Start by marking “Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List” as Want to Read:
Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List

Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  15,447 ratings  ·  1,309 reviews
Naomi loves Ely.
And she's kinda in love with him.

Ely loves Naomi.
But he prefers to be in love with boys.

Naomi and Ely have been inseparable since childhood - partially because they've grown up across the hall from each other in the same Manhattan apartment building, and also because they're best friends. Soul mates. Or are they? Just to be safe, they've created a NO KISS L
Published August 28th 2007 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List, please sign up.
Léna Carla
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  15,447 ratings  ·  1,309 reviews

John Egbert
Apr 04, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody really.
Jesus Christ, I hate this book. I want to curse and scream and use caps throughout this review, but I won't. David Leviathan is the worst freaking writer ever. Rachel Cohn isn't much better -- in fact she might be WORSE. This is what happens when two idiots decide to write a book without discussing anything previously, and then mix their idiot juice into the pages by throwing a bunch of annoying random characters into an already convoluted plot.

Ely is a huge jerk, and Naomi is a moron. As for Na
Cory
Feb 12, 2010 rated it did not like it
This book is not only worse than Twilight but it might be the worst book I've ever read. None of the characters get any of my sympathy. There is no plot. The POV jumps back and forth to characters that add nothing to the story. The use of profanities is unneeded and makes it seem like a 13 year old on drugs wrote it as a fan fiction assignment.

Usually I can find positive things to say about books but there is nothing positive I can say about this one.

I've read Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
Sandra
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
“Life tells you to take the elevator, but love tells you to take the stairs.”

I actually thought this book was going to be good.

I was so damned disappointed. And I felt this way before I finished the book. Not only did I not care about any of the characters and their inflated egos, I also did not care about what happened to them. There were so many things that bothered me about this book. And let me tell you right now that the LGBT themes in this book was not one of them.

So how do I start tal
Emily
Oct 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: not a conservative person, but a open-hearted one
I see all the low ratings, and, admittedly, they have a point.
Naomi is far from perfect. Ely is far from perfect. Neither of them are instantly lovable.
But isn't that what makes them human?!

The fact that my paperback copy of this little book has not fallen apart yet is amazing, seeing as I've read it far more times than I can count. It is a quick read, but a fantastic one. Compared to Nick and Norah's, this is far more serious (someone mentioned that it is about the tearing of a relationship as
Angela
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I usually read the book then see the movie. I review the book as one item. I review the movie as another. And then at the same time I like to compare... How things usually go though are: I read the book, then see the movie, compare the two, pick and pry, then and 99% of the time I will either say I loved the book more or I loved the movie more. Because lets be honest... We would all love to say that the book is always better, but the truth is that sometimes they're not. Doesn't mean the books ba ...more
Whitney Atkinson
My deal with David Levithan books is even if i'm not really liking it, I still can't help but love them. They're so real. They're so witty. Definitely not my favorite, but lovable characters nevertheless. Wouldn't recommend this though, sorta pointless plot and levithan/cohn have definitely done better.
laaaaames
Oct 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
A) I like multiple POVs but GEEZ there are a lot. Don't I make impassioned speeches about the overratedness of Jodi Picoult for such things?

but

B) Wow I like the exploration of sexuality (and how fluid it is) so so so much.

C) A book about 19/20 year olds is very interesting in the way that there are very rarely books about this age in this genre. I think most books I've read about 19 year olds are literary fiction.

D) OH NO YOU DID NOT MAKE ME JUST ALMOST CHOKE UP WITH A SENTENCE ABOUT KIRSTY MacC
Ria
🚺&🚹⛔💋📝

I really don’t know how to rate this. Okay bitches let me give you the story behind this… sooo I watched the movie when it came out and I loved it? so I was like ‘I really wanna buy the book’. The thing is that iii forgot to but kept it on my TBR. I know what you are thinking, why did you buy it now? Look bitch, at this point I had to buy it... so I did... also the bookstore sadly didn’t have the yellow cover that I love and it’s also wayyy smaller than I expected it to be. Whatever I
Pamela ✨I Blame Wizards✨
Two shitty people are absolute jerks to everyone. But, it's OK, they're both super hot, so we know everything will work out for them in the end.

This book was the worst.
Leigh Puzon
I didn't hate it but I didn't really like it either.
Right off the bat, we learn of Naomi's obssession on her gay best friend, Ely. She wants to marry him. Or at least let him be her first. There's a big fixation on it I found really annoying. (view spoiler) And it only just shows how predictable the story is going to be. And how I guessed the
Melanie
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was insta-love for me because I started reading it and I automatically LOVED IT. The ending was PERFECT. I might love Rachel Cohn more than David Levithan in their co-writings. Naomi and I are so alike!
Jeanne
Sep 21, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
I like Rachel Cohn (Gingerbread, Shrimp, and Cupcake). I like the title and description of this young adult novel. But I do not like this book.

Why? I should like it. It's told from different points of view. It's full of young adult angst and conflict. But none of the characters are likable.

Naomi is gorgeous and attached at the hip to Ely, her neighbor and best friend, who also happens to be gay. They've been best friends for as long as they can remember, and Naomi still envisions them getting ma
Kim

These books are like crack. Not that I’ve tried crack, but I’ve been in enough toy stores and seen enough Breaking Bad dolls that I know I would like it. It’s Rachel and David again. My two (unbeknownst to them) BFFs. Finishing this book made me sad. Like when you leave your best friend sad. I hate that.

