Start by marking “Three Day Summer” as Want to Read:
Three Day Summer

Three Day Summer

Michael is unsure about most things. Go to college? Enlist in the military? Break up with his girlfriend? All big question marks. He is living for the moment and all he wants is a few days at the biggest concert of the summer.

Cora lives in the town hosting the music festival. She's volunteering in the medical tent. She's like that, always the good girl. But there is someth
Published May 19th 2015 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

Lola
May 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Three Day Summer contained two of my absolute pet peeves in books: insta-love and cheating.

I can stand cheating in TV shows – such as Vampire Diaries and Gossip Girl – because, normally, the fact that a TV show has a large quantity of episodes that make fully visual and develop the personality of the characters and their backgrounds, life makes it easier to take it, tolerate it and even understand the ‘‘why’’ behind it all. But books aren’t like series on television; if the author didn’t manage
Stacee
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am a huge music fan, so the idea of a book revolving around Woodstock was everything I could have wanted. Thankfully, it didn't disappoint.

Loved Cora and Michael. They're such opposites, but it really works. Michael makes Cora a little spontaneous and Cora makes Michael a bit grounded. The festival and the fun liberties that happened were a perfect background. It perfectly captured what I imagine the atmosphere of the 60s was. Especially during this 3 day weekend.

My only complaint is that I
Jamie-leigh Haughn
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Quick read but lacked substance, I wasn't a fan of the characters or the overall story, I was pretty disappointed :(
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
A fantastic, well-paced story with so much heart, humor, music, and love that I'm jealous of everyone who will be reading it for the first time this summer. I can't wait to get my copy--especially with that gorgeous cover-- and re-experience Cora and Michael's foray into Woodstock in the Summer of '69. For those of us who were born long after the festival, I think this is the second best thing to being there!
Jen Malone
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I count A Walk On The Moon among my favorite movies and loved that this book captured the tone of Woodstock in much the same way. Michael and Cora were both very likable and their verbal exchanges were completely adorable- I bought into their relationship completely. I also loved that both were struggling with the "what comes next for me" question, which fit so well with the uncertainty of that period in history (Cora has ambitions to be a doctor at a time when women were considered nurses or no ...more
Aug 19, 2015 rated it liked it

3.5 Stars

Woodstock! Three days of love, peace, mud and music. Count me in!

Three Day Summer introduces readers to Michael and Cora. Both characters shared their stories in humorous, likeable and realistic voices that made me smile. Michael so unsure of what or where to go in life and Cora so certain of her path created the perfect yin & yang couple. Opposites that find each other in a sea of people and music.

”I let the music wash over me and give in to it, feeling that our bodies know everyth
Anna
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More like 3.5 stars. I enjoyed it and it was a very quick read, but the plot & characters were very superficial. I feel like I barely knew them, even after I turned the last page.
Joy (joyous reads)
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, for-review
This is one of those instances when I wish I had enjoyed a book much better than I did. When I got the email from Simon & Schuster, I knew it was something that I could really enjoy. First, because I thought it would be a perfect summer read; and second, because the story is set in the era of love, peace and music, man. I mean, Woodstock! The music festival that started all music festivals. Iconic. Historic. It was fun to read about legendary bands and performers of the time: Hendrix, Jeffer ...more
Nicholas Doyle
May 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I zipped through this in a few hours, and honestly didn't want to be at the end of the book when I got there. I've never really had much of an affection for Woodstock (while many of my favorite bands played the festival, my natural aversion to crowds and being-away-from-showers has always made me think that I would've had a miserable time there, which also explains why I don't go to music festivals today) but Three Day Summer has made me reconsider those feelings.
Tash does a great job of making
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love books that transport me to another place and time, and THREE DAY SUMMER did just that! Throw in the fact that it’s brimming with music history and takes place in the summer, and you had me at “Thursday, August 16” (1969). It was a pleasure spending time with Michael and Cora and through them experiencing the three days of love and peace in Bethel, New York that were Woodstock. Told in alternating points of view, we get to know Michael and Cora and see how this pivotal event leads them eac ...more
Elizabeth
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Please. Like a YA book set at Woodstock could be less than amazing? Really enjoyed this one!
Mehsi
An amazing book about Love, Peace and War. About music. About two teenagers crossing paths. About finding out your destination.

