Start by marking “The Midnight Games” as Want to Read:
The Midnight Games

The Midnight Games

When Nate sneaks into Ivor Wynne Stadium to check out the midnight games that are keeping his neighborhood up at night, he knew something wasn’t right, but he had no idea how strange—and deadly—things would be. He has stumbled upon one of the rituals of the Resurrection Church of the Ancients, and soon his days and nights are dogged by ancient books, giant centipedes, and ...more
Published May 1st 2016 by Wolsak and Wynn Publishers Ltd (first published May 20th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Midnight Games, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Midnight Games

Start your review of The Midnight Games
Freda Mans-Labianca
Sep 18, 2016 rated it liked it
A unique story!
I love that it's based in my hometown, and oddly enough, in my neighborhood. Taking a trip through the neighborhood in this book is different though. We don't have any crazy happenings at the former Ivor Wynne Stadium, that I know of anyway, and I live right across the street from it so I should know.
I'd be scared out of my mind if the things in the book happened in my neighborhood. Geez.
Which brings me to the only downside I felt about this book. I felt it was geared for an older
The Master
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. A terrifying and well-developed placement of Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos in Hamilton. The grey, post-industrial landscape of the city's east end provides an atmospheric setting for the story. The local football stadium serves as a focal point for cosmically obscene rituals. Grisly horrors abound, with appearances by Lovecraftian monstrosities both familiar and new. My mind almost cracked apart during some scenes. The "sorcerer" was a brilliant touch.
J.H.  Gordon
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, horror
A YA novel that pays homage to H.P. Lovecraft, this book is load of fun. It has gore (human sacrifice at the football stadium, nerdy demon-fighters (a brainy high school kid, a librarian, and a Lovecraft stand in) all rolled into a gritty industrial city setting. I also love the sense of place that Lee creates, but I might be biased; the story is set in my hometown of Hamilton, Ontario.
Jane Mulkewich
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was the 2016 winner of the Hamilton literary award for the book that "best conveys the spirit of Hamilton", and congrats to David Lee because this book captures Hamilton's setting marvellously. The plot of the book is a bit "way out there", described as "Lovecraftian horror", but it was a page turner, and I was compelled to keep reading until the end, which left us with a bit of a cliff-hanger, and I understand that there is a sequel in the works.
Adam Rosen
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic inter-dimensional tentacled teen drama set in real world Hamilton, Ontario

Twelve-year-old Nate battles giant centipede-like dritches in his back-yard. A cultish church is trying to bring back the old gods. With the help of his friends and secret underground societies, certain trans-dimensional doom is averted for the time being. Remarkably grounded in Hamilton, Ontario, this debut novel sets up an epic struggle that will be a pleasure to read.
Alex Harvey
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun YA romp tackling Lovecraft mythos that gets spooky at the right times, and kickass at others. Lee gets the right amount of detail that evokes my home town of Hamilton (which is a personal plus for me) and the characters are fun and likeable.
Phredric
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Thoroughly enjoyable YA read, and an homage to HP Lovecraft. Lee creates a great sense of plave, and part of the charm is Cthulhu and company side by side with Hamilton, Ontario
Rachel Wallace
Nov 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well-written, and delightfully local, this fantasy-thriller left me looking forward to the sequel!
Heather
Oct 25, 2015 marked it as to-read
It was interesting to read about a nearby city and learn more than I'd known about it before. Good story, good plot and good ending. ...more
elaine

• Saga, Vol. 4
  • Saga, Vol. 6
  • Saga, Vol. 7
  • Saga, Vol. 5
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
  • Immortal Hulk, Vol. 1: Or is he Both?
  • The Fold (Threshold, #2)
  • The Last Astronaut
  • Shades of Milk and Honey (Glamourist Histories, #1)
  • The Possession (The Anomaly Files #2)
  • Big Mile Cycling: Ten Years. 60000 Miles. One Dream