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist
Dash & Lily's Book of Dares

I don’t recommend reading all three of these books at once. It’s best to spread them out. Like Hal Hartley films or candy corn b
Kayla
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A couple of years ago I watched and loved the movie and now I've read the book, I just love the story and the characters and just the friendship between Naomi and Ely.
sofia (sam willows)
chloe ♡
i really, really liked how platonic love was portrayed in this book ; naomi and ely's no kiss list is my read for the seventh prompt of the reading rush - read and watch a book-to-movie adaption.
YA Reads Book Reviews
If I had a cheerleading uniform and a pair of pom poms, I’d break them out right now so I could show David Levithan and Rachel Cohn just how much I love their work. I’d cheer, I’d jump, hell I might even attempt some of those crazy backward flip things. I’d definitely concoct a cheesy rhyme that I could shout at the top of my lungs that outlines my enthusiasm and appreciation. Yes, I’d go to THAT much effort.

Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist (their first collaborative novel) was so supremely pe
Weng
3/5.0 starts

description

Cute! I just finished reading this book and coincidentally came across the movie poster this morning while browsing online. (Update: Nooo..I saw the movie recently. I was disappointed.)

So, I'd like to say what draws me to this duo(Rachel Cohn and David Levithan) is the way they use music, literature and movie references to tell their own story. I don't rate their books perfect stars but at the same time, I just can't not read them anyway. There's this unmistakable pull I'm just clear
Suraya (thesuraya)
Nov 14, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

Wow. Okay.

I jumped into this book knowing nothing. I dont know the ratings given to this book. Never heard/read anyone's review on it so my judgement level is absolute zero. I'm surprised that I actually enjoyed it!

The blurb kinda explains what the book is about so go read it yourself to know whats coming your way but theres a LGBT themed inside.

1) Its told in various POVs. Some POVs are fun. Some are pointless. My fav POVs : Ely, Bruce The Second, Gabriel.

2) I dislike Naomi. I hate
Kevin (Irish Reader)
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Majorly disappointed with this book. My major issue with this book was all the different perspectives, which I really don't think was necessary. Plus I had some problems with Naomi's stereotyping of gay men, and it just really bothered me. I'm gonna watch the movie adaptation as I feel the movie will probably be better than the book.
I really hated Naomi.
Which is funny, because I have seen the movie- and I loved her and the movie itself.
However- the stars of this book where Ely and Bruce The Second.
Beautiful story of their relationship.
Amy
Jan 08, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about two really shitty people (who are allegedly best friends) treating each other and everyone around them like absolute shit.
David
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
Becareful what you wish for.

Having just finished the sublime fun of Gillian Flynn’s Gone Girl, I decided I wanted a next read that was completely different. A genre apart. Other side of the spectrum, kind of read.

Becareful what you wish for.

David Levithan and Rachel Cohn are probably best known for Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist. If you note the similarities in titles, it’s no great shock; most of their books have dual protagonists for the writing duo to work with. As with their other books
Romane
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, lgbt
It's amazing how Rachel Cohn and David Levithan could write stories that relates to the teenage or young-adult generation.

I just realized that their three novels (Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist, Dash & Lily's Book of Dares, and this one, Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List) are connected in a way. That bathroom with the writings! It's so brilliant.

As for the plot, I'm totally cool with the interchanging perspective of the characters, but the he-robin and she-robin part confused the hell out o
Nicole Craswell
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Definitely a very quick read. I started off being just kind of eh about this book. Naomi annoyed me and I didn't really love any of the characters. But as I kept reading I kind of grew to really like it. Neither Ely or Naomi are perfect people, they both have their strengths of course, but they're also both extremely flawed. This book did a fantastic job of showing that and showing how they learned from their flaws and simultaneously accepted them as a part of themselves, and learned from them. ...more
♡Ann  Matalines♡

In order to survive the book, you need to endure the sucky character of Naomi at the beginning. I usually like best friend love stories but this is kind of sticky and the love interest are really complicated. Well it was a light read but I can't imagine the next time I will reread it.
Airiz C
The situation: You are a girl who is in love with this boy ever since you can remember. You two are inseparable, because you have already formed a strong bond when you were still but wee things that live next to each other in an equally wee apartment. The problem is, even if he does love you, it’s only a sisterly/ friendly affection…and it’s because he prefers to be in love with boys. Yes, girl: he’s gay.

In order to protect your friendship, you created a “No Kiss List”, which is, as the name say
Shay
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have mixed feelings on this book...

So, Naomi and Ely have been best friends forever, Naomi loves Ely, Ely loves boys. They have a very unique relationship and I was never quite sure whether Ely had always known Naomi loved him or not. So, the No Kiss List is a list they have of boys neither of them is allowed to kiss in case it might ruin their friendship and cause them to break up. Bruce #2, Naomi's boyfriend, was not on the list and Ely kissed him, leading to the big blow up that this book i
If You Like.. The...: Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List 1 8 Jan 16, 2017 08:16PM

• Thinking Straight
  • Eight Seconds
  • Outtakes of A Walking Mistake
  • So Hard to Say
Rachel grew up in the D.C. area and graduated from Barnard College with a B.A. in Political Science. She has written many YA novels, including three that she cowrote with her friend and colleague David Levithan. She lives and writes (when she's not reading other people's books, organizing her music library or looking for the best cappuccino) in New York City.
“It's bullshit to think of friendship and romance as being different. They're not. They're just variations of the same love. Variations of the same desire to be close.” 1711 likes
“We always see our worst selves. Our most vulnerable selves. We need someone else to get close enough to tell us we’re wrong. Someone we trust.” 1373 likes