The book is told from two POVs. We got Michael and we have Cora. They each have their problems and worries. Michael for instance is unsure about his future, he doesn't really want to be drafted, but he also doesn't feel like going to college. Cora on the other hand has plans, but plans that are frowned upon. She wants to become a doctor. Female doctors are rare and she
Aeicha
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Michael, the guy who has no idea what he wants to do with his life. Cora, the good girl who knows her future includes college and working in medicine. These very different teens are brought together by the epic music festival, Woodstock. Cora, who lives in the town hosting the festival, is a volunteer at the med. tent, while Michael, with his girlfriend (who he may or may not want to dump) and friends, is there to witness all the musical greats he loves. Thanks to some trippy brown acid, Cora an ...more
Hazel (Stay Bookish)
Oct 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-copy-read
Actual rating: 3.5

- Fabulous writing
- Michael and Cora had really distinctive POVs and personalities
- Cool to learn about what goes on at three day concert events
- Cute romance
Andi (Andi's ABCs)
This review was originally posted on Andi's ABCs
When I first heard about Three Day Summer I won’t lie, the cover is what intrigued me. I mean would you look at that thing? It screams 60s with those colors. And then I did some investigation and saw it took place at Woodstock. I knew I needed to read it after that. I have always been fascinated by Woodstock and what it would have been like to be there. And the good news after all that…the book lived up to the cover and my expectations.

Three Day Su
Katy Upperman
This story’s mood perfectly matches its vibrant, feel-good cover. It’s hard to put into words what I love so much about this historical novel. It just made me all sorts of happy. Its setting is one of the greatest ever: Woodstock. Its pace is quick and engaging. It’s dual-POV main characters, Cora and Michael, are incredibly likable — even the one who cheats. Its voice is light and fresh, and not just when exploring bands and skinny-dipping and bad acid trips, but also when discussing the more s ...more
Dahlia
This book is so. Much. Fun. It's entertaining, it's feel-good, it's a dual-POV in which both characters heads are fun places to be, it's full of passion for great music, has great shoutouts and cameos, it makes great use of time and place, and the chapters narrated completely on acid are some of the most naturally funny writing I've read in a while.
Helene
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is a seriously fun read about love at Woodstock. All the music references make me want a companion CD. Readers of Emery Lord's Open Road Summer should love this one. Well-written and engaging.
Amanda Snow
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, young-adult
4.5 stars. I flew this one with a smile on my face -- I just loved it! The author nailed the Woodstock vibe and created a completely delightful reading experience.
Lauren
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
A magical, romantic story about two teens whose paths cross at Woodstock. At a time when the whole world was changing, Cora and Michael follow their hearts and their dreams, Absolutely fantastic!
John Clark
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have to say right up front that this book was like my own personal time machine. As with Michael, the male protagonist, I had no clue what would happen when I heard about this awesome three day music festival in New York State. I was working on a highway crew, painting a draw bridge that spanned the Kennebec River when four of us bought tickets, cut work on a Thursday and headed for Woodstock.
Michael is piloting his mom's purple Chrysler, his bossy girlfriend Amanda and a couple friends with
Bryan Hall
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a lovely trip back to the '60s. It can't be easy to write a book in two different voices (chapters alternate between Cora's and Michael's points of view), but it works to great effect here as we get to live through the Woodstock festival through two perspectives: Cora is a local working as a candy-striper in the festival's medical tent; Michael road-tripped with friends to see Jimi Hendrix and the rest of his musical heroes. Somehow I've never watched the Woodstock concert film (tho ...more
Shari Arnold
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book completely transported me. I literally felt like I was there. Even when I wasn't reading, I was thinking of the characters and how the story would play out. Tash does an amazing job of taking an important time in history and making you feel as though you are living it. RIGHT NOW. When I finished the book I wanted to go find some footage of the concert just to see if I could see Cora and Michael in the audience. They were that real to me. Loved it.
Erika
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have always been fascinated by the 60s and Woodstock so I loved the time and setting of this book. Honestly, I loved everything about this book! The cover, Cora and Michael and their alternating point of views, the love for the color orange, the music festival culture and fashion, and of course the music. Reading this book felt like a journey in a time machine and I didn't want it to end. The perfect summer read and definitely a new favorite of mine!
nick
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
I really enjoyed this book. I found myself being transported to Woodstock. The author did such a good job capturing the atmosphere of the music festival. I also enjoyed the characters and their growth during the 3 days. I only had one minor complaint about the book and it had to do with the romance and the cheating. I could have done without it. Still, a fantastic debut!

