10 things' was David Leviathan's creation! It was not. The scriptwriters are two awesome women named Karen McCullah Lutz and Kirsten Smith.
papalbina
May 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: in-english
I love the movie, but this adaptation even with David Levithan writing it and even with some extra lines added didn't live up to the expectations. Like other novelisations before it's poor and simple and mostly tells the same as the movie, when I was expecting some more stuff to complete the characters... The ending is too rush, even more than in the movie.

The good thing about reading the book, and that's why it has 3 stars, is that now I feel like watching the movie again :)
Stephen
Started as a bathroom read but I was impressed by how well this novelization-of-a-movie-based-on-a-play was done. It's actually a quick, fun, read in it's own right.

Not only does it convey the spirit of the movie which I enjoyed but it skillfully omits most of those cringeworthy parts that seemed to be required for teen movie viewing.

Besides... ya gotta love a Shakespeare inspired story that retains the phrase "mewling rampalian wretch!"
Rachel McQuoid
May 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
GREAT BOOK! i really love David Levithan, i cant wait to devour more of his books! im not usually into romance-y kind of lovey dovey stories but this was literally impossible not to not love! especially as i see A LOT of myself in Kat. oh and due to the fact that i saw the movie first when i read it i practically had the whole movie playing in my head, greeeeeeat read!
Ashley Lynne
Jun 03, 2009 rated it liked it
This was a good book, but only because I've seen the movie. And this book was written based on the movie [not the other way around.:]
You probably won't like this book unless you've seen the movie, though. It sticks to the plot exact, with a few added details as far as the characters' thoughts. Only difference is that the author added more to the ending.
Gilliann Ebreo
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
David Levithan has been one of my favorite authors, but I never ever imagined nor knew that he was the genius behind 10 things I hate about you--which is one of my most favorite movies, of all time.

And the last sentence was a complete run-on, but who cares. Spazzing right now. David Levithan, you are so awesome! Kudos! :-bd
Katie
May 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
4 Stars!
I absolutely LOVE the movie 10 Things I Hate About You so when I saw the book at the library I knew I had to read it!! The book is almost exactly the same as the movie which is perfectly fine by me! It was just like I watching the movie tonight as I read it and I fell in love with it all over again (:
P's reader1
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romantic-comedy
I got this a long time ago, but I still think about it often.

It's a fun story and reminds me of that time period in my life of moving into adulthood.

The characters were well developed and it had a lot of good/different scenes, changing from laughter, to romance, to drama, and more.

Loved it!
Zoe
Apr 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
I liked it a lot because I'm a huge fan of the movie. I didn't like how some parts were edited. There was inappropriate scenes in the movie that weren't in the book, probably because at the time it was published they were selling the book to kids. I liked it though. I may be a little biased because I love David Levithan.
  • Home Alone
  • Pearl Harbor
  • The Tyrant Falls in Love, Volume 7
  • Love Actually
  • Let Dai, Volume 02
David Levithan (born 1972) is an American children's book editor and award-winning author. He published his first YA book, Boy Meets Boy, in 2003. Levithan is also the founding editor of PUSH, a Young Adult imprint of Scholastic Press.

“I hate the way you talk to me, and the way you cut your hair. I hate the way you drive my car. I hate it when you stare. I hate your big dumb combat boots, and the way you read my mind. I hate you so much it makes me sick; it even makes me rhyme. I hate it, I hate the way you're always right. I hate it when you lie. I hate it when you make me laugh, even worse when you make me cry. I hate it when you're not around, and the fact that you didn't call. But mostly I hate the way I don't hate you. Not even close, not even a little bit, not even at all.” 136 likes
“I don't like to do what people expect. Why should I live up to their expectations instead of my own?” 22 likes