Review to come!
Miranda Kenneally
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Reading this made me feel like I was at Woodstock!
Jennifer Meek
Jul 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
So. This book was definitely not what I thought or wanted it to be. It contains a fast love story that was very hard to believe. Also cheating (which the two main characters were totally okay with), which I think was one of the reasons the book was ruined for me.

Since it took place at the festival of Woodstock, there was also talk of drugs, which personally I don’t like in a book. Another thing that annoyed me was how short each chapter was and how much space was wasted since the chapter would
Cynthia Buck
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
A super quick, super fun read set against the backdrop of legendary music festival Woodstock. There, opposites Cora and Michael meet, and spend a three day weekend together that will change their lives for the better. The story is well paced and full of heart. The music references are fun, and though Woodstock happened before I was born, I could picture it clearly with the author's words and imagery.
mahana
Jan 08, 2015 rated it liked it
ARC kindly provided by Simon & Schuster and Edelweiss for an honest review.

This was exactly like those stories where two people meet, spend the day together and instantly have a connection. Except this spanned for three days at the 1969 Woodstock music festival for '3 Days of Peace & Music'.

This story is told in a dual point of view with Michael, visitor of the festival and music enthusiast, and Cora, who is volunteering at the festival and decides to let go and have fun at the three day
Graig Kreindler
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Being in love with anything relating to the counter-culture, mind-bending music, and overall turmoil during the 1960s, this book couldn't have been more perfect. Tash sets the stage for her love story brilliantly, as I felt like I was right there with Cora and Michael, experiencing everything with them. I also really got to know and fall in love with both characters, as the author gave a great sense as to where each was coming from (both mentally and spiritually) and what they thought about the ...more
  • Show and Prove
  • I’m Glad I Did
  • Seaside Surprises (The Seaside Hunters, #1)
  • Surviving Santiago
  • Kissing Ted Callahan (and Other Guys)
  • Naked '76
  • I Now Pronounce You Someone Else
  • The Rise and Fall of the Gallivanters
  • Trouble from the Start
  • The Go-Girl Guide : Surviving Your 20s with Savvy, Soul, and Style
  • Love & Lies: Marisol's Story
  • Winter White (Belles, #2)
  • Juniors
  • For the Record
  • Red Velvet Crush
  • See No Color
  • Dream Things True
  • The Kidney Hypothetical: Or How to Ruin Your Life in Seven Days
Sarvenaz Tash is the author of The Geek's Guide to Unrequited Love (an Amazon Best Book of the Year, YALSA Top Ten Quick Pick for Reluctant YA Readers), Virtually Yours, Three Day Summer and The Mapmaker and the Ghost. She was born in Tehran, Iran and grew up on Long Island, NY. She received her BFA in Film and Television from NYU's Tisch School of the Arts, which means she got to spend most of ...more
“There's no wrong way. Wherever you're at, you have to make it what you want it to be” 2 likes
“Now is all we have, really. And we never know when now will be the instant that changes everything.” 1 likes